• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I just wash and moisturize my face. I'm quite happy with my skin.

I cut most dairy products from my diet and saw huge reduction of deep pimples on my face. Usually I had one or two huge deep pimples on my face at all times but since I cut dairy I have had only one and it wasn't even that bad. Only took till I was 32 to realize that...

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just wash and moisturize my face. I'm quite happy with my skin.

I cut most dairy products from my diet and saw huge reduction of deep pimples on my face. Usually I had one or two huge deep pimples on my face at all times but since I cut dairy I have had only one and it wasn't even that bad. Only took till I was 32 to realize that...
I had a similar experience when I started eating keto. Best skin I've ever had, but ultimately not the lifestyle I want so back to square 1.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
gee i'm a big idiot
i've been using micellar water as a cleanser prior to application of benzoyl peroxide and i was wondering why my skin was getting progressively worse

looks like my face does not like micellar water

i could have figured this out with google, but nope, big idiot

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Any men here use/try the creams and process described in the OP? I'm tempted to try out the same set of creams and stuff just as a starting point. I don't know anything about this so I'm looking for pointers.

I'm very prone to acne with any cream/lotion!

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love it tabris ! How do you find the Cosrx blackhead liquid? I found it not that good, nowhere as effective as Paulas Choice, I suspect because they don't use salycilic acid but another BHA (name forgets me now). For my face it was super gentle, could use twice a day no issues. Is Missha stuff worth the price?

So where my skincare addicts at? Really got into this on October last year. Current favs:
Oil Cleanser: DHC Deep cleansing Oil
Cleanser: Cerave Moisturinging cleanser
Vit C: The ordinarys 100% l ascorbic acid - I Mix this with their reseveratol a few mornings every week,
Exfoliants: Paulas Choice 2% BHA most mornings (30 mins after vit C so pH of face is back to normal), Inkey list Lactic acid x1 week, The Orindary AHA/BHA red peel 1x a week, adapalene most nights (want to start tretinoin soon though)
Serums: the ordinary 10 % niacinamide,
Pigmentation: 4% hydroquinone , Inkey List tranexamic night treatment,
Hydrators: I'm from Rice toner, Cosrx snail mucin (looove it), Hado Labo Premium Hylauronic acid toner, The Ordinary's Rosehip Oil mix it with my Cerave cream in tub for night, Cerave lotion for day, and La Roche Posay cicaplast baume for nights my face needs extra healing (like after the AHA/BHA peel).
-Innisfree clay mask 2x a week
I've also just started weekly 20% salicilic acid peels. (then want to move on jessner peels then TCA)

My SPFs in use: Purito unscended green SPF50, La roche posay matte SPF50, hado labo UV gel (love this), Riemann P20 Sun Cream For Kids SPF50+. Previous favourite was also Biore Aqua Watery Essence SPF.

In my draw to try: Klairs Unscented supple prep toner, Pyung Kang Yul toner, Purito unscented serum, Innisfree green tea serum, Iunik black snail restore serum, Bioderma aquafluid SPF 50+.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020
Sweden
First of, wanted to thank Leona for the OP!

I started taking more care of my face a few weeks ago and starting to see some improvement (I think?) But I'm a bit unsure what I should be doing after working out? Usually do my routine in the morning and evening before bed. A few times a week I exercise, mostly late afternoon. Should I be doing the entire routine after working out? Or just washing my face with water and reapplying moisturizer/SPF?

Oct 27, 2017
What does skincare Era think about the peel off facemasks? I bought a tube of the stuff because that's what the ladies on the TV use. Maybe I'll open up some wine and throw on a movie.

Sep 14, 2019
Hey everyone!

Can anyone recommend a good face scrub or microdermabrasion cream?

