• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's a real bummer.

I hope the zones are big enough when riding mons. I dont want to hit a bunch of loads screens or the ends of the area super quickly.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Now we are saying it was obvious it wasn't open world? Uh...The commanding opinion on here and in games journalism was that it was open world. We can't all be Nostradamus I guess.

It's because people want an excuse to crap on gamefreak some more that it's not open world. This doesn't make a huge difference but acting like it wasn't open world from the start is a huge red flag considering the trailers. Some of these posts are just straight up liars.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Bit of a shame to see that clarification, but eh. I'll probably still get it; see what the fuck Arceus is up to.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
That's a real bummer.

I hope the zones are big enough when riding mons. I dont want to hit a bunch of loads screens or the ends of the area super quickly.
1 area appears to be twice the size/scope of the Wild Area/Isle of Armor/Crown Tundra. There are 5 areas in the game

So we should be good

Last edited:

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
Yeah, this isn't really a deal-breaker for me, but I say that as someone who spent a lot of time with and really enjoyed Monster Hunter Stories 2.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
This is... honestly how I was hoping this game would be structured??
Understand the disappointment, but I feel like it should be expected that Game Freak wouldn't yet leap so fully into open world game design, with this being their first attempt at shifting the mainline Pokemon formula.

Them approaching fundamental change incrementally is pretty on brand for them, I think.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
1 area appears to be twice the size/scope of the Wild Area/Isle of Armor/Crown Tundra. There are 5 areas in the game

So we should be good

Now let's not assume all the areas are going to be the same size now. MHW showed off the Ancient Forest a lot in previews which was by far the biggest area of the game until Iceborne came along with the Hoarfrost Reach.

The other maps could be smaller or bigger, we don't know until they show them all.

rulerk1

Nov 14, 2017
Man people really don't like Monster hunter huh

if this game is like MH worlds then that would cool. Or are the mh games nothing like world environment wise

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the likelihood, once you beat the base story, it becomes one big open world for you to explore? Otherwise eh, it's still a breath of fresh air, but gamefreak still taking baby steps to move forwards.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I, honestly, followed this game since it was announced, checked the website and such, and never thought it would be something else than Open World.

Like, I'm not saying Nintendo/GameFreak have been misleading, or anything like that, but checking only the trailers, I would understand people would think it was the Breath of the Wild Pokémon everyone have been wishing for.

But, it's a Pokémon game which going to shake up the formula quite a bit, and I'm all for it, so even if it's not the Open World I could have been wishing for, I'm definitely still up for this adventure!

But I keep wondering, if it's like Monster Hunter (and the only one I've played is MH World) what will be the point of capturing Pokémons? Like, with one town, does this game will have gyms? Will we go on different roads meeting other trainers? Will we have other things than just quest to capture X or Y Pokémon? This news made me quite curious about the structure of the game, hopefully we will know more very soon.

Some of the Nintendo Era people started a new forum

Oh there's a dedicated Nintendo forum from the ERA members? Could you share the link with me (either here or using PM if you don't want it to be public), I would very like to find a Nintendo dedicated forum on top of ResetERA. Thank you. 🙏

DoctorChimp

Oct 6, 2020
Texas yall
Some of the Nintendo Era people started a new forum
Can you also PM me a link?

Man people really don't like Monster hunter huh

if this game is like MH worlds then that would cool. Or are the mh games nothing like world environment wise

MH games are cool. MH Rise in particular is superb. But just compare MHR to this Pokemon game...the visuals, lack of foliage, poor animations, lack of proper biomes and mons interacting organically. It's just a really cheap version of it.

At least if the game was open world, the cutbacks would be a bit more understandable. But segmented areas, there really is no excuse for what we're getting imo.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I, honestly, followed this game since it was announced, checked the website and such, and never thought it would be something else than Open World.

Like, I'm not saying Nintendo/GameFreak have been misleading, or anything like that, but checking only the trailers, I would understand people would think it was the Breath of the Wild Pokémon everyone have been wishing for.

But, it's a Pokémon game which going to shake up the formula quite a bit, and I'm all for it, so even if it's not the Open World I could have been wishing for, I'm definitely still up for this adventure!

But I keep wondering, if it's like Monster Hunter (and the only one I've played is MH World) what will be the point of capturing Pokémons? Like, with one town, does this game will have gyms? Will we go on different roads meeting other trainers? Will we have other things than just quest to capture X or Y Pokémon? This news made me quite curious about the structure of the game, hopefully we will know more very soon.

