• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the best Mass Effect game?

• Mass Effect 1

Votes: 511 35.7%
  • Mass Effect 2

Votes: 841 58.7%
  • Mass Effect 3

Votes: 80 5.6%

• Total voters

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Story - 1
Atmosphere - tie between 1/2
Combat - 2/3

3 has some pretty great moments.

Reapers in the vistas and probably my favourite moment in the entire trilogy.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
1>>>>2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3
One is one of my favorite games of all time.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
ME2 easily, the cast in 1 were far more talking/walking codex entries than they were interesting characters. Never cared that much about the overarching storyline, called it from the start that they were never gonna pull it off with how overpowered they made the Reaper, they went too large scale with that shit. I appreciate ME1 for being an excellent introduction to the world of ME but ME2 is just so much better at the stuff I care about. Mainly the characters and I love the atmosphere and worldbuilding of my sci-fi to be on seedier Blade Runner side of things than the cleaner Star Trek one.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I expected less votes for the third but I never imagined this. Era is still royally pissed about it ha.

I liked the 2 more at the time but I keep coming back to playing 3 back to back.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Man, deciding between 1 and 2 is freaking hard. I think I'd have to replay everything to definitively choose.

ME Trilogy Remaster when EA? Come on.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
This poll needs a fourth option for the CORRECT answer:
Mass Effect 3 (Multiplayer)

I know I'm probably alone in this, but I couldn't give a heck about the story or characters in ME, but I played hundreds of hours of that multiplayer.
It was the main reason I bought Andromeda, because I was hoping for more multiplayer, but that game seemed to heck up that area too. The group of friends I had that played ME3 Multiplayer religiously maybe played 10 rounds of Andromeda multiplayer before we all bounced and never returned.

Oct 29, 2017
I find it kind of funny how many complain about the ending in Mass Effect 3, and dont mention anything about 2's ending. Do any of you remember how ridicolous the ending/end boss of Mass Effect 2 was? I felt that was way more damaging to my impression of the series than the ending of 3.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I dont like the direction of the series (more action oriented, light on RPG mechanics) they took with 2 I cant deny the overall quality and execution. 1 had great mechanics but the game was clunky in comparison.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
People that vote 1 are just drinking that nostalgia indoctrination juice.

3 has the best gameplay and concludes the story, which puts it above 2 for me.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
As single player experiences I'll rank them 1 > 2 > 3, but I was tempted to vote for 3 just for its fantastic multiplayer.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Mass Effect 2 was the best in my opinion. I've really enjoyed its premise, darker tone, more refined gameplay, bigger focus on character arcs and variety of planets.

Mass Effect 3 would be in a second place. A lot of people tend to give it a flack for a weak ending, but seriously it's just a few percents of a great game with so much epic stuff happening and gameplay combining almost all of the best things from ME1 and ME2.

Mass Effect 1 would be in the last place. It wasn't a bad game, though, far from it to be honest. But clearly it was the weakest one out of three with its rough gameplay and vision that wasn't properly expanded until later games.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect 1.
ME2 has a great cast, but the plot was way worse for me.
ME3 is just a bad game, and not only for the ending.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
I prefer a pure rpg over a more action-oriented rpg any day of the week... However, I just love the plot of 2. It's got so much tempo and I love the way the story comes together at the end. So I somehow have to give the nod to 2. Even though I should love 1 more I guess?

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I find it kind of funny how many complain about the ending in Mass Effect 3, and dont mention anything about 2's ending. Do any of you remember how ridicolous the ending/end boss of Mass Effect 2 was? I felt that was way more damaging to my impression of the series than the ending of 3.
Besides the final boss though the suicide mission of ME2 is awesome, there's a lot of variations to who can live and who dies and it's generally pretty exciting since the entire game has been building towards that moment. The reaper terminator is admittedly pretty damn stupid though.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

Tbh, i don't think the ending is the only weak part of ME 3's story. The opening with the star child for example, is terrible. As is everything surrounding cerberus.

Tuchanka and the Geth conclusion are the only story parts i liked.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
2 is the best complete package

1 does an incredible job at world and character building. it's amazing how confident that world is from the opening moments, there doesn't really feel like there's any teething problems at all. it's just the gameplay that really lets it down. it isn't awful but it's far and away the worst in the series

3 probably has the best gameplay. it definitely has the best multiplayer. people talk way too much about the ending, but 95% of that game is good and super solid

2 tells the best story while leveraging all of the hard work that was laid down in the first game. it feels worse than 3, but it's not as big a jump from 2 to 3 as it is from 1 to 2.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
2 is my favorite. The mid-trilogy "reboot" that it kinda represents is odd but the new status quo that comes with it is intriguing enough to be my dig. I like the crew that assembles in 2 more than any other game in the series too, and I personally think it's way more playable than 1.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
ME1 had actual gameplay. Storywise it had almost unlimited potential and wasn't afraid of itself. Exploring planets and finding weird abandoned outposts or caves or whatever was janky but with a great sense of freedom. This game still had a soul and a sense of wonder.

