Did you like Ghost of Tsushima?

• Loved it! Sequel please

Votes: 481 48.8%
  • Liked it. It was fun but nothing too special.

Votes: 210 21.3%
  • It was alright. Not too interesting.

Votes: 181 18.4%
  • I didn’t like it. It wasn’t fun.

Votes: 66 6.7%
  • I hated it.

Votes: 15 1.5%
  • Please bring back inFamous instead

Votes: 32 3.2%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
For as much as people love to complain about boring fetch/side quests in open world RPGs (and rightfully so), I feel like Ghost of Tsushima, and now Horizon Forbidden West as well, have some of the most interesting side quests in an open world RPG, yet it feels like they barely get any acknowledgment for it.

I remember doing a side quest in Ghost where a woman said she would go to the village where another relative lives, and then when I went to a random village I encountered her there! In that moment the world felt more alive than most people gave it credit for.

TASTokyo

Nov 8, 2017
Almost at the end of it myself and it's an okay Assassin's creed.

Combat is simple, but fun enough. Graphics are good. Environments are great.

On the other hand though, the mission variety is poor, way too many uninteresting side quests (imposter one sticks in my mind), writing and characters are not great, and it is very formulaic. The number of missions that go: talk with character, slow walk to horse while talking, slow ride on horse while talking, get off horse, brief talk, combat, slow walk and talk again is a bit much. It is a lot of unskippable slow walking.

Then for an open world I feel it gives almost no freedom. Often the game will force you to do things exactly as it intends. So it will ask you to ambush enemies, but then you can only start the mission when standing in the place it tells you to.

Bizarrely I think playing it after Miles Morales hurt it for me. Sony's open world games all have a similar feel now; Similar structure, similar missions, similar combat, similar stealth modes. However, Miles has the web swinging and wall crawling as unique points, is well paced, and the cutscenes are a step above.

Even the other open world games. Horizon has the robots with destructible parts, days gone I didn't play but I believe the hordes. GoT doesn't really have a unique gameplay element I feel.

I'd like a sequel but I hope they mix things up and allow for more variety in how you approach things, less slow walk sections, and more variety of things to do in the world.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Absolutely one of my all time favorites and I'm desperately waiting for the PC port.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I both think GoT is a pretty good Assassin's Creed-style game, yet also think in hindsight chatter it's weirdly becoming one of Sony's more overrated first-party games - whereas I think upon release it was actually rated pretty fairly! The one caveat I'd add to that is I haven't played the post-release MP mode, which I heard was very good.

Good:
- Strong aesthetic and art style giving it a distinctive look - the blowing grasses and falling leaves etc. are great
- Sword combat remains pretty fun throughout. The stances spice it up.
- Story starts slow and boring, but I think picks up after you rescue your uncle and finishes strong (I love the fight between you at the end)
- Using wind instead of constantly looking at your map was a great idea.
- Really liked the Japanese VA with subtitles

Meh:
- Those blowing reeds and stuff sometimes come at a cost in the form of very underwhelming visual fidelity on things like structures.
- Stealth combat is braindead easy, simplistic and OP
- Some of the worst, most repetitive content padding I've seen in an open-world game. Fuckin shrines and haikus man.
- A lot of the side-missions are extremely repetitive and have kinda crappy production values with static pulled out cameras etc.

I'm really interested to see a sequel to the game that learns and grows from what didn't work in the first one because I think there's a lot of good there that could shine in a more refined followup. I'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10 - didn't regret my time playing it, but also found myself quickly blowing through story missions in the final third or so because I was so bored and tired of the side content.

By no means a bad game at all, but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I read someone proclaim it a game of the generation or whatever. It was in many regards a bog standard open-world game.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Please bring back Sly Cooper instead***

This, but never gonna happen unfortunately. You'll get a bigger sequel with better graphics and the same tired formula instead.

I remember being absolutely intrigued by the trailers, then it came out and everything I've seen from the actual game bored me to tears and never found the mood to play another "one of those".

