Oct 29, 2017
Can a show even look that good for 11 straight minutes per episode?
That looks really good, but strikes me more as part of a trailer or pitch rather than what the show would look throughout.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Can a show even look that good for 11 straight minutes per episode?
That looks really good, but strikes me more as part of a trailer or pitch rather than what the show would look throughout.
Pilot episodes get wayyyy more attention than most shows that are in full-swing production. This would be the target, but the realities of production mean they would inherently need to cut some corners here or there.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm pretty skeptical that this is legitimate, myself. If it's real it looks really fun though. I just have a really hard time seeing this get greenlit, go into full production, and then have it dumped down the drain over one single script or an inconsistent tone. I think it's POSSIBLE that could happen, but I work in animation and I find myself pretty doubtful.

Looks like a really good fake to me, unless I'm missing more concrete evidence.

I've seen my share share of projects that get the plug pulled when production is in full-throttle mode, including several feature films and a television show that got canned. In case for the television show, 12 episodes were locked in animatic form, and three episodes were fully completed to be shown to the executive producers/financial backers before funding was taken away and we were out of work.

Even if this test footage is fake, it wouldn't surprise me that this show didn't get too far along before production was halted by the powers that be.

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So, it looks like there were two versions of the footage that appeared online around the same time. Dialogue and music is the same, but slightly different animation/FX. This one isn't as fast as the other one.

HereticGrin

Feb 16, 2018
Read the top comment, they point out that a credible source has not confirmed this has been cancelled.

OP also deleted his post on Reddit which further puts into question his cred.

EDIT:
Okay so I 'm concluding the twitter guy is the creator and he's just looking for attention/trolling people

Oct 27, 2017
Dang :(...that looked great! The animation is so zany/Looney Tune-y, it's perfect for Crash considering what inspired the classic trilogy + Crash 4.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I've talked to some people and I'm basically 100%-adjacent sure it's legitimate footage, and also that it's legitimately canned.

I was told a little bit about the senior staff beyond Bill Kopp today when I went digging -- I don't want to name anyone, especially now that the leaker has run away, because I don't know who is allowed to say what -- but that said, there was a good amount of pedigree behind this show. Some crossover with a big 2010s CN show, a streaming service's adaptation of a very difficult video game, another recent CN property that began life as a web show, and of course Bill himself is a great talent.

For further evidence here, one of the people I knew for a fact was working on the show (because Bill mentioned their partnership on a podcast where he teased the show) posted on a personal account a couple hours after this thread went live, saying they were "unexpectedly looking for work".

Other than that I don't have anything concrete past speculation. I'll update if I hear more.

My take on the whole thing is that this really blows. I was looking maybe most forward to this out of all the stuff that was going to happen for Crash soon. I was hoping this was gonna drop as part of a big 25th anniversary celebration. RIP

GoGoDezmo

Nov 8, 2019
Oh. First Crash 4 underperforms...now this getting cancelled...now the series' future probably depends on a mobile game that looks amazing but'll also probably just underperform.

I was riding high on the euphoria of a Crash Renaissance, and now the series is gonna go back into hibernation isn't it? I can't take this right now. I really I can't take this right now.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
So, it looks like there were two versions of the footage that appeared online around the same time. Dialogue and music is the same, but slightly different animation/FX. This one isn't as fast as the other one.

Love the "What have I done?" at the end lol

Shame it was cancelled.

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A guy on twitter did a side-by-side so you can compare the two versions.

I'm kind of bummed this got cancelled. There's a lot of fun energy in this that, with the right people behind it, would've made for an extremely fun show.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Oh. First Crash 4 underperforms...now this getting cancelled...now the series' future probably depends on a mobile game that looks amazing but'll also probably just underperform.

I was riding high on the euphoria of a Crash Renaissance, and now the series is gonna go back into hibernation isn't it? I can't take this right now. I really I can't take this right now.

I have not been given any indication that this cancelation had anything to do with financials. Every source I have indicates creative differences and conflict. In fact, Charles Zembillas, the original character designer of Crash, explicitly hinted that this series was only ever greenlit to go into full production (which is where the Reddit poster says it was about to enter before the sudden cancelation) *because* Crash 4 did not actually underperform internally. His words were literally "Crash 4's success". People just take that "it did 80% less units than NST" stuff out of context and it's snowballed.