ME2 in comparison was restrictive and linear with a predictable story. The sub-arcs to raise the level of your crew members felt like a checklist. The pacing of it all was not organic, there was no sense of urgency or freedom - despite the premise. Overall ME2 was carried by it's cast but the underlying game was just...bad. I think if all the padding was removed and ME2 was released as a pure visual novel it would be a much better game for it.

ME3 had better gameplay than 2 but it felt like a hollow AAA shell. Nothing made sense. Previous decisions had no impact on the course of the story. By far the best thing about ME3 was the multiplayer horde mode.

ME1 >>>> ME2 > ME3

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1 >> 2 >>> 3 >>> Andromeda

Virmire forever in our hearts.

ME: Best atmosphere, story, settings and gameplay
ME2: Best characters and combat
ME3: The beginning of the end

Humiliating for Bioware that over four games there was a sharp continuous decline in quality. How is that even possible.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
After playing the series again very recently, I can safely say 2 is the best Mass Effect game.

2>3>1>Andromeda.

I also don't hate Andromeda as much as many do but its definitely the weakest.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to choose, honestly. I loved all 3. I think it's ME1 for me. I can't say whether it's better, but I think it's the one I'm most likely to re-play.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I was on PS3 last gen so played the complete version of 2 first,then I waited for all the dlc to be released for 3 before playing it,then they released the first one so I played that too.
I enjoyed 2 the most,but the complete version of 3 was pretty good too despite the questionable ending.....I get the love for the first because of the story telling but after playing the others first the gameplay was a lot worse.
I'd vote for 2 as the best overall.

Oct 27, 2017
The Ether
It's ME2, of course.

ME1 was incredible at the time. I just recently tried to replay it though and it's a goddamn mess. That game has not aged well at all. The gameplay, that is. The story still rules.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
This poll needs a fourth option for the CORRECT answer:
Mass Effect 3 (Multiplayer)

I know I'm probably alone in this, but I couldn't give a heck about the story or characters in ME, but I played hundreds of hours of that multiplayer.
It was the main reason I bought Andromeda, because I was hoping for more multiplayer, but that game seemed to heck up that area too. The group of friends I had that played ME3 Multiplayer religiously maybe played 10 rounds of Andromeda multiplayer before we all bounced and never returned.

You're not alone. Hundreds of hours across X360 and PC for ME3MP. Mostly solo PUG, sometimes with a couple friends.

I had high hopes for Andromeda's MP too :/

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
The focus and finesse of ME2 makes it the winner for me. The pace of it is perfection, replayed it twice cause of it.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Best story: Mass Effect 1
Best worldbuilding: Mass Effect 1
Best squadmates: Mass Effect 2
Best combat: Mass Effect 3

I particularly hate how ME2 forces you to work for Cerberus (even though the Illusive Man says you can leave whenever you want yet the game never gives you the option) and then ME3 blames you for it.

Overall, ME1 is my favorite, so I think it's the best in the trilogy.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Story 1 > 2 > 3
Quests and companions 2 > 1 > 3
Combat 3 > 2 > 1
Ending 1 > 2 > 3

Overall 2 is the best for me
It's pretty much this for me but to elaborate...

Story 1 >> 2 >>>> 3
Quests 2 >>> 1 = 3
Companions 2 >>>>>> 3 >>> 1
Combat 3 >> 2 >>>>>> 1
Ending 1 = 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
2 > 3 > 1
1 still has the best story but the gameplay is atrocious. 2 still holds up today in all regards. 3 has a disappointing ending that taints the rest of the experience but is very good.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
"The fun parts" of Mass Effect 2 are by and large completely disconnected from the overarching plot of Mass Effect that the series is supposed to be about.

If it weren't for like four of the sidequests you could cut ME2 out entirely of the series to no discernible effect. Mass Effect 3 starts with Shepard pissing about waiting for the Reapers to show up like they ended the first game.
Mass Effect was supposed to be a galactic space opera about uniting the galaxy to fight an overwhelming threat. Just because the third game shit the bed doesn't excuse the second game for having literally nothing to do with anything important.

