• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
You guys really need to stop putting so much value in what some YouTube creator has to say.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah because it certainly isnt a hot topic at the moment. It was totally out of nowhere.
You're right, you really get the views - on your ad-free videos - from the punters on videos about industry malpractice.

In fact, I reckon that's probably the most popular type of YouTube gaming content.

Really bang on the meme right there.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
The most ironic thing of all is that its Naughty Dog of all people who are getting hit hard from even the "woke" audience. Like, here's a studio that spent an insane amount of time and money to make a game about empathy that includes one of if not the most diverse cast of characters in video game history, and for some reason this is the team of people you want to crucify because their game is "too violent"? It's absurd to me.
The same group wants to both praise them and hate them. It's easier to get more people behind you with the latter so that's what they went with.

Sep 14, 2018
I just want to know what the official ERA stance is. I thought we were supposed to be better on here, but the last however many months have shown that's not the case. Are we cool with harassment? Because what's been happening on here recently is just that.
If you have to ask sounds like the answer is yes. I'm starting to be really uncomfortable being here.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This was deservedly locked but you also are completely misrepresenting what she said. You are free to disagree with it, but she was not saying others have it worse so hate and bigotry is ok. She was saying he was talking about harassment as if it was a novel concept to someone who is extremely well aware of what harassment is.

I've spent enough time on this stuff today as is, so here's my posts from the other thread happening today.

Feel free to disagree with her but at least put some time into making sure you even know what she said or who she and Maddy are.

I feel for them and I'm sure it's not been easy for either of them throughout the years. That being said, I don't know how to read this tweet without it seeming incredibly dismissive at druckmann for not rolling/being okay with a very bad joke that was about killing him.

Last edited:

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
We have a lot of the toxic haters on these forums, look at the thread on ND contacting one reviewer about a review, 1000+ posts where every page is filled with hateful crap aimed at ND/Druckmann/Sony hidden behind non-genuine grievances about this conduct.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Thread ran it's course I guess.

It's kind of annoying that the harassment towards devs has not got as much footfall in threads as everything else
Yeah, I think that's what really sticking out from discussions here, just them not even trying to calm it down. Like the thread about if currentND could make a platformer nowadays, was a few comments basically saying "no because Druckmann", even people going as far as saying fuck Druckmann because of it, despite him being a designer back when ND moved on from platformers. Yet they do such a good job stamping out shit like "lazy devs".

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're right, you really get the views - on your ad-free videos - from the punters on videos about industry malpractice.

In fact, I reckon that's probably the most popular type of YouTube gaming content.

Really bang on the meme right there.

He makes topical videos, thats his schtick, nothing wrong with it. But you willfully denying it is being laughably obtuse or disingenuous.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think that's what really sticking out from discussions here, just them not even trying to calm it down. Like the thread about if currentND could make a platformer nowadays, was a few comments basically saying "no because Druckmann", even people going as far as saying fuck Druckmann because of it, despite him being a designer back when ND moved on from platformers. Yet they do such a good job stamping out shit like "lazy devs".

The Insomniac thread from this morning about the colluding from 10 years ago became about Druckmann when he was just a writer for Uncharted 2.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Is it possible to get a spoiler free explanation of why all this hate towards the game? I thought it would just be gamergaters angry at having LGTBQ characters in their game but from what I read seems like there's more than that?

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
This was deservedly locked but you also are completely misrepresenting what she said. You are free to disagree with it, but she was not saying others have it worse so hate and bigotry is ok. She was saying he was talking about harassment as if it was a novel concept to someone who is extremely well aware of what harassment is.

I've spent enough time on this stuff today as is, so here's my posts from the other thread happening today.

Feel free to disagree with her but at least put some time into making sure you even know what she said or who she and Maddy are.
Thank you for this post.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Is it possible to get a spoiler free explanation of why all this hate towards the game? I thought it would just be gamergaters angry at having LGTBQ characters in their game but from what I read seems like there's more than that?

It's difficult without spoilers. Something happens to a character that made non alt-right people freak the fuck out and send massive amounts of hate because they're used to playing games with shitty stories that pander to the lowest common denominator and don't take any risks whatsoever.

