offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The European version of MGS2 had a questionnaire at the start of the game, and if you answered that you didn't clear MGS1, the game started at Big Shell, and you missed the whole Tanker chapter. Never understood wtf that was all about. lol.

Suichimo

Mar 17, 2021
The Golden Sun series has a single missable dungeon in the form of the Anemos Inner Sanctum in Golden Sun The Lost Age, on the GBA. Here you will find the last two summons of the game, Charon and Iris, as well as the strongest boss in the series, Dullahan. You can see the entrance to the dungeon normally but, to get into it you need to have collected all 72 Djinni throughout both games. There are 28 Djinni in Golden Sun and 44 Djinni in Golden Sun The Lost Age. Of the 28 Djinni in Golden Sun, only two are acquired automatically during the story, you meet the first when you leave your home town at the start of the game and the other comes with the Mercury/Water Adept that joins your team. The Djinni you do collect can be transferred over to Golden Sun The Lost Age through either a password or the GBA Link Cable. If you did not collect all 28 Djinni in Golden Sun, four random Djinni(one of each element and from those you missed) will be placed in differing spots in The Lost Age, so technically you can only transfer 24 Djinni over and still get access to the final dungeon.

However, there is also an item in Golden Sun called the Orb of Force which is required for a Djinni that is unique to Golden Sun The Lost Age. Now, while the game does push you extremely hard to getting the Orb of Force, it is actually entirely possible not to get it and the rest of the game is beatable without it. There is also no replacement for this item in Golden Sun The Lost Age. So if you, somehow(you'd almost have to be doing it intentionally in my opinion), miss this item in Golden Sun, you are straight up locked out of the final dungeon.

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, on the DS, is infamous within the fanbase for having several side chapters that require you to have let a lot of characters die and one of the chapters requires you to either not have recruited a specific character and/or not acquired Marth's best weapon. Each of these chapters comes with a replacement character and all but the first side chapter also has additional items, fairly good items at that, in them.

The other half of the map in Pokémon gold or silver

Is that really missable, though? It's the continuation of the story. I guess if you stopped playing after you beat the Elite Four the first time and never picked the game up again...

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow Hearts constantly does shit like this.

There is an optional dungeon which further fleshes out the story and has a cool item that you don't normally get until much later. It's only available once you enter the mid-point dungeon, which also serves as a point of no return so you have to exit that dungeon and go find the optional one. And the optional one is unlocked only after answering a series of questions in a specific way, and you won't have any hint or idea you just unlocked it unless you look up a guide.

Some of Yuri's transformations too. To get the best one you need the penultimate one, which is also only available shortly before another point of no return, and is incredibly easy to miss.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Castlevania Symphony of the Night, the second half of the game.

Order of Eeclesia is kind of like this too. Other then it being a castlevania game, there's no reason to expect there's any more to unlock besides a good ending if you find all the villagers, some of whom are quite well hidden. The first time I beat it, I nearly didn't bother going back. Then I did, and was like… holy shit there's an entire castle section left!

There's also the hidden training grounds area which is easily missed if you can't be bothered to do the complicated puzzle section leading to its entrance.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'd like to say star ocean 2. There are characters you can recruit along with their stories you'll never experience depending on whether you select Claude or Rena as the main character. Star Ocean 2 is a pretty big game that also has a lot of side content so it's not a trivial matter to start a new game with the other character you didn't choose.

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I feel like I have to use guides to not miss side areas. Typically I don't replay many games and I want to make sure my first play though is as comprehensive as possible.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
There's a very important cutscene in Trails of Cold Steel II that not only you have to get some very specific items in very specific areas, but you also have to do it on New Game +.

Cold Steel III just assumes you've seen that cutscene and goes on it's way without explaining anything lol

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
From Software games, unfortunately (or fortunately for some weirdos), have a lot of extremely lore-rich/very interesting hidden areas that you would never find out witouth a guide or A LOT of time and patience.

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Vesperia has a nuts amount of easily missable stuff.
This. Tales series is notorious for this, like Tales of Abyss.
Love the game, but you can easily miss stuff like artes and powerful weapons due to not backtracking at various times in-between story progress.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
It's gotta be Witcher 2 - based on your decision in Act 1, the whole Act 2 is different and I mean DIFFERENT = different area, different quests, different characters, dialogs, choices, monsters, etc.. and based on that, Act 3 can look different (the same area, but the environment/map can have some differences) based on your decisions in Act 2.. and from the whole story you only get like 2/3 and if you want to knew all about the story and characters, you must play the game atleast 2 times and play through the two different Acts 2

You can be either in this military (Kaedweni) camp in Act 2...
682999-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-enhanced-edition-xbox-360.jpg

... or you can end up being in this town - Vergen
980196-1468885122.jpg

And based on your choices in that act, the environment in Act 3 can have some interesting changes
th-2236-508.jpg
It's so sad how cdpr basically watered down what happened in the witcher 2 story when the witcher 3 came out. Like only a few characters you get to see again. A couple of big omessions are Iorveth and the Saskia.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
The Trails in the Sky series does this in a subtle way. Almost every main plot action you take in the game ticks time forward, and all the NPCs in the game who you can reach will have new things to say - seeing every line of dialogue in the game is a truly herculean task.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
i think hidden easter egg items are fine to be missable, but i absolutely despise "good vs evil" choice games

just give me everything you want the game to be please

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Isn't the Crimson Flower route in Fire Emblem Three Houses locked behind a dialogue tree late in the first half of the game?