I used to go to an esthetician's for microdermabrasion but she planned on retiring and with the pandemic, well, her business will be closed by the time we're back to normal. All other estheticians do their microdermabrasion like some spa treatment instead of the way my esthetician would do it.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I did a quick search and am I the only one dedicated to Biologique Recherche? Holy grail products. I have a lot of redness and this is the only stuff that seems to make a real impact.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
After a year of not really taking care of my face/skin, I just purchased some skin products:
  1. Mend Vitamin C Serum
  2. Mend Hyaluronic Acid Serum
  3. Mend Retinol Face Cream
I had just gotten back from vacation and spent a lot of time in the sun, so my face was feeling quite leathery, dry, and inelastic. Literally after just one application of these 3 in the order above, my skin looked so much better and also felt 100% rejuvenated. And just a few days later saw even more change with fine lines and general look. Mend's products are also 100% vegan which is a requirement for me going forward. Highly, highly recommended.

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently I watched this thread ages ago but never posted...?

Searched 'scalp' in this thread so I'm not being repetitive...

This thread is gold. I'm posting here to see if anyone has similar experience to mine and any possible tips.

1. I have scalp acne. Sometimes it's acne, sometimes it's more of an issue with scabbing/itchyness. I've tried multiple shampoos, conditioners, not using product in my hair, etc. Has anyone had any really good experience with fighting this successfully over a period of time? For reference, I have relatively thick-growing fine hair, and I do use product in my hair regularly.

2. I have very light (but still embarrassing) acne that seems to come on after shaving most commonly. I always make sure to cleanse before I shave, and it happens regardless of shaving with a razor or an electric shaver. Any tips here?

3. I'm starting to follow some of the tips outlined earlier in the thread. For years, I used the St. Ives scrubs with microbeads and crap in them. Switched over to the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. Still using the non-oil Neutrogena lotion as my main lotion in the morning/evening. My skin is generally oily as the day goes on to the point of feeling that I need to wipe down (but not super shiny). Can anyone recommend moisturizer/exfoliant combos that might pair well with the described skin and routine? If this info helps, I almost always have some kind of acne on my face, though it's almost always white heads/red bumps and not the more cystic type.

Thank you in advance to anyone with insight!
Any luck? I have the same problem, I think. I clean the razor before shaving but it never seems to make a difference. In fact, the only consistent difference maker has been antibiotics! Have taken them for other reasons and every time my scalp clears right up. So, it's clearly bacterial, but I'm not sure how to prevent it. Antibiotics are not a sustainable solution.

Time for an appointment with a dermatologist maybe. Had one years ago and they simply recommended baby shampoo since it doesn't irritate the skin.

Pollen

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Any luck? I have the same problem, I think. I clean the razor before shaving but it never seems to make a difference. In fact, the only consistent difference maker has been antibiotics! Have taken them for other reasons and every time my scalp clears right up. So, it's clearly bacterial, but I'm not sure how to prevent it. Antibiotics are not a sustainable solution.

Time for an appointment with a dermatologist maybe. Had one years ago and they simply recommended baby shampoo since it doesn't irritate the skin.
The scalp is a whole different beast compared to traditional facial skincare. It really is best if you go to a dermatologist for this, they'll give you a treatment depending on the severity.
I have very dry skin....any recommendations for a hydrating soap gel thing during showers?
I use Vanicream for my PM shower cleansers. Then after I dry myself off I apply The Ordinary's Hyaluronic Acid and Niacinamide serums. I then layer my Cerave PM moisturizer on top of that.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot get rid of closed comedomes. Tried multiple brands like cerave, cetaphil, clean and clear, etc. Added more stuff like toner and serum and exfoliate to my routine. Even took some out to see what was causing it. And switched more brands.

Era save me from the closed comedome apocalypse. It's m my only acne and it's always in one area.

Nov 26, 2018
This is probably a weird question but....how can someone learn about their skin profile? I try to find products I think my face are, and it ends up being worse :/ sometimes I'm just better off with hot water. It's been worse with all the mask acne I've dealt with.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot get rid of closed comedomes. Tried multiple brands like cerave, cetaphil, clean and clear, etc. Added more stuff like toner and serum and exfoliate to my routine. Even took some out to see what was causing it. And switched more brands.

