• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
kotaku.com

Blockbuster Game Development Costs Are Out Of Control

Microsoft’s fight over the Activision deal reveals ballooning game budgets
The production of big-budget games has felt unsustainable for a while now, and all evidence points to major blockbusters only getting more expensive in the years to come. Testimony in the regulatory fight over Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard shows that game publishers are spending more than ever to make new entries in their biggest franchises, from Call of Duty to Grand Theft Auto VI. One publisher even claims to have spent over $1 billion on a recent release when both production and marketing costs are taken into account.

The recent decision by the UK's Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) to block Microsoft's merger was accompanied by a 418-page report outlining its research and reasoning, including a section devoted to ever-rising game development costs (via IGN). It cites research by market analyst firm IDG projecting blockbuster game budgets would grow from an average of $50-150 million last console generation to over $200 million for games released in the next couple years. Back in 2014, it was closer to $60 million.

The regulators then cite testimony from other publishers about their own hit franchises that reinforces this trend. While some of the ranges differ, they're all going up:

• One publisher said it spends $164 million on pre-launch development costs and $55 million on marketing
  • Another publisher said budgets range from $80 million to $350 million, with marketing costs of up to $310 million for the biggest games
  • A third publisher reported costs of between $110 million to $350 million for recent releases
  • A fourth publisher said budgets ranged from $90 million to $180 million with marketing ranging from $50 million to $150 million. Its most expensive game cost $660 million to develop with a marketing budget of $550 million.
The CMA points to this as evidence that it's unlikely another company could reasonably make a replacement for Call of Duty anytime soon, but it also shows just how unsustainable big-budget game development has gotten. With blockbusters like Suicide Squad and Starfield costing a ton and taking forever to come out, the pressures and risks associated with them succeeding or failing are great than ever.
Holy shit. I don't think this is sustainable.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Games that make blockbuster movie money having blockbuster movie price tags doesn't seem automatically unsustainable to me.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it isn't sustainable, people have been saying as much for the past decade. What we should be asking is... What happens when the bubbles bursts? Formally huge publishers sinking? The Death of the AAA industry?

oty

Feb 28, 2023
ehhhhh

more risk aversive? sure. unsustainable? we have games coming out selling a dozen million units. they launch with a billion dollars revenue. i don't think investors hate that. they will just choose what's more sure profit

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
You wonder why the AAA space might seem homogeneous or risk-averse, or why remakes might be pushed more to the forefront, consider how much these things take just to break even.

Kingdom of Amalur was a striking case in my mind, and that one was over ten years ago. It sold a million copies, which is impressive for a new series by a new studio. But it needed to sell twice as much to start making money.

The indie space is going to get more important going forward as lower budget experiences can compete more on being experimental.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The total market has grown, which is why budgets have grown. The return is there.

What went up is the total risk if a game flops.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
The total market has grown, which is why budgets have grown. The return is there.

What went up is the total risk if a game flops.
yep

i mean, we are talking about blockbuster video games. in hollywood, your average blockbuster also is 100~200 million dollars. you can make a point movies are more profitable, sure, but that doesn't mean video game is unsustainable

more investment in gaming market? people with money are putting more money now in gaming than ever before lol

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
this will surely go well.

entire companies won't implode or anything.

everything's nice.

don't worry about it.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
*fromsoft laughs*

but yeah its why the market seems more hyperfocused on trend chasing than ever before. even indies are pretty bad about it these days thats how expensive game dev is

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder what would happen to Rockstar if the one game they released a generation was reviewed poorly and sold like shit.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
yep

i mean, we are talking about blockbuster video games. in hollywood, your average blockbuster also is 100~200 million dollars. you can make a point movies are more profitable, sure, but that doesn't mean video game is unsustainable
We've been getting the similar complaints regarding movies, where they've been leaning more towards reviving successful properties in recent years because huge budgets means they need to have an already guaranteed audience because they can't afford to fail.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Japan based companies have a huge advantage where they pay their employees peanuts compared to US based developers. Doubly so for Nintendo who has low spec hardware which makes games cost even less.

