Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay this Realism Mod is a bit ridiculous actually.

It nerfs my stamina, buffs the crap out of armor along with tripling the bandit groups whom also seem to be much more decked out in heavy armor than in the base game. This is not realistic and swords are completely useless. I might have to try the different versions because this is too much.

I hate it when people use "realistic" to simply mean "harder for the player."

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I wasn't really looking forward to the hunting quest with sir Hans that much, as hunting wasn't really something I was interested, and I thought it would mostly be a tutorial quest introducing you to hunting, but holy shit, what an amazing quest!

Goddamn, this game is awesome. And it keeps making me like characters I decided to hate. How do they do that?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Had a thought regarding the treatment/lack of interesting female/foreign characters in this game.

Two characters, namely the Rattay executioner and the Uzhitz priest, are considered outsiders. The executioner is given a wide berth by everyone, to the extent that the widow of one of his victims is advised that if she keeps hanging around him she'll be spat on etc. There's no *historically accurate* reason that Henry should feel any different right? If he's a person 'of this time', then he too should be disgusted by this executioner, or offended by this drunken fornicator of a priest. And yet, in both cases, you're able to help these people out, even befriend them, even though the rest of the townsfolk would frown upon such actions.

Women and foreigners/refugees are treated similarly to the executioner and priest in this world, in particular any who overstep their bounds. A woman who wants to arm herself and fight bandits for example, or become a blacksmith. Or a travelling merchant who isn't allowed to sell his goods in the market square because he looks like the Cumans.

There is definitely room for these stories and I don't think anyone coming across the above examples would immediately think "well this is just unbelievable! Preposterous!" The rules of historical accuracy seem to be bent for white male outsiders, but there's no room for the same treatment for women or people of colour?

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
You know, I wasn't really looking forward to the hunting quest with sir Hans that much, as hunting wasn't really something I was interested, and I thought it would mostly be a tutorial quest introducing you to hunting, but holy shit, what an amazing quest!

Goddamn, this game is awesome. And it keeps making me like characters I decided to hate. How do they do that?

The best part is Hans is actually the nicest/coolest bro a guy can ask for. He believes in brotherhood over status.
At first, I wanted punch Hans, but now: SUP BRAH? Bar tonight?
His voice actor is amazing in portraying Hans in all those funny scenes with Henry.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
About repairs..

Is there any other way to repair my armor other than by using the kit or service of an armorsmith? My skill is still too low to use the kit, and it's too pricey with the armorsmith. Repairing my swords is free, in comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
The best part is Hans is actually the nicest/coolest bro a guy can ask for. He believes in brotherhood over status.
At first, I wanted punch Hans, but now: SUP BRAH? Bar tonight?
His voice actor is amazing in portraying Hans in all those funny scenes with Henry.
Exactly! He was presented as a typical asshole nobleman who will oppose the good poor guy and become a rival figure. He may or may not change his views about you after some important event. But shortly after that we get his quest, and even before the biggest part of the quest he already bonds with you and you create a connection, and a mutual respect. He was offended that someone like you dared to treat you the way you did before, but it's clear that in some way he was also impressed, and that made him respect you more.

Yes, he's still an asshole, but that's just one part of who he is, he's also a pretty interesting guy who holds uncommon views for his status.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
One of the most fun things I have done was take on that whole big camp of cuman bandits . running out of stamina is annoying, but tolerable and challenging . This mod makes it worse ?

Most definitely, it feels almost impossible to regenerate your stamina. So with the mod the random bandits that will attack you when you fast travel are now about 6 enemies and about 4 of them are heavily armored. So you have to deal with the usual bit where they perfect block most attacks you throw out and when you actually manage to hit them if you're using a sword you're very unlikely to do any damage anyway. When walking backwards you do not regenerate stamina either so you're getting multiple enemies constantly trying to circle around your flank while dealing with the wonky targeting system having all of your attacks thwarted, it's a disaster if you want to use a sword at all. With a mace it's easier because it just does so much more damage, and I get why but with the way the game is designed swords have a lot more moves not to mention I just like swords a lot more. Longswords were definitely OP in the vanilla version of the game but the mod goes too far the other way that it feels far too punishing.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus fucking Christ I just lost hours of progress. Went to sharpen my sword and the game just froze. Of course I didn't save because I couldn't thanks to the save system. I really do not feel like doing all of that again.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking Christ I just lost hours of progress. Went to sharpen my sword and the game just froze. Of course I didn't save because I couldn't thanks to the save system. I really do not feel like doing all of that again.

