• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
Kiryu Coco is graduating, a term used when an idol or vtuber will no longer be using that persona.
A vtuber is someone who uses streaming services and represents themselves as an avatar. Such as we have screen names and profile pictures here, a vtuber streams with a different name and a different picture on screen representing them.

Subbed in English

Announcement of Kiryu Coco's Graduation
Press Release: https://cover-corp.com/news/detail/20210609b

Thank you for your continued support of hololive production.

We hereby announce that on Thursday, July 1, 2021, hololive 4th Generation talent Kiryu Coco will be graduating from VTuber group hololive.

We wish to extend our deepest apologies to all the fans and collaborators for this sudden announcement, as well as our heartfelt gratitude and thanks to everyone who supported her activities for the past two years.

We as a company are saddened by her decision to leave, but after much deliberation between both parties, we have decided to honor her wishes.

Please check our official homepage and the press release for information regarding her upcoming graduation event and merchandise, along with her upcoming schedule.

■COVER Corp. Official Homepage News Section

https://cover-corp.com/news/

In light of Kiryu Coco's graduation, we will be opening an extended period in which fan mail and presents for her will be accepted.

In addition, her channel membership and members-only content will continue to be available for three months after her graduation.

■Deadlines for each service

・Fan mail and presents acceptance period: must arrive on or before Monday, July 14

・Membership and exclusive content: Thursday, September 30, 11:59:59 PM JST

We hope you continue to give Kiryu Coco and her activities your full and unwavering support in this remaining short time until the day of her graduation.

COVER Corporation

Wednesday, June 9, 2021

From T-chan: We know this news is very difficult to process. Please channel all your energies to supporting Coco. No negativity. Please.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Hololive/comments/nvlymp/announcement_of_kiryu_cocos_graduation/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hololive/comments/nvmc3z/graduation_event_for_vtuber_group_hololives_4th/

Coco did a lot for hololive and the vtuber community, being a huge bridge for their entry into the English market. I don't know what to say, but I felt a thread needed to be made about it.

Last edited:

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
This absolutely hits hard for me since Coco was one of the vtubers that got me into hololive to begin with. Just gonna post some of my favorite clips

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Not only one of Hololive's best, but a pillar in the entirety of the VTuber community. She will be missed, and I wish her nothing but the best.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
An absolutely key part of the VTuber world. Things would not be the same without her. And indeed they won't be when she's gone.
I will miss her so damn much.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
She was such a huge force for why vtubers blew up.

Hololive would not be nearly as big and HoloEN likely wouldn't even exist.

I didn't even watch her all that much outside her weekly Meme Reviews, but it definitely hurts to see her go.

She's the one that was harassed for saying Tawain was a country right? Is that the reason why she's retiring?

She didn't specify, and said she won't say the reason why.

Most people will probably attribute it to that harrasment that is still ongoing, but all we really know is that it was clear she loved being a part of hololive

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Heartbreaking news.
Coco may not be my favorite but she was absolutely a powerful force and completely changed the company for the better.

I'll miss her.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
07/01...The same day as Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day (The day that Hong Kong got taken back by China) and a yearly holiday

She's the one that was harassed for saying Tawain was a country right? Is that the reason why she's retiring?

Her and another one, Hachama, but the focus was on her mainly, because she isn't acting "idol-like" talking about hair removal and thing.
So it's not just China's little pink, but also unicorn and other.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is disappointing news since she was one of the first V-Tubers I watched when i was just starting to get into the rabbit hole. Gonna miss her meme reviews when she's gone

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
Kinda nuts she's leaving since she was so big on both sides of Hololive's fan base. I wasn't exactly the biggest fan of hers but it's going to feel like something is missing once she's gone for sure.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
She didn't specify why in her announcement. I hope it wasn't harassment that led her to decide to graduate, but this was her decision, and I hope people are able to respect that.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
What? That's fucked up
Yeah. Her and Haachama were both just reading analytics on their streams to see where their viewers are from and since YT lists Taiwan when they read that out it set off a massive shit storm on the CN side. Ended up causing HoloCN to be shut down and for what ever reason those little shits just kept bothering Coco and anyone who got in contact with her.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
What? That's fucked up

The order of event was, Hachama(Another Vtuber from the same group) read her analytic, and has Taiwan listed as the second? largest viewer, and Coco did the same the next day, China troll, believe that it was an intentional attack on their one-china police(They believe Taiwan is part of China, not it's own country) and launcher multiple online attack, that resulted in Cover firing and closing down their China branch and Chinese Vtuber, and was still ongoing today, even after Youtube finally allow Coco to try out new beta moderation tool, so they have move on to attack other Hololive vtuber channel, because the moderation tool works.

Oct 25, 2017
She is the reason I even discovered any of this,
Sad that she is likely leaving because of Chinese bullies.