There are some trainers in the game, Wardens, they got revealed in the September update.

I assume the main gameplay loop will be to visit each new area, find pokemon and catch them to fill your pokedex and increase your galaxy team rank, find the wardens of the area, sort out the situation with their noble pokemon suffering from the frenzy, warden thanks you then gives you access to new area when solving their problem. Lather, rinse, repeat until Arceus.

And then after that you have the goal of attempting to complete every single challenge in your pokedex for all your pokemon.

WRRM7sKmEXHB3EtzJgEgLmbfdJpo35_H3EmzeJ_Ki0o.jpg

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
There are some trainers in the game, Wardens, they got revealed in the September update.

I assume the main gameplay loop will be to visit each new area, find pokemon and catch them to fill your pokedex and increase your galaxy team rank, find the wardens of the area, sort out the situation with their noble pokemon suffering from the frenzy, warden thanks you then gives you access to new area when solving their problem. Lather, rinse, repeat until Arceus.

And then after that you have the goal of attempting to complete every single challenge in your pokedex for all your pokemon.

WRRM7sKmEXHB3EtzJgEgLmbfdJpo35_H3EmzeJ_Ki0o.jpg

Thank you for the interesting resume. I indeed forgot the Wardens from the last trailer.

I'm a bit afraid this will make for a very linear structure, and I thought this game being off the main serie would allow them to go bold. I still hope for a surprise, and that there will be more to the story than just completing a number of tasks in a given area and the frenzy thing, even something as simple as Red/Blue story with the Team Rocket would be cool.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for the interesting resume. I indeed forgot the Wardens from the last trailer.

I'm a bit afraid this will make for a very linear structure, and I thought this game being off the main serie would allow them to go bold. I still hope for a surprise, and that there will be more to the story than just completing a number of tasks in a given area and the frenzy thing, even something as simple as Red/Blue story with the Team Rocket would be cool.

There may still be some choice on how you get to tackle things, you may get to a new area and there are 2 wardens to chase and you can chose which you wish to pursue, you may get access to the 3rd and 4th regions at the same time and can chose which of those in the order you desire.

That said though... I also thought Akala island in Sun and Moon could have been done in whichever order you wish for it's 3 trial leaders, but that turned out hyper linear so... I think it's a wait and see at the moment to be honest.

TheRealMoB

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 1, 2020
Shocked that people still had any hype for this after the last showing. Assuming the denial phase is now over

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
The expansion released the year after.
Game Freak is still developing Arceus.

The team that worked on the DLC was separate from that who made the base: different directors and the like. GF sets their own deadlines for stuff (they aren't really forced to do so by anyone, contrary to belief) and they have multiple teams to boot. Someone's very likely working on Gen 9 as well, and honest to god, I'm just looking forward to that more at this point, unless they use it as a spot for more bullshit experimentation

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
pretty sure that the lack of open world isn't the dealbreaker here, it's just gamefreak's "talent" at making 3D games

Oct 31, 2017
I just wish the world didn't feel so barren. It's pokemon, I want to feel excited and engaged in the world around me. Zelda gets a bit of a pass from me because it fits with the theme AND is incredibly pleasing to roam those rolling hills (not to mention true open world).

If they could just look at the anime and the since of wonder the series had when it launched and try and replicate that then they have a GOAT on their hands.

That said, still excited for this game more than any Pokémon game since OG sapphire.

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada
This gets me even more excited for it. That's the kind of "open" world I want.
So sick of endless worlds that have absolute fuck all to do in, and just drain hours

Oct 7, 2021
Honestly I wouldn't have minded at all but it just feels disingenuous to me that they didn't clarify earlier.....people have been calling it Pokemon of the Wild from the very beginning, so just a little disappointed

and yeah, it does make the graphics a little less acceptable. Was okay with it being so empty only because I thought it was a full open world like botw, knowing it is more comparable to monster hunter rise which just crushes it aesthetically in every regard....yeah....

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't have minded at all but it just feels disingenuous to me that they didn't clarify earlier.....people have been calling it Pokemon of the Wild from the very beginning, so just a little disappointed

Monster Hunter Rise went through Botw comparisons too so I never thought anything of it, seemed clear enough what it was earlier in the year.

jankuza

Jan 13, 2021
It's also possible that the Areas are connected.

Progression is possible tied to the Nobles. For example after you defeat Kleavor you can call it to use the "HM" Cut. So there could be a Mission to progress from Area 1 to Area 2 now that you can cut trees.

