Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Starter Kit finally arrived, built the VR goggles and its as expected (having dabbled with google cardboard before). The IQ certainly isn't the best, but the whole kit feels way better than google cardboard and other 3rd party equivalents.

Not sure if I will build the blaster, waiting for Zelda and Mario VR modes to land.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I've had the kit since it first came out and I STILL haven't built the blaster. Not sure I will anytime soon. I'd much rather get games to play in VR, to be honest. Waiting for more games....

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
I've had the kit since it first came out and I STILL haven't built the blaster. Not sure I will anytime soon. I'd much rather get games to play in VR, to be honest. Waiting for more games....
You're Missing out, friend. The blaster is so satisfying to use, it takes a while but def worth it. It took me about an hour and a half/2 hours speeding through the whole thing. It feels how I imagined the snes superscope felt (never did get to try that thing).

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Ha, me too. I do want to play the game, but I don't have 2.5 hour time to build it with my daughter

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
You're missing out, having something to hold and physically interact with and get feedback like recoil is extremely cool.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Received the 2 add on kit. Will get the starter pack tomorrow.
2 questions :
-how to build them ? No instruction whatsoever
-Can I download the software or it'll get a card tomorrow ?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Received the 2 add on kit. Will get the starter pack tomorrow.
2 questions :
-how to build them ? No instruction whatsoever
-Can I download the software or it'll get a card tomorrow ?
The game card in the starter kit contains everything, it has building instructions for every ToyCon, including the add-on kits (that's why they require the Starter Kit).

You can't do anything but wait for the Starter kit to arrive.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game card in the starter kit contains everything, it has building instructions for every ToyCon, including the add-on kits (that's why they require the Starter Kit).

Oh I understand. Will get it tomorrow with the update for Zelda and Mario. Good timing.
Is there any way to download the software thighb(it's just a card not a code for download ?).

one of us

Oct 28, 2017
So chuffed am I about it that I feel the need to post, but last night I added a face cushion, elastic Velcro headstrap, and a nose guard sponge for the additional tablet weight.

https://imgur.com/a/4lmCruD

It's surprisingly cozy, no light is able to get through, and the board allows a tight fit but I've made no cuts. Now hang onto your wigs and keys here, folks.. I did this probably under 15 minutes and for a grand total of a dollar.
I do believe I'm ready for tomorrow. =)

OP
OP
jts

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Technically he can look up if anyone has posted the instructions for some of the toy-cons online or see someone building them on Youtube, if he wants a headstart.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Technically he can look up if anyone has posted the instructions for some of the toy-cons online or see someone building them on Youtube, if he wants a headstart.
Yes I thought about that too, but as those are accessories for the base VR Kit, he may need to have to check from time to time if it fits or something else, I don't know

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So chuffed am I about it that I feel the need to post, but last night I added a face cushion, elastic Velcro headstrap, and a nose guard sponge for the additional tablet weight.

https://imgur.com/a/4lmCruD

It's surprisingly cozy, no light is able to get through, and the board allows a tight fit but I've made no cuts. Now hang onto your wigs and keys here, folks.. I did this probably under 15 minutes and for a grand total of a dollar.
I do believe I'm ready for tomorrow. =)

I'm loving the idea of just being able to strap my labo to my face. Did you just recycle the pieces off that crappy ONN headset? I'd like to hear more in detail. Your mod looks awesome.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
You're Missing out, friend. The blaster is so satisfying to use, it takes a while but def worth it. It took me about an hour and a half/2 hours speeding through the whole thing. It feels how I imagined the snes superscope felt (never did get to try that thing).

I probably should build it, but I don't really have a desire to play with it since I'm not really a fan of mini-games. What I want it Thumper VR patch. More VR games, please!

Oh, and I ended up building a nice strap for my headset. I ended up following the way the Oculus Go does it and it's super comfortable. The top strap took a bit more work since I was worried about light getting through. Luckily, I saw a "strap" video that gave me an idea of how to deal with it. Pretty cool.

Does anybody sell a kind of heads trap for it ?

Not that I know of, but there was this cool video that basically used the strap from a Gear VR. If you can find one of those, I think that would work quite well.

one of us

Oct 28, 2017
I'm loving the idea of just being able to strap my labo to my face. Did you just recycle the pieces off that crappy ONN headset? I'd like to hear more in detail. Your mod looks awesome.
I did indeed. You'll see the nose sponge I used right as you open it which is loosely glued on, so carefully peel that off first. The strap loops are around plastic that is notched in the middle so you just slide all 3 of those off easily, and the face cushion snaps on and off with a little force revealing plastic hooks and a base underneath a thin layer of fabric. I ended up using that later on so the next thing to do is carefully slide that whole snap hook molding through and out so you're just left with the cushion.
After you've got the kit unrolled, what I did was center the cushion and tucked that thin layering around and under entirety of the grey plastic molding for your forehead, and line two little strips of double sided scotch tape on the exposed plastic of the bottom nose bridge to keep each end of the cushion in place.
The loop of the top strap I sorta centered, balanced and tucked in the little space on top edge of the cardboard nose piece just past the brow molding. Make sure the lenses are clean and then you can roll it back up and slide the board all the way back under the plastic again securing that strap as well as the thin fabric holding the face mask. Again all of this is a tight fit (which I'd argue is preferable) so 'know the cardboard' and be real careful from there on out.
And then for the sides what I did was pinch those two angled edges of the board on the top to keep the strap from going through, then lay the straps flush along that top edge with the loop threading just on the edge of the washer, which'll really help fully secure that from sliding out. With a little pull it puts the start of the velcro lining just on the outside edge. Hold that all in place and carefully squeeze that flap shut again and you're golden. The elastic does end up covering the holes a bit but you can slide and fully expose 'em if you need to. You could cut holes in the straps to then lay around the washers, but there's enough force and friction to where I didn't feel it necessary and wanted those straps angled upwards, so I decided against it.
The nose bridge, I just kinda mushed the sponge in there horizontally to help with the extra weight and completely block out light from the bottom. Good luck and lemme know how it goes. =)

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
When the Zelda update drops, I'm going to look at everyone's butt in VR.

No one will be spared, either. I will even find a way to look at King Dorephan's butt.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
I tried to update Zelda and it prompted a system update... but after updating, the Zelda update is not available yet... :(

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Posting this review because it bought up something I didn't know existed in one of the vr games.

It turns out if you build the snorkel for the fish picture game another person wearing that snorkel can control the fish you see in your camera to a degree.

Oct 27, 2017
I got this off Amazon and it fits and works great!

Elastic Datachable Headband for Google Cardboard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXG8P7S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZkoWCbVG6153D
How exactly do you set up this band? I have one like that for another cardboard visor but all I have it a band with two one, sided velcros which won't stick to anything. I would need the two parts of the velcro, one at the beginning and one at the end of the band to make it work, wouldn't I?

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
How exactly do you set up this band? I have one like that for another cardboard visor but all I have it a band with two one, sided velcros which won't stick to anything. I would need the two parts of the velcro, one at the beginning and one at the end of the band to make it work, wouldn't I?

I happened to have a pic I sent my brother earlier this week. This is how it looks and it fits really well. If Zelda works with detached joy cons in VR mode, this will be perfect!

And yes to answer your question, you will need one side of the velcro affixed to the cardboard like this:

i5pDaGh.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Posting this review because it bought up something I didn't know existed in one of the vr games.

It turns out if you build the snorkel for the fish picture game another person wearing that snorkel can control the fish you see in your camera to a degree.

If you only build the models and do the basic "play" activity with them, you miss out on all the additions and suggestions that the Explore section gives you.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
If you only build the models and do the basic "play" activity with them, you miss out on all the additions and suggestions that the Explore section gives you.
This makes Nintendo's handling of VR Labo all the more perplexing.

Features like that mean Labo is designed to be shared in a group. Yet they don't allow sharing garage related projects. They also didn't find a way to implement a way to share what is going on in the headset with another display. Certain games need to keep that information hidden but most of them are better off if people can see more clearly what you're doing and comment.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The VR patches won't be up for hours yet. They're worldwide patches and listed as the 26th in the UK. Well it's not the 26th here yet. It will likely be about 10 or 11 hours from now like the Smash patch.

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
The VR patches won't be up for hours yet. They're worldwide patches and listed as the 26th in the UK. Well it's not the 26th here yet. It will likely be about 10 or 11 hours from now like the Smash patch.

Aw bummer. I'm anxious to see if we can play the game without the joycons attached. I saw mixed messages where people are saying the gyro is only in the joycons but I tested a game in Labo with the joycons detached and the game is still tracking my head when I move only the device. Unless Nintendo prevents us from playing without the joycons attached, I'm optimistic we can use a head strap and still have head tracking.

I'm surprised this VR update isn't getting more hype on Reddit. I've always wanted to get lost in a virtual world.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I hate it when european websites report the american date. :(

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Aw bummer. I'm anxious to see if we can play the game without the joycons attached. I saw mixed messages where people are saying the gyro is only in the joycons but I tested a game in Labo with the joycons detached and the game is still tracking my head when I move only the device. Unless Nintendo prevents us from playing without the joycons attached, I'm optimistic we can use a head strap and still have head tracking.

I'm surprised this VR update isn't getting more hype on Reddit. I've always wanted to get lost in a virtual world.
One thing that i learned in the first Labo kit and is even showed/explained is that the console itself has gyro support so there's no need for the joycons to give it the tracking.

NappingRat

Jul 2, 2018
Wait... the console itself has gyro?
Yes. In the Labo VR main menu, you can navigate solely by moving the tablet portion around in space and double tapping the top right corner of the tablet to click (there's a printed target on all the cardboard goggle attachments for where to double tap and it detects the double tap as a jiggle).
The tablet has gyro and accelerometers.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. In the Labo VR main menu, you can navigate solely by moving the tablet portion around in space and double tapping the top right corner of the tablet to click (there's a printed target on all the cardboard goggle attachments for where to double tap and it detects the double tap as a jiggle).
The tablet has gyro and accelerometers.
Cool I learned something new today.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Just set it all up, excited for Odyssey and BOTW tomorrow! Definitely blurrier than I expected but to be honest this stuff is impressive, great effort from Nintendo. Almost makes me want to buy into VR on PC now.