I feel you. I would have quit this game long ago if I didn't install that unrestricted save game mod. The game is just not polished and stable enough to trust it with anything over 30 minutes of gameplay/progress.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've been dropping merigold decotions and saviour schnaps in cooking pots I encounter.
I don't think it does anything, but it would be nice if the effects of those potions were applied to eating from the pot. Like, after eating from that particular pot it would heal me and save my game.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had a thought regarding the treatment/lack of interesting female/foreign characters in this game.

Two characters, namely the Rattay executioner and the Uzhitz priest, are considered outsiders. The executioner is given a wide berth by everyone, to the extent that the widow of one of his victims is advised that if she keeps hanging around him she'll be spat on etc. There's no *historically accurate* reason that Henry should feel any different right? If he's a person 'of this time', then he too should be disgusted by this executioner, or offended by this drunken fornicator of a priest. And yet, in both cases, you're able to help these people out, even befriend them, even though the rest of the townsfolk would frown upon such actions.

Women and foreigners/refugees are treated similarly to the executioner and priest in this world, in particular any who overstep their bounds. A woman who wants to arm herself and fight bandits for example, or become a blacksmith. Or a travelling merchant who isn't allowed to sell his goods in the market square because he looks like the Cumans.

There is definitely room for these stories and I don't think anyone coming across the above examples would immediately think "well this is just unbelievable! Preposterous!" The rules of historical accuracy seem to be bent for white male outsiders, but there's no room for the same treatment for women or people of colour?

Yeah man that's just how it goes with this game. Just gotta decide how much it bothers you.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, there's really no defense for the "historically accurate" approach considering how absolutely preposterous and outlandish the exploits of the main character are in this game. Going from a poor illiterate blacksmith to a badass knight that can slaughter armored foes by the dozen and read books from front to back in hours while becoming a master of alchemy and all other manner of skills all in the span of a couple of months is just nonsensical if historical accuracy was the biggest priority for developing the game.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's really no defense for the "historically accurate" approach considering how absolutely preposterous and outlandish the exploits of the main character are in this game. Going from a poor illiterate blacksmith to a badass knight that can slaughter armored foes by the dozen and read books from front to back in hours while becoming a master of alchemy and all other manner of skills all in the span of a couple of months is just nonsensical if historical accuracy was the biggest priority for developing the game.

Well actually historical inaccuracy is only a problem when it involves representing and/or empowering women and/or minorities. An illiterate peasant living in a rigidly hierarchical feudal society rapidly becoming a superpowered badass who beds noblewomen and singlehandedly clears out bandit camps may be a bit of a stretch, but that's nowhere near as ridiculous as women having agency or ethnic minorities existing. Power fantasies starring white men are just the requirements of game design and why are you taking it so seriously it's just a game jeez.

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand

Game is amazing at this, at first I didn't like Father Godwin either....oh how that changed.

Hans is bro, bro is Hans.

I keep thinking about this game whilst at my desk here at work...it's killing me slowly, I'm a faint-hearted knight right now.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
So I got some really nice body armor, and people started calling me Knight??? When did that happen.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well actually historical inaccuracy is only a problem when it involves representing and/or empowering women and/or minorities. An illiterate peasant living in a rigidly hierarchical feudal society rapidly becoming a superpowered badass who beds noblewomen and singlehandedly clears out bandit camps may be a bit of a stretch, but that's nowhere near as ridiculous as women having agency or ethnic minorities existing. Power fantasies starring white men are just the requirements of game design and why are you taking it so seriously it's just a game jeez.

Yeah, I hope this kind of discussion isn't banned at this point (I'm a bit unclear), but after playing the game for 30+ hours, it's pretty clear that historical accuracy was not a terribly huge priority here given how the story pans out. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, but it's definitely a bit of a power fantasy for white men and it's only more suspect given the views the director has espoused.

So I got some really nice body armor, and people started calling me Knight??? When did that happen.

"Hey, it's Henry! Henry's come to visit us!" says random peasant in a town you've never visited before.

Yeah, the shit is janky as hell when it comes to non-scripted NPC interactions.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm very ready to finish the game. I love it, but I just finished (read: murdered) the Monastery and the game's just sort of lost all variety for about 4-5 hours now. Knocking out all the good side quests so early on and powering myself up really fucked me over.

