Which games do you usually buy on Switch?

• I only buy first party games

Votes: 555 23.4%
  • I buy both first and third party games

Votes: 1,612 67.9%
  • I mostly buy indie games and that's it

Votes: 143 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 64 2.7%

• Total voters

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath and Marvel Ultimate Alliance are the only third party Switch games I own I think.

Neuromancer

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Generally speaking I buy 1st party games and 2D games/indies on the Switch. Anything that's 3D I tend to buy on PlayStation 4.

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
Dragon Quest IX S and Octopath if they count

Also: Tales of vesperia, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Original Sin 2, Ori, Trials of Mana, YS8, Final Fantasy XII, Hellblade, MH Gen Ultimate, a bunch of RE games, Okami. I can keep going, but yeah. If the game is on Switch I buy it on Switch.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I buy majority of my 3rd party games on Switch now. Graphics are downgraded for now until Switch Pro, but playing portable is my main way to game nowadays, especially if you can play Dark Souls in the can.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the stuff is Nintendo or Indie.

Problem is most third party sucks on the Switch. Take the 2k remakes which everyones already played.

Or the ones I want like civilization or PGA tour apparently run like garbage

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I bought Mario & Rabbids. The rest are either Nintendo published or indie digital from the eShop.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'm a Nintendo handheld guy, not a console guy. I pretty much only buy third party stuff, and this continues with the Switch even if it's also a home console.

Nintendo-wise, I only own Animal Crossing and Mario Kart.

--

But I do agree that most people buy the Switch for a few Nintendo games. This has been Nintendo's experience since the 64.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only ones I've bought are typically pixel art games that aren't gonna get much advantage out of my PC (like Sonic Mania). That and third party exclusives like Golf Story. Might buy Moon and Deadly Preomonition 2 in a year if it seems like they aren't gonna get ports.

Feb 9, 2018
The last time I had any appreciable amount of third-party games for a Nintendo system was the GameCube.

The only third-party games I have on the Switch are Octopath Traveler and Blaster Master Zero. I did have The Wonderful 101 on the Wii U (and I had a hard time getting into it). And on the Wii I downloaded Final Fantasy IV: The After Years and Gradius Rebirth off of WiiWare. And that's the extent of my third-party title purchases on Nintendo systems over the past 14 years.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
I've bought far more third party titles for Switch than I have for any other Nintendo console I've owned.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
My Switch is only for exclusives. Everything else is just much better in other platforms.

set0k

Oct 28, 2017
If the quality is there, then sure. I've purchased more third party on Switch then, say, Wii U or Wii or Gamecube. That's mostly due to third parties actually supporting the system.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I buy mostly first party games and then some third parties, but I always give preference to the switch when it comes to indies.

FEVER333

Sep 7, 2020
Sometimes. Yooka Laylee, Spongebob, Crash Bandicoot, Lego, etc. That being said, I largely own a Switch for first party titles, and buy far more of them than I do third party offerings in a typical year.

OP
OP
King Dodongo

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe add a third poll option "Why does this thread exist?"

We get NPD reports every month; the reports are clear that third party switch games are sold. I am don't understand why we need this thread about some ignorant random posts about Switch third party games.

As the poster below you accurately mentioned, the question is about this site's gaming community. It's more than obvious that we wouldn't easily find out the numbers that third parties make on the system.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
First party, indie and retro third party stuff (Sega collection, SF Collection, SNK games etc.) I don't touch the non-console exclusive AAA third party stuff on the Switch with a ten foot pole.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
The portability makes me dramatically more likely to actually play games I buy given constraints on time so switch is my preferred console for all types of games. A robust virtual console would have been awesome for me on switch but alas.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I do when the game will get played more on a mobile device. I actual debate buying RPGs on Switch as a PS4/PC user that are available everywhere else because the chance of me actually beating it is higher on Switch.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Like 90% of the games I buy for Ninty consoles are from Nintendo. I do *have* third party games, but they are mostly indies, exclusives or games that I think would be better as portable games. I don't really buy 3rd party multiplats for Nintendo consoles and haven't seen the.. SNES?

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I buy good games that interest me. I buy plenty from Squeenix (DQXI, DQ I-III, DQ Heroes, FFX/X-2, FFV-IX, Octopath), Firaxis (XCOM 2/Civ VI and its DLC) and any other place that puts out games I actually want. I have 50 indies (the latest being Nexomon which is fantastic, and Overcooked 1/2 being among my most played games).

My split at the moment is roughly 60% Nintendo, 40% indie/third-party. I'm not going to just buy something to support 'third-parties' on the Switch. If you bring a game I like, I'll buy it. Simple.

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Usually stick to exclusives only since I won a Ps4 and Pc but I grab anything I like to have portable like FFX, Yugioh, FF8, and other indie or older rpgs.

Jan 31, 2018
Since getting the system back in April, I now have 12 games for the switch of which all but one are ports. The only nintendo exclusive I have is BotW.