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Loved it and can't wait for the sequel. I'm glad I don't play that many open world style game and feel any burnout - the graphics, the settings, the combat, that title card and that ending. This was definitely my jam.
Yeah part of the reason i dont mind these open world games is, that i dont play a ton of them. Like i skipped all mainline Assassins Creed games since AC2 or almost all of Ubisoft games in general (watchdogs/farcry/ghost recon).
You know these are interesting points and might also be part of the reasons why this game clicked so much for me compared to other people. I also barely play open world games in general, I don't play AC at all or anything from Ubisoft, so all of GOT's "bog-standard open world formulaic elements" that people keep ducking the game for weren't really negative aspects in my case. For players like me, the overall experience felt much fresher. I'm so glad it sold satisfactory for Sony, so a sequel is inevitable.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Not to mention the amazing sound effects.

Steel slicing through flesh in this game probably the most sickening yet addicting and delicious to the ears.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I had bought it originally back on the PS4 and for some strange reason I gave up an hour in. I really struggling with the combat and never got into it. Looking back I was going through some tough personal shit. I ended up selling my physical copy.

Jumping ahead to this year I finally land a PS5 and the upgrade was on sale and I just always had this strange urge to give the game another shot.. well I am about 20 hours into my PS5 playthrough and its one of my favorite games of all time. I LOVE the combat and how bad ass I feel. I really want more of this world thats for sure. Looking forward to finishing up the main game and the DLC.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I loved it. I think I ended up beating it quicker then any other ps4 game. I even got the platinum.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
The first two acts were magical. I couldn't stop playing. I really didn't really care for the 3rd act though. Maybe that's an unpopular opinion?

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I remember doing a side quest in Ghost where a woman said she would go to the village where another relative lives, and then when I went to a random village I encountered her there! In that moment the world felt more alive than most people gave it credit for.

That is a fair point, but there are also no character models for children (outside of childhood Jin, who is more of a teen), so every single mission where someone was like "My child is missing!" my thought was the odds of retrieving that child are pretty low.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
I think it's "by the books" for an open world game, but there are so many smaller cool things it does that I love, paired with characters I really liked and incredible environments that it's near the top of my favorite open-world games. By contrast I completely burned out of Assassins Creed Valhalla after about 10-15 hours, and I love Vikings.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I remember playing this and AC Odyssey back to back and they could not be more different in terms of enjoyment.

Even though they are both open world, the formula or design emphasis has got to be so different. Was playing on lethal so I just love he juxtaposition of chilling in a beautiful bamboo grove one moment and sheer adrenaline in another.

My number Sony FP game so far, liked it even more than GoW.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
It's a game I've desperately tried to like, but it bored me to tears everytime I try to play it.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
It was one of my favorite Sony games released lately. Such a beautiful World, i was Always taking screenshots while playing this game !
The story began a little bland, i didn't like that much the main character but more i was playing it more i liked it !

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda bugs me that the game doesn't translate incidental dialogue from background NPCs when you play with Japanese audio and English subtitles.

Jan 11, 2018
Out of all the recent Sony open worlds this was the coolest concept to me, but my least favorite to actually play. It was fun at first, but the repetition of the quests set in quickly. And even on very hard, I was ridiculously OP to the point where I didn't even have to try against the "bosses."

Game is absolutely beautiful to look at though.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
Loved it! Nothing revolutionary it just excels at everything it does. Loved the combat, the scenery, and photo mode! Seriously, game is worth $60 for the photo mode

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I thought it was great at first but it was too long for its own good and got really repetitive by the end.

Make it a sweet 20 hour experience and it's great.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I had a great time with GoT and even got the platinum trophy. It's a well made game and a nice package of design choices and mechanics.

Despite all of that though, I really didn't think it was that much better than your typical AAA open world. The setting is about the only thing that truly set it apart.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
So Sony gave me a digital copy of the PS4 version(I also still have the collectors edition sealed) at launch and I waited to play it because I knew there was going to be a PS5 upgrade or at least hoped for it.

