• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Archmage

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about trying to put together some kind of official Queer Cinema of 2018 for the last couple of weeks.

Currently I only have 2 solid choices, which is "Call me by your Name" and "God's Own Country".

It seems like 2018 has been slim pickings for mainstream LGBTQ+ offerings.

The only other movie of note that I've seen this year was a documentary about a FTM person working out his thoughts about what sex actually means, and whether or not penetration is the goal of sex.

I've been searching for the title for the last 20 minutes, and if anyone is interested, I can try to locate it. It was a very limited release. But really good!

I saw the movie together with the main "actor" at a screening in my home-town, Malmoe, Sweden (with Q:A afterwards) and while it was very sweet, touching and interesting, it's also telling that I have to scramble for these kinds of extremely niche, edge-cases when I'm trying to make an LGBTQ+ film list for 2018.

Outside of a fairly mainstream movie, a british indie-darling, and the type of movie that you have to actively seek out, 2018 has been very meager in terms of on-screen LGBTQ+ visibility.

I would feel silly making a thread with so few examples, so I was wondering if you can tell me about LGBTQ+ cinema that you've encountered, and that I haven't already covered.

And if 2018 truly is a very slim cinema-year for us, that could - by itself - be something interesting to talk about.

...(rather than scrambling for any scrap of LGBTQ+ media in order to salvage the idea that we're still on an upward-trajectory in terms of representation. It could be that this has been a shit year, and that's ok.)

Cheers.

Don't forget about Love Simon.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
Don't forget about Love Simon.

I haven't seen it, and all that I've heard about it is that it's a "basic-bitch" product, in the way that it hewes so closely to straight, light, rom-com that it no longer has any particular gay voice.

Kinda like the "crocs" of gay cinema.

It's still definitely an interesting facet of LGBTQ+ cinema in 2018, in terms of where we are heading as a culture captured on film, so thanks for mentioning it.

It genuinely wasn't even on my mind, though it's been very successful - as far as I know - for mainstream audiences.

If nothing else, it's important to mention and contextualize.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen it, and all that I've heard about it is that it's a "basic-bitch" product, in the way that it hewes so closely to straight, light, rom-com that it no longer has any particular gay voice.

Kinda like the "crocs" of gay cinema.

It's still definitely an interesting facet of LGBTQ+ cinema in 2018, in terms of where we are heading as a culture captured on film, so thanks for mentioning it.

It genuinely wasn't even on my mind, though it's been very successful - as far as I know - for mainstream audiences.

If nothing else, it's important to mention and contextualize.

On the other hand, I think it's good that LGBT films can go mainstream too. It's nice to know there are bland romcoms for straight teenagers and also bland romcoms for gay teenagers.

I don't think LGBT representation should limit itself to either supporting characters or artsy films.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
On the other hand, I think it's good that LGBT films can go mainstream too. It's nice to know there are bland romcoms for straight teenagers and also bland romcoms for gay teenagers.

I don't think LGBT representation should limit itself to either supporting characters or artsy films.

I agree. It's just that it, by its nature, fell outside of my summation of LGBTQ+ 2018.

Obviously, if one was to make a thread that represented the total, successful products of any given genre, you'd have consider products that fall outside of your own tastes.

And if you also are trying to say something about "where we are at", in terms of film, it really behoves you to actually sample - and honestly evaluate - data from a wide spectrum.

I think these talks are good, and welcome. I'm not necessarily a good advocate for what LGBTQ+ cinema is in 2018. I'm perfectly fine with someone else taking the initiative if they feel more "plugged in".

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Hello everyone. I hope you are all doing well this weekend. If it is possible, I would love an invite to the Discord, if I'm eligible and pleasant enough. :)

• Your gender? Your sexual identity? (Preferred pronouns?) Male
  • Your sexual orientation? Bisexual
  • Where Are You From? St, Louis, Missouri
  • Where Do You Live? St. Louis, Missouri
  • How Old Are you? 32
  • Favorite Type of Music? Rock and Roll; Jazz; VGM
  • Profession or Career interest? Freelance Writer
  • Favorite video game(s)? The Legend of Zelda; Ocarina of Time 3D, Resident Evil 4, Mega Man X, Super Mario World, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Perfect Dark
  • What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Writing, blogging, music composition, comic books, fitness, drawing

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
2018 has been pretty good in terms of LGBTQ films, unfortunately I'm away from home for a while so I can't share the list I have. Orin_linwe

We're even getting dueling gay conversion therapy dramas later this year with The Miseducation of Cameron Post, and Boy Erased.