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy 6 has that one character that you can completely miss on if you dont get eat by a certain enemy on a certain island.
In addition, right during the huge mid-game cataclysmic event, if you don't select "No" a couple of times at the end of the escape, you won't be able to get back a certain character later on.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Dark Souls...

Without looking stuff up, I would have definitely missed the return to the asylum, the painted world, ash lake, and the entire expansion

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Isn't the Crimson Flower route in Fire Emblem Three Houses locked behind a dialogue tree late in the first half of the game?
You need a C+ support with Edelgard and talk to her in the monastery in a specific month to unlock it. Say yes to what she asks of you, and you get the option later in the game to switch to Crimson Flower.

So, basically, if you hang out with Edelgard, or fight by her side a lot, she gives you the offer to join her. If not, she won't. C+ is an easy enough rank to reach if you use meals to restore Motivation, anyway.

But yes, if you miss talking to her in that one month, or say no? You're stuck going to Silver Snow.

Paulogy

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the most satisfying parts of The Witness are right there for you to discover, and some folks never will

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn has so many characters that you can miss on that I actually just found out that there is one character I have never ever recruited lmao

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
This. Tales series is notorious for this, like Tales of Abyss.
Love the game, but you can easily miss stuff like artes and powerful weapons due to not backtracking at various times in-between story progress.

Agreed. Many Tales games are absolutely awful with that stuff, since it's not always entirely clear that a sidequest has a cutoff point, and that can lead to missing a lot of stuff (since some do build off of each other).

Abyss had a lot of this as did Vesperia from what I remember.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
NieR: Automata after Route A (I.E. the first playthrough). 😭

The story isn't even close to over until you complete Routes B - E. Yet plenty of players are like "I beat that game and it was whatever" after seeing maybe 1/3 of the story.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
You can finish Deus Ex: Mankind Divided without visiting Palisade Bank, a dense, complex map, full of awesome secrets, arguably the highlight of the game when it comes to level design.

Suichimo

Mar 17, 2021
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn has so many characters that you can miss on that I actually just found out that there is one character I have never ever recruited lmao
The only characters that I'd really qualify for this are Stefan, Jill, and two characters that are only available on your second playthrough of the game. All the others are pretty standard Fire Emblem fare for recruitment.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
You do miss on them if you dont check out the conversation before the start of a chapter. Something I may have done during my first run lmao

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Valkyrie Profile is an obtuse but loveable mess of missables. You'll almost certainly not see the real ending without a guide. It's ridiculous.

Many of the others I'd mention have already been covered.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
Persona 4: The Golden. Just like someone was saying about P5R, P4G had a character you had to get a high rating for to get access to the end of the game. I never did, never knew that was a thing. And when I found out, I didn't want to play through the entire game again just to see that content.
And unlike P5R it's decidedly not one of the game's shining moments. It's also locked behind an absolute dumpster fire of a social link.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
It's gotta be Witcher 2 - based on your decision in Act 1, the whole Act 2 is different and I mean DIFFERENT = different area, different quests, different characters, dialogs, choices, monsters, etc.. and based on that, Act 3 can look different (the same area, but the environment/map can have some differences) based on your decisions in Act 2.. and from the whole story you only get like 2/3 and if you want to knew all about the story and characters, you must play the game atleast 2 times and play through the two different Acts 2

You can be either in this military (Kaedweni) camp in Act 2...
682999-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-enhanced-edition-xbox-360.jpg

... or you can end up being in this town - Vergen
980196-1468885122.jpg

And based on your choices in that act, the environment in Act 3 can have some interesting changes
th-2236-508.jpg

I thought you could visit both camps?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
All of the protagonist's characterization in Assassin's Creed 3 is relegated to optional side-quests. If you just blast through the main quest line, he's the most bland protagonist in the franchise.

OP
OP
Multievolution
Jun 5, 2018
I though I was going crazy lol:

www.resetera.com

What’s the biggest thing you’ve accidentally missed when playing a game?