Basically, big, big fan of portable gaming. Not really interested in nintendo's first party stuff.

ninshado

Sep 5, 2020
I'm constantly broke so in the 2 and a half years I've had my switch I've bought about 5 first party titles and Celeste. Thankfully the games I do have are very replayable so I don't mind only having a few.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I used to see my Switch as my main console for indie games but since I'm not confident in Nintendo havin BC in the future I went away from that. Mainly buy exclusives now and nothing else

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
I'm just going to do physical copies for now...

- Nintendo -
1-2-Switch
Animal Crossing
Bayonetta 1 + 2 (I'm counting it as, to the best of my knowledge, these were funded by Nintendo)
Hyrule Warriors
Legend of Zelda: BotW
LABO 1
LABO 4
Mario Kart 8
Ring Fit Adventure
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Maker 2
Super Mario OdysseyXenoblade Chronicles
Xenoblade 2
Xenoblade 2: Golden Country

... and...

AI: The Somnium Files
Aokana: Four Rhythms Across the Blue
Assassin's Creed III: Remastered
Assassin's Creed: The Rebel Collection
Atelier Dusk Trilogy
Atelier Lulua
Atelier Lydie and Suelle
Atelier Ryza
Axiom Verge
Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack
Batman: The Telltale Series
Bendy and the Ink Machine
Binding of Isaac
Bioshock: The Collection
Blazblue CentralFiction
Burnout: Paradise
Catherine: Full Body
Cave Story+
Clannad
Code of Princess EX
Cytus
Dark Souls: Remastered
Darksiders Warmastered
Darksiders II
Darksiders Genesis
Dead by Daylight
Dead or Alive Xtreme 3
Dead or School
Death Mark
Deemo
Diablo III
Disaster Report 4
Disgaea 1
Disgaea 4
Disgaea 5
DOOM
Dragon Ball Fighterz
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Dragon Quest XI S
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Fate/EXTELLA
Fate/EXTELLA Link
Fifa 18
Final Fantasy X/X-2
Flipping Death
The Fox Awaits Me
Friday the 13th
Gal Metal
Gal*Gun 2
Ghostbusters
Grisaia Trilogy
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA MEGA 39s
Hello Neighbor
I am Setsuna.
Katamari Damacy Reroll
Kotodama
LA Noire
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk
Layton's Mystery Journey
Little Busters
Little Inferno
Mary Skelter 2
Minecraft: Story Mode Season One
Minecraft: Story Mode Season Two
Momodora
Mortal Kombat 11
Musynx
My Girlfriend is a Mermaid!?
My Hero One's Justice
Namco Museum Arcade Pac
Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists
NG
Nights of Azure 2
Ninjala
Obakeidoro
Octopath Traveler
Okami
Our World is Ended
Overwatch
Phoenix Wright Trilogy
Princess Guide
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Remilore
Resident Evil Origins Collection
Resident Evil Revelations Collection
Rime
River City Girls
Rocket League
Root Letter
Scribblenauts Mega Pack
Senran Kagura: Peach Ball
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Sid Meier's Civilization VI
Steins;Gate Elite
Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Super Bomberman R
Super Meat Boy
Super Neptunia RPG
Superbeat Xonic
Syberia
Syberia 2
Syberia 3
Tales of Vesperia
Tokyo School Life
Tomoyo After: It's a Wonderful Life (Just came in today)
Touhou Kobuto V
Travis Strikes Again
VOEZ
Will: A Wonderful World
Witcher III
Wonderful 101
World Ends With You: Final Remix
WorldEnd Syndrome
WWE 2K18
Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist
Yu-No: A girl that who chants love at the bound of this world.

... I feel like I'm leaving something out. I love my third parties on Switch when possible.

Oct 25, 2017
pretty sure switch is the most profitible platform for indie development by like a huge margin, so the "nintendo owners don't buy third party" thing is a myth.

maybe "nintendo owners don't buy garbage ports of triple A trash you can buy anywhere" is more accurate.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Less than 1/4 of my Switch library is first-party games. The inverse was probably true on past Nintendo platforms.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Since performance and visuals are pretty low on my list of concerns (so long as either aren't game-breakingly terrible, at least) I basically buy everything I can on Switch so long as the price isn't ridiculously higher than other places.

Even beyond portability, I vastly prefer the Switch interface over that of my Xbox

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I do both

I get multiplats on PC and switch

Rocket league for example.

Also

JRPGS (cause ain't nothing more comfy than playing a JRPG all snugged up in bed on a cold day )

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
Bought the Switch for Nintendo it's my 3rd console
However I have bought The Witcher 3 and Borderlands collection for travel and handheld play
It's a tremendous value to have those options

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I picked other. I buy first party (obviously) and indie mostly now.

The last third party game I considered buying was The Outer Worlds Switch port, and it didn't turn out too great so I skipped it.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know quite how to vote. Along with platform exclusives, I have a lot of indies on my Switch, but not really AAA multi-platform games, as I use my PS4 for that. The only exception is Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest XI, really.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
My Nintendo exclusive to third party games on my switch I think is close to 1:3 ratio in third parties favor.

My switch is any rpg I am interested in, any indie I want to play, and Nintendo games