• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Media format not supported by this forum so you have to click the link and scroll down to the second video, not the first.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...rning-america-gma-says-not-racist/2775490002/

When I read that movie interview I had several problems with the whole thing.

I wasn't happy with him talking about someone else's rape story because something like that should be consulted with the victim even if you avoid naming them. His whole revenge story further cemented that it was all about his anger more than helping her move on.

It turns out she passed away five years ago so it is fine to bring it up independently but his rationale that he was out to defend her honor basically confirms it was all about his anger which annoys me.

The second problem was how he leaned hard onto racist attitudes to hurt any individual instead of looking for a specific person. Even in this interview he states again he asked his friend what was their race and left it at that. The interviewer has to ask him a minute later how many people are agitated that he focused on race and didn't ask for any additional details. Robin then asks him if he asked more than that and he says yes.

I find his answer problematic because he implies that race was the most important qualifier in his inquiry. He should be scrutinized for how he emphasized that.

Lastly my last concern was how dangerous he could be now and whether or not he got actual help. He talked to a priest which is one type of professional I hope he had reached out to and he discussed this with closest friends. I do think he has learned to control his anger but I would be wary of him if he was in stressful situations or under the influence moreso than other people.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the third thread about this. Use the search function before making threads people.

EDIT: Seems like it's a new interview. Sorry OP!

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many threads do we have now about that interview?
edit.
What? Another one?

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is still some devious thinking. Also, had it been a hypotherical White rapist he admits he would have hunted down a specific ethnicity. For the Black rapist, any Black would do. He's a mess and I hope he sought counseling outside of clergy.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
People cant even google shit for 2 mins before they declare they dont wanna talk about shit. Smh.

Anyway. My issue is dude didn't seem to understand the extent of how fucked up what he admitted to was. Here we see he sees it a bit more seriously but meh, I am not gonna pretend like its cool now.

Nov 30, 2018
Can't imagine his mind ever since his wife died

"If she has said an Irish, or a Scot, or a Brit, or a Lithuanian, I know I would've felt the same effect. I was trying to... stand up for my dear friend in this terrible medieval fashion."

As would anybody do in that case.

Dec 2, 2017
This is still some devious thinking. Also, had it been a hypotherical White rapist he admits he would have hunted down a specific ethnicity. For the Black rapist, any Black would do. He's a mess and I hope he sought counseling outside of clergy.

Exactly. Possible white perpetrators get the honour of distinction but black people obviously all look the same. This over-privileged white man continues to expose himself.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Liam Neeson said:
If she has said an Irish, or a Scot, or a Brit, or a Lithuanian, I know I would've felt the same effect. I was trying to... stand up for my dear friend in this terrible medieval fashion.

Oh, OK, he's just lying now. He shouldn't have brought it up if he wasn't going to have an honest discussion.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't look it up right now, but I think there are studies that show a lot of rape victims don't come forward to their family or close friends precisely because they don't want them to fly off the cuff on some misguided quest for vengeance and end up in jail or worse. It's like they're being victimized twice.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's okay, he's not a racist. He would've randomly killed anyone.

his publicist should just quit

Oct 31, 2017
He stalked black areas of the city in anger armed with a weapon intent to kill someone because of their race. I'm sure he intimidated people even if he didn't physically harm someone.

This is very off-putting to me. And most people are going to empathize with his irrationally violent anger before they empathize with the collective pain of black people who still deal with this shit consistently. Think how many people thought Jussie Smollett's story was so unbelievable, it's disgusting how consistently our pain is denied or most often used to make fun

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
He's apparently been doing movies non stop since that happened as a way to avoid thinking about it, he probably needs a therapist really badly.

Yeah its pretty well known in acting circles that Liam has been drowning himself in acting to not have enough free time to be with himself after hus wife died. He needs help because he doesnt deal with loss well.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Racist shit aside, he is turning this woman's assault into his own personal tragedy.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
And most people are going to empathize with his irrationally violent anger before they empathize with the collective pain of black people who still deal with this shit consistently. Think how many people thought Jussie Smollett's story was so unbelievable, it's disgusting how consistently our pain is denied or most often used to make fun

Pretty much how I feel.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The same people who think Trayvon Martin "deserved it" are tweeting their support for Neeson for his "personal growth."

It's almost like the common factor is the fact that they want black people to die.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know the context of the interview but they've been going on about it a lot on the radio the last couple of days.

It's really bad that his first instinct was to kill a black guy, regardless of who they were. That doesn't help the woman that was raped nor anyone else for that matter and would only serve to satiate his own desire for violence.

I'm glad he didn't hurt anyone, but how many people do? How many people get it into their head that they want to hurt someone and they succeed?

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
He stalked black areas of the city in anger armed with a weapon intent to kill someone because of their race. I'm sure he intimidated people even if he didn't physically harm someone.