Salaries have just ballooned out of control. I remember Uncharted 2 cost $20 million to make. This is a consequence of the world economy,

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I'm not very good with economics, so can someone explain to a layperson like me what this means exactly? What is the predicted outcome of this lack of sustainability? What precedent can we look to as a warning?

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
ROCKSTAR:
nicholas-cage-laugh.gif

Jan 19, 2022
In an ideal world, AAA studios would be permitted to make smaller, lower budget games between their massive releases.

Realistically, we are going to get more remasters and remakes.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not very good with economics, so can someone explain to a layperson like me what this means exactly? What is the predicted outcome of this lack of sustainability? What precedent can we look to as a warning?

What this means basically is we get more and more risk-averse games. You see how Bethesda got bought by Microsoft? They were basically looking for that because 2 or 3 of their games hadn't done well. As this keeps going, basically that margin of error will be even worse--it could be that one wrong game could end a studio or force them to look for someone to buy them.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Sustainability is fine. We will just see less projects with longer support, and especially less risks being taken. But in the vacuum indies will rise and becoming more prominent which is already happening, so I think we will be fine.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
We've been getting the similar complaints regarding movies, where they've been leaning more towards reviving successful properties in recent years because huge budgets means they need to have an already guaranteed audience because they can't afford to fail.
yeah, but no one is saying Hollywood is unsutainable . it just isnt that. not that i like the direction of gaming or movie making, but saying it's unsustainable is a stretch.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Studios putting more money into a smaller number of "safe" projects and becoming more risk-averse might not be great from an artistic/creative point of view, but that's a bit different from being unsustainable. Hollywood's sustained itself on that path for a while now. In fact, the first studio to go all-in on that paradigm (Disney) was hugely rewarded.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
What this means basically is we get more and more risk-averse games. You see how Bethesda got bought by Microsoft? They were basically looking for that because 2 or 3 of their games hadn't done well. As this keeps going, basically that margin of error will be even worse--it could be that one wrong game could end a studio or force them to look for someone to buy them.
I see! But that's the enthusiast's perspective of it, isn't it - that the kind of creativity we will see will be affected.

What is the end state of this lack of sustainability for the industry as a whole? How will it balance out into a sustainable industry, and what will the landscape look like at that point?

From what I understand, this means blockbuster game budgets will eventually go down after the bubble bursts? What does that mean for the industry - do people in the industry get paid less, are jobs cut, that kind of thing?

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
[...] Cost $660 million to develop with a marketing budget of $550 million.

Please help me, my family is dying
Honestly, I think marketing budget has become more important than dev budget at this time. There's so many games coming out that you need the marketing to make your games stand out. 600mil dev budget won't guarantee a game is great, but 500mil marketing budget will probably make your games sell at least a few million. If you can pair that with a game that is good enough, it could probably find an audience. A better situation that a great game that didn't sell because lacking marketing imo

Jun 2, 2019
To anyone mocking this notion: The model being usustanaible doesn't mean It will burst any time soon. Companies know there's money for them to grab, so they'll milk the shit out of the AAA model.

Now, thanks to that we're headed full speed to a world where the AA industry doesn't exist anymore, creative bankrupcy runs rampant, and studios risk closed (or their personal grossly laid off) if they release a dud.

Now, add to that the recent trend of releasing unfinished games because deadlines have to be met no matter what.

If you think that's sustanaible, i have a bridge to sell you.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Do you honestly believe that Nintendo development costs have gotten cheaper overtime? Just to use one metric....the amount of credits just at Nintendo's studio for the animation team behind BOTW was 3x as large as the inhouse team behind Skyward Sword. Now apply that to like, every aspect of the game that took half a decade to make and six years/pandemic development for the sequel. Every AAA dev is spending the big bucks and that's with the more efficient development workflows that exist today.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
You can pretty much generate 1 billion in revenue in couple of weeks if you get a huge hit.

