Schnee

Oct 25, 2017

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
I just played through the series [plus most of Gears] and it was fantastic go through it all again. Looking forward to Halo 6 [on game pass].

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad that they did stick with it and try to fix it but it doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't have released in the state it did in the first place. This is not something we need to see more of going forward. Fact of the matter is if you burn a lot of your fans who buy the game early they probably aren't going to return 4 years later when you finally decide to fix it. Too many other things to play.

Seriously. I don't think this is something that should be congratulated in any way at all. The game was fundamentally broken and went years without updates to fix it. That we now have a functioning product that we purchased is really the bare minimum that we should expect.

You don't have to imagine. Ford never have fixed their Pinto and Bronco but found it cheaper to pay out settlements.
MS and 343 are definitely to blame for the poor launch, but you can see how MS has changed after Phil took over.
If only they can have Reach 4k in MCC and launch it on PC. Maybe announce it on E3 this year?

Wasn't Spencer already in charge when this was announced and released?

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
Not giving up on a game would make me think back to how FFXIV was closed down and rebuilt into a Realm Reborn. That game shipped in a terrible state, they accepted that and made it all over again. The MCC isn't even close to the same as they left it broken for a long time and it took them years to go back and start to fix the mess they left it in.

I'm glad it's in a better state now and maybe at some point I will give it another shot.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
They just couldn´t give up or the damage would have been even greater. It was originally meant to be an exquisitely presented virtual museum to showcase the flagship gaming saga from the most valuable company in the world, after all. And all of this during the arguable decline of the Halo brand and during a difficult and controversial generation for Xbox.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I hope every studio now will release unfinished games so we can thank them for fixing it after couple years
They shouldn't be applauded. It should be more of a stern "good, this is what it should have been when it launched". I enjoy seeing games turn it around such as siege or battlefront 2 but I still say they deserved the shit show and all the sales they lost as a result.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad they turned it around. The "Modern" aiming that just got patched in is a literal gamechanger for H2/H3.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Playing the series for the first time on the X (just started 2) and I'm still dropping my jaw every time I instantly switch from classic to remastered 1/2. How.

How does it keep both all loaded at any time?! And it's gorgeous in 4K.

I lurked in all MCC threads since its release so I kind of read about the state of multiplayer back then, but apart from missing Reach I think everyone praised the work on porting all campaigns?

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Playing the series for the first time on the X (just started 2) and I'm still dropping my jaw every time I instantly switch from classic to remastered 1/2. How.

How does it keep both all loaded at any time?! And it's gorgeous in 4K.

I lurked in all MCC threads since its release so I kind of read about the state of multiplayer back then, but apart from missing Reach I think everyone praised the work on porting all campaigns?
Back then, you would often struggle to stay in the same game over online co-op campaign. All sorts of desync errors and the like. Some achievements didn't unlock/update until much later too.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
They had to make this stuff right to keep moving the series forward. I'm glad they went above and beyond even if it took way too long to make it right.

cluto

Oct 25, 2017
It's received atleast 3 or 4 major updates. The first one fixed the game and brought in 4k and HDR support. Since then new features have been added including new UI elements, Matchmainjg Composer and modern aiming. More updates are planned including a Custom Game Browser.
I looked into this. October 13, 2015 was the last "Content Update" apparently; halo.wiki.com doesn't even include the October 2015 one (only up to May 2015), which is why I didn't know about it until now. As far as I can tell (because there's no wiki detailing these new updates), August 27, 2018 was the first major update since they returned to the game. Players had to wait 2.87 years between updates -- almost exactly the same amount of time between Halo 2 and Halo 3's release dates.

Let's applaud 343 though, guys.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not giving up on a game would make me think back to how FFXIV was closed down and rebuilt into a Realm Reborn. That game shipped in a terrible state, they accepted that and made it all over again. The MCC isn't even close to the same as they left it broken for a long time and it took them years to go back and start to fix the mess they left it in.

I'm glad it's in a better state now and maybe at some point I will give it another shot.
The MCC was literally remade again.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
It being a far better game than it launched isnt much of an achievement considering how broken it got released.

But good on them for giving people years later what they actually paid for.

Deleted member 15497

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Or just dont release it until its finished?

A lot of people, me included, preordered that shit and I lost interest by the time it was fixed.

Shouldnt be praising them for shit like this.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
It being a far better game than it launched isnt much of an achievement considering how broken it got released.

But good on them for giving people years later what they actually paid for.
They are actually adding new stuff now, composer, better aiming and custom game browser and new skulls. They aren't done either.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of disingenuous hyperbole around here.