This might be more so for choice based games, though even single player experiences allow you to miss the odd weapon or even a cutscene, curious to see if anyone has any. I’ve missed out on weapons many times, and in dragon age inquisition I even missed a companion at one point, without realising.
Oh, you right, I just replayed the game so I completely forgot I made this ;p

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Final Fantasy VI's World of Ruins is probably one of the best fit for this question. The strict minimum required to go reach the final area is to get the airship and that's kind of it, which needs only Celes, Sabin, Setzer, maybe Edgar (been a while, I forget)? And literally everything else is technically optional.

From's games often have entire areas hidden behind secrets such as illusory walls or convoluted side-quests:

Dark Souls: Great Hollow + Ash Lake, Painted World of Ariamis, the entire DLC
Dark Souls 2: Darklurker side-quest + boss, Vendrick boss fight
Dark Souls 3: Untended Graves, Archdragon Peak
Bloodborne: pre-Rom Yahar'gul, Cainhurst Castle, Upper Cathedral Ward
Sekiro: Ashina Outskirts in the end-game + Demon of Hatred boss, Hirata Estate v2 + Owl Father boss

the first play through, I didn't even any idea you could wait for Shadow…. So I didn't.
John Harker
Knows things...

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Persona 5 Royal was my first exposure to Persona and I missed the entire final semester because I didn't understand that I had to hang out with a new character that I didn't know was new (since I never played P5...) to do so.

I also save over save slots to keep things organized, so I wasn't exactly happy when I realized I spent 80 hours on a game and missed the final (optional) bit. I hope it comes to PC someday so that I can play through it, although I've heard it really isn't that great.
I'm afraid you heard wrong. The 3rd semester is some of the best content in the game.

I'm eagerly awaiting to replay it on PC, too. I liked the game a lot, but the frame rate and image quality on PS4 was nasty.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I missed a ton of content when I played FFVII as a kid. I didn't get Vincent, missed most of the good materia, missed a lot of limit breaks, totally skipped the chocobo breeding and racing (aside from the required bit), missed most of the ultimate weapons, etc. I basically had to spend hours and hours grinding in the crater just so that I could beat Sephiroth because I didn't have jack shit lol

I finally redeemed myself earlier this year and 100% completed the Steam version.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Dark Souls has tons of missable important content, from whole areas to entire hidden mechanics.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Final Fantasy VI's World of Ruins is probably one of the best fit for this question. The strict minimum required to go reach the final area is to get the airship and that's kind of it, which needs only Celes, Sabin, Setzer, maybe Edgar (been a while, I forget)? And literally everything else is technically optional.

From's games often have entire areas hidden behind secrets such as illusory walls or convoluted side-quests:

Dark Souls: Great Hollow + Ash Lake, Painted World of Ariamis, the entire DLC
Dark Souls 2: Darklurker side-quest + boss, Vendrick boss fight
Dark Souls 3: Untended Graves, Archdragon Peak
Bloodborne: pre-Rom Yahar'gul, Cainhurst Castle, Upper Cathedral Ward
Sekiro: Ashina Outskirts in the end-game + Demon of Hatred boss, Hirata Estate v2 + Owl Father boss

John Harker
Knows things...

and every time I don't, a Shadow dies 🤣

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I thought you could visit both camps?

You can and do, as part of each arc's narrative, but the visit is framed accordingly to the earlier choice and only permits access to a specific quest arc. Geralt does have to visit both, but whichever you start in provides specific narrative, characters, and quests that will not be accessible for people who started elsewhere. They both have their own narrative reveals too that aren't accessible in the other. For example, if you start at the Kaedweni camp instead of Vergen, you can never find out that
Saskia is the dragon

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Persona 5 Royal was my first exposure to Persona and I missed the entire final semester because I didn't understand that I had to hang out with a new character that I didn't know was new (since I never played P5...) to do so.

I also save over save slots to keep things organized, so I wasn't exactly happy when I realized I spent 80 hours on a game and missed the final (optional) bit. I hope it comes to PC someday so that I can play through it, although I've heard it really isn't that great.

The last trimester is the best part of the game.

Yakuza 7 locks a field skill behind a class. All you need to do is switch to that class once to unlock it forever, but the game doesn't really tell you this, and you can go the whole game without this ability without even knowing it. The ability is required to get gold keys to unlock golden chests locked all around the city, along with a bunch of other unique items.

Yeah this was among the many issues I had with the game.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
Many visual novel style games are willing to lock half or more of the game behind key decisions and the illusion of an ending.

I just can't name any of them without spoiling.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Persona 4 Golden has you making decision near the end and depending which you answer, you might just end the game right there or go through an actual finale to the game. Then there's also an extra stuff with the new Golden character.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Painted World of Ariamis, a whole secret area in the first Dark Souls, that it's kinda hard to even know it exists without some sort of guide

I'm really curious if ANYBODY found that level on accident. The circumstances for finding it are so specific that I really don't think it's possible that anyone found it without being told. If I remember right I don't think anything in the game actually points you in the right direction of completing that quest