• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are the average games' loading times as fast as you once thought they'd be?

• Yes. They meet the expectations I had for next-gen loading.

Votes: 675 62.7%
  • No. They may be quick, but not as fast as I thought they would be.

Votes: 218 20.3%
  • Some do, but most don't.

Votes: 105 9.8%
  • Most do, but some don't.

Votes: 78 7.2%

• Total voters

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It can still commonly take 30+ seconds to go from the OS to gameplay.
This is why Quick Resume blew me away. You can jump right back to where you left off within seconds, and without going through all the splash screens and menus and further loading, however minimal. Forget going back to the last checkpoint, you're back EXACTLY where you dropped out. And it works with multiple games, not just one. And it works even if you shut down fully.
Quick Resume was the first feature across a PS5, RTX 3080, and Xbox Series that gave me that true next gen feeling in such splashy manner.

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played a few current Gen games but the load times have been great. Miles Morales was a good example, just super fast to load.

For last gen, I've mostly been playing on the Series X and quick resume is amazing for that. I hop between a few game pass games and never have to restart from the title screen, even if I restart the console. I will probably play most 3rd party games on Series X because of this feature.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Quick resume is the best thing to come out of the gen so far, activities is pretty awesome but quick resume covers legacy content too

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, I'm surprised that, so far, most people in the poll expected the average game to take 30+ seconds to go from OS to gameplay. Although maybe that's on me for having too high of expectations.

The younger naive me from last year thought we'd be pressing an icon and being in gameplay in like 10 seconds.
Some PS5 games you can do exactly that Nioh 2 remastered if you use the activity cards to resume takes like 3 seconds from dashboard to controlling in game

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick resume is the best thing to come out of the gen so far, activities is pretty awesome but quick resume covers legacy content too
It absolutely solves the issue for gamers that want to game in short bursts before they have to drop off. I'm now encouraged to spend brief moments where before I'd have not turned on my console at all. I simply don't have time for long stretches of gaming often.

I have no clue how MS knew that this would be such a game changer, on paper it doesn't sound fancy at all. Last time I felt this amazed was when I was able to party chat without being in a game, back during 360 launch.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say, I'm surprised that, so far, most people in the poll expected the average game to take 30+ seconds to go from OS to gameplay. Although maybe that's on me for having too high of expectations.

The younger naive me from last year thought we'd be pressing an icon and being in gameplay in like 10 seconds.

Is the "average PS5 game" taking 30+ seconds? You only mention games by name for PS5 that load quick, which ones are slow?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The PS5 SSD speed is for changing how games are designed in the future, it's not really for reducing last-gen load times.
Replace "PS5 SSD" with "next gen consoles SSD" and then you are correct. Sure, PS5 SSD is faster, but the change in gameplay is possible on more than the PS5. We are going from HDD to NVME SSD and that drives the change.
I like both actually and want activities on Xbox and Quick resume for PS. Someone in this forum said there were something like activities previewed on Xbox One back in the day, but the feature isn't available anymore.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017

The bolded is pretty much literally my everyday experience on Series X. Cold boot takes maybe 10 seconds, quick resume maybe 5, and I'm back in the middle of where I left. And switching to most other games I play at a given time is just as fast (I usually cycle between one or two story driven games and two to three casual and/or MP games and Series X can keep quite a decent number of games suspended at the same time).

It's so insanely fast and really conducive to quick game sessions, and generally makes gaming so much more pleasant, no matter if BC or current gen.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Playing Demon's Souls over the holidays was fantastic. The short loads makes a huge difference to this kind of game!

I just finished RE6 with my brother on Series Xs using online coop, and the loading screens didn't even have time to fade in.

Dead Rising is another great example. Tons of loading screens between zones, and the game even split up cutscenes with multiple load screens.
On the Series X, they're pretty much instantaneous, making the game much more enjoyable.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Switching from another game to a Nioh 2 mission via an activity card is fucking insane. It completely killed my desire to use my Switch, as the load times on it are atrocious.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
After deciding to do some swinging and collecting backpacks in Spiderman remastered, having the game fire up from cold and into the game as quickly as Super Mario 64 is still sort of mind-blowing.