This is very off-putting to me. And most people are going to empathize with his irrationally violent anger before they empathize with the collective pain of black people who still deal with this shit consistently. Think how many people thought Jussie Smollett's story was so unbelievable, it's disgusting how consistently our pain is denied or most often used to make fun
Not only that but they are instantly redeemed without asking forgiveness or showing any growth. IE Mel Gibson

OP
OP
mutantmagnet

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Exactly. Possible white perpetrators get the honour of distinction but black people obviously all look the same. This over-privileged white man continues to expose himself.
Ehh the person you are responding to is implying differently.

It is fair to say most people don't make distinctions among people from the Americas and people from Africa aside from actual black people and specifically black folk not from the US. There definitely is a widespread tendency to homegenize to the point I don't think it is worth as much to call out any specific individual for that.

Meanwhile while Europeans are still more prone to making distinctions among national lines that has historically led to ethnic wars.

The person you replied to was saying Liam was still thinking like a bigot because he would go after any Brit or any Lithuanian, etc.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
16STEVE-articleLarge.jpg

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
It was after he returned home from 'overseas', so in NI. He also now specifies this as having taken place around 40 years ago, so late 70s/early 80s.
Right see there wouldn't have been that many black people in the country at that stage. Very very few. Nothern Ireland was also a very violent place at the time.

I'm not excusing it but you can understand why she would use a black person as a descripter at that time. And you could understand why he was waiting for someone who matches that description. It was a very very different time in a country that flat out wasn't used to people of a different colour. Thankfully nothing happened though.

Ireland in general only really became multi cultural in the past 10 years it or so.

Now we're very cultural aware but in the 70s or 80s, not a chance. The guys in the north were too busy fighting amonst themselves to even have the time to be culturally sensitive.

My main question though is why he bothered to bring this up. I don't think anyone would ever have found this out.

I think Liam will bounce back from this though. I hope so. I think the death of his wife has hit him pretty hard.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen the interview, but I like this statement from the NAACP:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/04/arts/liam-neeson-racist.html

"It's unfortunate and sick that Liam Neeson would in response to a tragedy simply seek out any black person to murder," Malik Russell, a spokesman for the N.A.A.C.P., said in an email. "Pain suffered is not an excuse for racism."

"If black people responded this way regarding all the times our ancestors were lynched, raped, mutilated, tortured or shot down by police brutality, there would be too many bodies to count," Mr. Russell added. "The fact that black people have been able to not blame every white person for the deeds of racist whites is a tribute to our character as a people."

We normalize Black racism too much. Even another poster said that we're all implicitly racists against black people yesterday. Very weird.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As would anybody do in that case.

Nope.

I'd stay with my loved one at a time when they are feeling the most vulnerable, knowing that they're going through something that I can't even comprehend and that their needs and wants are far important than a base instinct for vengeance on a nameless person in that moment.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is there any mod explanation for why the other thread remains closed? At first it was shut down to review since there were a lot of reports, then just changed to "if there's new info make another thread". I messaged a mod and got no response.

Oct 26, 2017
I can't look it up right now, but I think there are studies that show a lot of rape victims don't come forward to their family or close friends precisely because they don't want them to fly off the cuff on some misguided quest for vengeance and end up in jail or worse. It's like they're being victimized twice.
Wouldn't surprise me. It's pretty common for people to react similar....ish...to Neeson. And minus the racism. Just dealt with it last year and I groaned at my friends who immediately wanted to go to this guy's house and beat the shit out of him. It helps nothing, and it feels like someone puffing out chest to show how tough and strong they are. What a friend to defend her honor! Macho bullshit. I understand the emotion of it, but still an embarassing, childish reaction.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Racist shit aside, he is turning this woman's assault into his own personal tragedy.

Yeah. That rubbed me the wrong way for personal reasons(though I haven't always been perfect in that regard).

Better to consider her perspective and then, of course, reassess the kind of person you want to be.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Depends what's racist about that statement I posted

I asked you to speak for yourself. What does you not seeing what is racist about the statement you posted have to do with what I said? This man stalked the streets hoping to find a black person to bludgeon to death, he is now claiming that any ethnicity would have been enough and you said that anyone would have done the same.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Right see there wouldn't have been that many black people in the country at that stage. Very very few. Nothern Ireland was also a very violent place at the time.

I'm not excusing it but you can understand why she would use a black person as a descripter at that time. And you could understand why he was waiting for someone who matches that description. It was a very very different time in a country that flat out wasn't used to people of a different colour. Thankfully nothing happened though.

Ireland in general only really became multi cultural in the past 10 years it or so.

Now we're very cultural aware but in the 70s or 80s, not a chance. The guys in the north were too busy fighting amonst themselves to even have the time to be culturally sensitive.

My main question though is why he bothered to bring this up. I don't think anyone would ever have found this out.

I think Liam will bounce back from this though. I hope so. I think the death of his wife has hit him pretty hard.
"A different time" has never been a good excuse. You don't have to be super woke even by 70s to understand lynching one black for the crimes of another is evil. he had been describe as a white man would have gone after any random white man he saw?

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lastly my last concern was how dangerous he could be now and whether or not he got actual help.
Now? Only because he put this out there? As opposed to the past few decades?
I wish people wouldnt play into making it all about him and at least try to have a discussion/educate people on how to handle themselves when someone close is assaulted.