If your games as a service and dlc shit hit then sky is the limit.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
A fourth publisher said budgets ranged from $90 million to $180 million with marketing ranging from $50 million to $150 million. Its most expensive game cost $660 million to develop with a marketing budget of $550 million.

I wonder if this is Red Dead Redemption 2 or some other game.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
It is sustainable if people are ready to pay at 50 bucks on average (including main soft, side transactions, etc...) on a software that sales 4 million copies.

However we can see light at end of the tunnel thanks to accessible middlewares like UE. You gotta mutualize whatever you can.

So for now i disagree. We'll see a few years down the line.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
To anyone mocking this notion: The model being usustanaible doesn't mean It will burst any time soon. Companies know there's money for them to grab, so they'll milk the shit out of the AAA model.

Now, thanks to that we're headed full speed to a world where the AA industry doesn't exist anymore, creative bankrupcy runs rampant, and studios risk closed (or their personal grossly laid off) if they release a dud.

Now, add to that the recent trend of releasing unfinished games because deadlines have to be met no matter what.

I have no idea where you got the notion that aa industry wont exist anymore, we are still getting a ton of midrange games.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
You can pretty much generate 1 billion in revenue in couple of weeks if you get a huge hit.

If your games as a service and dlc shit hit then sky is the limit.

How many actually do?

The market is not gonna be about the money at some point. It will be on people's time. Some AAA will definitely not make the cut, simply because there could be too many of them.
As a consummer, i want to make an experience worth not only the money i put in it but also the time, which comes at a limited quantity. So it has to be top notch.

AAAs standing out of the mass is just gonna be pretty scarce.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
[...] Cost $660 million to develop with a marketing budget of $550 million.

Please help me, my family is dying
Keep in mind:
  • A fourth publisher said budgets ranged from $90 million to $180 million with marketing ranging from $50 million to $150 million. Its most expensive game cost $660 million to develop with a marketing budget of $550 million.
The first sentence is what they are saying what these games normally cost, with the exception of one with a significantly higher budget. The second sentence was also not specific about the budget being pre-launch, total, or if it was including post-launch. Live service games are not longer about single release budget and marketing, as the game could be a series, or a platform game with a long tail for content and updates.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
I have no idea where you got the notion that aa industry wont exist anymore, we are still getting a ton of midrange games.
We are. But how many gather that deserved attention.
I strongly believe (with little to back it up 😀) that video game market is just saturated now. You simply CANNOT play everything, so you'll just put your time on a couple of AA at a time at best, let alone AAAs.
That's why metacritics is still holding so much importance. If i gotta spend quality time on a game, i'll be more likely to chose one that my favorite reviewers would endorse over an unknown quantity.

Now just apply a similar logic at scale, and you got the market today. Game deva and publishers are competing for time.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

I don't think we're headed full speed toward a world where creative bankruptcy runs rampant. I think there's more creativity in the games industry than ever before. You're just not playing the right games.

Also, releasing broken/unfinished games isn't at all just a recent trend. SimCity 2013 was a decade ago. Enter the Matrix was two decades ago. I can go on.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
You wonder why the AAA space might seem homogeneous or risk-averse, or why remakes might be pushed more to the forefront, consider how much these things take just to break even.

Kingdom of Amalur was a striking case in my mind, and that one was over ten years ago. It sold a million copies, which is impressive for a new series by a new studio. But it needed to sell twice as much to start making money.

The indie space is going to get more important going forward as lower budget experiences can compete more on being experimental.
I haven't thought of Kingdoms of Amalur in a good while. While we haven't reached the nadir of economic collapse that 2012 seemed to foreshadow, I do think that game served as a canary in the coal mine for devs trying to launch new franchises. As the AAA industry is now, the risk remains, but the rewards are more stratified.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Definitely could be I think it's original development budget was rumoured to be in the 300m range, so 10+ years of additional development and marketing, including all the ports probably adds up a lot.
If it is GTAV, $1 billion over ten years does not even seem like that much considering the return they are getting. Fortnite would be in a similar position.