Where Will The Next Bioshock Take Place?

• Underwater

Votes: 41 12.6%
  • In The Sky

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • In Space

Votes: 119 36.5%
  • On or Under Earth

Votes: 88 27.0%
  • In A Lighthouse

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • In Paris

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • Everywhere

Votes: 46 14.1%

• Total voters
Jan 4, 2018
Well the core tenant of Bioshock is that there's an independent city who's visionary has a deluded ideology that bleeds all the way down to the populace and you're an outsider brought in to complete a task that runs against their leader.

A modern day setting but with a city that lives according to "old fashioned" ways of life could be interesting. A cult of protestants might be too similar to Infinite, though. I'm thinking something like Wicker Man or Apostle.

Or maybe a virtual utopia where people choose to live a completely separate life digitally, which could be pretty meta and provide a lot of commentary on the future of technology and virtual reality.

Kyberpunk

Oct 28, 2017
City on the moon, discrete "open world" areas like Deus Ex or Dishonored, full retro-futuristic aesthetic (ray guns, bubble-head spacesuits, etc.). Basically:
FiwUrPF.jpg
josh-newton-vintage-sci-fi.jpg
1901729.jpg

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Without Ken Levine on the team, I think Bioshock is going to regress to its most basic touch stones:

- Underwater world
- FPS with RPG mechanics
- Philosophical themes

I think the next game will be most like Bioshock 2. 2K wants it to be a franchise, and a franchise is useless if it can superficially take place anywhere. They're going to want that water world and art deco aesthetics back imo.

Works for Far Cry. In fact, the cynic in me can totally see them trying to turn Bioshock into their own Far Cry. It's already and FPS with RPG mechanics, just shift to a slighty more open world design, pick a different exotic setting and an ideology some charismatic antagonist has built their city around and churn a new game out every other year.

Serviam

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I would be fine with whatever as long as we get another Bioshock.
OP: Read the book if you want a prequel, it's really good if you are into the whole bioshock lore.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I keep hearing "Rapture before the fall" but I don't know how that would really work out. Even Burial at Sea was pretty much just paying the concept lip service for 10 minutes before moving on to regular Bioshock at a remote location.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I keep hearing "Rapture before the fall" but I don't know how that would really work out. Even Burial at Sea was pretty much just paying the concept lip service for 10 minutes before moving on to regular Bioshock at a remote location.
Just telling the story through the eyes of some unknown character could work really well I think. Like, what happened during the fall of Rapture on a day to day basis for the everyday citizen who lived there? Could be really interesting. Maybe less action and more adventure/exploration but I would totally like that.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
My money's on either a space station (paying homage to the series' roots and coming full circle) or an underground civilisation.

I hope it's the former, honestly. I feel like an underground setting would be hard to make interesting.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Surprised to see so many votes for a Space Bioshock, since I've read that Prey is pretty much enough to get that fix. But this would probably be my no. 1 choice, too. So much potential.

At this point I hope with the next Bioshock 2K focuses mainly on next gen consoles. We're so close to PS5, I want them to make good use of the new hardware.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
On a different planet. But not on Mars. Venus would be good. One of the gas giants too.

Tho I also wouldn't mind some of the larger moons, like Titan, Io or Europa.

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised to see so many votes for a Space Bioshock, since I've read that Prey is pretty much enough to get that fix. But this would probably be my no. 1 choice, too. So much potential.

At this point I hope with the next Bioshock 2K focuses mainly on next gen consoles. We're so close to PS5, I want them to make good use of the new hardware.

Prey is a fascinating setting but I found the combat to be really poor and the enemies were not fun to fight (NB: I have only played a few hours). But as Rivian mentioned above, having Bioshock set on a moon space base could be really cool and they could make it feel really creepy and isolated.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
On a different planet. But not on Mars. Venus would be good. One of the gas giants too.

Tho I also wouldn't mind some of the larger moons, like Titan, Io or Europa.
Love the Venus idea. A failing cloud city on Venus itself, support stations on the moon. Steampunk spaceships and space suits.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)

Yeah, we're getting enough games set in space and we have Prey as an immersive sim in space. Give me an underground city please.

Oct 24, 2019
I've been advocating for an underground one since Infinite came out.

Put in the earth near some magma pools and some crystal caves, so visually it will be gorgeous. Then make the Big Daddy/Songbird of the game some molemen type creatures that you will hear burrowing around you but you'll never know when they'll pop out to attack. Code them so that encounters can happen anywhere at any time so that they're not just tied to scripted events or specific hub areas

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Space Station or Moon is my guess.

They already did underwater and the sky. Maybe underground or inside a mountain? Rich community doing their own thing would have to be something bold that's out of reach for the working class. Underwater was such a thing and in the sky too. Fallout covered underground, so my best bet would be in Space or on the Moon.

Unless they reboot the whole thing and go underwater again.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
A super rich man seeks refuge in the only place he truly belongs. His own body. Through cloning and miniaturization he builds THE UTOPIA inside his own body. Journey into the impossible as you shrink yourself down to see what happened to this once great civilization, now crumbling, inside an industrialist's stomach.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Underwater done.
Sky done.
Space station done via System Shock.

Maybe VR world ala' Matrix?
Rich escaped to virtual world where things went haywire. Could lead to some interesting scenarios.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I've been advocating for an underground one since Infinite came out.

Put in the earth near some magma pools and some crystal caves, so visually it will be gorgeous. Then make the Big Daddy/Songbird of the game some molemen type creatures that you will hear burrowing around you but you'll never know when they'll pop out to attack. Code them so that encounters can happen anywhere at any time so that they're not just tied to scripted events or specific hub areas
They already did underwater and the sky. Maybe underground or inside a mountain? Rich community doing their own thing would have to be something bold that's out of reach for the working class. Underwater was such a thing and in the sky too. Fallout covered underground, so my best bet would be in Space or on the Moon.
Yeah, underground cool be really interesting, too.

On a huge vehicle.

A train maybe? Or something like the moving cities of Infernal Machines?
Also a great idea.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Underground with an ending twist when you escape to the surface, you appear in a landscape with a lovely sky but it's not real, look behind the curtain, you're underwater....."look mr bubbles" screen fades to black.