It was so much better than I thought it would be. After I 100% the base game and the DLC. I just really want more and couldn't get enough.

Also I was able to meet the voice actor for Jin and he was awesome. I did ask him if there was going to be a sequel. He told me they haven't said anything to him yet(this would've been in January).

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Got the platinum last month (main + iki).
It was a fantastic game with gorgeous graphics and setting and an interesting story (especially iki island).

If i have to summarize it: An Assassin's creed game that's better than Assassins creed.
My only complaint is that the game is too big, 2 parts were enough i think.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
I find combat better than elden ring im currently playing. Top notch. It destroys Valhala combat and gameplay. Its best AC in years.

Looks amazing. I think it should have ben shorter. Also start s very slow.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
It's an Ubisoft open-world that works very well because of amazing combat and the perfect amount of content for a game like this.

The combat is the biggest part though. The stances, the tactics needed to adapt to each challenge is great. When done well, it looks so cinematic while still being engaging. I remember wincing watching a friend just stick to one stance and mashing the attack button, looked downright awful.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
The best thing about it is that it had an upgrade system where every single upgrade was cool and something you wanted to have, and made the gameplay more interesting as a result.

Almost every other Ubisoft/Sony open world game have all these elaborate skill point systems where you waste skill points on uninteresting shit that you will never use, or worse, things you don't want just to finally get at a node you do want.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
It has that sense of exploration that BOTW and Elden Ring have where it's satisfying to explore just to see what cool stuff you'll find rather than just searching for the next collectible or mission marker

Worst lie ever on this forum.

Also, "follow the wind" is just as bad as follow the marker/mini map/compass bar. Its actual use is the exact same thing. Can't belive people seriously believes it's an elegant solution.

And yes, I hated this game. Paid 50 euro for it digitally. Worst spent money on a game ever.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
It was good, but not great.

I ended up dropping it dozen hours in, after I did everything on the first island. Felt like I had experienced everything at that point.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I tried to get into it multiple times, but it is just too mediocre and formulaic. It often feels like a Ubisoft game.

After the third time bouncing off it, I've given up and accepted that it's just not my kind of game.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most Ubisoft games I've played that wasn't made by Ubisoft. Probably why it gets so much praise despite it being very formulaic.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
Unfortunately I couldn't get past the first island. A very pretty game and super cool setting. Story seemed ok. But I just got bored. Admittedly I did everything on the first island so maybe I burnt myself out but yeah I just had enough and don't feel the need to go back.

If a sequel was released I'll probably play it. But I would also like a new IP.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
I'm hoping the Nvidia leak is real because it's definitely one of the Sony exclusives I'm most eager to play.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
I've bought this game twice, got about half way through both times before i dropped it for another game and then never went back. First game was Tlou2 and second was Elden Ring. The game is good but not amazing or revolutionary, not sure I'll go back to it

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

I was excited for Horizon to have this level of quality but goddamn is the climbing in that game still way worse.

Midnight

Jan 5, 2018
It is an amazing game, one of my favorites. I just think its open world is an absolute pleasure to traverse and explore. And the gameplay is a lot of fun.

I've been itching to do a New Game+ lately and also finally try out Legends.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it was just a world full of quite dull collectibles with good presentation. The story and characters were incredibly one note and dull. I'm mystified as to what people see in it as, to me, it looks to be a textbook example of everything wrong with open world games.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
It shows how assassin's creed can go back to a more steamline, bloatless game without hundred of interconnected but pointless systems.

Also, effortlessly looking amazing at any given seconds and a superb narrative finale.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It shows how assassin's creed can go back to a more steamline, bloatless game without hundred of interconnected but pointless systems.
Current AC is more streamlined than it's been in a long while. That's probably a major contributing factor to its current success is that despite being 50-100 hour games there's no equivalent to say, the defense tower minigame in Revelations or the crafting system in 3.