Mid-story minor spoiler:

One-shotting Runt made me realize I might have overdone it

Also yes this game's a shameless white male power fantasy. Anyone who tried to defend it as something else is probably arguing in bad faith tbh. Honestly, if I'd known earlier I might have skipped out on things or at least waited for a sale, but I already owned the game before learning Vavra's views, so, eh.

Oct 25, 2017
i've been looking at this rebalance mod. It's pretty extensive. Calling it simply a rebalance mod is definitely doing it injustice.

I'll check it out and tell ya'll if it's worth it. Pretty huge changes

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Speaking of mods, this one seems promising.

Henry's face customization

fm6vir.png

19uot3.png

a2prev.png

What's the deal with your horse. Do you just leave him anywhere and go back to him or something else?
It's like most open world games with horse. You call your horse by whistling and poof, it'll be there in an instant.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
You can just leave it and do whatever if you need to. Then when you want it back press Y (Xbox controller) to whistle or (whatever the equivalent is on your control scheme) and the horse will spawn in your location.

Ah, how convenient

How do you come by lock picks? Do stores sell them?

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, how convenient

How do you come by lock picks? Do stores sell them?
Millers sell them

Also i am pissed beyond words over this save system. I get what the devs were trying to do but ffs all these bugs are really ruining it.
Im locked out of the final hanz quest because the game wont register the flowers i picked in the previous mission. By the time i managed to get the game to register them the mission failed because it was morning. Last save was several hours ago.

Also lol at my commander talking to like im some noble cos i swiped some armor off of one of the guards.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is the only way to heal in this game is by sleeping?]]

There are certain items/potions that you can eat that will also heal you over time, read the descriptions of the things in your inventory. You can also go to the baths if they are in a town that is close by and they offer healing, washing, clothes cleaning and some *ahem* other services.

Oct 25, 2017
is the only way to heal in this game is by sleeping?]]

Some foods like fruit, dried fruit, dried mushrooms, etc will have Healing properties (usually 3-5 hp)

There is a marigold decoction that heals for 30 hp over a minute or so, and alchemy perks can double the effect. There is also a Lazurus Potion that heals you completely over a few minutes.

Marigold decoction is the bread and butter healing potion. Very easy to make and the materials needed are very common

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some foods like fruit, dried fruit, dried mushrooms, etc will have Healing properties (usually 3-5 hp)

There is a marigold decoction that heals for 30 hp over a minute or so, and alchemy perks can double the effect. There is also a Lazurus Potion that heals you completely over a few minutes.

Marigold decoction is the bread and butter healing potion. Very easy to make and the materials needed are very common

To add to this, garlic has the strongest healing power of any of the more "regular" foods that I've come across and it doesn't go off. So if you find some hold on to it for times of need.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised I haven't seen more people posting about the questions and answers bug, seems pretty widespread.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone did the "A friend indeed" quest? Is there anyway....

To find out what really happened to the miller's son? Doing this quest and talking to all of them leads you to suspect Old Thomas of having did something, especially when you hear about the missing scarf that his sister gave him and then if you pickpocket Thomas you find it on him.

However doing this and then talking to Thomas he doesn't admit to anything, he makes he sound like he took it just to remind me of his promise to run the mill. If you give it to the sister then she will confront him and run him off.

There's just no concrete resolution for finding out if he did anything or not that I can find yet. I went looking to see if you could find the accident site but no luck there either.

Anyone figure out anything more on this?

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I think I'm near the end of the game and I'm starting to lose interest. Just went through a couple of interesting (if not poorly executed) missions that appeared to be leading towards wrapping everything up and in the next quest I'm being dumped with like 10 boring errands that take me all around the map. I'm assuming each of these errands is going to be a mini quest in its own, because it's never as simple as just going to the destination in this game. Always need to solve someone's problem or do some investigating before being able to check the box.

philm87

Jan 9, 2018

Why not just hire a bed for 2 Groschen? I don't let it go over an hour without saving, not so much because of bugs, but because I'll accidentally pick pocket someone when I'm trying to talk to them again!

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played this game all last week.
Then I realized a week later/yesterday. I effed myself over by doing the miller quest to steal a horse when I was like lvl 5.

Bro, I would spoiler the horse' name as that is a deliberate design choice that might be a pretty annoying spoiler for most. I kind of wish I didn't read that too.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Why not just hire a bed for 2 Groschen? I don't let it go over an hour without saving, not so much because of bugs, but because I'll accidentally pick pocket someone when I'm trying to talk to them again!
I've rented all the inns I came across permanently, just in case. 200 coins for each room is pretty cheap after a few hours.