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
The bolded is pretty much literally my everyday experience on Series X. Cold boot takes maybe 10 seconds, quick resume maybe 5, and I'm back in the middle of where I left. And switching to most other games I play at a given time is just as fast (I usually cycle between one or two story driven games and two to three casual and/or MP games and Series X can keep quite a decent number of games suspended at the same time).

It's so insanely fast and really conducive to quick game sessions, and generally makes gaming so much more pleasant, no matter if BC or current gen.
Yeah, I really want Quick Resume on PS5. But isn't the problem that it's super inconsistent with when and what it works with?

Switching from another game to a Nioh 2 mission via an activity card is fucking insane. It completely killed my desire to use my Switch, as the load times on it are atrocious.
Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised by how fast Nioh 2 loads, especially for a "remaster."

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
They're good. When Quick Resume works as intended, it's the most next gen thing so far.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I got spoiled by the PS5. Astro Bot and Miles loaded super quickly. Even the Series X feels slow to me now (except for quick resume).

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I really want Quick Resume on PS5. But isn't the problem that it's super inconsistent with when and what it works with?

Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised by how fast Nioh 2 loads, especially for a "remaster."
"Super inconsistent" is nothing but hyperbole. Yes, they should improve visibility (e.g. being able to open a list of games that are currently in QR or flagging games to remain in QR or warning you when a game leaves QR; they are planning some updates though) but in reality it's a super convenient feature, and I'm sure the vast majority of Xbox gamers agree with me.
Sometimes they remove QR support for a bit to fix things in the background (e.g. AC Valhalla) but that's pretty much it.

I've been playing Jedi Fallen Order for weeks now, played some Nier Automata on the side, also a little Ori, a bit of Moving Out, and NONE of these games had to load up again since I had first booted them. I'm back in any of these games in single digit seconds, every time.

It's glorious.

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
"Super inconsistent" is nothing but hyperbole. Yes, they should improve visibility (e.g. being able to open a list of games that are currently in QR or flagging games to remain in QR or warning you when a game leaves QR) but in reality it's a super convenient feature, and I'm sure the vast majority of Xbox gamers agree with me.
Sometimes they remove QR support for a bit to fix things in the background (e.g. AC Valhalla) but that's pretty much it.

I've been playing Jedi Fallen Order for weeks now, played some Nier Automata on the side, also a little Ori, a bit of Moving Out, and NONE of these games had to load up again since I had first booted them. I'm back in any of these games in single digit seconds, every time.

It's glorious.
Good to hear!

Oct 28, 2017
Love them. I got back into Skyrim on XSX (after playing it on 360 back when it was released) and the immediate load times make the experience so much better.

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Is the "average PS5 game" taking 30+ seconds? You only mention games by name for PS5 that load quick, which ones are slow?
Sorry, completely forgot to respond to this until just now. Of the games I have or have seen, AC Valhalla, WD Legion, Godfall, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Borderlands 3, Maneater, DMC5 SE, Dirt 5, WRC 9, Destiny 2, Warframe, and probably any other multiplayer only game (though obviously some of that is on account of network stuff). That's not to say this is all of them. I haven't seen the OS-to-gameplay times of every game.

And I'm not saying they're slow. I'm just saying they're slower than I thought they'd be a year ago.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
1st party games yep exactly how I expected it, 3rd party and cross gen nothing special.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
I have both consoles and they're both fantastic.

XSX with Quick resume is especially impressive. Sometimes I just forget about it and go to start an older and and BAM.. literally right where I fucking left off in 6 seconds. Fantastic.

This...I booted up the Medium earlier today after playing Control and Madden and TWD Michionne and was pleasantly surprised when the quick resume logo popped up and started me where I left off from 3 days ago when I was playing the game on remote play on my iPad Air. Some games load times are unbelievable. I wish there was a quick resume list so you knew which games are in the quick resume queue...

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Actual next-gen games have been exactly what I expected, multiplatform cross-gen games roughly where I expected, but BC titles on PS5 are quite a bit slower than I expected. Still a nice improvement over original hardware and I understand that BC compatibility is tough but that's the one loading aspect that's disappointed me a bit. Really excited to see the future of load times (or lack thereof)

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Honestly, without me having the prior consoles side by side at the time, I don't think that I could tell you. Things seem faster.

Quick Resume is pretty neat. I wish there was more control over it though

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Better than I expected. I wasn't expecting instant and nore like <10s at most which was accurate. What I didn't expect was the improvements to BC games.