The story and characters were incredibly one note and dull.
You know that tweet thread in the thread that cites the game as having innovative features like telling you how long a questline is kinda exposes it's flaws in this regard. Characters in the longer questlines literally don't progress from a characterization standpoint until the very very end of the questline. And that's because, you can the quests out of order. So rock and a hard place,

"The player experiences the plot out of order if there's a significant event in say, chapter 4 when chapter 6 is accessible."

or

"Nothing of true note happens outside of the beginning and end of the questlines besides the characters involved barely progress towards the person they're looking for."

That tweet also describes multiple things that other games have done before. Like npcs that follow the player's lead in terms of movement speed. Multiple pre GoT open world games did that, and those games are probably responsible for that being a thing in GoT in the first place. Honestly my main issue with GoT is that the game shows it's full hand in terms of what the game can offer you on the very first section of the island. And then there's 30 more hours of content. That fucking bear that yeets a soldier as you approach and the far cry style detection meter pops off, those mongols that have a hostage that you need to save, that same exact group that patrols, etc. etc. they're always there. The same things happening over and over. The world of GoT is beautiful but it is incredibly static, just like Infamous Second Son's world was. As such no one has a unique story that occurred because of the elements in the sandbox simply interacting with each other like in the games, like far cry, that inspired it. In fact trying to produce those moments shows the limitations of the game world. So the people treating it as the second coming always felt like, "Bruh play open world games they'll blow your mind."

Last edited:

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
If I had to describe Tsushima in one sentence, it would be style over substance.

Visually it looks great and I love the minimalistic implementation of the HUD. The combat is also fun, especially on lethal difficulty. I also think SP did a good job with the ending.

Sadly the open world design is akin to that of other open world games, where bandit camps and other collectables form the bulk of the content. I do appreciate that they tried to flesh out the supporting cast with their own side quests, but the writing is too bland to call it a real success. This also extends to Jin, whose interactions with the people are limited to 'help, the mongols are here' and 'be careful, get to safety'. Characters exhibit very little warmth, humour, intimacy or humanity and that in turn largely ruins the game for me. It's a beautiful world filled with cardboard characters whose only purpose seemingly is to portray how cruel the Mongols are.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the combat is really good for "one of these" games. Encounters and standoffs kind of never felt dull.
It's also really freaking pretty.

Burned out on it super hard getting the platinum so I'm waiting for the itch to come back to continue the expansion.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
The single player wasn't my cup of tea but played a lot of multiplayer. That aspect of the game was so much fun

Oct 27, 2017
Ubi formula isn't bad. It just needs a good game and a fun loop. Oh and less bloat.

Ghost did it really well. Next game should add fishing.

I was excited for Horizon to have this level of quality but goddamn is the climbing in that game still way worse.

That really sucks to hear.

I hated how restrictive Horizon was in it's open world. The sequel not being much improved in this department is a shame.

Oh well.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I thought it was pretty mediocre tbh. The combat drove me to keep playing, but it was a fairly standard checklist-based open world otherwise.

I'll add that the comparisons to Breath of the Wild are grossly overstated. Outside of temples and the like, not much in the world is eye-catching in a way that actually promotes exploration. It's the opposite really; the game tries to hold your hand and point you in the right direction constantly. I eventually grew to loathe the birds for essentially spoiling when something collectable was nearby, and even started trying to avoid the foxes altogether so I could find the shrines myself. Neither was a perfect solution, but it was slightly more rewarding than just following them to the collectable.

The story didn't do a lot for me, either. I never became particularly invested in the characters, and many of the situations felt a bit too predictable and cliche to have much impact. I also had the issue where I was basically role-playing as an honorable Samurai 100% of the time outside of the occasional forced story moment (largely because the Ghost gameplay sucked), so Jin's core arc and 'transformation' into the Ghost didn't feel very natural.

The game is the definition of a 7/10 for me. It's solid and I don't regret playing it, but it's nothing special. If I get the sequel at all, it wouldn't be at launch.