• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
LG today announced that its 2019 E9 and C9 OLED televisions will support NVIDIA's G-Sync technology to make what darn well will be a killer display for console gaming.
What is G-Sync, you ask? Here's how NVIDIA puts it:
NVIDIA G-SYNC is groundbreaking new display technology that delivers the smoothest and fastest gaming experience ever. G-SYNC's revolutionary performance is achieved by synchronizing display refresh rates to the GPU in your GeForce GTX-powered PC, eliminating screen tearing and minimizing display stutter and input lag. The result: scenes appear instantly, objects look sharper, and gameplay is super smooth, giving you a stunning visual experience and a serious competitive edge.
Translate that from a desktop computer experience to your television, and it means this: Games will be as smooth as Al Green on a late summer's day.
In addition, the E9 and C9 TVs will allow games to be played in HDR10 or Dolby Vision at up to 120 frames per second (at full HD resolution), thanks to the low-latency modes of HDMI 2.1.
The new features will be enabled via a software update in the coming weeks, LG says.

So I guess I'm looking at OLEDs again when I was thinking about getting the TCL 8 series.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck YES!!!!

I've been wanting this!

Now, all we need are HDMI 2.1 GPU's to release and my dream TV/PC gaming setup will be complete.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
This won't work on consoles since GSYNC is Nvidia exclusive. The TV would have to also support some sort of Freesync (which I'm guessing it does since its free).

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Does this translate to consoles (next gen) or PC only?

Glad I got a C9!

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bought last year's LG OLED and love it but like

i'm not seriously considering this but like

đź‘€

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
G-Sync Compatible would mean it's actually Freesync / adaptive sync that's been certified to work with NVidia GPUs, I think?

Last edited:

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
This won't work on consoles since GSYNC is Nvidia exclusive. The TV would have to also support some sort of Freesync (which I'm guessing it does since its free).
That might actually be the case.

It's still good that more TV's will be supporting VRR features.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Err, how would this work? Would you need a DisplayPort converter that doesn't exist yet?

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
This is not Gsync, this is Gsync compatible which most freesync screens are (we'll, not all of them but if you have a recent freesync monitor it is probably compatible with it).
Not gonna lie but Gsync has a naming issue and causes confusion like this. There's also Gsync v2 which is not even listet here.

nvidia-g-sync-monitor-stack-comparison.png

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
That's a weird way to market it if they just have Nvidia compatible Freesync. Wouldn't you want people to know it works with Xbox One?

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
That's a weird way to market it if they just have Nvidia compatible Freesync. Wouldn't you want people to know it works with Xbox One?
The LG C9 supports HDMI 2.1 VRR, not freesync, the Xbox one X supports both. Right now on PC there is 0 support for VRR, since none of the GPU's have HDMI 2.1. So this news is a nice bonus for anyone with a C9.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this also means that Nvidia are allowing G Sync Compatibility through HDMI finally.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
I was planning on getting the C9 this holiday anyway. Bonus for me. Now do I upgrade my PC this year or the next?

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
The LG C9 supports HDMI 2.1 VRR, not freesync, the Xbox one X supports both. Right now on PC there is 0 support for VRR, since none of the GPU's have HDMI 2.1. So this news is a nice bonus for anyone with a C9.
Didn't know that. I thought Samsung were the only ones with any form of VRR before this.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Yeah, this is good. But I use RTSS to lock my fps in PC games to 60fps when I play on my C8. Still, if/when I get a new TV g-sync would be a bonus.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hope next-gen aims to take advantage of this as often as possible.

I hope some of the more refined uses of temporal reconstruction can be used in console gaming to aim for lower native resolution rendering and higher target framerates. I know Gears 5 is a very specific use case and very much was labored away at reaching the 60fps target, but the result is ultimately quite incredible, and I think with even a mid-tier PC resemblance in the next gen spec, we could see 120Hz achieved fairly regularly -- at least, assuming we're okay with the sacrifice being current-gen picture quality.

Nov 8, 2017

"G-sync" and "Free-sync" are simply Nvidia and AMD branding for their software/driver implementation of variable refresh rate technologies. This being Gsync compatible doesn't mean it won't work with consoles or AMD hardware, unless it's using a proprietary HW module (which it's not).

Nvidia has been supporting Gsync without hardware modules for years via laptop displays, and this year opened it up to external monitors.

There is nothing stopping AMD and LG from working together to let these TV's support Freesync - the hardware required is all there, although it would probably mean a TV update and maybe also a GPU driver update.

I guess this also means that Nvidia are allowing G Sync Compatibility through HDMI finally.

Yes this is one of the biggest takeaways from here - although it may end up being something stupid like "only on hdmi 2.1 compatible TV's". Hopefully not.

The other big takeaway is that this probably means that HDMI 2.1 TV's may end up getting broad support for PC VRR at least from LG and (almost certainly) Samsung.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Given that I've had my current TV for over a decade, it may be worthwhile to invest in a more future proof upgrade...

At least, until MicroLED becomes affordable.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Very cool. I rock a B7 LG OLED and was thinking about possibly upgrading in 2021. The 9 series is insane. Picture is basically the same though.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Super noob question but I always thought G-Sync was mostly useful for preventing tearing/stuttering at variable FPS's (which is usually at the maximum of the GPU's capability).

It has been a few years since I've played on a console, but is screen tearing ever actually an issue on console? I didn't think it was.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
What about the B9? It's essentially the same TV as the C9 with a lower peak brightness. Its HDMI-VRR compatible. I'm aiming to pick one up this Black Friday but if this is exclusive to the C9 and higher I may spend the extra cash.

Edit: a quick google search shows it will also be coming to the B9. Great news.

Oct 25, 2017
I continue to be mad at myself for buying the C8. No AirPlay update. No VRR. Should have just got a B7 for cheaper.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not Gsync, this is Gsync compatible which most freesync screens are (we'll, not all of them but if you have a recent freesync monitor it is probably compatible with it).
Not gonna lie but Gsync has a naming issue and causes confusion like this. There's also Gsync v2 which is not even listet here.

nvidia-g-sync-monitor-stack-comparison.png

most freesync screens are not G-SYNC Compatible, as that requires testing by Nvidia. Most just have unvalidated G-SYNC support (unrepresented in that chart) since it was recently unlocked. but I guess this just furthers your point that the naming scheme is fucked. A screen can be 'compatible with G-SYNC' but not 'G-SYNC Compatible'. They should have called it certified or something

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"We are excited to bring G-SYNC Compatible support to LG's 2019 OLED TVs and HDMI Variable Refresh Rate support to our GeForce RTX 20-Series GPUs,"

Why am I not surprised at this? Welp, time to sell my 1070 Ti.

edit: GTX 16-series is also supported

"LG E9 and C9 models, ranging in size from 55 to 75-inches, will receive G-SYNC Compatible firmware updates later this year. Simultaneously, we'll release a new GeForce Game Ready Driver, enabling GeForce RTX and GeForce GTX 16-Series gamers to connect their PCs via HDMI to validated G-SYNC Compatible LG TVs."

Source: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/lg-gsync-compatible-hdmi-big-screen-gaming/

Last edited:

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Urrrrrggghhhhh I kinda hate that this is happening now that I am looking to build a new PC and buy a new TV.......

It's so fucking expensive.

Sgs2008

Mar 25, 2019
O nice ! Bought a c9 a month ago and only reason I was hesitating hooking my pc up to it was lack of g-sync

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019