Also GLAAD puts together "where we are" lists that summarise the year in terms of representation in films and TV

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
"It's 5 in the mornin', I'm busy ballin' "

In other news its gonna be 1 month living in Georgia on the 15th. Job is pretty easy to do but super exhausting. I miss procrastinating a bit.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
That's good advice, but i was rather thinking switching from condomes to PreP, cause i have condomes xD

You're not going to switch. PrEP would be an additional preventative. With PrEP, you're only protected against HIV. You'll still need the condom to avoid chlamydia, gonorrhea, herpes, HPV (if you aren't vaccinated), etc.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You're not going to switch. PrEP would be an additional preventative. With PrEP, you're only protected against HIV. You'll still need the condom to avoid chlamydia, gonorrhea, herpes, HPV (if you aren't vaccinated), etc.

What's the point in taking it with condoms?

I know the risks, but i personally don't enjoy sex with condoms at all, and it happened to me, that when i was drunk, i didn't care at all and had sex bare. I don't want to go through weeks of questioning i have it or not ever again, that's why i'm considering switching.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
What's the point in taking it with condoms?

I know the risks, but i personally don't enjoy sex with condoms at all, and it happened to me, that when i was drunk, i didn't care at all and had sex bare. I don't want to go through weeks of questioning i have it or not ever again, that's why i'm considering switching.
Prep only protects against HIV, and even then it's not 100% effective. If you want to have sex without condoms, it's never going to protect you against everything.

If you're adamant about it, it's better to be protected by PrEP than nothing but it's not designed to be an alternative to condoms.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Prep only protects against HIV, and even then it's not 100% effective. If you want to have sex without condoms, it's never going to protect you against everything.

If you're adamant about it, it's better to be protected by PrEP than nothing but it's not designed to be an alternative to condoms.

Yeah i know, but nothing is 100% effective. I just want to have protection when i do some stupid things.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i know, but nothing is 100% effective. I just want to have protection when i do some stupid things.

This is fine. You're being honest to yourself and covering for those moments when you know you might screw up.

However, be careful not starting engaging in risky activities more often because you are taking more precautions i.e. don't starting barebacking all the time just cause you're taking PreP, that would have the opposite effect of protection.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Should I get vaccinated for HPV? The STD centres in the Netherlands only give it for free to woman/girls, they don't really consider it a danger for men.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
According to the cdc website, 79 million people in the US have HPV and most don't know it because there's no test to detect it prior to getting symptoms. The big danger is cervical cancer for women, but men can still get plenty of unpleasant effects like genital warts.

I'd say it's probably worthwhile talking to a doctor about the vaccine at the very least.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i know, but nothing is 100% effective.

True, but your protection level increases exponentially if you're also using a condom. If you go around barebacking whoever you're 100% going to catch something. In the future, I hope you only bareback with people you know and trust very very well.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is fine. You're being honest to yourself and covering for those moments when you know you might screw up.

However, be careful not starting engaging in risky activities more often because you are taking more precautions i.e. don't starting barebacking all the time just cause you're taking PreP, that would have the opposite effect of protection.

Nah, not that kind of person, i just want to have a backup plan if something happens, like it did for me few months ago.

Should I get vaccinated for HPV? The STD centres in the Netherlands only give it for free to woman/girls, they don't really consider it a danger for men.

If you can get it, also you can get vaccinated against Hepatitis. Here in Germany it's even free for gays, cause we are
endangered group or something, you have to say it to you doc, and you can save like 150 Euros. As far as i remember correctly, the vaccine is good for almost 10 years.

