• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
No one could have seen this coming. Google has never killed something that didn't meet their expectations before. /s

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
It baffles me how with the monopoly that they have in terms of Internet services with its own search engine and Youtube they managed to screw this up.

OP
OP
bsigg

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This should be in the OP:

Stadia isn't quite done. The Stadia tech could still succeed. By many accounts, Stadia runs games great. But as a game-maker, Google appears to have packed it in. Said one source familiar with Stadia's first-party operations, citing another tech giant's widely publicized failure to create video games: "Google was a terrible place to make games. Imagine Amazon, but under-resourced."

bsigg

Added.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Knew this was going to happen. Google just can't commit to a product or platform unless it becomes the next big thing.

Not that this isn't shocking at all. The platform was relatively dead and finding people online in multiplayer games without crossplay was horrendous.

I feel bad for the people who invested money into this, even though it seems games and deals through 2021 will continue to release, and then titles should still be playable.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I mean at the very least, this probably means that Google won't be buying any big independent studios anytime soon.

Jan 4, 2018
Feel bad for the developers. Started working on games for Google 2 years ago and it won't even see the light of the day.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
It's Google and this didn't take off.

Hope ya'll didn't expect this to last.

I wanna thank Google for the free Chromecast tho :3

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
The company plans to begin offering its Stadia tech to publishers, opening up the possibility for Stadia to become the streaming tech for other video game companies.

I could see some publishers using the tech for demo's or previews (I think Ubisoft has already done this), but loosing Jade and their first party studios is obviously a blow to the platform.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
This is what I feared would happen. They just killed Typhoon after buying them. I hope MS can save them if they are still interested like WB did with Avalanche.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
And this is the big scary competitor MS is preparing to fight against in the future?

Amazon and google both tried and failed hard so far.

Phil Spencer must be happy today.
Ten Cent lurking in the corners

but yeah it seems Amazon and Google will try the serverblade licensing route which is more an enterprise shift than anything

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Came sooner than I expected tbh. Hopefully they sell their technology or something to one of the 3.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
People really willed this into happening. I wonder if Stadia wouldn't have failed if everybody was not already so sure it was gonna fail before it even launched.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Did anyone think it would happen so quickly? Seems a bit early in the game to back out when the tech is so good. Unless they never really had a long term road map for Stadia.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Damn shame. Hopefully the devs affected can find new work quickly.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Not really using Stadia anymore sine I got the Series X, but I am definitely eating crow.

Did not think Google would actually drop their own Studios before ever releasing a game

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I feel sorry for everyone working there, I hope and sincerely don't doubt for a second that they'll all land on their feet. I wonder if we'll see another company try to open a studio around their current installations, there'll be lots of talent available.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
How is this dude hired for top postitions over and over again, just to repeat the same failures? I genuinely do not get it.
2276349-phillyphil392_screen.jpg

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the threads saying this would happen and low an behold here we are at the moment...

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
What about Typhoon? They bought them like 2 months ago

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
The world isn't ready for streaming games. Tech isn't there.

Yeah. The infrastructure here in the US is just not ready for it. I have coworkers with terrible ISPs who can barely enjoy their gamepass subs due to caps let alone stream full ass games constantly.

We all knew this was going to happen but I didn't see it going down THAT fast.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Why would game studios even consider developing for Stadia when even Google doesn't believe in their own platform anymore? I will give it another 18 months until this sorry experiment comes to an end.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, I had no idea Stadia even had internal studios.

As a service\platform Stadia has been OK for me, I've only spent $1 for the complete Borderlands 3 pack which was great and it runs OK if I'm not too far from my router.
Don't think I'd ever pay full price for a game on it though.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
As long as 90% of Google's revenue come from one place (ads), any other service isn't profitable and thus primed to be killed at any point. Obviously with some exceptions like Gmail or YouTube.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Did anyone think it would happen so quickly? Seems a bit early in the game to back out when the tech is so good. Unless they never really had a long term road map for Stadia.

It seemed pretty obvious it was a flop from the get go. You could look at the pitiful multiplayer numbers on games like Destiny and Ghost Recon and tell few people were buying

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ. Hope those affected land on their feet soon.

I wonder if they will license out the tech or try to build a gamepass like platform

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I think the service itself is still solid and they can still carry forward with the current model. Additionally, Stadia could become more of a middleware service to publishers who want to independently stream their games, but don't want to come up with their own solutions. Take the games that are streaming on Switch. You could eliminate the need for a Stadia app, and publishers could just use the Stadia platform behind the scenes to serve up their games.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Stadia and GeForceNow are head and shoulders above the rest in terms of streaming performance. The problem is neither has an instant library like xCloud has because I have to buy my games individually through Stadia or Steam on top of my streaming fee.

If Stadia can shift focus towards a true Netflix-style service with a revolving library included in their membership then it could finally take off.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I'd never work for Google, such a piece of shit. They drop things SO easily, I've know so many good people lose their jobs in the midst of full development because Google changed their mind. Such a volatile company.