Pelleas

Oct 28, 2017
I stopped buying LoL butter and half and half.

But that was years ago after finding out the owner contributed to Trump's campaign.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with Land O'Lakes so it feels like the end of an era. The image is so iconic in my mind. I'm not mad about it or anything. If people were rightfully upset, then by all means change it, I just don't know the actual origins to know whether it was offensive or....

I stopped buying LoL butter and half and half.

But that was years ago after finding out the owner contributed to Trump's campaign.

....oh, so most likely.

That's good, but it's got nothing on the GOAT.

KG-Pure-Irish-Butter2-380x327.png
Hell yeah!

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Well now I had to go and research this and I'm just confused. The image was made by a member of the Red Lake Ojibwe, which is located in Minnesota where Land O'Lakes is from.

Could somebody go into slightly more detail as to whether this was actually deemed offensive, if this is just a marketing change, or is this just a change to avoid questions whether offensive or not?

Pelleas

Oct 28, 2017
... Land o' Lakes is a co-op though. It doesn't have an 'owner'.
I just remember reading about it forever ago (might've actually been a thread here), meaning 2 years ago under this administration. It was definitely someone very high up in the company though.

As an aside, as dismayed as I was about switching to another creamer, it was nothing compared to having to switch hotdog brands from Nathan's.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed on the margarine comments. I always ate margarine as a kid because that's what my parents bought. Couldn't believe how terrible it was compared to real butter.

Along with Oleo / Olestra, margarine has gotta be one of those all time food scare scams. For a period from like 1989 to 1995 we only used margarine on things because my parents and grandmother obviously read some bull shit in Readers Digest.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Time to put a series of successful and influential Native American women on the box instead since they miss her so much.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
When you're so allergic to change you actually notice someone changing the brand logo on your freaking butter.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I only buy Sunbeam because that cures coronavirus. Nature's Own is communist. Nobody owns me or my bread except me.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
i, for one, am foaming at the mouth at the thought of being unable to be racist while making scones

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
No idea about this brand but the second one is a more modern streamlined brand packaging

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I also can't help but take someone referring to themselves as a "butter buyer" as some kind of sexual euphemism, because I can't imagine spontaneously identifying myself as a butter buyer no matter how much butter I actually buy.

It reminds me of:

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
I'll admit the carton does look kinda sparse now that she's missing, but it was definitely time for an update. Maybe they need a new mascot, like a butter trout or something.

chaostrophy

Oct 27, 2017
This is the kind of thing that reminds me how bizarre the whole meme of "liberals/leftists are so easily offended" is. Conservatives are constantly throwing fits about little changes like this making themselves look like whiny babies.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
It

It's more about how there's not a male equivalent, so it has more of a sexist spin on it because it causes undue hate toward women.
There's absolutely a male equivalent though, but none of us know what the name is. There's even a picture of the male equivalent quoted like 5 times on the last page.

A "Karen" is someone who overwhelmingly exudes "I want to talk to your manager" brand entitlement energy. There are totally men who do that.

Edit: Looking around the internet a bit it's pretty universally agreed on that there's a male version but nobody can agree on what name to use. I've seen Bob, Ian, Marc, Kyle (though Kyle seems to be a whole other breed of human mainly revolving around Monster energy drinks) Dan and Greg. The kind of dude who's gonna humiliate the waitress at IHOP over some stupid bullshit by chewing out her manager. IMO it should be Doug. "Christ, Doug, not again, I'll be with the kids in the car" "I'm juST ASKING THE MAN A QUESTION"

Edit: Hal would be good too, it makes me think of the dad from Malcolm in the Middle but it seems like a fitting name for the kind of dude taking a low angle selfie in his truck.

Last edited:

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The same thing happened in Finland when an absolutely racist candy called "N-word kiss" got rid of the N-word about 10-15 years ago. shit heads were saying they'll never buy it etc. Fucking hell people.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One thing I noticed about a lot of Americans is they have really strong brand loyalty, it's practically an obsession

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's absolutely a male equivalent though, but none of us know what the name is. There's even a picture of the male equivalent quoted like 5 times on the last page.

A "Karen" is someone who overwhelmingly exudes "I want to talk to your manager" brand entitlement energy. There are totally men who do that.

Edit: Looking around the internet a bit it's pretty universally agreed on that there's a male version but nobody can agree on what name to use. I've seen Bob, Ian, Marc, Kyle (though Kyle seems to be a whole other breed of human mainly revolving around Monster energy drinks) Dan and Greg. The kind of dude who's gonna humiliate the waitress at IHOP over some stupid bullshit by chewing out her manager. IMO it should be Doug. "Christ, Doug, not again, I'll be with the kids in the car" "I'm juST ASKING THE MAN A QUESTION"

Male-Karens (who REALLY need a name ASAP) have some slightly different traits and uniforms, but they are united with Karens in a commonality of "shit-starters that think the world owes them something/everything for no good reason and will step over anyone to get it".

EDIT: For extra fun, the correct collective noun (eg. murder of crows, herd of cows, drove of hares, parliament of owls, etc) is "a complaint of Karens".

Last edited:

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
interestingly enough I read this article last week about the very topic.

www.theguardian.com

The 'Karen' meme is everywhere ā€“ and it has become mired in sexism

Countless TikTok videos are dedicated to the Karen meme. What was once a way of describing womenā€™s behaviour is now too often about controlling it
That article is very picky-choosey.
Like how she just neglects to mention that the person that agreed with her comment and started the discussion causing the "firestorm" described in the article is a well-known TERF, which is what set it off. And the fact that "Karen" is used to describe the casual racism of entitled middle-aged white women was brushed aside in a sentence or two for being wholly inconvenient to the narrative.

More examples:

Contrary to what some silly articles have claimed, no serious person is equating Karen with the N-word.
"Oh, you were serious, let me laugh harder." We live in a world where people seriously call removing an Indigenous woman from a butter packet as PC culture run amok, don't be so naive to think that it's not happening and it's not dead serious.

This weekend, the Sunday Times defined Karen as "an annoying person in the office", and you have to admire the use of the genderless word "person" there because I'd love to know how many men out there have been called "a Karen". I'm gonna guess it's a feminine, curvaceous zero.

Until they get their own forever-name, YEAH, we're calling men Karens too. My first exposure to the Karen meme was a Facebook listicle that had Male Karen examples in it, FFS. ExampleS. Plural.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
Can someone enlighten me why the old logo was considered problematic?

Also lol at brand loyalty for damn butter.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can someone enlighten me why the old logo was considered problematic?

Also lol at brand loyalty for damn butter.
Indigenous women don't typically look like that, first of all. That specific look has been used in art and culture as a caricature of Indigenous girls below age of consent, semi-frequently in a sexual manner. And lastly, it's making Indigenous peoples into mascots, a long-standing North American tradition that many Indigenous people don't much care for.
EDIT: And for those unaware, there's an epidemic of missing and murdered Indigenous girls, many of which are manipulated into or kidnapped for sex trafficking.

Last edited:

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to miss those thick ass thighs šŸ˜­

Also shouldn't it just be Lakes now? There's no land.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile Land O Lakes butter are revelling in tons of free advertising because of Karen's outrage. Good job you racist piece of shit, thanks for signal boosting a nice and necessary move by the random butter company.