The collection was fully content complete at launch, the MP is what suffered due to horrendous coding.

The campaigns were a collection of some of the greatest games of all time running at the highest fidelity ever released at a time (with some bugs, personally I played through all 4 without a single bug as did mang, not discounting anybody who did experience bugs though), as well as an amazingly faithful remake of Halo 2.

They not only followed up on their fuck up, they are going BEYOND what they messed up and improving a lot of what was already functioning. Composer, modern aiming, custom playlists and server browser, seasonal themes, even esports circuits. It's no longer a collection but a platform now.

It's easy to come into a thread and shit post because everybody else is, but actually researching the topic and reading the article is apparently not a lot of your strong points.

And this is coming from THE MOST disappointed Halo fan when this game launched.

Kudos to 343 to making good, despite a quite obviously unforgiving audience of gamers.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not congratulating this in the slightest, they released a broken product that they took forever to fix.

I see a lot of disingenuous hyperbole around here.

The collection was fully content complete at launch, the MP is what suffered due to horrendous coding.

The campaigns were a collection of some of the greatest games of all time running at the highest fidelity ever released at a time, as well as an amazingly faithful remake of Halo 2.

They not only followed up on their fuck up, they are going BEYOND what they messed up and improving a lot of what was already functioning. Composer, modern aiming, custom playlists and server browser, seasonal themes, even esports circuits. It's no longer a collection but a platform now.

It's easy to come into a thread and shit post because everybody else is, but actually researching the topic and reading the article is apparently not a lot of your strong points.

And this is coming from THE MOST disappointed Halo fan when this game launched.

Yeah they only royally fucked up the biggest part of Halo. They did a terrible job and released a broken product. Them fixing it years later is not praise worthy at all. Congrats on actually doing what you should have done from the beginning, I guess. If the game was just the campaings then you'd have a point, but you don't.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It just sucks that the population will never be what it could have at launch or thereafter. I cant help but feel as if we could have learned a lot about where populations lie in regards to the old vs new halos. Never the less good on 343 for fixing this. This franchise didnt deserve the release it got at launch.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad they updated it. When it came out broken and seemingly abandoned after a year or so it had me worried about the priorities at 343 and Xbox. If that's how they treat one of their top IP then I can only imagine how everything else they're making is being treated.

A lot of the Xbox team's moves over the last year have been fantastic and I'm genuinely excited to see what they do next. And Halo Infinite has my attention, I hope they deliver something special. Glad to be able to say all that after a few really rough years.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
That is all well and good but we shouldn't really be celebrating that something was fixed two years later like everything is forgiven. You can't really expect consumers to be able to forgive companies who launch games when they are not ready and take tons of time to fix. I bought Diablo 3 at launch and gave up on it in vanilla after it was clear that it was not a great game. Blizzard from all reports fixed a lot of problems with the game but I had moved on.

Going back to a game after you have soured on it is not going to happen for a lot of people.

While I understand the sentiment, shit happens. My favorite authors, filmmakers, developers, etc... have all turned out work that wasn't as good as it could've been, and in gaming, that can be fixed. It's like abstinence-only sex ed; it feels good to say "don't release a game if it has technical issues" but realistically, that's going to happen. I'm glad Siege, NMS, The Division, MCC, etc... exist to show companies that it's worth it for them to listen to feedback and spend resources on updating their products. It's not free to put man-hours toward updates, but I want developers to be incentivized to do so. Otherwise, why should they? The naive answer would be "because it's good for the consumer" or some other empty platitude, but businesses run on cold, hard cash.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I dislike the trend of release games unfinished and finishing it later. All three console makers are guilty of this (splatoon 1, gran turismo sport, and this)

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I looked into this. October 13, 2015 was the last "Content Update" apparently; halo.wiki.com doesn't even include the October 2015 one (only up to May 2015), which is why I didn't know about it until now. As far as I can tell (because there's no wiki detailing these new updates), August 27, 2018 was the first major update since they returned to the game. Players had to wait 2.87 years between updates -- almost exactly the same amount of time between Halo 2 and Halo 3's release dates.

Let's applaud 343 though, guys.

Funny how you are ignoring the updates released in November and last week where they not only continue to improve it but also add new features to the game.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-november-update

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-january-update

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
MCC is an amazing package of games.

Buuuuuut I also never noticed any issues with it because I only ever cared about multiplayer Halo back in 2001 with Combat Evolved.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they stuck it out and fixed it... but I'm in the camp of "you don't get praise for taking money day one, then eventually delivering on promises much much later."

