Which practical werewolf design is the best?

• Wolfman

Votes: 35 6.9%
  • The Howling

Votes: 43 8.4%
  • And American Werewolf in London

Votes: 185 36.3%
  • Bad Moon

Votes: 19 3.7%
  • Dog Soldiers

Votes: 67 13.1%
  • Underworld

Votes: 123 24.1%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 38 7.5%

• Total voters

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Wolfman's iconic, but having just watched it for the first time I'd probably give it to American Werewolf in London on that list. That thing is freaky as hell, and has one of, if not the best transformation I've ever seen.

Not on the list but I also like Van Helsing's
1499655761c648173198c9ca075f5a26.gif

6lTTZcR.gif

Just because it's a guilty pleasure movie
Yoooo I love this movie. The transformation is so crazy. Hasn't aged the best. But still my favorite werewolf transformation

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That has to be the most consistently terrible looking movie monster, right?
Yup, just doesn't translate well and it's usually a race to least shittiest looking versus best.

That said I voted other my pick is Ginger Snaps, then probably Dog Soldiers, but seriously they are just the best in comparison to the lot, still pretty shit in general.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
An American Werewolf in London edges out the other choices with its design, transformation scene, and sound effects.

Dog soldiers and the howling come at a close second.

Oct 8, 2019
That has to be the most consistently terrible looking movie monster, right?
Jon Talbain is one of my favorite video game characters so its always hugely disappointing to watch these movies and see someone think "The monster should look half dead, and diseased right". Van Helsing looked really cool though. One of the few that I think nailed it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What Dracula's wolf form from Bram Stoker's Dracula

dvU.gif

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I love basically all of these movies.

I'm happy someone mentioned Silver Bullet and Bad Moon.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I gave my vote to Underworld. However I have to say that the transformations in Van Helsing are my favourite, with the way they have to rip off the human skin during the transformation (and then shedding the fur when turning back).

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Jon Talbain is one of my favorite video game characters so its always hugely disappointing to watch these movies and see someone think "The monster should look half dead, and diseased right". Van Helsing looked really cool though. One of the few that I think nailed it.

That's why I said movies specifically. Games have done it well both realistic and stylized.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I know you're looking for practical effects and not CG, but my favorite has always been Harry Potter's werewolf. I just love how lanky and creepy it looks when in motion. Somehow its design and movements always unnerved me more than any proper horror movie werewolf ever did.

IpkwGwL.gif

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Dogs Soldiers and Underworld are my favorite for their designs
Van Helsing for the actual movement and werewolf action
American Werewolf for the transformation

havent seen Howling yet

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dogs Soldiers and Underworld are my favorite for their designs
Van Helsing for the actual movement and werewolf action
American Werewolf for the transformation

havent seen Howling yet
Your slacking. The original howling is a classic. As for the sequels I love that the seconded movie has the unforgettable subtitle of "your sister is a werewolf".

But yeah, don't want to preach to much I know you take your viewing seriously and have not only watched a lot of films but have put a quite a bit of time into critique and analysis, but seriously the first howling is one of those movies anyone on a serious quest to absorb all good horror should see.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
AAWIL had the best transformation, but the end result always looked crappy to me. Like a cartoonishly angry badger or sloth or something.

As far as practical goes, I thought the UK version of Being Human did a pretty great job, and their transformation effects took a lot of cues from Rick Baker. Plus the character of George was really compelling.

p01gnhjb.jpg

But my overall fave is Van Helsing, despite the CGI:

223f0299d80e497ba6734ba560d35b13.png

Three distinct designs, a unique transformation I haven't seen before or since (apart from that recent Love Death Robots homage), and viciously ferocious in a way most others fail to be.

Interestingly, the original designer behind this version, horror artist Carlos Huante, also consulted on the Goosebumps movie, and their werewolf was nearly as awesome:

5410a2bf1a2845a6716139ba2658927d.gif

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Your slacking. The original howling is a classic. As for the sequels I love that the seconded movie has the unforgettable subtitle of "your sister is a werewolf".

But yeah, don't want to preach to much I know you take your viewing seriously and have not only watched a lot of films but have put a quite a bit of time into critique and analysis, but seriously the first howling is one of those movies anyone on a serious quest to absorb all good horror should see.
Oh it's definitely on my watchlist. I actually just saw American Werewolf In London for the first time yesterday (loved it), and I'm in the mood for more. So I'll probably forego a Dog Soldiers rewatch to check out The Howling

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
American Werewolf in London followed by....

Prisoner of Azkaban. (I know it's CG, but come on)

bEyiXaP.gif

5PTorIO.gif

So. Damn. Creepy.

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
American Werewolf in London hands down, great transformation, great werewolf design and it's howl in particular still holds up imo.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
But my overall fave is Van Helsing, despite the CGI:

223f0299d80e497ba6734ba560d35b13.png

Three distinct designs, a unique transformation I haven't seen before or since (apart from that recent Love Death Robots homage), and viciously ferocious in a way most others fail to be.

Interestingly, the original designer behind this version, horror artist Carlos Huante, also consulted on the Goosebumps movie, and their werewolf was nearly as awesome:

5410a2bf1a2845a6716139ba2658927d.gif
Carlos Huante is a distinguished creature designer who's been around a good long time. He does cool work.

Those designs are good, but to be honest I like them as far as they resemble buff dudes. It's the Silent Hill effect, like with Pyramid Head and the Nurses: they have enough appealing parts to where you're like "OK, that monster is a little bit sexy."

Werewolves are still goofy overall.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
American Werewolf in London's hell hound design is terrifying and is sufficiently wolf-like without just having a wolf head stuck on a human body. I like that even though it's on all fours the back legs look like human legs too, so it's not too wolfy. It feels like a true monster.

After that the OG wolfman design: it's just a classic, elegant design

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
The one from the Del Toro-Hopkins movie was a genuinely terrifying force of nature.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I read in the OP where it said 'practical effects only" but I'm in agreement with the Van Helsing people. I will admit, I was blazed out of my mind at the theater the first time I saw it and it may have colored my opinions of the movie. I loved the film though. The werewolf design was great, even if the cgi was obvious mid-00's looking cgi that looked kind of 'seperate' from whatever else was on screen. The transformations are what did it for me though, that scene where he crawls up the wall and starts shedding/ripping his flesh off revealing the fur and muscles underneath.

The first Underworld came out around the new too and I remember loving the movie but being really disappointed in the sub-nosed, regular-faced werewolf design. If Underworld had had werewolves that looked like the onsnin Van Helsing??? Wooo boy, wouldn't that have ever been amazing...

Last edited: