Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
They need some major help and massive restructuring on the management and executive level with lots and lots of assistance and education. This is a case where EA being hands off was very much not a good thing. Seems without the Doctors those left in charge were ill equipped and not fit for leadership at all.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Holy fuck at that depression and anxiety bit with some people locking themselves into rooms and crying. The last 10 years or so broke this fucking studio.
It's absolutely not an arbitrary time period. EA is one if not the single biggest reason to push for unionization in the industry.

What I don't understand about Schrier's article is how he can definitively absolve EA of blame but immediately point to the hardships of using their engine for most of a decade leading to... hardships.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sheesh, what a mess.

Apart from the issues with the game engine, this stuck out to me, and was seemingly glossed over a bit.

Over the months, Anthem had begun naturally picking up ideas and mechanics from loot shooters like The Division and Destiny

Why?, was it simply a case of "we need a GaaS" and/or "keeping up with the current trends"?, why not just make the game you want to make and not try to jump onto the coat tails of the latest fad?, was the confidence shaken by Andromeda? or did they simply just not have a core gameplay loop that made the game compelling to play?

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Again. They can patch the game until they are blue in the face, has zero bugs, and runs 4K/60 FPS on the X and Pro and it won't change a dam thing. The underlying gameplay systems are just plain bad, and done better in every looter shooter going back to Borderlands 1.

Bioware Response
OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Bioware Responded

We'd like to take a moment to address an article published this morning about BioWare, and Anthem's development. First and foremost, we wholeheartedly stand behind every current and former member of our team that worked on the game, including leadership. It takes a massive amount of effort, energy and dedication to make any game, and making Anthem would not have been possible without every single one of their efforts. We chose not to comment or participate in this story because we felt there was an unfair focus on specific team members and leaders, who did their absolute best to bring this totally new idea to fans. We didn't want to be part of something that was attempting to bring them down as individuals. We respect them all, and we built this game as a team.

We put a great emphasis on our workplace culture in our studios. The health and well-being of our team members is something we take very seriously. We have built a new leadership team over the last couple of years, starting with Casey Hudson as our GM in 2017, which has helped us make big steps to improve studio culture and our creative focus. We hear the criticisms that were raised by the people in the piece today, and we're looking at that alongside feedback that we receive in our internal team surveys. We put a lot of focus on better planning to avoid "crunch time," and it was not a major topic of feedback in our internal postmortems. Making games, especially new IP, will always be one of the hardest entertainment challenges. We do everything we can to try and make it healthy and stress-free, but we also know there is always room to improve.

As a studio and a team, we accept all criticisms that will come our way for the games we make, especially from our players. The creative process is often difficult. The struggles and challenges of making video games are very real. But the reward of putting something we created into the hands of our players is amazing. People in this industry put so much passion and energy into making something fun. We don't see the value in tearing down one another, or one another's work. We don't believe articles that do that are making our industry and craft better.

Our full focus is on our players and continuing to make Anthem everything it can be for our community. Thank you to our fans for your support – we do what we do for you.

http://blog.bioware.com/2019/04/02/anthem-game-development/

Oct 25, 2017
They need some major help and massive restructuring on the management and executive level with lots and lots of assistance and education. This is a case where EA being hands off was very much not a good thing. Seems without the Doctors those left in charge were ill equipped and not fit for leadership at all.

Yea EA definitely needs to rethink the policy regarding frostbite. But everything else just seems like a bioware issue. They need to change.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if Bioware can survive making another AAA game

They basically need a complete restructure and the frostbite initiative needs to die now

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Performance was bad, loot was sparse and boring and there just wasn't anything to do at end game. I actually quite liked the story which most people didn't, and the gameplay was pretty fun, who doesn't want to be Iron Man? But in the end I just had no reason to log in once I'd finished the story.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Frostbite strikes again ofc as expected.
Plus the mismanagement and indecisiveness

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
"I actually cannot count the amount of 'stress casualties' we had on Mass Effect: Andromeda or Anthem," said a third former BioWare developer in an email. "A 'stress casualty' at BioWare means someone had such a mental breakdown from the stress they're just gone for one to three months. Some come back, some don't."
this is just unfair and inhuman

Desless1

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I actually love the game, and play it often as I can...

But this read is really brutal, an amazingly good piece.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An article more awaited than the game itself. Since the first alpha some things felt really off, despite many things looking and seeming right. Just like with Destiny, those alphas and betas did indeed show the game's shortcomings. And even then, Destiny was at least a game working mostly well without major flaws aside from the progression system and the endgame. Can't wait to dig into this article.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
But that's only if you refer to the PS4 version, which has a mere 27 reviews aggregated. The PC version has a higher score of 59 via 72 reviews aggregated.

Yeah I don't understand why journalists still quote Metacritic especially for multiplatform games where the split is stupid
While OpenCritic has 145 reviews for Anthem and average score of 61

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The creative process is often difficult. The struggles and challenges of making video games are very real. But the reward of putting something we created into the hands of our players is amazing.
Yeah, no. What the fuck is this.

"your depression, broken marriage and health problems are bad and all, but the players though, all those smiling little faces"

just no

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely not an arbitrary time period. EA is one if not the single biggest reason to push for unionization in the industry.

What I don't understand about Schrier's article is how he can definitively absolve EA of blame but immediately point to the hardships of using their engine for most of a decade leading to... hardships.

