• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Guess the Review Score

• 95+

Votes: 42 3.3%
  • 90-94

Votes: 192 15.2%
  • 85-89

Votes: 592 46.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 366 28.9%
  • < 80

Votes: 73 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man people really latching stupidly on the drug part and the "moral" implications or whatever.
I compared it to a thing that might bring enjoyment and yet is not "good". It's logically sound because it clearly proves that enjoyment is not intrinsically linked to critical evaluation of a thing. I know this is inconceivable to many on this board who would perceive any kind of criticism to their favorite thing as a most personal sleight. But it's a reality.

I never denied that I actually pretty much stated as much that I don't expect the majority on this board to be capable of critical thinking and that's fine. If people sleep better with them telling themselves whatever they like must be good or else they wouldn't like it. Sure. I for one remain that you can be critical about the things you like acknowledge flaws and might even intellectually recognize them as bad in the context of a proposed framework but I know I'm a minority on that on this board.
Totally not mad online.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I liked all of the worlds except for the big castle in the frozen world, the pillars that moved the levels around got me confused and made 100% the level a bit of a nightmare.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Inaccurate. Annoyed describes it better.

You can't just throw out an analogy then get frustrated when people focus on the specifics of the analogy to say it doesn't work. You want people to just accept your point at face value, then you accuse them of not being able to "think critically" because they...start thinking critically about what you said.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
People can enjoy drugs and those can be bad right?
The same way people can enjoy reading Twilight because in certain ways that story feeds into teenager wish fulfillment, but also features very questionable things like werewolf pedophilia. If that's not bad... then yikes.

So demonstrably one's enjoyment doesn't automatically equal to one's qualitative assessment of a thing. Well at least if one engages in honest critical thinking but sure it's not very common on these boards.
I was more addressing the people who believe the series to be objectively good.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man people really latching stupidly on the drug part and the "moral" implications or whatever.
I compared it to a thing that might bring enjoyment and yet is not "good". It's logically sound because it clearly proves that enjoyment is not intrinsically linked to critical evaluation of a thing. I know this is inconceivable to many on this board who would perceive any kind of criticism to their favorite thing as a most personal sleight. But it's a reality.

I never denied that I actually pretty much stated as much that I don't expect the majority on this board to be capable of critical thinking and that's fine. If people sleep better with them telling themselves whatever they like must be good or else they wouldn't like it. Sure. I for one remain that you can be critical about the things you like acknowledge flaws and might even intellectually recognize them as bad in the context of a proposed framework but I know I'm a minority on that on this board.
People can acknowledge something is flawed and still think it's just good.

Trying to claim your some lone objective intellectual in this board just makes you come across as overly pretentious.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
People can acknowledge something is flawed and still think it's just good.

Trying to claim your some lone objective intellectual in this board just makes you come across as overly pretentious.
I'm not claiming that. I just think the general level of discourse on era is pretty fucking low and statements like this prove it. Being just mediocre at logic kind of makes you automatically one of the most reasonable people around.

You say you can acknowledge a flaw and still think it's good but that just doesn't work logically.
The process of recognizing a flaw is making a value judgement on recognizing something as bad. Thus these aren't compatible. Unless I guess you're one of those special people that will somehow claim a flaw they themselves acknowledge is actually "good".
What's actually happening here is as I already said at the very start you can critically recognize something as flawed but still emotionally enjoy it.

This is simple logic it has nothing to do with being a lone objective intellectual. I never spoke of objectivity that's just your own bad misunderstanding and inability to actually absorb what I'm saying. That's the last I'm going to speak on it I'm honestly tired of these low tier arguments. Nothing I say will stop fanboys from being fanboys so might as well bow out now.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not claiming that. I just think the general level of discourse on era is pretty fucking low and statements like this prove it. Being just mediocre at logic kind of makes you automatically one of the most reasonable people around.

You say you can acknowledge a flaw and still think it's good but that just doesn't work logically.
The process of recognizing a flaw is making a value judgement on recognizing something as bad. Thus these aren't compatible. Unless I guess you're one of those special people that will somehow claim a flaw they themselves acknowledge is actually "good".
What's actually happening here is as I already said at the very start you can critically recognize something as flawed but still emotionally enjoy it.

This is simple logic it has nothing to do with being a lone objective intellectual. I never spoke of objectivity that's just your own bad misunderstanding and inability to actually absorb what I'm saying. That's the last I'm going to speak on it I'm honestly tired of these low tier arguments. Nothing I say will stop fanboys from being fanboys so might as well bow out now.
Yeah here's a tip. You want people to listen to you then I suggest dropping the high and mighty intellectual crap. The passive aggressive insults don't help either.

And no you can absolutely claim something is flawed and not consider it bad because there are both layers to flaws and people who are bothered by different things.

A game being to easy might(one of the things I do fault KH3 for) isn't on the same level as something like Fallout 76's glitches.

Both are flaws but I imagine some people might have an easier time with one.

On my second point some people might not be bothered by something that others might.

I acknowledge that some people might not like a game being 30fps but it doesn't bother me personally.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
It seems like early reviewers were heavily overhyping this game for some reason and this is odd because recent reviews and word of mouth have been rather mixed. Worst of all is that it probably will go lower since it still doesn't have that many reviews.

This is a weird case overall.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe A game had 89 metascore at first now become 83 Score. Look like KH is not for everyone
Square knew what they were doing with the limited reviews when embargo ended. Just seems like a lack of confidence and not "fear of spoilers" and i lost respect for them because of that tbh.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Btw here is the Opecritic page.
https://opencritic.com/game/1532/kingdom-hearts-iii/charts
As you can see the game is still 85 just without the Edge review and most reviewers give this game an 8.
Even if there are some 6 or 7, which are totally fair, they don't even mention the flaws fans think the game has. maybe with the exception of the difficulty.
So what trying to say is don't read too much into all this.
To me that's totally not surprising, this game would definitely have had some bad scores because of the story
that would bring the MC down.

A similar thing happened with the MC score of DQXI too but not to that extent of course.

Oct 27, 2017
Btw here is the Opecritic page.
https://opencritic.com/game/1532/kingdom-hearts-iii/charts
As you can see the game is still 85 just without the Edge review and most reviewers give this game an 8.
Even if there are some 6 or 7, which are totally fair, they don't even mention the flaws fans think the game has. maybe with the exception of the difficulty.
So what trying to say is don't read too much into all this.
To me that's totally not surprising, this game would definitely have had some bad scores because of the story
that would bring the MC down.

A similar thing happened with the MC score of DQXI too but not to that extent of course.
Because DQ XI is a much better game and in its simplicity had characters that were well detailed without falling in the usual anime tropes. Also story was interesting, simple to follow and has so much content on day one that i don't think KH III will have even with the final mix Dlc.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Lower than 1 and 2. It's the weakest in the numbered trilogy by far, so it's fair :P

So it took over a month for the score to normalize after 89 (!) from early reviews. SE is still not able to get out of lower 80s from it's AAA games.

It's sad really. Capcom on the other hand has 2 90+ games and will likely have another one next week.

SE need to step up their game.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Because DQ XI is a much better game and in its simplicity had characters that were well detailed without falling in the usual anime tropes. Also story was interesting, simple to follow and has so much content on day one that i don't think KH III will have even with the final mix Dlc.

Yeah and I agree.I think DQXI is the best game SE game this gen.
For me KHIII is second but that's another story...
Funny thing is most reviewers that gave the game a 6 didn't even mention your complains.
On the contrary I saw some reviews that mentioned the exact same things you mention and gave the game an 8.
So that's why I mention don't read too much into the number and start reading the reviews :P.