jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure he is now, he knows the repercussions from a tweet like that since he's witnessed it.

Also he's never said he was more qualified and seems to think it's not his place to talk about this.

what repercussion, beyond lost business?

what do you really think could happen -- worst case, nba gets kicked out of china

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
holy shit.... and here I thought kerr's non-comment was bad.

this is just taking it to the next level.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
No surprise. It might affect his bottom line if he talked about it.
It would, so he isn't going to say anything.

The only repercussion that comes from talking about it for high profile NBA stars is losing money. Even China isn't brazen enough to try to detain anyone that high profile.

If he truly thinks that China is so awful that they WOULD even try and detain them and then subsequently doesn't want to speak up about that or any other of their myriad humans rights abuses...that's a statement in and of itself.

He can't hide behind no comment after calling Morey uneducated.
Morey isn't a high profile NBA star. LeBron is talking about the repercussions of the tweet, and I do believe the NBA will take action if people continue to speak out and lose them business.

what repercussion, beyond lost business?

what do you really think could happen -- worst case, nba gets kicked out of china
Yes, those repercussions. Lost business, potentially lost job for a coach or GM.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The best part about the "i don't know enough" excuse is that it only works for so long. Players and coaches can't dodge the question forever. Not when it's this public. They will either have to get educated and comment or reveal that they just don't care.
We'll see how much of that is the players and how much is the NBA/owners going forward I guess assuming they keep getting questions about this later in the season.

Yes, those repercussions. Lost business, potentially lost job for a coach or GM.
If the NBA were to pull out a China people much lower on the totem pole, making much less money would be the ones in danger of losing their jobs rather than the coaches and GMs.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best part about the "i don't know enough" excuse is that it only works for so long. Players and coaches can't dodge the question forever. Not when it's this public. They will either have to get educated and comment or reveal that they just don't care.

Dude, LeBron has been playing the "I don't know enough" shit for over a decade. He pulled this same nonsense in 2007.

LeBron knows plenty, he just doesn't give a fuck when it will effect his money.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh I guarantee that they will. This whole China/NBA thing not going anywhere.

Yeah, I don't see this going away. If it's true that the NFL ratings went down because people thought players were entitled for kneeling during the national anthem then I can't even imagine how much worse this will be.

Both the left and the right are crushing him and the NBA in general whereas the NFL was just the loony right.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, aka just money

so idk what your point is

no one upset at lebron is ignorant of the money at stake
My point is that's what LeBron was referring to when he made the comment. I was simply correcting the other posted by saying his comment wasn't about the actual situation in China, just the repercussions for talking about it and going against the will of China.

We'll see how much of that is the players and how much is the NBA/owners going forward I guess assuming they keep getting questions about this later in the season.

If the NBA were to pull out a China people much lower on the totem pole, making much less money would be the ones in danger of losing their jobs rather than the coaches and GMs.
But if people are going to tweet about it, which is what LeBron's comments were about, that particular person may lose their job.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
200 yuan deposited in his account

wtf dude this was going to be his year.... disappointed

Zion is the new LBJ

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm being sarcastic.

people are fucking quick to cancel decent people who have done great things just because they're not in complete lockstep with their activism.

it's 100% pathetic.

No one said Lebron deserved to be cancelled for that. He does deserved to get called out as a hypocrite or knucklehead for it though (leaning more towards knucklehead)

Color me doubtful that the Chinese government would have risked an international incident by detaining NBA players over a tweet someone stateside made.

If Erdogan would (and he tried) , Winnie the Pooh would as well.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
If Erdogan would (and he tried) , Winnie the Pooh would as well.

Those circumstances were very different because Kanter was a Turkish citizen and he has been very forceful denouncing Erodgan (entirely justified of course). The Chinese government was not going to forcefully detain a bunch of high-profile Americans and cause an international incident. They are authoritarian but unfortunately fairly competent in that they push against the boundaries of what is acceptable but know how not to cross it (as shown by how they've backed down their rhetoric against the NBA over the last week, but it's still had a chilling effect where I doubt anyone associated with the NBA would dare retweet or say anything pro-Hong Kong now).

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely disappointing from Lebron. Gotta protect that valuable WW box office for Space Jam.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
EG5TGygXUAE9ugn.jpg:large

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the most offensive part about Lebron's statement is how he tries to paint it as a difficult week for him and the team. He manages to be an asshole while playing the pity card simultaneously.

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anybody figured what Chairman James means when he says some people are emotionally and spiritually hurt by Morey's tweet?

Like who?

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the most offensive part about Lebron's statement is how he tries to paint it as a difficult week for him and the team. He manages to be an asshole while playing the pity card simultaneously.
Yup. The selfishness and lack of awareness there is really something. I'm sure it has been a difficult week for them, I wouldnt even argue that. Buttt can he maybe think of someone out there who may have possibly had a much worse week? A much worse entire lifetime??

It pisses me off he can just wave that off. He simply doesnt care.

marches

Dec 18, 2018
I'm not asking for Lebron to be a real hero and publicly supports the Uyghurs and the people of Hongkong. But I didn't expect for him to throw them under the bus. What's not to understand about the situation about genocide and police brutality? It's sad that he thinks that he had a bad week but those millions of people are being tortured, killed under the Chinese rule, whose money he seems to have kneeled to. Unless he's a coward, whose too afraid of China. Which I guess goes to show that he's a coward, unless Chinese authorities personally paid him a visit during his stay there.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
These last few weeks have been quite illuminating on how much sway China (or technically its money) actually holds on the world stage, and I'm sure it is only the beginning.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
LeBron has gone from the most hated player in the NBA to...........the most hated player in the NBA.

Oct 27, 2017
Absolute fucking coward. Staying silent is one thing (which I wouldn't mind tbh), but coming out and critising someone for expressing support of democracy is an absolute weaksauce move.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The players would've been fine, at worst they would have gotten kicked out of China. Anyone falling for that PR bs needs to take Lebron off his pedestal. He's just another greedy fuck in it for the $$$.