• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Character Did You Like More?

• Ellie

Votes: 931 42.6%
  • Abby

Votes: 662 30.3%
  • Both Equally

Votes: 350 16.0%
  • Indifferent About Either

Votes: 240 11.0%

• Total voters

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Abbys father worked and died to get the cure of the vaccine. Abby now is one of 4 people alive tharlt knows ellie is immune and where she is, has extensive military experience and has now a group of 200 people, maybe more, that will most likely look at her for direction.

Abby is coming for ellie for sure.
Then why let her go at the theatre?
Edit: actually nvm, she had no idea fireflies were alive at that point.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Abbys father worked and died to get the cure of the vaccine. Abby now is one of 4 people alive tharlt knows ellie is immune and where she is, has extensive military experience and has now a group of 200 people, maybe more, that will most likely look at her for direction.

But Jerry was the only capable of doing the surgery afaik. They need another doc or another method for the cure.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

I just don't see it.

They have both gone through absolute hell and don't see the point in revenge anymore.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
It wouldn't be about revenge anymore, but Ellie's immunity and the vaccine. I don't think the Fireflies have another surgeon like Jerry, though.
She has lost everything except lev in her journey for revenge. To continue and try and go after the woman who literally saved her life whenever she had the chance to kill her would be absolutely pointless. She would end up losing lev. She lost her father (who deserved it) already.

She is done

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
But Jerry was the only capable of doing the surgery afaik. They need another doc or another method for the cure.

Right, I think this would be a big part of a third game maybe, Abby and the fireflies getting things together to be able to harvest the cure from Ellie. The world after more years of the infected becoming more dangerous as the infected age and go for the higer levels, etc, so there would be a renewed focus in the cure, either finding or training people to develop a vaccine. I mean, they do ave medical books that survived somewhere on how to do all this stuff, right?

It wouldn't be about revenge anymore, but Ellie's immunity and the vaccine. I don't think the Fireflies have another surgeon like Jerry, though.
This. They need to make it about its either this or the world is lost. Revenge is not the reason anymore.

She has lost everything except lev in her journey for revenge. To continue and try and go after the woman who literally saved her life whenever she had the chance to kill her would be absolutely pointless. She would end up losing lev. She lost her father (who deserved it) already.

She is done
Why did Abby's father deserved it?

The one thing the fireflies did wrong in my opinion was to not wake Ellie up and explain what was going to happen, even if it was just for show and they would never let her go even if she refused. She already said it many times, she wanted this, she was ready to sacrifice herself for the cure.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Right, I think this would be a big part of a third game maybe, Abby and the fireflies getting things together to be able to harvest the cure from Ellie. The world after more years of the infected becoming more dangerous as the infected age and go for the higer levels, etc, so there would be a renewed focus in the cure, either finding or training people to develop a vaccine. I mean, they do ave medical books that survived somewhere on how to do all this stuff, right?

This. They need to make it about its either this or the world is lost. Revenge is not the reason anymore.

Why did Abby's father deserved it?

The one thing the fireflies did wrong in my opinion was to not wake Ellie up and explain what was going to happen, even if it was just for show and they would never let her go even if she refused. She already said it many times, she wanted this, she was ready to sacrifice herself for the cure.
He deserved it.

He got exactly what he deserved.

it's that simple

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, why tho? Why did he deserve it?

You can make it not so simple

because

when you experiment on a child and you know the kid will likely die and you don't tell the child or the protector (Joel)......you deserve to be killed.

when Joel finds out it will probably kill her and they hid this information from them because DUH it's enough to change her mind .....he went nuclear.

and any loving parent would do the same for their child

Abbys dad had it coming. He went down exactly how someone in that situation should.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Abby! Ellie is understandably so fucked up in this game and keeps making wild decisions.

Abby is a masterclass in writing. ND went into this game with two beloved protagonists from one of the greatest games of all time and turned everything on its head, making me empathize with the 'villain' and torturer of one of them. It's crazy what they pulled off. Abby is right up my alley as someone I'd befriend when I was in her peer group. Her dialogue is also great, I love her wit. Seeing how her and WLF carry themselves got me pumping iron for the first time seriously since I beat the game. I love that ND had that gym at the stadium, changed a young egg's life.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
It would be equal if Ellie had realized what a gift Abby gave her by not slitting Dina's throat.

I hope if ND make a sequel, that Dina and her child refuse to have anything to do with her after she abandoned them.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
Counting the experience of both games, obviously Ellie. But in TLOU2 by itself, I think that Ellie is a more dark and miserable character and I think I would pick Abby. But that's one of the great things about this game, each one has her big ups and downs.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a tough call. We've kind of grown up with Ellie, and seen both her at her best, and at her worst. And while the course of her journey is understandable, it's rough to watch and have her back through and through.

Meanwhile, we spend less time with Abby. She's self-admittedly a rather terrible person, and we see her make morally questionable at best choices. However, again her journey is another understandable one.

However, of the two, we saw Abby come back and try to do better by others. We saw Ellie pull back at the very end, but we haven't seen her demonstrate anything beyond that. Aside from realizing/confronting what Joel would have wanted from her in that moment, we don't know anything beyond that she's feeling the loss of her family and her ability to play a guitar. And in some ways I feel like that's where a Part 3 comes in. What it means to live and give to the world, even if it's not the way that Ellie had imagined when she set off with Joel and Tess all those years ago.

So I'll go with both, even if time gives Ellie an edge.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Ellie due to her having a better story and character building arc over 2 games. Abby's backstory setup felt weak and unsatisfying given where she does end up later in her life, which is definitely more interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I wouldn't want a drink or being on a party or even in the same sports team with either of them.

Abby has a beautiful redeeming arc while Ellie just gets worse basically non-stop.
But even though the timeline of events has me like Abby more than Ellie, I just can't forget that her revenge early in the game is just so horrible. What kind of person has 5 years in a completely new life and community to process a traumatic experience and still can't see that many, many fathers, who don't deserve a slow-torture death, would kill for their daughters. And she even stays on course after that guy saved her life and offered shelter for her whole troop, total strangers. Also, her grunt-talk with Manny, that probably was meant to humanize her, felt really shitty "macho" to me.
So, yea, my vote goes to Ellie. It's interesting that I do care for both to some degree while also seeing that they're just terrible persons.

For the sequel I would hope that Ellie becomes a cult leader due to her immunity and is both horrible but also not entirely wrong... and you get to kill her, playing a newly introduced character.
[I just wrote Apocalypse Now, didn't I?]

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Abby because her revenge was more righteous IMO due to it not just being for her
father, but also humanity. Though maybe that's me talking because I understood but nevertheless despised Joel for what he did in the ending of the first game.

Plus the ending specifically soured me on Ellie a lot when she
threatened Lev the same way that Abby initially threatened Dina, but backed off of because of Lev.

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
Voted Ellie, then remembered I thought she was an idiot by the end of the game.

But I'd still rather a continuation of her story vs Abby's. So I guess I like her more.