GOTY 2018

• God of War

Votes: 638 37.9%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 1,044 62.0%

• Total voters

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
GoW was a fun experience the first time around, but I can't say I've thought about it much since.

RDR 2 was a once in a lifetime gaming experience for me. One that still lingers in my mind six years on because of various moments and memorable characters. And that's before mentioning just the technical marvel of the world that R* created. Definitely RDR 2 for me.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
gow by a mile,
rdr2 is a beautifully handcrafted world wasted with unbearable rockstar controls and comically rigid mission design.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I think God of War is a fantastic videogame, I finished it three times, loved the story, pacing, and everything (even more than Ragnarok). However, Red Dead is just a stupidly impressive achievement on all fronts, plot, graphics, it is one of the best games I've ever played, so yeah, I got to give it to that, it's overall the best... Experience I'd say

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
God of War but it's only because the downtime in RDR2 is so egregiously boring and there's a lot of it. If you can stomach or even enjoy that (for me it heavily depends on mood) then I think it's a hard game to beat. It's a really big if though.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Of those 2, Red Dead. But maaaaan neither of them are 2018's GotY for me in a year that had Smash Ultimate, Monster Hunter World, and Hitman 2 to name a few.

froday

Banned
Jul 29, 2018
RDR 2 is just a joy to play when you set your mind to playing it correctly. Played like most games it feels clumsy and slow. Played like you are really in that place it feels transformative. Being in that world really feels like being in nature out west.

Jun 25, 2022
Even putting the story/combat/systems/mechanics aside which are all better in RDR2, GoW is a linear action game that I played once, uninstalled and never touched it or thought of again while RDR2 is a sandbox I put in over 1000 hours and never removed it from my library.

It's not even close.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Everything from a gameplay/controls perspective is bad, I'm sorry.
The controls are archaic.
The mission structure is trapped in the ps2 era.
It has great animations, but at the cost of the players time. Any simple interaction with the world is a chore when you have to wait for Arthur to go through the animations every single time.

I don't think the story is anything special, nor the characters. Probably the most overrated aspect that gets praised a lot, and the campaign is bloated.
How many times are you going to relocate your base Dutch! (also fast travel sucks in this game, at least it has some form of it unlike you Mafia 3!)

I can't really comment on the MP as I barely spent any time with that.
I also neglected to mention the soundtrack in my original post. Again, can't comment much about that as I don't remember it at all.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I like both games. But I do like playing GoW a decent chunk more.

Red Dead 2 I like playing a lot less with their you have to do this mission how we want structure do not dare to walk off the path we want you to be on and the frankly just at that time bad systemic systems like how bad the wanted system for example was, that just wasn't rockstar level quality. Red Dead 2 shines cause of its story mostly.

I did like 100% the base game in Red Dead 2 as well (and that took like 4 months of waiting for Rockstar to patch out progress blocking bugs). Basically I engaged with most of the game but it's definitely not something that impressed me beyond the money that was thrown into its level of production quality very much. Never returned to it, never felt the want to engage with its online part and also kinda never want to replay it again.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
I don't think the story is anything special, nor the characters. Probably the most overrated aspect that gets praised a lot, and the campaign is bloated.
How many times are you going to relocate your base Dutch! (also fast travel sucks in this game, at least it has some form of it unlike you Mafia 3!)
lmao this take.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
From this:
www.resetera.com

ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018

OVERALL | GENRE | PLATFORM | CENSUS | DATA Notes: Big thanks to Muzy, BeardedMan01, Rösti, OneAndOnly, Hecht, ratrosaw and all of the site staff for assisting in this year's GOTY effort. This year's trophy was designed and created by Rösti. Thank you community for voting and commenting...

To what the poll is showing.

It's other ERA now.
I'm still impressed that a PSVR game (Astro Bot) finished in the top 10. That was my personal GOTY. ❤️

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
bobby-fish-wheres-the-lie.gif

Deleted member 3924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think its a technically and artistically stunning game that extends far beyond just "visuals and world systems". The voice performances, music and sound design for a start. Even though I felt little for the shooting or long distance horse riding in that game its still deserving of its absurdly high review average imo just because of how much went into making this world and characters out of time so believable.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I Platinumed God of War and loved that game.

Red Dead Redemption 2 was my favorite game of the entire generation, and felt like a once in a lifetime special project. I still play it regularly and it's one of the best games ever made.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I actually enjoyed playing God of War more. Hard to argue RDR2 isn't the better game though. Kinda like how I enjoy watching Spring Breakers over Anatomy of a Fall.

MXG

Oct 29, 2018
I love God of War. This is the most "complete" single player game in the last decade. With unique settings, visual and storytelling. Gameplay is also top notch. This game is fine as gaming gets.

That being said, RDR2 is one of the best experience in any medium of entertainment.

It's not really fair for GOW to compare it to something as behemoth as RDR2.

Jan 11, 2018
From this:
www.resetera.com

ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018

OVERALL | GENRE | PLATFORM | CENSUS | DATA Notes: Big thanks to Muzy, BeardedMan01, Rösti, OneAndOnly, Hecht, ratrosaw and all of the site staff for assisting in this year's GOTY effort. This year's trophy was designed and created by Rösti. Thank you community for voting and commenting...

To what the poll is showing.

It's other ERA now.

Celeste being so high warms my heart.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
One of the many, many things I love about Red Dead 2's soundtrack is how its focal track—"Unshaken"—is such a natural extension of what D'Angelo was doing on Black Messiah. Listening to that song in game I didn't just feel the waves battering against Arthur's beleaguered body, but the emotional heft of that album too. A truly inspired, incisive choice.

Pliskin

Jun 16, 2021
I just wish the character in RDR2 didn't move like an elephant in Jupiter. Is there a mod for this issue? It would help so many people to enjoy the game.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
RDR 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, top 3, and I just couldn't enjoy RDR2 for very long. It's so, so easy to get a fail state simply because you didn't do the mission EXACTLY the way Rockstar intended. It's such a strange juxtaposition to get the freedom of their open world, yet have extremely restrictive missions that penalize you for the slightest deviation.

For that reason I give it to God of War. GoW is also a great game and has a moving story as well.

Last edited:

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I binged GoW in a couple days.

I have started RDR2 several times and always put it down. It's an incredibly impressive game that feels like its made by people that hate fun and are obsessed with details to the degree of making the thing miserable to play. I'd prefer that it just be an interactive museum mode or a video than a playable game. Maybe a VR experience.

Meanwhile Kratos can do sick combos and launch enemies into the air. Arthur should be able to do that and I'd be more kind to the game. #LetHimGunJuggle

nilbog

Movie Aficionado
Oct 25, 2017
Under the Silver Lake
RDR2

GoW was ok but for me the world was largely forgettable and once I played it no desire to come back.

RDR2 however is an unforgettable experience, and one I've replayed several times now.

VIPER

Nov 12, 2023
I tried RDR2 and I've never been more bored in my life.

God of War at least resembles a video game in some way.

KENMASTERS1

Apr 9, 2021
i can understand that RDR2 isn't everyone's cup of tea, but regardless of taste i can't understand anyone thinking god of war comes close. it's one of the most unbelievable games ever made.

god of war was a pretty good action game with a smart premise. RDR2 was an instant classic that will be talked about for decades.

this is also why i think the premise of the thread is silly. how can you possibly compare these games' "gameplay"? treating GOTY as an inevitable two-horse race just forces pointless arbitrary comparisons.

i thought celeste played better than god of war so maybe that should've been GOTY 2018.

also this
this

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
RDR2 was great, but it was mad self-indulgent and the controls were awful. I replayed GoW recently and it is still fantastic.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Usually, the reasons I see people wowed by RD2 are never specifically gameplay related

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
Usually, the reasons I see people wowed by RD2 are never specifically gameplay related
I love the gameplay of RDR2.

I love how Arthur controls

I love the gunplay, I love how tactile and brutal it is

I love the melee system, I love the numerous contextual moves in it.

I was wowed by RDR2 gameplay.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

There isn't a single game on the market that comes close to RDR 2's horse riding, which is important considering how much of the game is spent doing it.
I also think the shooting is great, fantastic hit reactions, great sound and recoil. Definitely significantly better on PC at 60+ fps though.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
God of War easily.

RDR2 is one of the most incredible games ever, an achievement,but I absolutely hate how it controls.