True, but your protection level increases exponentially if you're also using a condom. If you go around barebacking whoever you're 100% going to catch something. In the future, I hope you only bareback with people you know and trust very very well.

Well, first of all, i'm not going barebacking like crazy, i couldn't, would be to scared of catching anything. But what you are saying it's also not really true. Exponentially against what? HIV? Nope, against other STI's, kinda, yes. But you can also get many of them through oral sex, like Gonorrhea, Syphilis, HPV, Hepatits etc.. Learned that lesson 10 years ago, when i catched Gonorrhea >.>.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was a joke, but it was actually accurate lol

I've been discussing having a threesome with my boyfriend for a while now. We're at a good place about it, it's gonna happen eventually.

The only problem is that I don't think I would be confortable seeing him bottoming, and I wouldn't be comfortable topping someone else. I'm mostly a bottom, so being a top requires a lot of intimacy for me. I told him that and he doesn't seem to understand where I'm coming from, so we're gonna have to work this out.

OP
OP
Sai

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Well, first of all, i'm not going barebacking like crazy, i couldn't, would be to scared of catching anything. But what you are saying it's also not really true. Exponentially against what? HIV? Nope, against other STI's, kinda, yes. But you can also get many of them through oral sex, like Gonorrhea, Syphilis, HPV, Hepatits etc.. Learned that lesson 10 years ago, when i catched Gonorrhea >.>.

uhhhh i would definitely say that using a condom and being on prep would exponentially increase your level of protection during anal sex versus not using any condoms and not being on prep. that's just..math.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Happy birthday, Madonna! Still the undisputed Queen over thirty years later. :)

giphy.gif

giphy.webp

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
Ray of Light is still the greatest pop album ever recorded as far as I'm concerned. Kinda sad she let the opportunity to put out some kind of 20th anniversary package this year fly right by. I would have loved an acoustic recording similar to what Alanis did with Jagged Little Pill, or even just let Orbit remix the album which I'm sure he would have been happy to do.

Manipular

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I've been a casual Madonna fan for several years now, but I've only recently started appreciating Erotica (both the song and the album, but especially the song) and Bedtime Stories. I had kind of ignored them since they were sandwiched between Like a Prayer and Ray of Light, which were my most listened-to albums from that era.

Alsoooo, I I think Hard Candy is a pretty underrated album. I don't think it's one of her best, but I like it more than MDNA (but not as much as Confessions or Rebel Heart). Okay, I'm done.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
uhhhh i would definitely say that using a condom and being on prep would exponentially increase your level of protection during anal sex versus not using any condoms and not being on prep. that's just..math.

Math? What math are you guys using? And what kind of exponent? n²? Condoms and PreP have about the same protection rate against HIV, i think it's over 90% or something like that, if you use both, you protection would still be about 90% and not 180%, that's not how that works. Or do you guys have some sources that say different?

PreP ist not useful although against other STI's, condom is necessary for protection, but you still have to be careful by oral sex, cause you can get many STI's also through this.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
The stats are a bit more complicated than that because you only need one success for protection. So you'd look at the failure rate instead and subtract that from 100%.

The chance of two failures happening is 1/10 x 1/10 = 1/100

So using two methods of protection rated at 90% would get you 99% protection.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
The stats are a bit more complicated than that because you only need one success for protection. So you'd look at the failure rate instead and subtract that from 100%.

The chance of two failures happening is 1/10 x 1/10 = 1/100

So using two methods of protection rated at 90% would get you 99% protection.
Mathematics finally has a practical application! :)

Jan 11, 2018
Condoms and PreP have about the same protection rate against HIV, i think it's over 90% or something like that, if you use both, you protection would still be about 90% and not 180%, that's not how that works.

I hate to burst your bubble, but "that's not how that works".

They don't work in tandem. If one gives in, the other will not automatically follow (which is what you're suggesting with the claim that one makes the other redundant). It's an extra layer of protection. If you buy two lottery tickets you clearly stand a higher chance of winning something than if you buy only one even if there's never any guarantee you will win anything.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I hate to burst your bubble, but "that's not how that works".

