NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
I still have nightmares about Forbidden Memories and its weird setup even though I kept coming back for more. A video popped up on my YT feed just yesterday weirdly enough (especially as I've never searched anything on Yu-Gi-Oh games) of a speedrunner being stopped in his tracks by Exodia which is about as rare a thing as you could see in the game.

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I sometimes wonder why Nintendo consoles got the TCG rules while other consoles just got whatever the devs were smoking for stuff like Capsule Monsters
I think more than Nintendo consoles specifically, it was that handheld consoles were prioritized for TCG rules games, as during that period both the DS and the PSP were the recipients of the lion's share of TCG rules games, as no matter how much Konami loved developing for Nintendo or whatever was their reason, the fact that the only TCG rules game for the PS2 was a port of Tag Force 2 tells you that priority was not whether the platform was popular or not. (Also reminder that the last Tag Force game came for the PSP 4 years after the launch of the PSV)

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The moments when the game sped up and sped up and sped up even further is when they lost me.
Turns with like 4 special summons and two hand traps played, just to shut down the opponent from even trying to play, kinda fucked the game up for me.

Really curious what this is.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I think more than Nintendo consoles specifically, it was that handheld consoles were prioritized for TCG rules games, as during that period both the DS and the PSP were the recipients of the lion's share of TCG rules games, as no matter how much Konami loved developing for Nintendo or whatever was their reason, the fact that the only TCG rules game for the PS2 was a port of Tag Force 2 tells you that priority was not whether the platform was popular or not. (Also reminder that the last Tag Force game came for the PSP 4 years after the launch of the PSV)
I imagine the idea was that people who actually want to play competitively against other players would do so on handhelds, considering it wasn't exactly easily possible to bring your PS2 to school or any other place where you might gather to play TCGs. So, while the handheld games remained the more "serious" rulesets, the console games were more about being novel alternatives to the proper thing: maybe designed with the idea of making things more interesting for singleplayer/AI play, too.

WeWereGiants

Nov 8, 2017
The Amazon listing says that Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel is being released in original Japanese language only regardless of region…

They're translating a game that has never been released in English before whilst releasing one that has been translated in Japanese only… what

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
The Amazon listing says that Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel is being released in original Japanese language only regardless of region…

They're translating a game that has never been released in English before whilst releasing one that has been translated in Japanese only… what

This is a mistake, even the japanese edition has all languages included, they won't go and take something out there.
Y3h7Uvz.png

(although the game doesn't ask for a language at first and you have to press start in the main menu).

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
Hope this means they're going to start releasing more of the old OCG cards into the TCG as well. There are still monsters that were on the OG show that don't have TCG cards yet!!

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
This is a mistake, even the japanese edition has all languages included, they won't go and take something out there.
Y3h7Uvz.png

(although the game doesn't ask for a language at first and you have to press start in the main menu).

Not really a mistake, since they specifically note that it's the original "Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 6: Expert 2" release being in JP language only in this collection. They haven't actually said whether Worldwide Edition is included in this collection (DM4 and DM6 are still the only announced games - nor do we know which version of DM4 specifically is being translated, iirc there where 3 versions).

Would be weird if it isn't, but it's also weird that they wouldn't have immediately announced it as being in, since its basically the same game.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Considering that Yu-Gi-Oh works off a ban list instead of rotating out old sets from Standard play....

Oh boy I can't wait for them to announce and re release another reprint of the old school Blue Eyes Kaiba Deck.

*Disclaimer I stopped playing Yu-Gi-Oh years ago so I don't know if they even do that anymore.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Konami is notorious for always opening rando Yu-Gi-oh! accounts. It makes things a bit confusing in all honesty.

I really hope the final list of games ends up being really good!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Honestly the console games with more vibes and themes over the proper rules sound more fun to me. The manga and anime had crazy shit that'd I'd be all for in a VG that isnt possible with the real rules. Hope a couple make it

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Honestly the console games with more vibes and themes over the proper rules sound more fun to me. The manga and anime had crazy shit that'd I'd be all for in a VG that isnt possible with the real rules. Hope a couple make it
My dream Yu-Gi-Oh game would be like a mix of the two types of games: having it follow TCG rules but with a curated list of cards, and having a storyline that would require you navigating scenarios like the anime where opponents could use stuff you didn't have access to either due to not being part of the curated list or being some form of anime bullshit (examples that a friend put into my head: facing a full Zoodiac deck or full power Orichalcos deck with GX/5Ds era decks)

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
Eternal Duelist Soul, The Sacred Cards, Reshef of Destruction, Dungeon Dice Monsters and Duel Academy were my childhood. If this includes anything for that era I'll be there day one.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Just a Harpie's Feather promo is a bit disappointing.
Are they translating those Japanese only games?

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Wish it was still 3 promos per game copy but duster is a near perfect one-of to pick as a promo. Nostalgic, still extremely powerful, sees tons of play, in a high end rarity the card hasn't seen yet. Hoping to see the rest of the games soon.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
1 of 2 dusters is kinda crazy. Why not give us 3 cards like the olden days.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Give me some console ones too! Least PS1 stuff. Tho what I really want is duelist of the roses. Oh and dungeon dice and capsule monsters!
Just a Harpie's Feather promo is a bit disappointing.
Are they translating those Japanese only games?
I mean you'd hope and the Castlevania collection did translate Kid Dracula. Plus translation overlay is pretty easy these days. But don't think they've confirmed either way

iosefe

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Oct 26, 2017
Where the sun shines
Yu-Gi-Oh Early Days Collection (Switch) additional titles announced:

-Duel Monsters (GB)
-Duel Monsters II (GBC)
-Dark Duel Stories (GBC)

Each physical copy include one of two special cards.

View: https://x.com/Wario64/status/1832931441425965384?t=bvNiAIHsIjaMSXPdp_yANA&s=19

GW_goXdXgAANKSn

GW_gosjWMAAYuFK

they weren't kidding about "Early Days." i do hope this at least culminates in Forbidden Memories, as that followed the same format to a degree

that "And More" is carrying a lto of hope with it

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
I think this collection is really cool but it's also really weird they won't say if they're translating all these Japanese only games. Like, they must be, right? But why not just say that

iosefe

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Oct 26, 2017
Where the sun shines
From Japanese PR regarding today's announcement of games, they also note that the collection will include more than 10 titles total

『遊戯王 アーリーデイズコレクション』 収録タイトルを追加発表! | 株式会社コナミデジタルエンタテインメント

『遊戯王 アーリーデイズコレクション』 収録タイトルを追加発表!
so 11, right?

which is a hell of a colleciotn

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
I wonder if they'll modify 4 to have everything?

If I remember correctly, wasn't 4 the one with 3 versions(1 for each God card)?

That being said, I hope Sacred Cards and Reshef are in it!

Oct 28, 2017
California
As someone who only plays retro formats (Edison, sometime Goat, sometimes HAT) I fucking love this.

Ordered 3 boxes of the Retro Pack reprint from GameStop that came in the other day, didn't pull much (best card was the Exodia head) but it was fun opening the packs.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
As someone who only plays retro formats (Edison, sometime Goat, sometimes HAT) I fucking love this.

Ordered 3 boxes of the Retro Pack reprint from GameStop that came in the other day, didn't pull much (best card was the Exodia head) but it was fun opening the packs.

Did you buy those boxes before or after the price increase?

MSRP is 17.99

GameStop originally charged 19.99, but then increased the price to 24.99

In any case, I do love the retro packs seeing the old text on some of them is cool.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody ever remembers 7 Trials to Glory but that's my number 1 nostalgia Yugioh game

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok with the confirmation this is over 10 games, I'm thinking this collection may have every GBC/GBA Yugioh game if it is just from those systems. Especially considering there's just 15 ish unique games. So let's break things down. So first off, if this is like the Castlevania collection, then any game that has an international version with variation will be replaced by it in the western version with the Japanese version as a bonus option. So first off, the confirmed games:
  1. Duel Monsters (GB, Japan only)
  2. Duel Monsters II (GBC, Japan Only)
  3. Dark Duel Stories (GBC)
  4. Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 4: Battle of Great Duelists (GBA, Japan Only)
  5. Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 6: Expert 2(English remake Yu-Gi-Oh! Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel, might be a separate listing as it was released in Japanese)

As for games currently unconfirmed:
  1. Yu-Gi-Oh! Monster Capsule GB(GBC, Japan only)
  2. Yu-Gi-Oh! Dungeon Dice Monsters
  3. Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 5: Expert 1(English only remake is Yu-Gi-Oh! The Eternal Duelist Soul, )
  4. Yu-Gi-Oh! The Sacred Cards
  5. Yu-Gi-Oh! Reshef of Destruction
  6. Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship Tournament 2004
  7. Yu-Gi-Oh! Destiny Board Traveler
  8. Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trials to Glory: World Championship Tournament 2005
  9. Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: Duel Academy
  10. Yu-Gi-Oh! Ultimate Masters: World Championship Tournament 2006
So yeah that would be 15 total games(16 if Yu-Gi-Oh! Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel, isn't counted as a bonus game). Only one I think might be cut is capsule monster gb, since that's one of the only 4 games without some sort of English version, but I wouldn't rule it out either. I could see those 4 hopefully getting overlay translations but you never know. Would be great if we got them all and if this is GB/GBA only with over 10 confirmed it seems like we'll get most.