Oct 27, 2017
I have not been given any indication that this cancelation had anything to do with financials. Every source I have indicates creative differences and conflict. In fact, Charles Zembillas, the original character designer of Crash, explicitly hinted that this series was only ever greenlit to go into full production (which is where the Reddit poster says it was about to enter before the sudden cancelation) *because* Crash 4 did not actually underperform internally. His words were literally "Crash 4's success". People just take that "it did 80% less units than NST" stuff out of context and it's snowballed.
The cancellation is bummer, but it's definitely reassuring as a fan to hear rumblings that Activision is likely pleased with Crash 4's commercial performance.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Did they mention WHEN the show got cancelled, by any chance? I remember in 2019 Amazon decided to close down their kids animation stuff, I wonder if this could have been part of that or if it's unrelated

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Did they mention WHEN the show got cancelled, by any chance? I remember in 2019 Amazon decided to close down their kids animation stuff, I wonder if this could have been part of that or if it's unrelated

Everything I hear is that this is a very sudden cancelation. The Reddit poster claimed it was yesterday. One of the other staffers I know was on it said today on a personal account they're "unexpectedly looking for work". So I imagine it was as the Reddit poster claims. If I get anything concrete, I'll post it :/

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Always a shame to see stuff like this fall apart. I hope we get to learn/see more about it in the future, at least.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Everything I hear is that this is a very sudden cancelation. The Reddit poster claimed it was yesterday. One of the other staffers I know was on it said today on a personal account they're "unexpectedly looking for work". So I imagine it was as the Reddit poster claims. If I get anything concrete, I'll post it :/
Oh shit, ok unrelated to that decision then... unless it was already in development back then. Wow. I wonder when it started production and if it was part of the same group of shows Costume Quest came from ):

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
ATVI will never be happy with outsourced material to film studios

From the Sony leaks a few years ago, we know that Bobby was extremely angry that Blizzard never canned the Legendary Warcraft deal when Sam Raimi's team departed from the project.

It's insane how there was so much potential with Overwatch/Skylanders/Crash but the company instead allowed irrelevancy to creep in before expanding to any other forms of media.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd enjoy it for what it is. Just a shame Cortex's voice isn't very accurate.
Considering that this feels like an animation test, I wouldn't be surprised if Bill Kopp was just doing scratch audio. It's not unheard of for an animation showrunner or storyboarder or anybody involved on the visual side of things to do something like that. It's possible that they planned to have Lex Lang reprise his role.

Oct 28, 2017
Ah damn it, I was really looking forward to hearing about the Crash cartoon and that test footage looked great. Such a shame.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
A guy on twitter did a side-by-side so you can compare the two versions.

I'm kind of bummed this got cancelled. There's a lot of fun energy in this that, with the right people behind it, would've made for an extremely fun show.

I think the top clip is the bottom one's prototype. Cortex's design is more filled out, the storyboarding is stronger and there are more shadows/compositing effects.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Starting to think this was made for the Crash Bandicoot 4 launch, but missed deadlines so was scrapped. Seen this scenario so many times that I wouldn't doubt it.

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to think this was made for the Crash Bandicoot 4 launch, but missed deadlines so was scrapped. Seen this scenario so many times that I wouldn't doubt it.
Would make more sense to me than one writer posting extremely identifiable information about themselves while burning their bridges over one show that didn't get picked up

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

It's a separate project. Kopp has spoken about it and given hints towards it. He posted on Instagram about how he was sitting down to write for the show weeks after Crash 4 had already been out.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Would make more sense to me than one writer posting extremely identifiable information about themselves while burning their bridges over one show that didn't get picked up

It's a separate project. Kopp has spoken about it and given hints towards it. He posted on Instagram about how he was sitting down to write for the show weeks after Crash 4 had already been out.

Ah righto, I guess I was wrong then. Thanks for the clarification anyway.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I love the idea that the script for a Crash Bandicoot cartoon, of all things, could be so contentious that the project got canned.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Considering that this feels like an animation test, I wouldn't be surprised if Bill Kopp was just doing scratch audio. It's not unheard of for an animation showrunner or storyboarder or anybody involved on the visual side of things to do something like that. It's possible that they planned to have Lex Lang reprise his role.

Yeah you are probably right. I'd REALLY like to see a full pilot.