• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Larian are making Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 3.

giphy.gif

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
I'll eat up anything Larion puts out, no question, have loved them for a long time.

A Baldur's Gate game from them as a Larian product would be sweet, no doubt.

But....#3? Doesn't that carry a lot of baggage? A lot of expectations? Knowing how the internet is these days if it doesn't fulfill every fan's expectations in every way it'll just be a disappointment (to them, some of us have perspective). Putting that 3 in the title says sequel, continuation, legacy, etc. It says "we're going to carry on what Bioware did.." but even Bioware aren't doing what they did anymore.

Larian has built their rep on so much that is their own IP, why put that anchor around their neck at this point? This isn't the umpteenth attempt at Jagged Alliance or just another Star Wars game...this is Baldur's Freaking Gate 3. Jeepers that's a big deal.

I guess....if they really knock it out of the park....it'd really cement them as a top tier rpg developer. I don't doubt their talent but this is a heck of a risk, and I sincerely hope it pays off.
Well in this best timeline we already have Bloodlines 2 announced, from a new developer no less. And for Baldur's Gate 3 Larian are the best bet in business right now.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
How is nobody talking about the most important part of a new Larian game: More Swen Vincke videos.

Djg9GnHX4AAFMXv.png

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I made this mock up as a joke last year.

I can't belive this is about to be fucking real. Even with better circumstances.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
if BG3 will it be D&D? I hope not..
Why wouldn't it be? And why would that be a bad thing??

I'll eat up anything Larion puts out, no question, have loved them for a long time.

A Baldur's Gate game from them as a Larian product would be sweet, no doubt.

But....#3? Doesn't that carry a lot of baggage? A lot of expectations? Knowing how the internet is these days if it doesn't fulfill every fan's expectations in every way it'll just be a disappointment (to them, some of us have perspective). Putting that 3 in the title says sequel, continuation, legacy, etc. It says "we're going to carry on what Bioware did.." but even Bioware aren't doing what they did anymore.

Larian has built their rep on so much that is their own IP, why put that anchor around their neck at this point? This isn't the umpteenth attempt at Jagged Alliance or just another Star Wars game...this is Baldur's Freaking Gate 3. Jeepers that's a big deal.

I guess....if they really knock it out of the park....it'd really cement them as a top tier rpg developer. I don't doubt their talent but this is a heck of a risk, and I sincerely hope it pays off.
I think the D&D / forgotten realms setting is so vast and thematically rich that it won't feel like an anchor. As a fan of the D&D universe, Larian having access to that IP is incredibly exciting. There's so much potential for quality fantasy storytelling.

Of course, one could argue that they don't need to specifically make BG 3 and could just make a brand new Forgotten Realms RPG, but I'll take what I can get.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
if BG3 will it be D&D? I hope not..

Thats what Baldurs Gate is though? A place In the Forgotten Realms setting of DnD.

Also how are there people here who can state that Larian is not a top-tier RPG producer? Who would you rank better?

Regardless of whether this is Divinity 3, Original Sin 3, or Baldurs Gate 3 this is fantastic news all around.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I am in whatever Larian does. Loved D:OS 1 and 2. I also liked original Divinity 2 (Developer edition).

If they get D&D license and make that sort of an RPG, I am in as well.

fryemoney.gif.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
My biggest dream for Baldurs Gate 3 would be if Matt Mercer is responsible or at least involved in the campaign plot. With the stellar job he does with Critical Role, that'd amazing.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I'm hoping they go for RTwP. I'm fucking excited but would rather not a Divinity game with a DnD skin.

Only played he first game but hopefully they up their writing too.

RenorMirshann

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
Poland
I don't know what to think. Baldur's Gate III will obviously disappoint me, the first two are my childhood.

But if any of the current studios can have a shot at reigniting this magical flame, it's Larian.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Move over Vampire 2 and Cyberpunk here comes a kick to evil! Go for the eyes, Boo!!!!

2nd ed rules or bust.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Larian making Baldur's Gate 3...omg. Now i'm expecting it and will be disappointed if it doesn't happen. They are a really good fit for the IP. I hope i get to hear "You must gather your party before venturing forth", even if only as an easter egg. Please be true.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I wonder why BG3 took so long to come out anyway, i remember back in the day BG was one of the biggest PC games next to Blizzard & Valve titles.