• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Quasaromega

Oct 29, 2017
This thread is for all of us who have not been fortunate enough to land pre-orders for our wonderful PS5 or XSX/S machines. I've made this thread to have discussion separate from all the lucky punks who are just waiting on shipping, and to try to find some tips as to what might be available for us.

Now, for PS5, I hear some will be available through Target and Walmart for in store pickup separate from the already claimed pre-orders. Walmart has declared times when they will release some stock, throughout the day on the 12th. My Walmart app shows "Limited supplies available online only starting at 12PM ET on 11/12/2020" for the disk edition PS5. There's a tweet out there about there being more times throughout that day when more will become available from Walmart, too.

This might prove a useful resource for which Targets to target:
https://popfindr.com/inventory/target

For XSX/S, some consoles have been spotted just on the shelf here and there, so keep your eyes peeled!

It's probably a good idea to start an account, and get your CC info into the system for whichever retailers you're planning on trying, too - The faster you can checkout, the more likely you are to get a system.

At Gamestop, the Black Friday ad also noted a limited supply of next-gen consoles on the 27th in-store.

660-hero-lg.1604943512.fit_limit.size_800x450.png

I suspect other retailers may do this, but nothing official yet.

Share any news, info, tips, or despair here!

Last edited:

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is exactly what I needed. Going to take all the chances to get a ps5 starting tomorrow night.

Oct 31, 2017
Is anyone trying to do trade-ins through Gamestop? The main reason I'm in limbo and don't have a preorder lined up is because I was wanting to trade my old consoles in to GS for a relatively headache free cheaper way to hop in with the new systems.

If I sit on Gamestop.com tomorrow night and get lucky to snag a preorder, will I have to pay in full up front? If I get lucky and do pay in full up front, can I still get some of that back/refunded via a trade done in a store?

It's kind of an awkward situation, especially since I'd both love to have the new consoles while at the same time wanting to avoid MSRP and up WHILE ALSO capitalizing on a trade-in situation while they are at their best value...

OP
OP
Quasaromega

Quasaromega

Oct 29, 2017
It's launch day eve for the PS5! One other tip for those using the Target app: If you click "Change Store" when you have the PS5 pulled up, it looks like it may tell you which stores in your area have any. Might be useful!

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
Is it generally recommended to try and place an order through the retailer's app, or is it okay to just bring up their website in a browser and order there? Is one quicker/more reliable than the other?

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Is it generally recommended to try and place an order through the retailer's app, or is it okay to just bring up their website in a browser and order there? Is one quicker/more reliable than the other?
Do both if you have can. The more the better. I used several browsers and the app. Remember you are fighting scalpers and bots so you have to increase your odds. Make sure you have. Payment info and account logged in and saved. It takes time you will not have.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Is anyone trying to do trade-ins through Gamestop? The main reason I'm in limbo and don't have a preorder lined up is because I was wanting to trade my old consoles in to GS for a relatively headache free cheaper way to hop in with the new systems.

If I sit on Gamestop.com tomorrow night and get lucky to snag a preorder, will I have to pay in full up front? If I get lucky and do pay in full up front, can I still get some of that back/refunded via a trade done in a store?

It's kind of an awkward situation, especially since I'd both love to have the new consoles while at the same time wanting to avoid MSRP and up WHILE ALSO capitalizing on a trade-in situation while they are at their best value...
You can always put the money from the trade in towards games.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the best of luck to all taking their chances of nabbing a next gen system tomorrow.

I'm definitely gonna need it.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Figured we should have this thread since the current thread has a lot of activity from people who are waiting on their pre-order delivery.

www.resetera.com

PlayStation 5 - Pre-Order |OT2| Play Has Limits (See Threadmark For Preorder Tips)

Pre-Order Information: Pre-orders are LIVE Launch: November 12th, 2020 – US, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea November 19th, 2020 – Rest of the World* including Europe, Middle East, South America, Asia and South Africa *PS5 launch date in China will be announced at a...

I will copy a post from that thread to provide some tips for buying a PS5 on launch day with no pre-order:

For those looking to preorder a PS5 in the US, here is what we know of right now.

The Target internal memo that has been leaked around shows PS5s will be available on Launch Day (most assume around midnight) online only for in-store pickup ONLY. This has also been referenced by Target's @asktarget Twitter Account. So that would mean you should start browsing Target's website AND their app (this is important cause some people have had more luck preordering PS5s on the store apps of major retailers) around 11pm Wednesday Night November 11th.

Wal-Mart is advertising PS5s will be available, online only, on Launch Day November 12th at 12pm, 3pm, 6pm and 9pm. I would be sure to get the Wal-Mart app installed on your phone and make sure all your payment information is up to date and you know your password to easily be logged into your Wal-Mart account.

