Tethered Penguin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So recently I discovered this article from Wikipedia detailing LGBT demographics, and unsurprisingly there aren't that many queer folk.

Given this I've been wondering.... how do LGBT folk the world over fare in finding a partner? With an already small dating pool and with people bearing a variance of personalities and characters , how do y'all find the "one" or a "one" for that matter?

Also , if any of y'all have any types of articles or studies concerning the LGBT population of any other country, a link would be very much appreciated!

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
So much it is ridiculous.
But I am a bisexual trans woman in a country that straight men find gay to date me and a scary amount of lesbians are TERFs
And I am ugly so that also helps xD

Oct 29, 2017
Bi male, and quite surprisingly I've been able to go on dates with guys with far more ease. With women it's been a total ghost town and next to completely impossible. Some combination about my age, height, being a grad student, and nationality that manages to turn off every woman but with guys there's zero issue.

No word on finding an actual partner so maybe it's a tortoise and hare thing, idk.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Bi guy here.

Nope, not really, I never got to be single long after my first ex since people would kinda come my way and it'd work out from there without me having to reach out and introduce myself/go out/etc.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Casual sex is easy to get, but a relationship won't happen for me. I hate myself and my body too much. I don't even like the sex any more but I do it to convince myself life is worth living for me any more. I don't pass enough by any definition and nobody will accept me. I try to make myself look and sound better, but to no avail. Surprised I haven't killed myself yet.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like sex is far easier but finding people you are compatible with that are actually looking for a real relationship is hard especially because it is much harder to just happen to run across a random person that you also have a chance with.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like sex is far easier but finding people you are compatible with that are actually looking for a real relationship is hard especially because it is much harder to just happen to run across a random person that you also have a chance with.
This is pretty much my experience as well. I've even started basically just completely avoiding hooking up for at least the first couple dates, and I've found it's been incredibly hard to actually get anybody to have a second date with me if I don't fuck them on the first one.

I don't really know how to meet other gay men outside of the apps, and the culture of the apps just leans so strongly towards hooking up that most of the time I've already seen a guy's dick and asshole before we've even had a full conversation. When you're tired of having NSA sex and are looking for a deeper connection, it feels like there's not really a good space for you to find that so you have to be willing to do a LOT of filtering. It gets exhausting, I basically have to have dating be this side hobby that I don't take that seriously because when I actually try to put more effort into it the results are depressing.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I'm not looking to date anyone or even sex for that matter.

Currently just focusing on my career. At least that's what I tell myself. :p

Most of my life I've just had crushes on people and never tell them or do and get denied anyway.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
I tend to receive a lot of dick pics on dating apps even though my profile specifically says I'm not looking for casual sex. I'm not sure anyone reads anything you write on them. They look at your picture and then decide to just send a dick pic. Then the guys I message never message me back or ghost after a few messages.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
I found my partner quite a long time ago on a local gay dating site. Grindr style apps weren't really a thing back then so I don't really really know how I'd fare in today's dating world. Hopefully I don't ever have to find out, especially since I live in a small country so the pool of candidates isn't too big.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I met my boyfriend at a Halloween party and that was pretty much it. Been together five years. I think I pretty much got good luck in that department. Before that, went on dates based off of people I was in class with and mutual friends.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I've had some difficulties finding a partner, yeah. Am bi. Doesn't help that I'm perpetually shy and picky about what guys I'm into.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I attempted to use a dating app but was too awkward to really use it properly and then kinda forgot about it. Past that, I haven't really tried.

Apal_ytos

Oct 29, 2017
Greece
Hookup apps have been a blessing to me. Living in a small town, with no gay spots, apps made it easy to meet up with people.
And all my relationships started as hookups from apps.
I met my bf about a year ago, for sex, but we found out we also had a good connection outside of the bed.
So we gave it a go, we are approaching our one year anniversary and about to move in together.

Gigan

Oct 27, 2017
I found my boyfriend in the most random way, which is good since I'm a shy dude and don't like the whole dating process. My brothers made me create a blog where I posted some random edgy stuff and I got quite quickly bored with it. Stopped checking the blog and logged on one year later to delete it. One dude had left a comment on one of my posts the day prior and we started talking. We've been together for the last 13 years. If I had deleted my blog one day prior, I would have never met him.
(sorry for my grammar, I'm tired af...)

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Casual sex is easy to get, but a relationship won't happen for me. I hate myself and my body too much. I don't even like the sex any more but I do it to convince myself life is worth living for me any more. I don't pass enough by any definition and nobody will accept me. I try to make myself look and sound better, but to no avail. Surprised I haven't killed myself yet.
Please talk to someone. We all have low points, some last longer than others. If you hold on long enough you'll see things turn around.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Hookup culture has made socializing as a gay guy a mixed experience. On the one hand it's easy to find sex partners, and physical intimacy is almost an icebreaker. (But then there's the issue of people assuming your sexual role based on your appearance, which is a bit of a downer when you don't match a stereotype.) On the other, it would be nice if more guys were interested in making friends and getting courted without the expectation of immediate or inevitable sex.

