Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
8e80b09cea35f1b66cdb45502fdf643c.jpg

"For my health I had to leave," Frank Maurer, the store's recently promoted manager, told Kotaku in a phone interview. The stress and anxiety were so bad he had trouble sleeping and wasn't even enjoying games anymore. He said he only started working there in late 2021, and while at first it was fun, it quickly turned into a nightmare between the lack of resources and management's strict quotas. To put up with it Maurer said he was paid $17 an hour, just $2 over the entry level rate at the nearby Target, while those under him made only $9, Nebraska's minimum wage.

He also claimed he was never properly trained by the company on any of the new responsibilities he was given as manager, nor given the resources and time to train others at the store. At one point he said he had to work over two weeks straight with no days off just to keep the store functioning.

"When I asked for support I was met with silence," Maurer said.
A similar walkout sign taped to Lincoln, Nebraska's other GameStop earlier this year also blamed the district manager for the mass resignation. "There have actually been four walkouts since august 2021 because of him," wrote one former employee on Facebook. "Two at each location. The first ones were kept pretty quiet though."

When asked about the prospect of unionizing amid huge labor pushes at Starbucks, Amazon, and Apple, as well as recent efforts in the larger gaming industry, Maurer said he can't see it ever happening. Like every other current and former GameStop employee I've spoken with in the past year, he feels turnover is too high and management too ruthless for anything like that to ever get off the ground.

kotaku.com

Overworked GameStop Employees Walk Out, Tell Gamers To Shop Elsewhere

GameStop faces employee walkouts even as meme stock soars

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
When I worked at GameStop, it was policy at my store to go into payroll before everything was submitted on Saturday night and delete any overtime hours anyone had accrued. There were days when I went to work on a busy, understaffed Saturday, and then went home and knew I would have fewer hours worked that week at the end of the day.

Fuck GameStop.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, despite the staff's best efforts, we are not god.

All for the best. That's a good way to be attacked and dethroned.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
When I worked at GameStop, it was policy at my store to go into payroll before everything was submitted on Saturday night and delete any overtime hours anyone had accrued. There were days when I went to work on a busy, understaffed Saturday, and then went home and knew I would have fewer hours worked that week at the end of the day.

Fuck GameStop.

This is HYPER against the law. Not that that stops them - but a simple anonymous complaint to your state or city's labor department would have fixed that quickly. They actually do tend to take matters this extremely seriously. Just FYI for the future.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
A lot of people will make this about the company overall but it sounds like the problem here is a really shitty district manager who likely won't be around for much longer after this publicity.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Jesus, this sucks but is no surprise. It's also bizarre just seeing the immense drop in business in the past several years. My local store used to be so busy and now it's a ghost town every time I go in.

I hope those people get picked up at much better positions.

EDIT:

Holy shit, $17/hour as store manager? Jesus I worked that starting out as a lab technician and started at $20 as a paralegal in a small ass town. That's horrible.

A lot of people will make this about the company overall but it sounds like the problem here is a really shitty district manager who likely won't be around for much longer after this publicity.

Apparently this guy was responsible for four walk outs overall; I think his stability in his position still says a lot about his bosses who kept him around.

Last edited:

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Well deserved walk out by the workers, they at least had the decency to be as transparent as possible with the sign. I haven't shopped in person in a Gamestop in a really long time.

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
I worked at Gamestop for EIGHT years! Once I finally started finishing up my degree, I got an internship at a food company and immediately made more money than I ever had at Gamestop. Fuck 'em.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
This is HYPER against the law. Not that that stops them - but a simple anonymous complaint to your state or city's labor department would have fixed that quickly. They actually do tend to take matters this extremely seriously. Just FYI for the future.
Oh, I know. Wage theft is the most common form of theft.

I was younger and dumb and felt like I needed that job.

I remember one day when the assistant manager, about to quit and sobbing, begged me to promise her I would never work for free. I promised her, and then I did anyway.

Oct 30, 2017
Nearly all district managers who work retail are notoriously terrible to work with and often far too demanding of their subordinates. Their employment depends on the success of the stores they oversee so they have a very personal stake in it. It is not unheard of for DMs to just churn through employees and management as long as it means his stores stay in the black.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
I worked for GS 10 or so years ago and it was awful. I loved interacting with customers and talking games with people, but upper/corporate management was awful. We had strict numbers we HAD to hit. If you had a great week or month, no one cared, and it was always "we need you to do better". There was no winning. You had sub numbers, pre-orders, warranties, etc. I worked in a smaller area where people still bought used PS2 games in mass so hitting number goals was hard. I hated it. There was 0 recognition for doing good work (aside from a couple good store managers I had but their hands were tied most of the time).

Oct 29, 2017
As a former Gamestop assistant manager for years, nice. Some district managers really, really sucked. The regional manager was even worse, anytime he'd come by. Absolutely no knowledge of how to run the store and yet insisted on everything changing to meet his specifications. Awful experience anytime they came by.

Proud of this store and the team that walked out.

Oct 28, 2017
Nearly all district managers who work retail are notoriously terrible to work with and often far too demanding of their subordinates. Their employment depends on the success of the stores they oversee so they have a very personal stake in it. It is not unheard of for DMs to just churn through employees and management as long as it means his stores stay in the black.

Can attest to this. Was assistant manager at a store in Phoenix where on a phone call our DM chewed us out for not leading the area in Fifa preorders and that it should be "fucking simple to accomplish" because our location is full of Mexicans. I quit about 3 weeks later when I found a new job and the manager quit shortly after.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It is a company thing. Minimum wage for everyone but the store leader. No hours for any store. Can't train new hires, but expect them to run the store like they've worked there for years. I left there two years ago, not a single Store Leader from my district, at the time, is still working there. No walkouts here, but turnover is insanely high, and the company won't fix it. They haven't given raises to store level employees since 2018.

Oct 27, 2017

Fuck GameStop.
I remember my manager arguing with me that I didn't get over time working Midnight Launches, because 8 hours is on one day, and the next 2-4 hours after midnight count as another day. Man, fuck that company. I did enjoy the shit out of it in High School when I had my whole friend group hired, but as we grew older and wiser that place was shit.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Gamestop would have gone into bankruptcy and shut down this year if it wasn't for the insane meme stock stuff which let them raise ~$1.5b which should cover them for years. They still have no real viable strategy to stay in business long term though. The dumb quick-get-rich-scheme right now is "we'll do NFTs" but they are entering a market that is essentially wiped out.

They still have over 4000 stores in the USA which is kinda nuts. I think my town still has something like 20 gamestops around, although they did shut down a few that were literally 1 mile apart from each other. Their locations are generally terrible too and ignore the growth many suburbs have experienced in the past decade, so you get clusters of gamestops in areas that made sense 20 years ago but don't anymore.

Oct 27, 2017

Fuck GameStop.
I had to do the same thing Saturday nights when I was an ASM. Also, when I opened I usually was taking my breaks 6 or so hours into my shift since the manager would saunter in at least two hours late every day. Oh, and we didn't get time and a half on Sundays since we were classified as a "Small Business".

To echo what you said: Fuck GameStop. With a sideways schoolbus.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
looks like anyone can just go in the store and get what they want? lol

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
We had strict numbers we HAD to hit. If you had a great week or month, no one cared, and it was always "we need you to do better". There was no winning. You had sub numbers, pre-orders, warranties, etc.
That's every sales environment TBF.

The difference here is that the targets will be unrealistic and impossible to hit, because nobody goes to shops to buy games anymore.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
Apparently this guy was responsible for four walk outs overall; I think his stability in his position still says a lot about his bosses who kept him around.
Publicity is the key difference. People know what this store is and thus what DM is responsible. I would be surprised if he's still there by the end of the day, no matter who higher up likes him. Nobody survives making the company look this bad.

It is a company thing. Minimum wage for everyone but the store leader. No hours for any store. Can't train new hires, but expect them to run the store like they've worked there for years. I left there two years ago, not a single Store Leader from my district, at the time, is still working there. No walkouts here, but turnover is insanely high, and the company won't fix it. They haven't given raises to store level employees since 2018.
You're both preaching to the choir, trust me. But the wrong thing to do is to take a story like this and use it to craft a narrative more than what it is. Every retail DM cares more about profits than the employees. Nobody cares about us. It's a shitty job. But there are plenty who are smart enough to realize that pushing your people to their breaking point isn't the best way to recover losses.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
This comment hits home for me. I lost my job two weeks ago, pulled into the office a few hours prior to store open (I was the Store Manager) and was unceremoniously dismissed. In the 2 years I was in role, seven other stores in our district had turned over their SLs, so it didn't come as a complete surprise, it was something that was always in the back of my mind on a daily basis.

