ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I came to the series really late, with the ports on PS3, and I was surprised at how I felt on this issue. Before playing the series, i joined in making fun of the dumb titles and never really had any interest in the dumb, bad anime plot. But once I played the games I was surprised at how much I didn't care about the Disney stuff at all. I mean, I still enjoy the worlds and aesthtics, but any story content that had to do with the disney worlds was just brutal.

Even though the original stuff isn't great I felt invested in what was going on. I ended up really enjoying BbS on a story level just to see how things connected as a prequel to 1 and 2. I really don't care about any of the disney content. It's cool, but I'm here for the cheesy anime and really fun combat.

Yeah, this. Kingdom Hearts has a... serviceable amine plot, but the fact that it happens to Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy is what makes it unique. There are many Xehanort style villains with a convoluted plot then DARKNESS, but only one has gotten told off by Mickey Mouse.

Kingdom Hearts would be weaker as a pure Disney game and forgettable as a pure anime game. But put the two together and you suddenly have Donald Duck say "Look! It's Sephiroth!" and play it perfectly straight. And that is just... magic. Stupid, but magic.
Yeah this is a good way to put it.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Disney. The further they go down that anime rabbit hole the worse and worse it happily gets. Like, god damn.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's at its best when they mix the two, like having a world not just being a retelling of the movie, but actually having it being involved in the overall plot. Overall though, yeah I like the original stuff. I honestly don't understand how you could like the series just for the Disney stuff. It all ranges from ok to boring as fuck.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
without the disney stuff KH would be in the dumpster with all the other B tier PS2 RPGS

Groof

Oct 26, 2017
what made kh1 so great was how the disney stuff tied so well into the original & square stuff. as soon as the original shit started taking over it took a nosedive into a dumpster fire. DDD was absolutely terrible and i have no hopes for kh3 but i'll still play it because i'm too deep in this rabbit hole.

aqua is p peng tho

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
The original side grew into this hideous, untamable beast. Enjoyed it at first, now I can't stand it. And I haven't even played DDD yet.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only on it for the original and FF stuff.
The Disney stuff is a little cute background thing for me.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I only play the games and was interested in them for the Disney stuff. Being able to explore the worlds and meet the Disney characters is what does it for me. The rest is very generic and dull in comparison.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Original, even if it may be ridiculously convoluted and drawn out.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Around the time of Kingdom Hearts 2 it was the original stuff. Nowadays I'm just treating the game like a theme park.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I used to like KH original stuff, but as I'm older now, I've realized I like Disney stuff a lot more. The dialogue in KH is painful to read and/or listen to
The rest is very generic and dull in comparison.
Kingdom Hearts is a lot of things, but "very generic and dull" are probably the few things it isn't. You could say it's hot trash because it is, you could say it's awesome because it's also awesome, the gameplay and the concept alone of FF x Disney as well as the world designs. But KH is anything but generic or dull

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the middle of KH2 right now and I would say I prefer the original material. The Disney stuff is just rehashed movie plots with Sora and the gang tossed in.

Overall none of it is very captivating.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Both but leaning more towards the original plot. Kingdom Hearts wouldn't exist to this day if they got rid of the Disney stuff, neither would I be a fan if they got rid of the original plot.

What they could do is execute both parts better.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Original. It wouldn't be KH without Disney, but the dumb anime insanity of the original stuff is a big reason why I love the games.

lumenflower

Jan 8, 2018
NY
Original content for sure. KH wouldn't be KH without the Disney elements, and I love Disney movies, but I am completely over-invested in its silly anime nonsense plot. I love it, and it's what keeps me coming back.

Buying KH3 to see what happens to the characters, and how it wraps up. Cool Disney stuff is a just a nice bonus.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The Disney stuff. I couldn't give a solitary wet fart about whatever clever plot Nomura's cooked up.

The day this series decided to sideline the entire reason it was novel in the first place was when I started to dislike it.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I love Disney and Final Fantasy, but I definitely prefer the original content. I think of the Disney worlds and characters as backdrops, with the Final Fantasy characters as cool cameos. The original content is what I'm after and what I love.