Oct 25, 2017

It's a good amount to do with what you said, but saying anything else on the other aspects would spoil the game.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just queer people. It's the importance placed on women and other minorities compared to straight white males

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Looking at all the vitriol in the other thread wouldn't surprise me if some of the people who have been harassing Naughty Dog employees on Twitter actively post on this very forum at this point.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
The most ironic thing of all is that its Naughty Dog of all people who are getting hit hard from even the "woke" audience. Like, here's a studio that spent an insane amount of time and money to make a game about empathy that includes one of if not the most diverse cast of characters in video game history, and for some reason this is the team of people you want to crucify because their game is "too violent"? It's absurd to me.
The problem is that people on the right will attack you for including LGBTQ themes and diversity, but people on the left will also attack if you get it wrong.

Obviously the alt-right attacks are a completely different category because they are more violent and disingenuous, but even when people on the left have legitimate problems with representation or execution of themes, the default tactic is "wowwww this is trash fuck you!!!"

Like, I dunno, why does everyone have to be so heated? ND made a good-faith effort to center queer and diverse characters and it might not be perfect, but I've seen so many people who are calling for more diversity jump down ND's throat because they didn't do it just right and they're a big successful corporation.

Oct 29, 2017
He makes topical videos, thats his schtick, nothing wrong with it. But you willfully denying it is being laughably obtuse or disingenuous.
I mean, I'm not really being obtuse or disingenuous. You don't need to be rude.

I don't think Jim did that video because he was just after clicks and drama, it was very, very apparent to anyone who watched the video that this is a subject he takes very seriously and holds very dear to himself. That's the video we're talking about. Not just some notion of Sterling as a person.That's the comment of mine you chose to reply to, a comment about a video he just made and not some nebulous idea of Mr. Negative.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Some people are angry because of where they taken the stories of some of the characters from the previous game

Some dislike the structure or just the story period for perfectly valid reasons

Some people think the diversity in the game is just tokenism/woke points and does a disservice to its minority characters

Add the controversy about ND's crunch culture and the already controversial Neil Druckmann saying dumb shit on Twitter + years and years of narrative about him being a control freak who's personally in charge of the crunch and forces his staff to watch snuff films and got Amy Hennig and Bruce Straley fired from ND and it's like a perfect storm where everyone has an axe to grind with the game

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Not everyone is happy about how their group is being represented by the game: https://www.pastemagazine.com/games...i/the-last-of-us-part-ii-cisgender-voyeurism/

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020
When it comes to the toxic response from alt right morons, it's a mix of the game having LGTBQ representation, a muscular female character and a controversial early plot point that had been known since the leaks.

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing harassment & death threats; prior severe ban for victim blaming around sexual assault.
We have a lot of the toxic haters on these forums, look at the thread on ND contacting one reviewer about a review, 1000+ posts where every page is filled with hateful crap aimed at ND/Druckmann/Sony hidden behind non-genuine grievances about this conduct.

Sony and Naughty Dog are for profit corporations that can wake up in the morning without having to to worry about police officers murdering them due to the color of their skin. Go clutch your pearls for something that fucking matters.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Having seen and played a good part of the first part of TLOU, it is difficult to cast aside all emotional investment and I'd understand the rage of the players of the first game with what happens to Joel and Ellie in the sequel. Similarly to how some other players were enraged with Death Stranding losing console exclusivity. Characters felt so real, especially when combined with drama, violence, occasional humour and interactivity.

ND and games of this size and caliber often walk on dangerous ground since the creators know fully well what kind of people they target with their game

Being invested in the characters is normal. Sending hate messages because of story beats is absolutely ridiculous, and if this was supposed to be expected behavior, maybe we need to fucking change things by having more stories that subvert expectations.
I'd thought I'd seen everything after being a part of a pretty intense TV fandom for 10 years, turns out your regular gamer is so much worse.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017

It's coming from all angles. You have the bigot crew and some gamergate like losers in the fold who attached themselves to false narratives about SJW cuck umad garbo, you have weirdos who are obsessed with their father figure from the first game not fucking clickers to death with his 10inch dick, strong female characters and then - the worst possible sin - being wildly successful anyways.

It's the same weird brain function you see in dumbass Trumpers all over the country when presented with clear evidence that they are being bent sideways over his policies. They have attached ALL MEANING in their little sad pathetic lives to hating a thing and being righteous and heard and correct in that hate. Any calm conversation or explanation gets shouted down cause if they admit they are all being fuckin children who can't read/watch/hear a story and separate themselves from said characters then half their existing world view immediately crumbles to racist, sexist, and most importantly WRONG ways of seeing the world.
Can't possibly be wrong. That would be just the worst thing ever. So they dig in their heels and start shouting about the jews or muscles or whatever.

