oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Very scary... been wearing contacts for 25+ years and thankfully no issues. I wear monthly disposables, but I dont switch them every month, mainly when they start to feel a bit uncomfortable. I never sleep with them on, and they go in fluid every night. I dont replace the containers, but I soak them in boiling water each month or so. I do shower with them on a few times a week at the gym.

Been thinking about going back to glasses as doc says I need progressive lenses now... maybe your story just adds to the case ;)

OP
OP
Cabal

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Honestly, I'm not trying to keep people from wearing contacts. Hell, I'll likely wear them again occasionally if this ever clears up. But, I certainly will have a lot more discipline around proper care and habits whilst wearing them. If you wear contacts and you are reading this, my hope is that you have/begin good habits like taking them out at night, for showers etc, because it's not just a bit of dry eye that can happen. Some real crazy stuff can happen as this week has taught me.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soft contact lenses imbibe almost everything. This is great for applying medicine to the eye (bandage contacts) and terrible when it comes to everything else. As long as you were treated within 24 hours the prognosis should be good.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for the tip OP. I try not to do it 98% of the time but will make sure it becomes 100% from now on. You're a real one.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
I'll keep this in mind though, I'm having a lot of trouble putting my contacts in the first place.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I choose to validate my stance that contact lenses are just evil in general and I should stick with glasses.

I honestly can't comprehend how people can even put contacts in/take them out. My eyes would reflexively shut way before I got close.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
What is it about wearing contacts that increases this? Afraid to Google because eyes and teeth issues I cannot handle. This is a lot less likely to happen in the shower without contacts in?

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering for those who wears contacts and swim, how do you guys have it still stay on? I once swam with my contacts on accidentally and it just fell off.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is it about wearing contacts that increases this? Afraid to Google because eyes and teeth issues I cannot handle. This is a lot less likely to happen in the shower without contacts in?
I'd assume it's because the amoeba can stay under the contacts much easier than without them. I bet that you can get it without contacts, but the likelihood is increased while you wear them.

Oct 28, 2017
Contacts and me never got along well enough to replace my trusty glasses

I wish you well OP. that sounds rough and unfortunate

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep no one will ever convince me to ditch my glasses for contacts after all the horror stories I've heard

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Really sorry to hear. Thanks for the warning.

I only know about this because it happened to the musician/artist Nick Currie, aka Momus. I wondered why he wore eyepatches and thought it was just an affectation at first. Nope. Got fucked up by amoebas in the mid-90s.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wear the dailies. Hopefully that helps prevent these infections. I have a pretty unfortunate habit of falling asleep with them on.... definitely won't let that happen again.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to lessen the OP's point -- because eye care is indeed of paramount importance, especially for contact wearers, who really shouldn't do reckless things like sleep in them (I know from personal experience and consequence) -- but this particular infection is literally a one-in-a-million diagnosis. The article even states this. It can also occur to non-contact-wearers.

Further, again stated in the article, basic daily contact lens hygiene with proper product generally prevents it / kills it.

Your eyes probably aren't going to melt from showering in your contacts as long as you clean them daily and take them out at night, stored in proper disinfectant.
Yeah, based on this, I'm not changing any behavior. Sorry to hear that OP! Hope it gets better soon.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Another item on the list of why I'll never use contacts... Glasses aren't that inconvenient to me.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the cautionary tale OP, and hope you make a full recovery.

Honestly though, I'd be more concerned about picking up an infection in the process of taking lenses out and putting them back in, especially in a public place like a gym. The better strategy might be to just avoid getting your eyes wet while taking a shower with your lenses in.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I can't get over you people wearing them while swimming. Not opening your eyes underwater in the pool is just about impossible! Sometimes you just need to make sure you're not gonna hit someone or something. If it's in the ocean, it's tough to keep the salt water from getting in if only when you're wiping off your face..

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'd assume it's because the amoeba can stay under the contacts much easier than without them. I bet that you can get it without contacts, but the likelihood is increased while you wear them.

If you don't wear contacts they usually get rinsed out automatically. Contacts trap them in between. That's why you're not supposed to sleep with contacts in and keep them clean.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
OP I'm extremely sorry you had to go through this.

Are there eye drops you can use to kill the amoebas? Like I mean drops you can use after showering with contacts that'll I guess sanitize the lens and eye?