Era save me from the closed comedome apocalypse. It's m my only acne and it's always in one area.
What are you using to exfoliate?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What are you using to exfoliate?

I WAS using Cerave's salicylic acid exfoliant. At this point I'm tired of spending money on products that haven't worked and might just put that towards a dermatologist. Unless people have experience with flesh colored comedomes, it's constantly on my nose. And can sometimes last for weeks. All the products I've used worked everywhere else on my face but my nose has remained my only problem area.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017

BHA/Salicylic acid pretty much cleared almost all of mine
Also had monthly facial (before covid) that extracted the really deep ones
But it was the BHA that did the trick for me

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I WAS using Cerave's salicylic acid exfoliant. At this point I'm tired of spending money on products that haven't worked and might just put that towards a dermatologist. Unless people have experience with flesh colored comedomes, it's constantly on my nose. And can sometimes last for weeks. All the products I've used worked everywhere else on my face but my nose has remained my only problem area.
Wait which cerave product is that? The facial wash?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait which cerave product is that? The facial wash?

Renewing SA (Salicylic Acid) Cleanser | Face Wash | CeraVe

Renewing SA Cleanser removes dirt, oil and makeup while exfoliating salicylic acid softens and smoothes the skin. Non-comedogenic and fragrance-free.

This one that says gentle exfoliation.

I also had a separate Cerave cleanser but it's not the same as the one I linked. Which I no longer use cause I wanna figure out which product is causing only my nose to break out.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a dermatologist or medical esthetician so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Anyway I feel like your solution could be BHA exfoliators but the cerave salicylic acid face wash you're using isn't gonna cut it because the salicylic acid or BHA is at its most effective when it gets to sit on the face for long periods of time versus washing it off after rubbing it into your skin for less than a minute.

If you want to give some more products a chance I recommend the Paula's Choice 2% BHA Exfoliant.

The way you would use it in your routine is after you wash your face at nights you dry your face by patting it and then you use the exfoliant. You then follow that up with a moisturizer.

Another product that can help is any benzoyl peroxide cream you can find at any drug store. Start with lower concentrations.

Nothing beats talking to a medical professional about this stuff tho

Renewing SA Cleanser removes dirt, oil and makeup while exfoliating salicylic acid softens and smoothes the skin. Non-comedogenic and fragrance-free.

I also had a separate Cerave cleanser but it's not the same as the one I linked. Which I no longer use cause I wanna figure out which product is causing only my nose to break out.

Oct 31, 2017
I just wanna say

I love EltaMD

but lol @ its "moisturizer" and I can't believe people recommended it??

It's basically Vaseline which isn't a moisturizer

No wonder my skin has looked like shit lately

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I need to read through this thread.

I had horrible cystic acne, luckily I qualified for accutane and that literally changed my life. Now I'll occasionally get a regular pimple every couple of months and nowhere near as bad. More than likely just due to shaving.

I really need to find something to take care of my skin though. Especially here in Colorado.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017

Agreeing with Infinite
Face wash not enough
Serum better

Any specific brand you prefer?

I started with the one from the Ordinary
Now using Stridex pads(red box)

Oct 31, 2017
This is a mineral oil/petroleum based product?

yep, only ingredients are petroleum and paraffin aka Vaseline

for the past month I've been so frustrated because no matter how careful I'd be with my skin, my eyebrows and eyelids and etc. would still be itchy and my forehead in particular would still be insanely dry and my complexion would be dull

and it definitely is because I was using this "moisturizer"

I used Cerave's moisturizer today and my face feels hydrated af and I'm not itchy at all

It's my fault though; I just blindly trusted the product because it's EltaMD

I don't know what the users who gave it a positive review are smoking

Vaseline locks in moisture it doesn't provide you with it

ESPECIALLY bad for someone like me with hyperhidrosis who has to be careful as fuck!!

