• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
See guys? Frozen pulls numbers.

All serious, the game deserves its sales. Easy Top 10 game of 2019 with Resident Evil 2.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I was damn near on media blackout for this game, but were there seriously people thinking that this game wouldn't sell?

It's the relevant sequel fans everywhere have been waiting over a decade for.
In hindsight, a lot of the prediction threads are hilarious. I'd go as far as saying the majority of posters said that KH3 would CAP at 5 million, even accounting for a PC port down the road.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It's easy to talk about ship number because publishers get orders from retailer in advance, and they can just add them together. Plus, why should publishers care about sell through anyway? They sell the game to retailer, all the rest falls on retailer's shoulder, publishers already get the money.
Surprised retailers rushed to buy so many copies after FFXV day one editions sat on shelves a year later.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
I hope this not considered too off topic, but what's better between Tangled, Frozen and Big Hero 6? After loving Kingdom Hearts 3, I want to watch one of these for first time. I have not watch a lot of Disney CGI movies other than Pixar movies.

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
I hope this not considered too off topic, but what's better between Untangled, Frozen and Big Hero 6? After loving Kingdom Hearts 3, I want to watch one of these for first time. I have not watch a lot of Disney CGI movies other than Pixar.
Watch them all, they are all great movies. But if only one then choose tangled.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this not considered too off topic, but what's better between Untangled, Frozen and Big Hero 6? After loving Kingdom Hearts 3, I want to watch one of these. I have not watch a lot of Disney CGI movies other than Pixar.
Watch all of them I say, personally I like BH6 among the 3

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Surprised retailers rushed to buy so many copies after FFXV day one editions sat on shelves a year later.
What does FFXV have anything to do with KH3? They are not the same franchise, and not the same dev. Should retailers order fewer copy of FIFA because ME Andromada bombed?

Retailers have their pre-order numbers, they see close door demonstration, they have detailed data on previous games' performance, they don't need ill-informed armchair analyzer to tell them how many copies they should order.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It's exactly as I said. The fanbase has built up much bigger over the past 15 years with all the spin offs where people jumped on at different points.

10mil here we come

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I hope this not considered too off topic, but what's better between Untangled, Frozen and Big Hero 6? After loving Kingdom Hearts 3, I want to watch one of these for first time. I have not watch a lot of Disney CGI movies other than Pixar.

Zootopia.

ok lol between just the 3 Frozen is obviously Disney's crown jewel but I still like Big Hero the most. It's a simple but decent story about dealing with loss and the power of SCIENCE.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. Had a blast with this game.

So, 2016 had FFXV, 2017 had NieR:A and 2019 has had KH3 all sell super well. Hopefully we get another big or semi big JRPG from Square next year. They're clearly doing very well(And I really enjoy Squares output)

2017 and 2018 it had DQ. 3 million in Japan and almost 1 million outside of it.

That sounds about right from what everyone's been saying here. I'd still imagine the budget to be massive. Is it safe to assume it crossed the $100 million mark, before marketing?

No idea. But for sure it was really expensive considering the amount of details all the scenarios have, the amount of VA for Japan and US be it for Disney or original characters and so on.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Sooo..
RE2 ships 3 million in 3 days
KH3 ships 5 million in a week
There is no way RE did 2 million in the rest of the week, maybe 1m more, so maybe 5 million vs 4 million for first week.

So while Kingdom Hearts is in the lead, I dont think RE could be counted out just yet.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I hope this not considered too off topic, but what's better between Tangled, Frozen and Big Hero 6? After loving Kingdom Hearts 3, I want to watch one of these for first time. I have not watch a lot of Disney CGI movies other than Pixar movies.
Tangled.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
What does FFXV have anything to do with KH3? They are not the same franchise, and not the same dev. Should retailers order fewer copy of FIFA because ME Andromada bombed?

Retailers have their pre-order numbers, they see close door demonstration, they have detailed data on previous games' performance, they don't need ill-informed armchair analyzer to tell them how many copies they should order.
yeah retailers are flawless indeed, that's why copies of XV stacked the shelves in 2018 unsold, they couldn't possibly make the same mistake.
They seemed to have ordered too many copies of COD & BF too, since we know their actual sales are down.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I was damn near on media blackout for this game, but were there seriously people thinking that this game wouldn't sell?

It's the relevant sequel fans everywhere have been waiting over a decade for.
Someone on another forum was beside themselves thinking literally no one would buy the game because they could just look at the leaks.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sooo..
RE2 ships 3 million in 3 days
KH3 ships 5 million in a week
There is no way RE did 2 million in the rest of the week, maybe 1m more, so maybe 5 million vs 4 million for first week.