Because while EA should definitely rethink their policy regarding Frostbite. A lot of these issues don't seem to be a result of that. Sure it didn't help.

But how does a game be in dev for 7 years, but doesn't go into production until 18 months before it ships? the article cites narrative changes etc. It seems to me they never really had a true vision for the game. Bioware leadership didn't listen to feedback and this is the result.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
At the beginning, they called it Dylan. In late 2012 and 2013, while finishing up the Mass Effect trilogy, BioWare director Casey Hudson and a small team of longtime Mass Effect developers started work on a project that they hoped would be the Bob Dylan of video games, meaning something that would be referenced by video game fans for years to come.

oh no

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
does anyone worry about the future of Bioware, Bethesda and Rockstar after their 3 latest AAA games?

I mention Rockstar, because although RDR 2 is a masterpiece, it didn't do as well sales wise to what was expected after the Juggernaut of GTA V if I am correct

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy fuck the parts about people's mental health and breackdowns at bioware. That sounds fucking unimaginable. Unionization needs to happen now.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Jesus. All those interviews the devs have done over the last few years have basically been them trying to save face. I wish that the industry wasn't so focused on smoke and mirrors, and that if studios are going through this much trouble we wouldn't have to hear it after the fact.
Wouldn't an article like this continue to encourage them to improve their studio culture even further though? I know it mustn't be a nice read for them but still.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd definitely heard on the down-low back when the game was announced that development was a complete mess, so reading that there was this much stuff going on behind closed doors is enlightening but not all that surprising.

Really hope BioWare can get at least one more classic out of the door, because the double bill of Andromeda + Anthem is an almost hopeless fall from grace considering the studio pedigree.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ultimately, the situation behind the development for this game should be a cautionary tale for other developers/publishers.

It sounds as if everything that could (and quite honestly, shouldn't) have gone wrong did.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
This article made me physically ill.

What in the name of holy fuck in this, Bioware? How the hell can you go from the developers of Mass Effect trilogy to this depression-inducing cluterfuck of incopetence and ineptitude?

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
"One was that in 2016, the FIFA games had to move to Frostbite. The annual soccer franchise was EA's most important series, bringing in a large chunk of the publisher's revenue, and BioWare had programmers with Frostbite experience, so Electronic Arts shifted them to FIFA"

Wow!
This article definitely puts frostbite, and ea management back into the ire of fans

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
From the beginning, Anthem's senior leadership had made the decision to start from scratch for a large part of the game's technology rather than using all of the systems the company had built for Inquisition and Andromeda. Part of this may have been a desire to stand out from those other teams, but another explanation was simple: Anthem was online. The other games were not. The inventory system that BioWare had already designed for Dragon Age on Frostbite might not stand up in an online game, so the Anthem team figured they'd need to build a new one. "Towards the end of the project we started complaining," said one developer. "Maybe we would've gone further if we had Dragon Age: Inquisition stuff. But we're also just complaining about lack of manpower in general."
This right here just tells you how mismanaged this whole thing was.
Definitely sounds like the same leadership that thought the Mass Effect 3 ending was acceptable. Bioware died to me back in 2012.
That person was Casey Hudson, aka the guy who invented Mass Effect. Hate it all you want, but it's his universe to create a disappointing ending to.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic read, great article, Jason.

Yet another example that game development is hard and that people making the decisions at the top don't always know best. Seems like the old BioWare is truly dead.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
oiy0aMt.jpg

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading this, EA's continued insistence on using Frostbite just seems so incredibly myopic. How can they not have the self-reflection after repeated issues over and over again? Even in their most successful products, such as FIFA, it has reared its ugly head.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
"Frostbite is like an in-house engine with all the problems that entails—it's poorly documented, hacked together, and so on—with all the problems of an externally sourced engine"

How is this still an issue, particularly the poor documentation? EA should put together a Frostbite tech team to pull together documentation and offer assistance whenever there's a weak area that needs improvement. The engine is a major part of their output, it should be a major focus for them - bigger than the current team they're devoting to it.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
"Beyond" was also their working title for Mass Effect Andromeda for a while. Mike Gamble said this back in 2017.

Just shows how much BioWare has been scrapping since Inquisition, running from project to project and scrambling things together from across their different projects, all hands (all 3, now 2 BioWares) on deck :/

Either EA sets too aggressive expectations on them or BioWare's just overambitious (aka terrible) with their own promises and scheduling.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I've been waiting for this. A good few years sooner than I figured though. Going to dive in later this evening

WhippyLizard

Nov 1, 2017
nearly seven years in development, what the......

As a developer (non game) I am on year 5 of a software overhaul. My team was 12 strong 5 years ago. Now, it's Just me.

I get the same feedback that Bioware is getting (wtf are you doing? What are we paying for? Why cant you get anything done? Why is this so shit? Why shouldn't we go to X company?)

And I have to tell you, it blows.

I have some pride in work, and taking it on the chin for the company is what I am doing as I continue to code and change and try to get things done.

Even with a team of 600 divided in half and then fighting... I'm surprised it saw the light of day in any form. Sounds nasty.. but don't ever be surprised by length of development time.

I have this saying on my desk:

99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs. You take one down, fix it around, 143 little bugs in the code.

In Yarrows voice *Truth*