jman912

Dec 31, 2018
I use Vaseline in conjunction with Cerave's moisturizer, as I have eczema and my skin dries out faster otherwise. For me also, Vaseline alone does not work as well.

turbocats

Oct 26, 2017

I'll link what I'm using below. I can say that TYPICALLY, my skin is clearer with the following routine:
-shower in the morning using face wash
-get out of the shower, put on AHA stuff
-put on face lotion
-go about my day
-when shaving, shave with Mach 3 razor or electric razor
-Use shave lotion afterward

I still get periodic breakouts, and I can often link those (at least in my head) to stress or really bad dietary habits. As far as the scalp stuff, that just seems to come and go in waves. I just try to make sure to condition and that seems to help more.

Products I'm using (I'm no expert, FYI):
-AHA liquid
-Electric razor
-Facial cleanser
-Lotion
-I think the shave lotion is just Nivea after shave balm or lotion or something like that

I hope this helps. I don't have perfect skin still to this day, but between doing these things, eating a bit better, and drinking more water, my skin is TYPICALLY healthier.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here familiar with using Retinols? Recently started using the cerave retinol serum but I'm just a once a week basis. Any tips of the trade?

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Anyone here familiar with using Retinols? Recently started using the cerave retinol serum but I'm just a once a week basis. Any tips of the trade?
I don't know how much retinol is in the cerave product, but generally for retinoids (and you probably already do most of this): apply at night, build up the frequency of use, wear sunscreen, dont use other harsh treatments at the same time (like I wouldn't do an acid peel or physically exfoliate too hard on the same night) and take care of your moisture barrier. I use prescription tretinoin and I'm a huge fan of ceramides (should be formulated with cholesterol and fatty acids) and urea cream (I only do 5%) to keep my skin in good shape.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much retinol is in the cerave product, but generally for retinoids (and you probably already do most of this): apply at night, build up the frequency of use, wear sunscreen, dont use other harsh treatments at the same time (like I wouldn't do an acid peel or physically exfoliate too hard on the same night) and take care of your moisture barrier. I use prescription tretinoin and I'm a huge fan of ceramides (should be formulated with cholesterol and fatty acids) and urea cream (I only do 5%) to keep my skin in good shape.
I think the concentration of retinol in the cerave serum is .01% but I'm not sure.

What's a good routine for days where I use retinol? So far I been doing Wash ->Tone ->Hydrating serum -> Niacinamide Treatment -> Retinol serum -> moisturizer -> petroleum

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I think the concentration of retinol in the cerave serum is .01% but I'm not sure.

What's a good routine for days where I use retinol? So far I been doing Wash ->Tone ->Hydrating serum -> Niacinamide Treatment -> Retinol serum -> moisturizer -> petroleum
That routine looks fine, I think. You might find you need a different moisturizer but the percentage of retinol is pretty low. I don't have a separate routine for the days I use tret, other than avoiding exfoliation or other strong actives (niacinamide is apparently fine).

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Hey all, I've been struggling with oily skin lately. My skin hasn't been great during lockdown.

Just ordered Cerave hydrating cleanser, the ordinary natural moisturiser, inkey hyaluronic acid serum and the ordinary mandelic acid.

Was suggested the above by a friend who takes good care of her own skin.

Any other recommendations for guys skin care?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
The scalp is a whole different beast compared to traditional facial skincare. It really is best if you go to a dermatologist for this, they'll give you a treatment depending on the severity.

I use Vanicream for my PM shower cleansers. Then after I dry myself off I apply The Ordinary's Hyaluronic Acid and Niacinamide serums. I then layer my Cerave PM moisturizer on top of that.
Thanks, getting amoisturizes that uses hyaluronic acid as a component.
I use this. It really helps when m eczema starts kicking my ass. I like it because most shower gels formulated for eczema and dry skin don't sud up but this one does. If you don't already use lotion you should consider using it and apply everytime you take a shower

thanks, I ordered the regular version before based on recommendations, but getting this as well.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So...you just follow those general guidlines if you have nothing going on or specific with your face?