Best Buy shows in their Black Friday Ad on page 10 that PS5s will be available ONLINE ONLY for Black Friday. When their prices go live? Nobody knows. But again, you should probably load up their PS5 page in both a browser and their app and start around 11pm on Thursday Night November 26th.

Make sure on these sites, and any other sites you are intending to try to snag a preorder from, that you know your password and login information, have your credit card up to date, and have your "default payment" updated to reflect a current working form of payment or credit card. Do all of this now to help streamline your checkout process in the future. If you are going to try to use, say, a gift card for your purchase at Best Buy for example, have your gift card number already typed into a document so you can copy and paste it and have it ready to go at checkout. You don't want to spend precious time trying to type the number in correctly. You could even enter your code for a purchase now, make sure it is right and works, then just don't check out for your item. Copy the code you put in for your gift card into a document cause you know it works and is ready.

Finally, Make sure to follow Wario64 on Twitter. I created a single twitter account that's only purpose is to follow Wario64 and I have notifications turned on to that account only! Anytime he tweets, I get a notification. I was able to get a PS5 from Amazon just by one of his tweets. He is going to have a tweet go up when PS5s go live. However, in some instances, when you see the tweet, it could be too late. He has a lot of followers doing the same thing you will be doing.

More good tips

Personally I will be refreshing Target tonight. We'll see how it goes!

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Also to add. Keep checking out even if you get out of stock errors. As long as the PS5 is in your cart the game isn't over.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Also to add. Keep checking out even if you get out of stock errors. As long as the PS5 is in your cart the game isn't over.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I have enough in-store credit to get a PS5 in store, however I'm thinking that if I assume that they have non pre-order stock of the PS5 on any day of this week or next week, that would be naïve. Should I just wait awhile?

Jun 10, 2020
Texas
Target won't even ship the one I ordered months ago but they are offering them in store on launch day. I guess I'll try my luck tonight and see if I can get one.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Something to potentially note about PS5s at Target (pick-up only), which I noticed when Xbox consoles went up for sale: the inventory seemed to pop up on a store by store basis, i.e. not all at once. So if the store you're hoping for says "out of stock" or "not available at this store" or something like that, you might just need to keep refreshing (or you might have missed it already). Your safest bet might just be to settle for a store that's out of the way if you can land one there.

Also, this could be different as well, but they went up on the site around 1:25AM EST, but I'd start watching around 1:00AM EST (midnight CST, where Target's headquarters is).

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
people with costco memberships should watch out for online orders as well. i know costco currently has the ps5 in the system but who knows if they will get any at the stores or online. they did have some series x orders online so who knows. i do know that my store has the bundle in the system with spiderman and another control and a ps now card.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
tenor.gif

I'm looking here in the UK and can't find anything, I don't think it's gonna be readily available until mid next year but I'll keep looking!

Oct 28, 2017
Something to potentially note about PS5s at Target (pick-up only), which I noticed when Xbox consoles went up for sale: the inventory seemed to pop up on a store by store basis, i.e. not all at once. So if the store you're hoping for says "out of stock" or "not available at this store" or something like that, you might just need to keep refreshing (or you might have missed it already). Your safest bet might just be to settle for a store that's out of the way if you can land one there.

Also, this could be different as well, but they went up on the site around 1:25AM EST, but I'd start watching around 1:00AM EST (midnight CST, where Target's headquarters is).

Speaking the truth! As someone who went through the entire Xbox Series X in store Pick up at Target experience a few nights ago (just to prep to help my buddy get a PS5 tonight) this is all true. With the Xbox, they had some for shipping too after all the in store pickups were gone. However, I am not sure they will have PS5 for shipping since the listing right now specifically says "Only available with Drive Up or Order Pickup services"

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
Is there a way to see if my closest target will have stock? It's one of the smaller urban ones.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the other thread, but just in case people don't see it:

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hello, checking in. I wasn't lucky/fast enough to secure a pre-order.

This will be the first Sony console I won't have on launch day. Feels real bad.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I went to my local Gamestop today to pick up some PSN cards and they put a sign that all Xbox SX were sold out, only PS5 remained. (Preorders)

I asked how that was and he said basically MS only had 1 run of their consoles while Sony had 2 runs. (I guess allotments)

This sucks since I am trying to trade my X1X for an SX but couldn't.

So if I were any of you, I would just call gamestop to see if they have any in stock. Chances is they do.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
Man tonight is going to be stressful
That's part of the fun! Hoping to nab one on Target, going by Wario64's Twitter, the new Xbox popped up there around 10:25 PM PST. I was hoping to go through Gamestop since I have a bunch of credit there but I don't want to get forced into a bundle. I'll just use my credit for accessories.