• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Link:
Late last night, Peel Regional Police used Canada's Emergency Alert system to issue an Ontario-wide Amber Alert to secure assistance finding 11-year-old Riya Rajkumar after she was abducted by her father. Many received the text alert just after 11:00pm EST. Shortly afterwards, Ria was found deceased. Several people took to social media to voice their frustration that the emergency alert woke them up.

Following the complaints, the police service tweeted: "Our communications bureau is receiving numerous calls to 9-1-1, complaining about the late hour of the Amber Alert. As a direct result of someone receiving the alert, we were able to locate the suspect & his vehicle. The system works. Thank you to all those that called with tips."
In case you're wondering why the world is in such poor shape. Lock if old.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...You know that second tweet pisses me off, cause if more people DID do that, the world would be:
1) Way more badass
2) Better for everyone

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
slipknot was right, people are shit
tenor.gif

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is an amber alert? Is it like a message that comes up or does the phone keep ringing till you acknowledge it?

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I understand groaning if it happens late at night, and getting frustrated, but you don't have to tweet your first reaction.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the assholes complaining.

I'm glad they were at least able to find the fucker and the body.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Do these people not know you can disable them?

You can't, at least not entirely.

Sometimes setting your phone to silent will stop the audio portion, but not the alert itself.

Even then, the alerts are capable of overriding phone settings.

They are used for a number of purposes (natural disaster, potential terrorist alerts, etc.) and they are specifically unable to be opt'd out due to the nature of the alert. You can specify them as specific as a city block, to country wide. The police here choose Ontario wide, which might have been a "bit" overkill, but it's still a correct use of the system.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I complain to myself every time an extreme weather alert, amber alert, or presidential emergency alert test comes to my phone and scares the bajeezus out of me. But, I still understand it's an important mechanism and an important way to make children safe. It should scare the shit out of you, because child abduction is a scary fucking thing and Amber Alerts freakin' work. Any time I get an amber alert on my phone when I'm out in public, suddenly I turn into the Pink Panther scoping out every car driving by and looking at license plates.

First tweeter in the OP is a major dick. "HER FATHER KIDNAPPED HER WHATS THE PROBLEM???" I just want to shake the shit out of those people.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What is an amber alert? Is it like a message that comes up or does the phone keep ringing till you acknowledge it?

It's a message from the police in extreme situations involving kids, like emergency broadcast system on TV,
that comes up on your phone that will override whatever you're doing. I didn't actually hear mine though, I don't think it overrides if the phone is on silent?

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The girl was determined to be missing at about 6:30 PM, but the amber alert wasn't sent until after 11:00 PM. It was sent to people more than 500 km away.

And then after midnight when they located her (deceased, unfortunately), they sent another one to everyone, calling off the amber alert. There's no way that kind of message is the same priority, but since the system has no ability to have priority levels, it blares at the same insane volume that the initial alert does.

The morons calling 911 about it are insane, but this system has legit problems. She was found ~425 KM from where I am and I received both the alert and the update calling off the alert.

Oct 25, 2017
I undertand the frustration. I turned off emergency alerts on my phone after a few late night Amber alerts many miles from where I was sleeping.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I was in bed, but the alert was a loacation 5 minutes of me basically. Who is to say I wasn't there instead?

It isn't like you can't just roll over and go back to sleep after you read it.

And it's almost always someone close to the child. That's how this shit happens.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a message from the police in extreme situations involving kids, like emergency broadcast system on TV,
that comes up on your phone that will override whatever you're doing. I didn't actually hear mine though, I don't think it overrides if the phone is on silent?

Not sure, but it overrided mine and it was on silent.

The girl was determined to be missing at about 6:30 PM, but the amber alert wasn't sent until after 11:00 PM. It was sent to people more than 500 km away.

And then after midnight when they located her (deceased, unfortunately), they sent another one to everyone, calling off the amber alert. There's no way that kind of message is the same priority, but since the system has no ability to have priority levels, it blares at the same insane volume that the initial alert does.

The morons calling 911 about it are insane, but this system has legit problems. She was found ~425 KM from where I am and I received both the alert and the update calling off the alert.
This is worth pointing out. The alert after midnight that everyone is mad about was calling off the previous alert.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
God these selfish fucking idiots. It's not like these things are on a hair trigger and fired out at will, dozen a day. No, these are critical events that are carefully thought out and only done when lives are on the line. Getting the alert means that everything else has failed and they are turning to the public to prevent death and injury.

Do these people not know you can disable them?
They're all sent out as Presidential Alerts up here. Also they don't quite have the locales down yet (see: People in Alberta getting the report for the event that happened in Toronto).

If you are on silent, it'll just override the vibration and do that at max.

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You can't. There's only one level of alert in Canada, and it can't be disabled.

It is kind of asinine for Amber Alerts sent out after bedtime, when the vast majority of people are going to be sleeping and not on the lookout for the kid.

Sunny

Oct 25, 2017

My phone was on silent so for me it just buzzed a few times and I Looked out the window for a bit then went back to sleep.
Yea the system isn't perfect. But I'd rather have this than not.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
it's good people are being dragged

You can't. There's only one level of alert in Canada, and it can't be disabled.

It is kind of asinine for Amber Alerts sent out after bedtime, when the vast majority of people are going to be sleeping and not on the lookout for the kid.

the suspect was found because of the amber alert. about 140~km away from where the alert originated.

you do realize that the dude could have been 425km away from the starting point in the abduction time by just driving at the speed limit, yes?

the entire point of the amber alert is a child is in immediate danger and the police need as many eyeballs wherever possible. guy wasn't even in the greater toronto area when someone who saw the amber alert spotted him. imagine if that person instead took the stance of "oh it's in toronto why am i getting this alert"

Last edited:

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ah someone who lives in Toronto and received the alert...it didn't even make noise. Just made my phone vibrate and turned the screen on. Boo fucking hoo, I can't believe people would actually complain about this.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018

Wow why the 5 hour delay

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Got the alert but not the alarm. So slept through it. I woke up this morning and read the news online about her death before knowing about the alert. So seeing the alert it on my phone later, that it was canceled, just made me tear up pretty bad.

Sad day here in the GTA. And fuck those idiots for complaining.

And between this and that idiot balcony chair-tosser, I've had it with these insipid morons in this town. Christ, people really suck here now.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I'm sure I'd be pissed if I was woken up by it but after a min I'd understand. It helps as the police just said, I'd rather lose a lil bit of sleep than allow a kid to be taken.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Since I turn my phone off at night I never get the late night alerts where I live. But still those people complaining are assholes.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

[B]Peel Regional Police[/B]‏ @[B]PeelPoliceMedia[/B]
Our communications bureau is receiving numerous calls to 9-1-1, complaining about the late hour of the Amber Alert. As a direct result of someone receiving the alert, we were able to locate the suspect & his vehicle. The system works. Thank you to all those that called with tips.

These people should be fined. You do not call 9-1-1 to complain about a damn alert. If you have to, call the fucking non-emergency number; but not this selfish shit.

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was annoyed by the second one when it was called off because I thought it meant she was safe and so no real point in it.

Then I heard the news :(

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
That's the first time I've ever gotten one of these. I live near the nuclear plant. When mine and my wife's phone started blaring as we were about to head to bed I thought I was about to die. I thought for sure it was related to the nuclear plant.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like the type of thing where a tiny amount of people complain and it's magnified