• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I expect more from Google with it's industrial design. It is a clear step below Apple, Samsung and even phone makers like Hauwei, when I expect at this point for it to be setting the bar.

The Ironic part is that it's probably going to be a Samsung Display too, so google had 0 reason to not go with a better design other than "We didn't have time / didn't want to do it"

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Couldn't get photos of the night sky since it got cloudy tonight, but the modded 7.0 apk didn't necessary have astrophotography mode (infinity focus setting is MIA on this build), but it does have a long exposure mode via Night Sight. You can take a regular NS shot (which is faster in 7.0), but if you have your phone steady (via tripod for example), there's a long exposure setting that automatically turns on.

Took three shots of my garage inside my car on my Pixel 2. Regular shot was pitch black (not pictured), regular NS shot, and a long exposure shot via NS. Long exposure took about 45 secs-1 min to capture.

DxGJ7Bj.jpg

Regular Night Sight.

7GqidEv.jpg

Night Sight, long exposure mode.

tl;dr: Google Camera 7.0 (full version once Pixel 4 is released) has long exposure mode via Night Sight.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Got a modded apk of Google Camera 7.0 installed. (Pixel 2)

I'll try to test astrophotography mode later tonight.
got a link? XDA won't post one and I don't want to be putting malware on my phone!

You still have LG, Nokia, and Sony. I just got an LG G8 ThinQ for $250 9/10 quality on eBay. Quad DAC rules.
There is still hope! Quality DAC sounds nice, I'd love it but I'd probably go full dongle and bluetooth life to continue to have a Pixel :( these Bluetooth headphones aren't cheap though, the ones I'd be happy with at least are close to double their 3.5mm counterpart.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Pretty much everything that has leaked, sans camera, has been pretty underwhelming.

It's clear Google wants to compete, but they always half-ass it. The OnePlus 7T pro has this bested in every way spec-wise.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Pretty much everything that has leaked, sans camera, has been pretty underwhelming.

It's clear Google wants to compete, but they always half-ass it. The OnePlus 7T pro has this bested in every way spec-wise.

Does the OnePlus 7T have a rear fingerscan?

This phone losing the feature makes me think of looking elsewhere tbh, why do they have to follow apple and remove features?? baffling

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm. I'll have to consider this one since I can't get Android 10 on my S8. So dumb Samsung!

Dual exposure camera feature
OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
I'm 100% truther about all these leaks for this phone. This is all intentional marketing.

It's pretty telling that the price hasn't been leaked yet. The one piece of information that would ruin the hype instead of build more of it...

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
I'm 100% truther about all these leaks for this phone. This is all intentional marketing.

It's pretty telling that the price hasn't been leaked yet. The one piece of information that would ruin the hype instead of build more of it...

The prices have leaked, at least in the UK

FEjVbZR.jpg

Obviously I have no idea if these are legit, but I wouldn't bet against them been far off.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I am rocking an Pixel 2xl, it is still feels like the best smartphone I ever used and I think the biggest part for that is the camera in my opinion.
I do feel like it is getting a bit sluggish recently. Some apps crash, the photo album takes a while to load and stuff like that.
Battery life is still ok, I get around 3/4 of a day without charging but heavy use of Bluetooth and browsing.
I was considering getting a pixel 4xl but I think I will skip another year. I want a fingerprint sensor and I hope they will bring it back.
I would also love a tripple cam layout. Wide, Regular and zoom and I think google will have it next year.
So here is me hoping my pixel2xl will get me through till then.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Unless you are very serious about having a "pure Google experience", I can't see why anyone would go with one of these over the OnePlus 7T / 7T Pro.

Compare Google Pixel 4 XL vs OnePlus 7 vs OnePlus 7 Pro - Google Pixel 4 XL vs OnePlus 7 vs OnePlus 7 Pro Comparison by Price, Specifications, Reviews & Features | Gadgets Now

Add in the price difference, £549 for the OnePlus 7T and £699 for the One Plus 7T Pro, and for me the Pixel 4 is dead on arrival.
Longer official support maybe? Camera?

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you are very serious about having a "pure Google experience", I can't see why anyone would go with one of these over the OnePlus 7T / 7T Pro.

Compare Google Pixel 4 XL vs OnePlus 7 vs OnePlus 7 Pro - Google Pixel 4 XL vs OnePlus 7 vs OnePlus 7 Pro Comparison by Price, Specifications, Reviews & Features | Gadgets Now

Add in the price difference, £549 for the OnePlus 7T and £699 for the One Plus 7T Pro, and for me the Pixel 4 is dead on arrival.
Camera.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017

This makes me so sad to see that comparison. I am on a Pixel XL and have been waiting for the 4. I am on Google Fi so I wanted to stick with Pixel but the OnePlus 7t Pro looks like such a better value. I feel dumb getting the Pixel 4XL when you compare the specs. I am torn hah. It would be a bummer to loose the benefit of network switching on Google Fi though if I got the OnePlus 7T. I am a new parent though to the camera is also somewhat important. I hate the notch on the Pixel 3XL...maybe I just go with a Pixel 3aXL. Damn you Google

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The camera is a possibility, but is it so much better to justify the extra cost and the other spec downgrades?
Depends on the person and marketing probably. Most casual users will likely be swayed by better camera and Google brand recognition than things like higher refresh rate screens. Most people knowledgeable about the tech and who are fine with possibly worse camera performance probably agree with you.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Nexus 5 went out of support far quicker than my OnePlus 3 (which is running Android 9 and has only just gone out of support).

The camera is a possibility, but is it so much better to justify the extra cost and the other spec downgrades?
I currently have the Pixel 2XL and been rocking since release and will be getting the Pixel 4XL.

I'm running 3 year old specs and it's fine. The slight increase in specs for the 1+ to the 4XL doesn't sway me considering it isn't that big of a difference. I take a lot of pictures and pretty active on social media due to my job so pictures come first before specs and Google has been leading since the release of the original Pixel.

The camera is a huge difference.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Depends on the person and marketing probably. Most casual users will likely be swayed by better camera and Google brand recognition than things like higher refresh rate screens. Most people knowledgeable about the tech and who are fine with possibly worse camera performance probably agree with you.
There's also a third group (that includes me) of people who recognise the difference in tech specs but basically just use their phones as cameras and internet browsers, and therefore don't really care about the extra power. For me, phones have long since passed the point of zero return on investment for hardware advancement anywhere besides the screen and the camera.