Last edited:

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Ok with the confirmation this is over 10 games, I'm thinking this collection may have every GBC/GBA Yugioh game if it is just from those systems. Especially considering there's just 14 unique games. So let's break things down. So first off, if this is like the Castlevania collection, then any game that has an international version with variation will be replaced by it in the western version with the Japanese version as a bonus option. So first off, the confirmed games:
  5. Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 6: Expert 2(English remake Yu-Gi-Oh! Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel, might be a separate listing as it was released in Japanese)

3. Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 5: Expert 1(English only remake is Yu-Gi-Oh! The Eternal Duelist Soul, )
So yeah that would be 15 total games(16 if Yu-Gi-Oh! Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel, isn't counted as a bonus game). Only one I think might be cut is capsule monster gb, since that's one of the only 4 games without some sort of English version, but I wouldn't rule it out either. I could see those 4 hopefully getting overlay translations but you never know. Would be great if we got them all and if this is GB/GBA only with over 10 confirmed it seems like we'll get most.

The whole "Early Days" theme and how it's tying into this retro-themed TCG marketing campaign they're doing really makes me think we're not getting anything GX or after in here, and it'll be entirely OG Yu-Gi-Oh games. But otherwise, yeah, "more than 10 titles" makes me think we're getting every GBC and GBA game based off the original series in here, which would be great. Hopefully they do a collection of the home console games afterwards.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Wait, there's a Yu-Gi-Oh video game collection coming out? Awesome! I had a few of the GBA games + Duelist of the Roses on the PS2 back in the day.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Ok with the confirmation this is over 10 games, I'm thinking this collection may have every GBC/GBA Yugioh game if it is just from those systems. Especially considering there's just 15 ish unique games. So let's break things down. So first off, if this is like the Castlevania collection, then any game that has an international version with variation will be replaced by it in the western version with the Japanese version as a bonus option. So first off, the confirmed games:

WC 2006 absolutely has to be in it. Its the goat yugioh game. 2006 is pretty much peak yugioh.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I remember the JP version of The Eternal Duelist Soul had more visual effects and different OST with dynamic music during duels as well. It'd be nice to have the English version use the improved visual effects as well, if it's included in this collection, of course.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
The whole "Early Days" theme and how it's tying into this retro-themed TCG marketing campaign they're doing really makes me think we're not getting anything GX or after in here, and it'll be entirely OG Yu-Gi-Oh games. But otherwise, yeah, "more than 10 titles" makes me think we're getting every GBC and GBA game based off the original series in here, which would be great. Hopefully they do a collection of the home console games afterwards.

They just released Light of Destruction, a GX themed TCG set. At the very least the GBA game shouldn't be ruled out. Tag force and the other console/handheld games on the other hand, I'd hope they'd release it as another collection.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I really hope they do a collection of Falsebound + Duelists + Forbidden Memories at some point. I know that would probably need to be actual ports or sth (FM could probably use M2Engage so maybe it will be in this collection), but Falsebound + Duelists are like, the most robust, interesting, and honestly playable of those experimental early titles.

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
It seems there's a press release going around confirming a few other details, but no English websites have reported on it yet.

Some games in the collection will support online battles and card exchanging, as well as save/load states. Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 4: Battle of Great Duelists is one that is called out specifically as having online battles.

TriGen

Oct 27, 2017
It seems there's a press release going around confirming a few other details, but no English websites have reported on it yet.

Some games in the collection will support online battles and card exchanging, as well as save/load states. Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 4: Battle of Great Duelists is one that is called out specifically as having online battles.
Oh wow! I did not expect that. That's really cool.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019

Now Dungeon Dice Monsters online has a greater than 0% chance of happening and I'm not prepared to be let down like this if it doesn't. :(

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Now Dungeon Dice Monsters online has a greater than 0% chance of happening and I'm not prepared to be let down like this if it doesn't. :(
I'd be shocked if it didn't make the collection at least. I crunched the numbers and it's confirmed over 10 games so I'm expecting basically every English GBA game to make it. only 2 games I have any doubt on is capsule monsters GB(Japan only, GBC), and GX academy (theme reasons tho it is still early yugioh)

TriGen

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they'll modify 4 to have everything?

If I remember correctly, wasn't 4 the one with 3 versions(1 for each God card)?

That being said, I hope Sacred Cards and Reshef are in it!
Sacred Cards was my favorite YGO video game. I loved its structure. I hope it makes it in and I expect it will.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly would be disappointing if it's only GB/C/A games but I remember buying 2 copies of 2004 so I could trade and battle with my brother so I would still get that.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
Some games in the collection will support online battles and card exchanging, as well as save/load states.
It just came to mind, but do you think Reshef of Destruction could implement this out in the overworld? Having to go all the way back home, especially in the later gauntlets pf duels, really dragged that game down.