• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot emphasize enough how legit heart broken this makes me.

This is so crazy but I feel like I'm losing a family member.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was doing this so that he intentionally throws himself into the deep end.

Maybe he's wanted to make a move like this for a while but has been scared.

So he said fuck it, quit eza and moving out of LA, and now its sink or swim time.

Agreed. It can be very hard to pursue other endeavors when you have a certain level of comfort and stability. I think Kyle is forcing himself to invest in himself. It is definitely risky, but I can't help but respect it.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely understand wanting to grow and move on to your 'main thing' in life, but interesting that he's leaving before having that next step in place. I'd generally not consider that wise but each his own. Best of luck to him!

Although I'd normally agree with you, I get the sense that in the event it really doesn't work out, he'd be welcomed back with open arms. And sometimes taking the first step of leaving is what you need to get some change going.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Anyone have an inclination of what his passions are that might shed light on this "Main Thing"?

As a producer or script writer I'd imagine, he joined Gametrailers at a time when they were owned by MTV and had cross productions with Spike and their other departments. I'd guess he always saw himself working as a tv producer rather than becoming a gaming influencer but the defy acquisition and being laid off led him down another path.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The man's been the host of podcasts for this crew for the past 6 years or so. I'm not surprised he feels the need to move on. Good luck dude!

I am interested in how this shakes up the podcast. I know they're geographically miles apart and he's doing his own thing, but I'd have liked to have seen what Ben Hanson would do with the EZA podcast.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Holy shit, what sad news to come to...

Kinda crazy that he doesn't have something set up for himself but maybe he has some ideas at least.

Unless he is going to work for some other company/group I would think he has a good chance of doing his own patreon and can spend his time doing something like Bosman at home etc but I'm not sure if he has the desire for that anymore.

Either way, good luck to him in whatever he does.

Oct 27, 2017
Love Kyle. Wish him all the best.

Will up my EZA donation from $1 to $5 for a while.

Those early Final Bosman episodes ensured that Kyle would have a place in the collective memory of games media fans forever.
Or my memory at least.

Good luck. Take it easy and find what makes you happy.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I have a sinking feeling this won't be the only departure from EZA this year. Very turbulent times ahead for them.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

FHvLL6t.png

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Look I am still devastated by this, and I am not crazy about Jones hosting the pod, but that is ridiculous. One person can not tank that group, even if it is Bosman.
Well, we'll see. Everywhere I've seen talking about this has people saying they only really watch Kyle stuff, or that Kyle was the glue, or that Kyle was what was keeping them invested at all. Very obviously I hope that doesn't happen, but this definitely has potential for an outsized impact.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What? He did a full original animated series and made a complete Gameboy game since then but the best thing he's ever done is his very first? I say not.

Also, your putting your chips on him failing and coming back? That's a really shitty opinion.
I saw both of those, they were good, but he decided to not pursuit those endeavors anymore by himself, while he was pushed out of doing final bossman.

Also, how is he coming back to a place where he loved and adored a failure? He is not sharing plans, so he realizing that he was actually where he wanted is perfectly possible and good outcome.

Let's put on this perspective: is calling super Mario 3 the best game myamoto ever made offensive because he then proceeded to make games like wii play and star fox zero after that? Having the writers of the original half-life coming back to valve after leaving a admission that they failed in any capacity?

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
that sounds like some serious mid life crisis shit

hope he's ok
He's just not feeling professionally fulfilled, which is fine.

I don't want to get too presumptuous about the rest of the Allies, but it seems like they have ample opportunities to work on the skills that they would consider part of their career -- business admin, editorial management, VO, reviews, video editing, the tech side of livestreaming and staging, etc. These are skill investments that'll pay forward in the industry. But if Kyle isn't interested in the industry so much as the creativity and craft of writing, if he wants to be a segment producer, or a TV writer, or a creative lead on a larger project in the broader entertainment landscape, or whatever, he isn't really improving his opportunities by hosting a podcast with flat viewership, making occasional shows for a portion of said viewership, hanging out streaming, and grabbing Keighley gigs on an annual or bi-annual basis.

(Not that the flat podcast viewership is in any way indicative of the quality of the podcast or his work on it -- the YT algorithm is terrible at best and more generally just vile)

If EZA had rocketed to the top of the charts on YT and/or Twitch and it was something that he could use to transition forward, thing's would probably be different. But that's not really what EZA is, and after four years, it's totally understandable for Kyle to think that he's hit the ceiling with the company.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
This sucks, but I can understand where he's coming from. I truly wish him the best with whatever he does next.

My Patreon comment:

Duuuuuuuuuude!

I'll miss you and your french fries, but I also understand what you mean. Please give it your all, whatever it is that you're doing next. (Will you be more active on Twitter now? A lot of people will be very anxious to follow what you're up to.)

I'm not very active in this community, but I have to come out and express my gratitude for you. You've been a constant source good vibes for me ever since your first PS4 Do's and Dont's video from back in 2013, so I'm sending you al the love and respect I've built up for you throughout the years. This is gonna sound weird, since simply put you're just a funny guy talking about video games, but you've had a positive impact on my life, and I wouldn't be who I am today partly because of you.

Thank you so so much for everything Kyle!

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Well, we'll see. Everywhere I've seen talking about this has people saying they only really watch Kyle stuff, or that Kyle was the glue, or that Kyle was what was keeping them invested at all. Very obviously I hope that doesn't happen, but this definitely has potential for an outsized impact.

They'll definitely lose some subscribers and I wonder if it will be to the degree where they can't afford to have that new studio they moved into not that long ago.

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
Really gutted seeing this news. Kyle has been at the heart of so many great things at GT and EZA over the years and it's going to be a bit of shock to the system not seeing/hearing him every week as GT Time/EZA podcast has been a fixture in my week for several years now.

Will continue supporting and watching the rest of the allies as they're all great and hope Kyle finds great success in whichever venture he chooses next.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is devastating... this year is sucking some major balls.

Also, I honestly feel EZA's Patreon will downsize quite a bit as a result... they're in for some rough times...

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that really stings...the podcast just will not be the same. Group streams won't be the same. Betting specials won't be the same. This is a huge loss, for all of us :(

Everyone go watch Box Peek!

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

In a perfect world that tweet is a closing bit in a self-referntial farewell video where Kyle says goodbye to everyone in the office, packs his box of games, pokemon cards, unused scripts, and poptarts* and on the way out encounters Shu sitting on the couch in the green room where he delivers the ultimate ironic L&R troll to Kyle who walks out with a nod and a sad smile.

*the allies keep the toaster strudels because they agree those are better and the podcast segment will now work in reverse

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
I thought this was gonna say he got Corona, so good news that its not that.

But still... nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like he is just leaving to find himself and has no real plan what to do next.
Hope that's not the case and that there is somewhere he wants to arrive at, instead of just drifting around.
Maybe he needs some distance to understand what he had in the first place?

But I'm not him and only speculating here, so: Good luck on your travels.