I think the idea that this game would feature on big open-world was cleared with the August Presentation. With the "your Exploration starts at a Basecamp" Sentence. Also your Hubtown is in the West, so in later areas it would be really annoying to go back there by foot. Or even while riding Pokemon. Some kind of fast traveling was obvious.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah I didnt think of Monster Hunter at all when I watched that last trailer, it sounded like base camps were like horse stables and wardens/ Nobles were like Champions / Divine Beasts. Ah well. My issues with Monster Hunter are largely how it feels to play, so it's not entirely a big deal. But segmented zones do still suck.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I think it's fine. I haven't played MH or whatever game they're comparing it to, but if it's something like Spyro where it has open levels / areas, and like a main base where you can access to each of them, that works for me.

What is more relevant I think is the evolution it shows from other Pokémon games. The gameplay, the camera, the openness of the battles, etc.
People are always comparing Pokémon to other franchises, but the comparison should be to older Pokémon games.

I don't know if we'll ever get a fully open world in Pokémon, nor I'm sure it would really work, but between Legends Arceus and the Wild Area / DLC's of SwSh, I think we can expect better things for Gen IX.

When I hear an open world Pokémon game, the first thing I think it's a game where you're a Pokémon, like Pikachu or maybe a few more other options, and you just go and explore the entire world, battling other Pokémon, exploring complex areas, like caves, waterfalls, etc Something like Mystery Dungeon, but open world lol

The formula of the main games just doesn't seem suitable to me for an open world, because it will always require this little bit of progression, where you have to level up your Pokémon, teach them moves, evolve them, etc, but also having the gyms or equivalents as these milestones you have to reach. It doesn't make sense to start in a town and then go to the farthest gym and be like, I want this to be my first badge, when your Pokémon will most likely be overpowered after crossing the entire region.

I don't know what similarities there will be between Legends and the traditional games, but I doubt it'll lack some degree of completion like I mentioned. Like it wouldn't make sense to allow us to go straight to Dialga and Palkia or Arceus, or any of the stronger Pokémon without first going for the Bidoof, Budew, Starly, etc. or whatever people want when they think of open world.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, now is a wait and see then.
Depending of how big are the areas, the graphics are seriously dissapointing.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
What this thread taught me that the only thing some people cared about with this game is it being Open World.

While I didn't think it wouldn't be Open World, or that it's obvious it isn't, I did notice - thinking back - them never really calling it Open World? Maybe I dream that up.

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
Somebody please clarify, by monster hunter like they mean you have to fast travel from the hub to the various segmented areas right and not different areas connected by load screen like metroidvanias?

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Considering if it was a huge open world, the majority of players would just fast travel everywhere, I'm not sure why smaller open areas brings the game down

Mar 30, 2019
Seems to be segmented open world, so what's the problem? The areas seem to be massive. Is it really that bad to have massive segmented open worlds compared to a single one? We are not talking about small seperated areas as far as it looks like but large ones.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Now that I've had more time to actually read this over, I'm very happy. Open world games are boring as hell usually, the segmented/open blend of MH is one of its big strengths - and fits Pokemon a lot better than straight open world would. If the individual areas are much bigger than the Wild Area/Isle of Armour/Crown Tundra and there's multiple of them, then there's going to be more than enough content in this.

I shit all over Sw/Sh in the lead up to it, but I'm getting nothing but positive signs out of Legends so far.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody please clarify, by monster hunter like they mean you have to fast travel from the hub to the various segmented areas right and not different areas connected by load screen like metroidvanias?
It's up in the air, but considering that Kotaku specifically compared it to Monster Hunter Rise, i'm going to assume it's a segmented world. Unlike Monster Hunter Rise where you have a Hub and missions take you to specific areas that you're forced in until the mission ends, Monster Hunter Stories connects each area through a loading screen (Xenoblade 1/2).

Given that TPC didn't specify Rise or Stories, it's still possible for them to take the traditional Monster Hunter approach. Better to wait and see closer to release.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

So we should be good

I think fans are worried about being forced back into the village because you have completed the objective.

Honestly I'm fine with the maps if they are all equal or near what we saw with the first screenshots... Looks good to me.

jankuza

Jan 13, 2021
There is a Mission List (aka multipal Quests at a Tour?) and no indication of a time limit and no Multiplayer. So it will be different than Monster Hunter. Just the HUB Village and Quests Side of MH.