Kurtelle

Banned
Feb 11, 2018
Original material. Normally, Disney stuff is less exciting and has little importance to the plot with some exceptions. What I don't like is how the Disney part has monopolized so much the KH games nowadays and the Final Fantasy part has been almost forgotten.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
As a teenager I preferred the original material and despised Disney

Now that I'm an adult, the original material makes me feel embarrassed and I adore the Disney parts

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Disney by a country mile, i wish Mickey was the protagonist instead of Sora and Maleficent&Co. more than just side villains to Xehanort.

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
I love both honestly, but I keep coming back primarily to see the end of the Sora / Xehanort arc so I'd have to say that.

JP Cubish

Nov 6, 2017
Disney stuff by far. Disney interactive's original idea was to have Square make a Disney RPG, but Square insisted on their own characters being involved.

I would love to have an RPG based solely on the Mickey & Friends characters. Have it set in Mouseton and/or Duckburg and draw upon the classic cartoon shorts and Carl Barks/Floyd Gottfredson comic books.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Dumb FF cameos > Exposition XIII > Disney stuff

Infinity 3.0 scratched that Disney itch in a way none of the KH games ever really did for me

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The Chernabog fight was the coolest fucking part of the game.

Then you had a fight with a Resident Evil anime battleship... a metaphor of the potential this series would happily squander.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Both are great but I'm leaning towards original content, wish there were more original worlds that were actual worlds and not barren worlds like Keyblade graveyard, "End of the world", etc.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
The Disney stuff for me. I love The Nightmare Before Christmas and that world being included, twice, was such a treat. i even liked the Pirates of the Caribbean world, I don't care what ya'll say. Olympus Coliseum and the Underworld, Disney Castle and the Timeless River, etc. There are so many great highlights.

Small problem though. I don't like the new Disney. The new Star Wars movies, the Marvel movies, the Pixar sequels, etc. Not my cup of tea. Once those IPs make their way into the KH series, I'll either not be playing anymore or be more interested in the nonsensical anime plot.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
Disney stuff, I'd say. It's what makes the enviroments as varied and the "go through different worlds" motif in the series wouldn't work without it. Well, it could, if they used public domain fairy tales as the source material for most worlds, but it wouldn't be the same and it definitely wouldn't be as exciting wondering which property would be announced as part of the game next.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Disney, none of the JRPG stuff interest's me in the least. Pretty much sour's me on the game.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
No shame here..... the main reason I even played the original Kingdom Hearts was for Cloud (this is back before he was in everything SE pushed out the door). And I stuck around for the original (and FF) stuff. I never identified much with Disney. The Disney princess crap has always been very off-putting to me.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Disney stuff is usually kind of boring or watered down versions of the movies with sora haphazardly thrown in. The original stuff is loads better and why I play and love the series.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Disney stuff or I probably wouldn't be interested at all. I wish the Disney stuff tied in with the story more though.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
It's 50/50 for me.

I like the original content and the Disney stuff equally. If they abandoned the original stuff, I'm not sure I would still enjoy Kingdom Hearts. Same for the Disney stuff.

Echolocation

Oct 27, 2017
The Disney aspects are the sole reason I was interested in the series and are probably 80-85% of the reason I'm still interested, with the rest going to gameplay/FF cameos/original story. I like roaming around the Disney worlds (and the original ones), and would prefer it if they integrated everything together rather than rehash the movie plots with Sora + co. in place of their protagonists, but they still haven't nailed that even with so many releases. Without the Disney parts I probably would have abandoned the series.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Put it this way; there's a reason a JRPG that hasn't had a main instalment in 13 years has remained so strongly in public memory, and it isn't the clone/shadow clone/remnant of a shadow clone bullshit the narrative has made its jam.

KasumiYukari

Oct 28, 2017
Kingdom Hearts was at its best for me in 1 when the Disney villains were an actual big part of the story, I don't care much for Organization 13 and once the mystery of them was revealed, they just felt cheesy to me. I do like some of the original elements in KH (Riku is the best) too but give me more of the Disney stuff.