Simple fact is, regardless of how good you are at your job, in retail, if the DM sucks, you're in trouble.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
I remember my manager arguing with me that I didn't get over time working Midnight Launches, because 8 hours is on one day, and the next 2-4 hours after midnight count as another day. Man, fuck that company. I did enjoy the shit out of it in High School when I had my whole friend group hired, but as we grew older and wiser that place was shit.

At least in my state, overtime doesn't care how many hours you work on a specific day. So you're both wrong I think. It only matters if you work more than 40 hours. If I'm wrong, let me know!

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018
They've been unprofitable every quarter since 2019 and with stuff like the recent revelation that 80% of PS4 sales is now digital I don't see how they pull themselves out of the downtrend. They're surviving because of meme-stock shenanigans and taking advantage of it, but that's not sustainable especially if a recession happens. I hope their rank-and-file employees find better opportunities elsewhere.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean maybe pay entry level associates $15 min, and the store manager $25-30 per hour and they'd not have so many walkouts. The whole org could mandate better pay

Oct 27, 2017
They've been unprofitable every quarter since 2019 and with stuff like the recent revelation that 80% of PS4 sales is now digital I don't see how they pull themselves out of the downtrend. They're surviving because of meme-stock shenanigans and taking advantage of it, but that's not sustainable especially if a recession happens. I hope their rank-and-file employees find better opportunities elsewhere.
i believe that didn't actually mean ps4 game sales were 80/20, it included all micro transactions and dlc. For games only, I think it was like 60/40 or 65/35.

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
Good for them. Fuck GameStop.

Still salty that I went into one for the first time in five years, found a copy of the SMTV steelbook, they tried handing me a mock, sharpie written case instead of the one I brought up to them, and then got upset when I passed on buying it.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Needs to happen at my place of work too. I got til the Friday after next and I'm leaving that hellhole.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean maybe pay entry level associates $15 min, and the store manager $25-30 per hour and they'd not have so many walkouts. The whole org could mandate better pay
The problem is capitalism as a whole. The entire point is to maximize profits for those at the top at the expense of everything else while chasing this impossible fantasy of infinite growth. It's basically a giant pyramid scheme.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
That's every sales environment TBF.

The difference here is that the targets will be unrealistic and impossible to hit, because nobody goes to shops to buy games anymore.

Oh, for sure! That's why I will never work in sales again. It was just doubly frustrating because of the area we were in. No one pre-ordered, a lot of customers were lower(ish) class who would never pre-order or never spend enough for them to justify a sub. You'd work your ass off to get decent numbers and no one would ever notice. Plus, they never gave stores hours so, unless you were part of management, you'd be lucky to get 10 hours a week. I also constantly worked alone.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I'm pretty sure this is going to happen at a local one nearby as chill as the environment is I swear the manager there is always trying to push people into buying the dang memberships and stuff even if they're just going in for a Funko pop or things like that...

I avoid that store whenever he's there because he absolutely tried to sign me up for two additional years for my stupid pro membership when I was like 2 months into the year -_- like, I notice this extra $30 charge fool...

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
At least in my state, overtime doesn't care how many hours you work on a specific day. So you're both wrong I think. It only matters if you work more than 40 hours. If I'm wrong, let me know!
I think everywhere would not care about what date, what matters is the consecutive hours you work.

Dec 23, 2017
At my local Gamestop, most of the time there would only be one person behind the counter and the phone would ring every few seconds while they're trying to help customers in the store at the same time. All the while trying to sell customers on Power Up Rewards membership, I see it as a very stressful job.

They get a lot of rude people showing up too.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
Sure but they won't. And maybe it's just me but I've never worked a retail job that starts floor workers at more than minimum wage.
No corporation anywhere is going to give you more than they think they can get away with. The solution is to force them to by raising the minimum wage everywhere. Of course then they'll just cut hours more and force people to work alone for even longer to compensate. The whole system is broken.
But now we're talking about a different issue, you know?

Meanwhile, a more immediate thing to do is to talk about better systems to hold bad managers responsible. Just going "lol gamestop sucks" doesn't solve either problem though, you know?