They don't work in tandem. If one gives in, the other will not automatically follow (which is what you're suggesting with the claim that one makes the other redundant). It's an extra layer of protection. If you buy two lottery tickets you clearly stand a higher chance of winning something than if you buy only one even if there's never any guarantee you will win anything.

You are not bursting any bubbles, but it's just doesn't make sense that it would rise exponentially, and i would like to know how exactly it protects more, are there any medical research? But it doesn't matter anymore, cause i wanted to hear from some PreP Users, which didn't really happen ^^. But thx for answers guys. (especially Leo)

okay dude just go bareback whoever the fuck and be on your way lol
So you really think this is an appropriate answer by talking about something like this?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
But it does make sense. I think Alcoremortis put it even better than I did - the likelihood that both methods would fail is definitely smaller than 10%.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Ray of Light is still the greatest pop album ever recorded as far as I'm concerned. Kinda sad she let the opportunity to put out some kind of 20th anniversary package this year fly right by. I would have loved an acoustic recording similar to what Alanis did with Jagged Little Pill, or even just let Orbit remix the album which I'm sure he would have been happy to do.

If she had to spend time doing anniversaries of all her hit albums she wouldn't have much time for anything else ha ha.

I've been a casual Madonna fan for several years now, but I've only recently started appreciating Erotica (both the song and the album, but especially the song) and Bedtime Stories. I had kind of ignored them since they were sandwiched between Like a Prayer and Ray of Light, which were my most listened-to albums from that era.

Alsoooo, I I think Hard Candy is a pretty underrated album. I don't think it's one of her best, but I like it more than MDNA (but not as much as Confessions or Rebel Heart). Okay, I'm done.

Erotica and Bedtime Stories are amazing. Love the video for Erotica... spoilered 'cause it's gloriously NSW. :)

Kevyt

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
Are some of you guys using PreP? I'm thinking about taking it, and would love to hear some feedback.

I missed this question but I'm on PrEP, it's been two months now and so far so good. Though I haven't been sexually active at all... lol. Hoping to change that soon but things just keep happening and mental health and self esteem, etc.

I think being on PrEP when you're sexually active is for the better, but it doesn't protect you against other STI's. Additionally there are antibiotic resistant strains of gonorrhea and chlamydia iirc, so it's best to use condoms especially with strangers.

Or just take prep like me and don't do anything... Join the Gincel movement :p

NNN

Nov 1, 2017
How do you deal with body image issues guys? I think it's the only issue stopping me from actually going out (dating or even hooking up). Even though many say I have a great/desirable body I am still not comfortable in it. It's strange because every time I look at the mirror I always try to find something I dislike. I thought about going to therapy since I do suffer from other mental problems (depression/and sometimes anxiety) but I can't afford it at this time. No matter how hard I forced myself to "own" it I still fail, it's frustrating :\

wondering if anybody else feels the same

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I thought this was a joke, but it was actually accurate lol

I've been discussing having a threesome with my boyfriend for a while now. We're at a good place about it, it's gonna happen eventually.

The only problem is that I don't think I would be confortable seeing him bottoming, and I wouldn't be comfortable topping someone else. I'm mostly a bottom, so being a top requires a lot of intimacy for me. I told him that and he doesn't seem to understand where I'm coming from, so we're gonna have to work this out.
Penetration is not necessary for a good threesome. I haven't yet and still had a great time recently.
How do you deal with body image issues guys? I think it's the only issue stopping me from actually going out (dating or even hooking up). Even though many say I have a great/desirable body I am still not comfortable in it. It's strange because every time I look at the mirror I always try to find something I dislike. I thought about going to therapy since I do suffer from other mental problems (depression/and sometimes anxiety) but I can't afford it at this time. No matter how hard I forced myself to "own" it I still fail, it's frustrating :\

wondering if anybody else feels the same
I have dealt with this, specially regarding my genitals. It was all in my head, and to help be more open I've been to a nude beach, a nude sex club, and rode in the Toronto naked bike ride 2018. It's helped a lot.