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
All I wil say is... Sony and MS interpretation of the word "instantly" is very different from mine.
Lol that's pretty much my thoughts. Some games get about as close to instant as I thought, though, like NBA 2K21, Miles Morales, and Nioh 2, aka 2 seconds or less from game menu to gameplay. But I, perhaps naively, thought that every game would be like that.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Lol that's pretty much my thoughts. Some games get about as close to instant as I thought, though, like NBA 2K21, Miles Morales, and Nioh 2, aka 2 seconds or less from game menu to gameplay.
No doubt. There are games that I have found loads as fast as I would have thought they would.

Just so happens though that a majority of others don't.

With all that talk about 40x and 100x faster. I honestly would have expected everything to load in under 5 seconds at most.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, completely forgot to respond to this until just now. Of the games I have or have seen, AC Valhalla, WD Legion, Godfall, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Borderlands 3, Maneater, DMC5 SE, Dirt 5, WRC 9, Destiny 2, Warframe, and probably any other multiplayer only game (though obviously some of that is on account of network stuff). That's not to say this is all of them. I haven't seen the OS-to-gameplay times of every game.

And I'm not saying they're slow. I'm just saying they're slower than I thought they'd be a year ago.

Woah, a bunch of third parties.

I'm not going to blame devs working at home during a pandemic, but there was a dev talking about bottlenecks you didn't realize were there because the HDD's slowness was hiding them.

I'm sure when times are "more normal" devs will be able to sort out load times.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm used to load times to the point where it was a refreshing surprise to see them so fast on consoles.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
No doubt. There are games that I have found loads as fast as I would have thought they would.

Just so happens though that a majority of others don't.

With all that talk about 40x and 100x faster. I honestly would have expected everything to load in under 5 seconds at most.
Well, developers will get used to it and rewrite code for that. But I think we need to lower our collective expectation, because the consoles can't fill RAM instantly and although the bandwidth numbers in theory are awesome, the reality is that not every data can be compress as good as the other. Furthermore there is more to loading than SSD bandwidth.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For games specifically made for the systems yes, other upgrades haven't been good enough. I consider Control: Ultimate edition to be too slow for my liking these days.

No need for loading bars anymore. Fade to black and out is where I want it. Or mask the short loads.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Super inconsistent" is nothing but hyperbole. Yes, they should improve visibility (e.g. being able to open a list of games that are currently in QR or flagging games to remain in QR or warning you when a game leaves QR; they are planning some updates though) but in reality it's a super convenient feature, and I'm sure the vast majority of Xbox gamers agree with me.

It's glorious.
I think MS are going to expand upon it and offer an option to see whats in QR and what can be pinned, I think Jason Ronald acknowledged a bunch of additions via a tweet .

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Well, developers will get used to it and rewrite code for that. But I think we need to lower our collective expectation, because the consoles can't fill RAM instantly and although the bandwidth numbers in theory are awesome, the reality is that not every data can be compress as good as the other. Furthermore there is more to loading than SSD bandwidth.
I know.

But that's why I was hoping for sub 5 second loading times on average.

And we have games that prove that it can be done.

Atlas... It's one of those things that as u said, developers would have to code for.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Around the same amount of inconsistent as how the cards work on PS5.
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't and sometimes they do a weird in between like showing you the dev logos again and then getting you into the game.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think that seeing games like Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 last year with genuinely fast fast travel loads on mechanical HDDs would get people to understand that there's more to this whole thing than pure numbers. Games won't just magically get faster. Some games are better suited to brute force methods and you'll see more immediate improvements there, sure, but even then game code has been set up coming off of literally decades of disc and HDD data management. We've now heard numerous devs talk about how in the early days of this generation we are going to see gradual progress overall as everyone plugs known holes and discovers new ones in their loading/streaming/caching code because for so long the industry wasn't working with SSD standards. That's on top of more advanced compression and custom I/O features in both boxes. We're already seeing titles with sub-5 second loads where those times used to be 45-60 seconds. Does that mean everything going forward will match or exceed that? No. But does that mean the current ratio of ultra fast loads to "okay" loads is how the entire generation will pan out? Absolutely not. We're barely 3 months since launch, in a pandemic, coming right off of the holidays, with a whole bunch of new tech and potential ahead. Give devs time.

Last edited: