ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Least she works, rather see that than wasters sitting on the dole bleeding the country dry.

oq0hRBG.jpg

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Which doesn't guarantee that you are savvy enough to create a business and then turn it into a huge success.

People here doing their very best to erase any work she put in because her family are rich. The family that started with nothing btw, and ended up becoming what they are now.

B r u h

She won the lottery from birth, you don't need to be stanning her here. The fact that the system allows billionaires that do almost zero work is insane.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy or didn't we already have this thread a while ago?

Either way, I guess a congrats is in order. Though it's also pretty hard to not roll my eyes at it. I mean, most people have already said it, but she had it made from the day she was born. As I see it, she's mainly a great example of how big an advantage you get from being born rich and beatiful, and growing up among famous people

Last edited:

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
Out of curiosity, what makes you consider NIN to be trash-tier? The pop-influences? The commercial success?

I enjoy (old) Skinny Puppy and Cabaret Voltaire as much as the next guy, but NIN will always be my #1.

I just have a hard time getting into their late 90s stuff early 00. Trash might of been a bit overzealous of me but someone born between third and home running around like they hit a grand slam is mildly infuriating.

Oct 28, 2017
I just have a hard time getting into their late 90s stuff early 00. Trash might of been a bit overzealous of me but someone born between third and home running around like they hit a grand slam is mildly infuriating.

Fair enough. I'm a NIN fanboy so my opinion is fairly biased in the opposite direction.

*cheekily points out Trent's Golden Globe, Oscar, and multiple Grammy Awards*

(I'm not very counter-culture these days)

Cheers, friend.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Actually this just showed up in my FireFox feed and is relevant to the situation here: https://qz.com/1562813/influencer-marketing-explained-by-a-19th-century-economist/

At the end of the 19th century, American economist and sociologist Thorstein Veblen said that people take their cues about what to consume from the social class immediately above their own. They want things just beyond their reach.
The term describes the contemporary phenomenon of influencers marketing their lifestyles, then selling aspects of it, like the beauty products they use or elements of their home's decor, through nearly seamless technological infrastructure, and the finding that more and more commercial opportunities rise with the way people present themselves and interact with each other.
A key to Veblen's theories is the notion of "conspicuousness" in consumption or leisure. The point of buying or doing certain things is to communicate a certain lifestyle or class aspirations. The researchers put it another way, quoting the 2014 St. Vincent song Digital Witness: "If I can't show it, if you can't see me/What's the point of doing anything?"

While this is talking about influencer culture and Instagram, what Instagram really did was provide anyone with sufficient personal wealth and marketing instinct a way to parlay their own consumerism into a brand. Prior to influencers, we had celebrities like the Kardashians or Paris Hilton, who were aspirational targets for a society made up of conspicuous consumers.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Not a fan of the argument of "no talent" or whatnot; regardless of if it's true. I don't believe in meritocracy to begin with, so an argument of whether someone "earned" a valid position of wealth doesn't hold one way or another.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
tfw I'll never get paid 200,000usd to post an orange square on Instagram for the fyre festival

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I barely know anything about the Kardashians, so I'm not a fan by any means but damn the saltiness here is real and cringe, Jesus christ. She may have been born into a more privelaged life than most of us, but she took what she already had and made a shitton of success with it.

The world is not gonna end just because a Kardashian is selling makeup a lot of people are liking, calm down.

Oct 25, 2017
Which doesn't guarantee that you are savvy enough to create a business and then turn it into a huge success.

People here doing their very best to erase any work she put in because her family are rich. The family that started with nothing btw, and ended up becoming what they are now.

Started with nothing? Isn't their dad a famous lawyer, and they ran in famous circles before the sex tape. No need to make these things up.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I know so little about this girl but I feel like I should?

Like last time I noticed her was when she was on Keeping Up with the Kardashians as a weird pre-teen who I could not tell the difference between with her and her sister. How did she get so famous? does she have her own clothing line, luxury cars or something?

Jan 29, 2018
At my current rate of savings and assuming an 8% annual return it'll only take me another 120 years to hit $1 billion. Now I just need to live to 150.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
She's 21 who turned a few million into a billion. Yeah, that's not an easy feat, guys, even with cheat codes. Taylor Swift isn't a billionaire, various stars aren't, etc. She did good, and y'all disregard her marketing talent or ability to hire people who know what they're doing. She's clearly talented enough to weave through capitalism to get what she wants. Y'all act like if you were given a million dollars that you'd easily become billionaires because it's that easy... right?

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Why is it that no matter how much I try to ignore this fucking family I'm not allowed to? I guess at the very least I have zero doubt in my mind that she worked harder for her wealth than Trump did for his.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't know it was possible to stan yourself so hard for leeches, that congestive dissonance manifests itself in text form.

Last edited:

mashoutposse

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A bank account isn't a judge of doing the right thing. It isn't a judge of anything lmao

It's a judge of how valuable you are to someone somewhere.

Practically every single dollar in your pocket came via trade of something of value that you had for the other person (your time, your property, your skills, etc).

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's 21 who turned a few million into a billion. Yeah, that's not an easy feat, guys, even with cheat codes. Taylor Swift isn't a billionaire, various stars aren't, etc. She did good, and y'all disregard her marketing talent or ability to hire people who know what they're doing. She's clearly talented enough to weave through capitalism to get what she wants. Y'all act like if you were given a million dollars that you'd easily become billionaires because it's that easy... right?

I have nothing against her or think she's dumb by any stretch of the imagination. But to simply say she managed to turn a few million and some marketing talents into a billion is disregarding such an obscene amount of other factors in her favour that it's not even funny. Like, if the requirements were that low, then we'd be seeing hundreds or thousands of young billionaires popping up all over the place

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I have nothing against her or think she's dumb by any stretch of the imagination. But to simply say she managed to turn a few million and some marketing talents into a billion is disregarding such an obscene amount of other factors in her favour that it's not even funny. Like, if the requirements were that low, then we'd be seeing hundreds or thousands of young billionaires popping up all over the place
That is what she did, though. She hired the right people to so the right jobs so she could make money. She didn't start off with 500 million and then double it. She turned millions into a billion. That takes more luck and skill than most people will want to admit. A silver spoon won't just give you a billion that easily.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is what she did, though. She hired the right people to so the right jobs so she could make money. She didn't start off with 500 million and then double it. She turned millions into a billion. That takes more luck and skill than most people will want to admit. A silver spoon won't just give you a billion that easily.

She did not turn a few millions and marketing talents into a billion. She just didn't. It's a pretty reductive and disingenuous way of presenting it. Did she have those things? Yes. Was that all she had? Obviously not, nor did she just so happen to be good at marketing. She quite literally grew up as a reality star surrounded by experts in traditional media, social media, and marketing. Some of these experts quite literally being her parents and siblings. Having access to all these people and firsthand experiences from an extremely young age is obviously a gigantic benefit if you're later gonna go into business, where those things are extremely important. Having access to all those people obviously also gives you connections you'd never get otherwise. In addition to that, her and her family is also extremely famous and have a very strong branding based on who they are. They're also able to directly reach literally hundreds of millions of people, just through their personal social media. And in addition to even that, she also looks extremely pretty, something that absolutely does not hurt when you're gonna launch beauty products.

Like honestly, writing that makes me feel like I'm writing some wiki article for the origins of some super overpowered character in an anime or something.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
She did not turn a few millions and marketing talents into a billion. She just didn't. It's a pretty reductive and disingenuous way of presenting it. Did she have those things? Yes. Was that all she had? Obviously not, nor did she just so happen to be good at marketing. She quite literally grew up as a reality star surrounded by experts in traditional media, social media, and marketing. Some of these experts quite literally being her parents and siblings. Having access to all these people and firsthand experiences from an extremely young age is obviously a gigantic benefit if you're later gonna go into business, where those things are extremely important. Having access to all those people obviously also gives you connections you'd never get otherwise. In addition to that, her and her family is also extremely famous and have a very strong branding based on who they are. They're also able to directly reach literally hundreds of millions of people, just through their personal social media. And in addition to even that, she also looks extremely pretty, something that absolutely does not hurt when you're gonna launch beauty products.

Like honestly, writing that makes me feel like I'm writing some wiki article for the origins of some super overpowered character in an anime or something.
That means all these use young starlets should be up there too in the billion dollar club, but they're not. There's more to it then just having connections. Connections help but it's still a race because you have to hoard wealth, it's just who does it better, and Kylie did it better.

Oct 25, 2017
Good for her. She didn't just sit on her families wealth. She made her own. People on here love to hate on rich people, but I have zero interest in socalism/communism. We are not all equal. Survival of the fittest.

Oct 27, 2017
Good for her. She didn't just sit on her families wealth. She made her own. People on here love to hate on rich people, but I have zero interest in socalism/communism. We are not all equal. Survival of the fittest.
Eye for an eye. Dog eat dog. Also lmao if you think you're ever getting to a $billion. Good luck my bro. Keep imitating life until you get to live it eh?