As I get older and more interested in long term relationships and authentic connections, gay promiscuity is kind of an obstacle.

If you're going to use an app, which is obviously by far the most convenient way to meet local guys, sex is kind of like your entry fee into a potential friend's life. It's a little awkward to be all like "I'm not sure if we should be friends" after some guy has gargled your dick. You know what I mean?

Last edited:

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Met my BF last year around the time I hit 30, previous 12 years of dating were awful, have about 7 ex's but spent about 8 years single. My current was a one night stand but when I saw he was into the same hobbies and stuff I was into (never seen a gay guy into Pokemon Cards) we went on a date and now one year later moving in together :)

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of large cities the potential dating pool tends to be... lacking in both quality and quantity. Apps help but tend to be better for more casual connections.

The Office of National Statistics has some information on the UK population. According to the 2017 data, 2% of the adult population identifies as LGB, rising to 2.6% in London. Young adults (16-24) have a higher rate of identification, 4.2%.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ity/sexuality/bulletins/sexualidentityuk/2017

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Not for me, my partner and I started dating when we 16, still in High School. Both 20 now and still going strong :)

edit: I guess I should say I'm a bi male, my partner is a bi trans-girl.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't been that difficult for me, but yeah I've got the feeling i kinda got lucky. We met each other thru one of those smartphone gay "dating" app, although I clearly stated in there my expectations. Almost 7y together now :)

Interframe

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Contrary to popular belief, I've actually met people on grindr who I've made made deep connections and relationships with beyond only sex, and have dated of course. I think it depends on the first impression you give people. I think a lot of gay guys actually want a relationship but are also a little concerned about full commitment (either sexual or in terms of a life commitment), but that's not too different for heterosexual people either, in case my queer peeps feel low from hearing that. I live in the suburbs outside of Toronto, for reference. Your milage may very depending on where you're located.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too nervous to go out and find someone at the moment. Though I get hit on all the time by a buncha people who don't even know me....not exactly what I'm looking for though.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Hang in there bud. Us "just because we post obsessively about Kanye, people think we're stans" folks gotta stick together 😉

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
I've somehow ended up in a situation where most of my friends are queer, and I have one or two token cis straight friends. I can only assume I'm infecting the water supply or something. :P
But on a serious note, most of my friends are women, so it took me a little while to find my current BF? Especially since I'm not a fan of night clubs and stuff like that. But finding him at 21 is still pretty good imo.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Bi male, and quite surprisingly I've been able to go on dates with guys with far more ease. With women it's been a total ghost town and next to completely impossible. Some combination about my age, height, being a grad student, and nationality that manages to turn off every woman but with guys there's zero issue.

No word on finding an actual partner so maybe it's a tortoise and hare thing, idk.
I mirror this sentiment. I already am dating a guy now so whatever.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Meh, being Bi, I sometimes feel it's best to pretend I'm straight/gay depending on who I interact with. The unfortunate reality is that people think I'm a total slut by default, be they gay or straight. It hurts a lot, tbh.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty difficult, I'm a gay man in an area where being gay is in and there's a ton of them, but that also makes it much more difficult to find others. Everyone just looks for hookups on grindr and I'm just not into the thought of NSA sex.

It's been pretty soul crushing, especially when toy fall for someone who you really enjoy but they turn out to either be straight or in a relationship.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much my experience as well. I've even started basically just completely avoiding hooking up for at least the first couple dates, and I've found it's been incredibly hard to actually get anybody to have a second date with me if I don't fuck them on the first one.

I don't really know how to meet other gay men outside of the apps, and the culture of the apps just leans so strongly towards hooking up that most of the time I've already seen a guy's dick and asshole before we've even had a full conversation. When you're tired of having NSA sex and are looking for a deeper connection, it feels like there's not really a good space for you to find that so you have to be willing to do a LOT of filtering. It gets exhausting, I basically have to have dating be this side hobby that I don't take that seriously because when I actually try to put more effort into it the results are depressing.

Sooo true here. Guys get almost offended sometimes if they message you wanting a hookup and you say you're just looking for a relationship. Replies I've gotten range from the nice "Oh, no thanks then, good luck! to the shitty "You're too fat anyway." Lmao.

That being said, out of all the dating apps out there that I've used, I just started talking to a guy on Twitter who is just exactly who I've been looking for. Cute as hell, incredibly sweet and seems to have a solid plan for his career/education. We spent this past weekend together and it was amazing 🥰☺️ I'd have never found him with a traditional dating app cause he lives about an hour and a half away. So yeah, maybe try that! Or Facebook? More users probably by an order of magnitude than the traditional dating apps and covers a larger area. You'll find someone!!

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
I'm dating the same girl I was dating pre-transition so I haven't had issues. While being trans and poly-amorous though, I haven't been able to find a second partner. Most of my trans friends are single too and can't find partners.

IzzyRX