So while Kingdom Hearts is in the lead, I dont think RE could be counted out just yet.

In the end I still think KH will outsell RE. I mean mainline KH game with broader audience and Frozen. RE while it has a very high reputation and be a long time series it's user base is still very focus and fragmented more than ever. And this is a remake of old school game.

Still. I don't see any point comparing action adventure zombie game with Jrpg with Walt Disney character. It is the most weirdest competition ever. At this rate let's compare that with MGS too and I'm sure KH will outsell that game.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Once you play a Kingdom Hearts game, there is no escape...

giphy.gif

Congrats to Square, that's fantastic!

You really can't go wrong with any of them. For me, Tangled is the strongest of the three in terms of story, so I'd recommend that one first.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
yeah retailers are flawless indeed, that's why copies of XV stacked the shelves in 2018 unsold, they couldn't possibly make the same mistake.
They seemed to have ordered too many copies of COD & BF too, since we know their actual sales are down.
Please explain "same mistake". What does it even mean? They ordered too many copies of FFXV so now they should order fewer copies of KH3? Why? Should they also order fewer copies of ToV cuz they are all JRPGs? Thees are two completely different entities, there's nothing "same" about them.

Retailers make mistake just like everyone, but they are still the best informed and most experienced. Einstein also makes mistake, doesn't mean he has to learn physics from you.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved one of the few long awaited games that I think actually lives up to the hype and the wait.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Nice, good to see more and more Japanese games doing big numbers this gen. PS360Wii gen was pretty bad for Japan.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
XV broke 5 million in a day.

It's one of the all time best selling FF games..........

Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit this is gonna blow away the previous entries in the series. Well deserved, good to see the series getting the huge exposure it deserves.

Oct 25, 2017
KH3 somehow met and surprised by expectations, it's an incredible game.

Now give me a Final Mix expansion with post-game content, better balance, ability to turn off attraction flow, and Critical Mode so this game goes from a 9 to a 10.

And start working on KH4.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And this is based on what exactly? The game shipped 5 million first month, then 6.5 a few weeks after that and crawled all the way over 8 million, that's the opposite of copies remaining unsold.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic result. Game is incredible, deserves every sale.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
XV broke 5 million in a day.

It's one of the all time best selling FF games..........

Don't wanna be that guy but all of these number are shipment. And there was the ovetshipmebt situation with FFXV that anybody who follow sale thread know.

Pulling out number from my ass , usually the game should end up ( LTD ) with double the amount of first shipment. So if the company massively over ship it's first stock it will end up with the that shipment account for 70-80% of the LTD. ( only Nintendo games have legs which can keep selling for 200 years ).

At least in japan it took FFXV 3 months to reach the number of first shipment. But I'm pretty sure it sell better elsewhere so SquareEnix can still push second shipment.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Tangled is in my top 5 favorite movies of all time, Frozen is in my top 15, and Big Hero 6 is in my top 50.
I remember going to see Tangled and expecting crap based on some trailers. Instead I got a wonderfully charming animated feature. Such a great movie.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm expecting it and it's big brother Final Fantasy XV to go on to be the best selling Square titles. I have a feeling they will have very similar sales by the end of things.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
And this is based on what exactly? The game shipped 5 million first month, then 6.5 a few weeks after that and crawled all the way over 8 million, that's the opposite of copies remaining unsold.
Lmao. FFXV only sold so well and was the fastest selling in the series was because Tabata forced people buy it. Trust me, I saw it with my own eyes at my local store.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to talk about ship number because publishers get orders from retailer in advance, and they can just add them together. Plus, why should publishers care about sell through anyway? They sell the game to retailer, all the rest falls on retailer's shoulder, publishers already get the money.

Of course a pub has to care about sell through.
You think if a games ships to many copies and there unsold the retailer eat all of that lost \ cost ?
Not saying that going to happen with KH3 but it more complex than that .

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the sales, I read a report earlier today it topped the UK charts for the first time ever in the series and somewhat surprisingly, the PS4 version was said to have sold 82% of the total number of units.

I know the rest of the games aren't available on Xbox, but I didn't think it would be so lopsided as that.

Do you guys think America will have a similar outcome or will Xbox version have a little better luck than it did in the UK?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
well deserved! KH3 is the best game in the franchise by a lot.
I remember when KH2 came out and people had the exact same negative reaction and now they call it a masterpiece, so I know
KH3 skeptics will come around in a year or two for this one as well.
That reaction was there because the game was super unbalanced at release, drive forms had loading times, etc. It was very much warranted, but FM basically fixed every issue and then some.

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its actually on the decline ,not good at all, vanilla kh1+2 outsold vanilla god of war 1+2 on the ps2

God of war outsold kh3 is in less than three days.