It's not just a single thing, no matter how bad they might want to make it. The mental gymnastics you need to do to attempt and see things through these peoples eyes would break most backs.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Looking at all the vitriol in the other thread wouldn't surprise me if some of the people who have been harassing Naughty Dog employees on Twitter actively post on this very forum on at this point.
Oh I thought this about a month before the game released. It is just constantly ramping up more and more. While I think ND deserves to be dragged for some real core issues going on. The amount of vitriol that a ton of members on this site get away with has pretty much reached the point where I seriously hate trying to read any topic remotely related to ND.

Oct 29, 2017
It's coming from all angles. You have the bigot crew and some gamergate like losers in the fold who attached themselves to false narratives about SJW cuck umad garbo, you have weirdos who are obsessed with their father figure from the first game not fucking clickers to death with his 10inch dick, strong female characters and then - the worst possible sin - being wildly successful anyways.

It's the same weird brain function you see in dumbass Trumpers all over the country when presented with clear evidence that they are being bent sideways over his policies. They have attached ALL MEANING in their little sad pathetic lives to hating a thing and being righteous and heard and correct in that hate. Any calm conversation or explanation gets shouted down cause if they admit they are all being fuckin children who can't read/watch/hear a story and separate themselves from said characters then half their existing world view immediately crumbles to racist, sexist, and most importantly WRONG ways of seeing the world.
Can't possibly be wrong. That would be just the worst thing ever. So they dig in their heels and start shouting about the jews or muscles or whatever.

It's not just a single thing, no matter how bad they might want to make it. The mental gymnastics you need to do to attempt and see things through these peoples eyes would break most backs.
Shit, was writing a reply to that post but yeah, it's this.

People have legitimate criticisms and issues with the game itself but they're not the ones spewing hate, abuse and vitriol all over the internet.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Sony and Naughty Dog are for profit corporations that can wake up in the morning without having to to worry about police officers murdering them due to the color of their skin. Go clutch your pearls for something that fucking matters.
This is some real oppression Olympics nonsense. You should feel bad about posting such insipid garbage.

People can care about more than one thing. It's pretty easy, actually.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
It's absolutely disgusting. I don't care how much you don't like something in a game, there is never a reason to threaten the devs or send constant hate their way. Civil discussions with respect towards one another are fine, but so many people aren't even trying that. I hate how people are sometimes.

Era isn't innocent in this either, Druckmann and ND have been getting some undue levels of hate from some posters

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grats. This is probably the dumbest shit I've read all day

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Shit, was writing a reply to that post but yeah, it's this.

People have legitimate criticisms and issues with the game itself but they're not the ones spewing hate, abuse and vitriol all over the internet.

I have legit critics of the pacing (which i've now decided is potentially done with purpose so you feel the same way Abby and Ellie both feel/look by the end of the game. Gotta play it again with this in mind) but i'm hesitant to say shit as it's just 100% worth it to be completely opposed to all these fuckin weirdos online in every way possible.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, thanks for ask the responses. I decided to wait to play the game on PS5 but now I'm super curious about all this fuzz tbh

Trust me it's a bunch of nothing. The game is good and it's as good or better than anything Naughty Dog has done.
It's an evolution of their style of games.

So if you liked or disliked those, it's more of the same but improved.

Oct 31, 2017
The internet and social media were a mistake. You have to be really sick in the head to harass and threaten people over fictional characters in a video game. I just can't wrap my head around it, none of this madness and hate is justified. I've read many books and watched many movies and tv shows that have rubbed me off the wrong way when it comes to story, I just chuckled about them and moved on. No fictional work is worth losing your shit over.

I remember watching the final season of GoT and laughing hard at how hilariously bad the finale was. I watched it, and didn't talk about it much again except to family members and friends. You have to be a really sad and depraved human being to attach so much importance to fictional characters to the point that you are willing to verbally abuse and physically threaten real human beings over them. The gaming community and geek community in general really need to do some serious self-evaluation. I know a lot of this is political but politics alone doesn't explain the general toxicity and hate in the gaming community.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Oh I thought this about a month before the game released. It is just constantly ramping up more and more. While I think ND deserves to be dragged for some real core issues going on. The amount of vitriol that a ton of members on this site get away with has pretty much reached the point where I seriously hate trying to read any topic remotely related to ND.
Yeah. The only reason I'm bothering to post in this thread is due to it talking about the harassment that ND has been receiving, so hopefully the toxicity towards the game won't be as bad.

However that said I see people have now entered this thread calling innocent employees a "for profit corporation" as if it's their fault they receive hate based on where they work. Totally proving my suspicions it seems.