• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Changes to LastPass Free - Blog
We're making changes to how Free users access LastPass across device types. LastPass offers access across two device types – computers (including all browsers running on desktops and laptops) or mobile devices (including mobile phones, smart watches, and tablets). Starting March 16th, 2021, LastPass Free will only include access on unlimited devices of one type.

To further clarify what we mean by active device type, we've included two examples below:
  • Sarah is a Free user with Computers as her active device type. She can use LastPass on her laptop, desktop and her dad's laptop (anyone's computer!), but she can't use LastPass on her phone, tablet, or smart watch unless she upgrades to LastPass Premium, which has unlimited device type access.
  • Steve is a Free user with Mobile Devices as his active device type. He can use LastPass on his iPhone, Android work phone, tablet, and smart watch, but he can't use LastPass on his desktop or laptop unless he upgrades to LastPass Premium, which has unlimited device type access.
As a Free user, your first login on or after March 16th will set your active device type. You'll have three opportunities to switch your active device type to explore what's right for you. Please note, that all of your devices sync automatically, so you'll never lose access to anything stored in your vault or be locked out of your account, regardless of whether you use computer or mobile devices to access LastPass.

Well, seems like LastPass Free will be pretty much useless to me in a month.

Is it a big hassle to export all your stuff to another password manager?

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I migrated to BitWarden a couple years ago and it was pretty simple. Has been great.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn this sucks, but I understand why they have to do this. What's a good alternative to Lastpass?

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're using a password manager, you'll obviously want to use it on PC and mobile. They can fuck right off with their annual subscription.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I have a family 1Password sub I share with my family. Great for sharing logins to streaming services securely ;)

I have no issues with paying for stuff like this. Software requires time and money to maintain. This is 24 bucks a year for your internet security.

Luckily there are free options.

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
Maybe I'm a weirdo for saying this (and I'm in here as a 1Password user)...

...I pay for software I use a lot? Especially the software which holds my secure data? Because I want it to continue to be updated and have its security maintained without them needing to do something like sell user data to keep the lights on?

jizzywinks

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Seems completely fair to me - a password manager is something I'm very happy to pay for. I'm on 1password but Lastpass is super cheap.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
Try Bitwarden. It's free and it's fantastic.

I used to have a 1Password family sub, but Bitwarden does everything I need.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

...I pay for software I use a lot? Especially the software which holds my secure data? Because I want it to continue to be updated and have its security maintained without them needing to do something like sell user data to keep the lights on?
Same. Do people think software developers work for free?

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Why, this doesn't make any sense at all - they're killing their own company because a lot of people are going to migrate elsewhere now. Rather than forcing people off of the free solution, how about they make the premium one more beneficial, making the free service worse doesn't help at all, make the premium better.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
This is what killed Evernote
Evernote did a stupid 3 tiered modeled that was mega confusing. The product also got long in the tooth. They tried doing everything with it leading to feature bloat.

The recent update is pretty decent, though.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Oh I agree. I'm just sad the free ride is over. I'll pay.

dkeane

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense and it's not that much money.
I use 1Password Family and it's worth the money.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it like this a few years back and then they made all access across multiple devices free? so they are regressing now.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018

You're not weird. This is cheap as chips. I pay for 1Password and previously paid for LastPass. They're worth it for me.

there's always KeePass if the price is too much.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I'll pay for it just because I'm lazy and don't want to move my shit elsewhere.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's like 3 bucks a month. Restricting the free tier does suck, but something like a password manager is easily worth the low cost per month.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I've been using LastPass for almost 10 years now and seldom touch the mobile app, so if I can still access my web vault via a mobile browser for the once-in-a-blue-moon situations where I need to log in to a site on my phone, I'll stick with it.

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I just use Keepass. I keep the database on my Google Drive storage, and I can access it from both my PC and my phone and it's always in sync across all devices.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Sucks, but as people mentioned something has to pay for their backend resources. Also the family plan seems like a good deal.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I might just pay for premium because I'm too lazy to switch to something else. I'm not happy about it though

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I'll upgrade. Altought it not being free is also making me wonder if I use 1password instead...

Or maybe Apples stuff is enough? Hmm, decisions decisions

edit: well, Apple has the chrome extension now and apparently I can even set secure notes. I'll probably use that.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell man. I finally decided to transition into this last month and created the perfect master password that I do not want to change...

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
LastPass's integration on mobile has been... buggy at best in my experience. I wonder if they can detect mobile browser use vs desktop browser use.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I have been fairly happy with 1Password for the last year+. Cheap and reliable so far..

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
With Apple's new Chrome extension I might just end up moving everything to that.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't mind paying $12 per year when I first started using LastPass, that seemed reasonable. Then LogMeIn took over and just tripled the price without adding anything substantial to the premium subscription, so I cancelled. They're essentially reverting back to the prior "device" system, but at triple the price. Nope. Time to look elsewhere.

Wasn't it like this a few years back and then they made all access across multiple devices free? so they are regressing now.
Yes. Even when multiple devices weren't free, Premium was $12 per year. Now it's $36.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Well It used to cost money to use the mobile app before the company got bought out a few years ago, sucks though that it appears they jacked up the price to $36 annually for what used to be $12.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Absolutely, there are a lot of good free options out there. It's just a very low cost if you don't want to bother migrating.
For me paying for it is not a problem, i just hate recurring payments. 1Pass did the same thing, it was pay once and use forever then they switched to monthly subscription model.
I might just pay for premium because I'm too lazy to switch to something else. I'm not happy about it though
Migration is very easy for a lot of these apps, they allow you to export in formats that other password managers support.