Yes Mass Effect 2 on its own merits has excellent characters with exciting storylines but to get there they threw everything else away.

You're wrong. Read part III.

www.resetera.com

So, with Mass Effect 2’s 10th anniversary today, I just wanted to say a bunch of stuff about why I love it so much.

Mass Effect 2 is the most important game in my life. It changed how I perceive not only videogames but also films, series, books and any other form of entertainment or art. Why? Well, the short answer is: because it’s a special game in which every individual part is amazing, and the sum of them...

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I completed the first game more than 10 times and only completed the other two games once or twice. ME1 is a very special experience, the other games didn't manage to do the same. I especially loved the long range combat in the first game which wasn't possible in the corridors of 2 and 3. And the planet exploration, while repetitive, gave the universe a much bigger and complete feel.

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
ME1 is still the best for me, it felt like the space RPG it was billed as. Yeah it's janky but the gameplay was still fun, the space opera feel is unmatched, it had a coherant narrative from beginning to end and exploring felt amazing, yes even in the Mako. It's up there in my all-time favourite games.

ME2 had better gunplay, barebones RPG mechanics and loads of corridors. The overarching story was meh compared to the first but the individual character arcs are amazing and it has one of the more iconic intros in gaming.

ME3 had the best gunplay, better RPG elements than ME2, I like the combo elements in combat, I chuckled at the palette change endings but I do like the DLC side stories.

All three games are great, shame about ME3's ending and Andromeda but otherwise I'm interested to see where the series goes from here.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I voted for ME1 because the series gets more actiony in the sequels and because the superior antagonist, Saren.

I fully expected ME2 to run away with this one though.

mueske

Apr 11, 2019
Mass Effect 2 didn't have a story. It's a completely pointless entry into the trilogy. It's terribly written and ushered in the clear decline of BioWare.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017

The final boss was hilariously bad, but it didn't take away from what still, to me, was one of the most nerve wracking things I've seen in gaming in the Suicide Mission. Game did a great job of making you care about every character, and you really felt like a leader picking who does what, knowing that if you chose incorrectly, it meant someone's life. And dat music.

Really enjoyed 1 though I think it had too much Mako padding. 2 was bad with it as well with planet resources, but it was still a better system than driving the mako. I did love the gameplay of 1 with how tactical it was, but 2 was just a fucking blast to play.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1 must've been a "you had to be there" moment. I tried going back to that game twice in the past ten years, and holy christ, its bad. Yeah, yeah, plot plot plot, 1980s Space Opera vibes, actually playing that game ten years after release is a miserable experience lmao. Combat sucks, the RPG systems suck, the level design is basically three different warehouses in between loading screens, the Mako BIG sucks, and even the presentation values of the "story" ME1 defenders drone on about is light years behind the two sequels.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
ME3 is just a bad game, and not only for the ending.
Exactly this. Even as a standalone it comes off as a cheap Uncharted knockoff that does have some moments of narrative weight and okay-ish combat. I still think, compared to its inspirations like Gears of War and the like Mass Effect 3 still only goes so far with it. It has serviceable cover and shooting mechanics only, not fantastic, even though I like the visceral melee variations (That also feel very hardlocked) and the things that makes it get away with it are tactical pausing, squad commands and tech/biotic abilities.

But there's a lack of depth to both encounter design and squad leveling I think. I think the way the RPG skill trees were expanded were a token gesture to those that complained ME2 was too streamlined. In hindsight I consider ME2's skill tree perfectly succinct; giving you just the skill strategies and variation you need that actually seem to have an impact. I didn't ever feel the impact of choosing "+0,5 biotic force vs 12% shield recharge" in ME3 and things like that. There's too much focus on raw gameplay skill in shooting, covering and tactics in ME3 to warrant that much of a skill tree. ME1 is the only game in which the RPG systems are there to determine how succesful and prepared you are for combat.

And with the downgrades to game design, writing and player agency ME3 just stood out as an actual poor game to me. A 6/10. I remember there was a column in my danish GameReactor magazine to the review roundup of the game, the main review gave it a perfect 10/10 saying bullshit like "They did the impossible and made a perfect conclusion to a trilogy." but the column on the right had a shortened but more critical review complaining about the story's nonsense, fallacies and lack of depth to game-design and concluded on a 6/10. That was cathartic to me as someone who expected everything like ME2 and then some but got a sorry excuse for a sequel instead.

It's right down there with Dead Space 2 vs Dead Space 3 for me. The propotional loss of quality is the same.