Worth mentioning she never got to team up with the English Hololive girls because they were worried she'd get them dragged into the mess as well.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Sad that she is likely leaving because of the pathetic Chinese bullies.

Worth mentioning she never got to team up with the English Hololive girls because they were worried she'd get them dragged into the mess as well.
She did a meme review with Calli at least and we got this out of it

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Sad that she is likely leaving because of the pathetic Chinese bullies.

This isn't specifically true. She just had a collab with Calli and Ollie a day ago.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Not super into VTubers, but I always find it fucked that idol groups and VTubers use the term "graduation" as if it smooths over obvious troubles most of the time. Nobody is entitled to the inner workings but it always rubbed me the wrong way. Not to mention how all her content will get scrubbed when really that ought to pay out residuals to her in perpetuity (unless she would want them scrubbed but afaik this full deletion is the standard for corporate VTubers). Hope she's doing okay. :(

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's the one that was harassed for saying Taiwan was a country right? Is that the reason why she's retiring?
She didn't even say Taiwan was a country. It was simply shown on her google analytics when she was showing who was subbed to her. CCP Propaganda slaves still went absolute apeshit.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Not super into VTubers, but I always find it fucked that idol groups and VTubers use the term "graduation" as if it smooths over obvious troubles most of the time. Nobody is entitled to the inner workings but it always rubbed me the wrong way. Not to mention how all her content will get scrubbed when really that ought to pay out residuals to her in perpetuity (unless she would want them scrubbed but afaik this full deletion is the standard for corporate VTubers). Hope she's doing okay. :(
They're not taking her channel down.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even gonna touch the first part. But Hololive is one agency where they let their talent choice either keep or wipe, Coco choose to keep her channel, only wipe the member's archive.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even gonna touch the first part. But Hololive is one agency where they let their talent choice either keep or wipe, Coco choose to keep her channel, only wipe the member's archive.
Which is only happening due to the channel demonitizing 3 months after inactivity.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long...

End of an era. Hololive won't be the same. 😭

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
Not super familiar with the business side of vtubers. When they 'graduate' is it the actor/actress retiring or just the character? Could she (the actual person) come back as a different persona? Has the aforementioned harassment extended to her real life too?

OP
OP
Owlowiscious

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
Which is only happening due to the channel demonitizing 3 months after inactivity.
To also clarify, since you cannot subscribe be a member of the channel anymore, you cannot access the member only videos anymore.

Not super familiar with the business side of vtubers. When they 'graduate' is it the actor/actress retiring or just the character? Could she (the actual person) come back as a different persona? Has the aforementioned harassment extended to her real life too?
The character. The human being can do other vtubing/streaming related activities.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

The character is retired. So technically if Coco wanted to she could continue streaming under a different persona. But obviously is up to them.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
The actress behind Coco does have another channel she streams on personally and she does get harrased there as well.

She completely free to make another character and stream with that. Just a question if she wants to.

Imo, she would not be quitting hololive if she still wanted to be a vtuber, since she has very close friends with hololive and loves it there. The big question is if sh;e'l keep streaming on her personal channel or quit streaming all together.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
didn't happen in Cover's (coco current company), but it did happen in another agency, Nijisanji. Return as another character I mean.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
They're not taking her channel down.
Coco's? Yeah they absolutely will. I'm sure there is plenty of archiving going on right now though.

EDIT: Apparently this is wrong. I've witnessed so many Vtubers graduating and any time they were part of a big Vtuber agency their videos all get scrubbed and the channel gets taken down. Like this is still in my subscribers list because it was the channel of Otogibara (Gibara) Era, a Nijisanji JP Vtuber who graduated a bit ago: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwQ9Uv-m8xkE5PzRc7Bqx3Q

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Coco's? Yeah they absolutely will. I'm sure there is plenty of archiving going on right now though.
All of her content will remain available. The only thing that's going to change is at the end of September when access to her members-only content will get cut off due to the channel inactivity cutting the monetization off.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
May 24, 2019
I'm guessing the voice artist doesn't own the character and social channels and will have a tough time establishing another one without outing herself (edit: assuming she was pressured out and would even want to continue)

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
9 months of constant harassment and spam. After Youtube gave her a beta type of anti spam, it spread on the rest of the members

This people destroyed her livelihood
To put this into perspective, she's only been streaming for 18 months. So literally half her time there was dealing with this bs

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I'm guessing the voice artist doesn't own the character and will have a tough time establishing another one without outing herself (edit: assuming she was pressured out and would even want to continue)
I think she still streamed using her real face while working for Hololive. There's a bunch of clips on YouTube, so I'm assuming she'll just go back to that. Maybe take a break or move to a different platform that has better spam protection. Still sucks though.