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Siege was never any more grindy or sleazy than it was the year after or now. It was always a great game, there was an impression that it lacked content for the long haul and game journos were wrong in that guess. Probably they put very little value into depth.

Saying all this for MCC and not making a larger stink about how these games shouldn't release half busted or in the case of MCC; full busted is counter productive. That game could have done even better, and it was far less playable than siege ever was.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Man this is tempting to get an xbox. I love the original trilogy so much..

cluto

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't ignore them, dingle. I was measuring the years between when they stopped updating the game and when they started working on it again.
That wasn't your question though, your question was

How many proper non-beta updates have released between May 2015 and now?

You are acting like 343 Industries deliberately set out to release a broken product (they did not), and while it should never be forgotten how much of a mess it was at launch that does not mean we cannot acknowledge the current state of it and the work they continue to put into the collection.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
yes, it was shit at launch. and now it's a lot better

but the absolute worst part of the whole situation was the near-total silence from 343 when they were inundated with inquiries about whether they were going to fix it. if they promised, right after the botched launch, that they were going to do everything in their power to make things right, and gave their customers a plan and a roadmap of when/what/how they were going to make sure matchmaking works properly, then you wouldn't see a lot of the bitterness in the posts in this thread and others about "TOO LATE, NEVER SHOULD HAVE LAUNCHED THIS WAY"

there was a period where it looked like 343 was going to leave things the way they were because there was no announcement of "hey guys hold on we're working on a fix" which maybe would have caused people to be more patient. to players who were still dealing with issues this inactivity pretty much looked like 343 was telling them "fuck you, we know the game doesn't work for you, but we're doing nothing about it, we already have your money."

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, they brought MCC back to have the Halo base covered for XBX, any future hardware and Game Pass. It wasn't a charity or a gesture of good will, they saw an opportunity and seized it. Not that is bad, mind you. I enjoyed it my ride with it once the 4k Patches hit.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't get props for releasing a broken game and having it work a decade later.
I don't think you know what a decade is.

but the absolute worst part of the whole situation was the near-total silence from 343 when they were inundated with inquiries about whether they were going to fix it. if they promised, right after the botched launch, that they were going to do everything in their power to make things right, and gave their customers a plan and a roadmap of when/what/how they were going to make sure matchmaking works properly, then you wouldn't see a lot of the bitterness in the posts in this thread and others about "TOO LATE, NEVER SHOULD HAVE LAUNCHED THIS WAY"

there was a period where it looked like 343 was going to leave things the way they were because there was no announcement of "hey guys hold on we're working on a fix" which maybe would have caused people to be more patient. to players who were still dealing with issues this inactivity pretty much looked like 343 was telling them "fuck you, we know the game doesn't work for you, but we're doing nothing about it, we already have your money."
343i did know if they were going back to MCC or not, you can't give a yes or no answer if you are not sure.

cluto

Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't your question though, your question was

You are acting like 343 Industries deliberately set out to release a broken product (they did not), and while it should never be forgotten how much of a mess it was at launch that does not mean we cannot acknowledge the current state of it and the work they continue to put into the collection.
Yes, but the original point I was making in this thread was how long the game was abandoned. It wasn't four years (what I said). It wasn't 2 years (what you said). It was 2.87 years.

That is still an unacceptable amount of time, and they don't deserve praise for turning in their homework and some extra credit 3 years late.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't something that should be praised. It sets up a dangerous precedent that's already a problem as is.

"Thank you for fixing your game that was launched x years ago."

Should/Will we say the same thing about Fallout 76 in the future if and when all these problems are addressed? Because we shouldn't.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

They didn't because they couldn't. As soon as they knew they were able to commit the resources to fixing it they announced what was planned.

If they had announced that a fix was coming and it turned out that it wasn't coming, that would have resulted in a massive hit to 343's reputation and trust within the community.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but the original point I was making in this thread was how long the game was abandoned. It wasn't four years (what I said). It wasn't 2 years (what you said). It was 2.87 years.

That is still an unacceptable amount of time, and they don't deserve praise for turning in their homework and some extra credit 3 years late.
I disagree, if there is no positive reaction to something like this, then no other developer/publisher would do something similar to support other old and broken games. It's not excusing broken games at launch either and people need to quit making that shit point. If anything it's a deterrent to releasing broken games.

jem

Oct 25, 2017

Read Frankie's posts on waypoint re. the issue (https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...xt/32dd5e4a-1001-4aae-b51b-22c091e8d21a/posts).

It seems they literally couldn't completely fix the game until some platform changes occured on the Xbox OS side of things.