• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The survival mechanics is what puts me off the most. Might give it a go one day but having to sleep/eat/bathe etc just sounds boring. Especially as there are timed quests.

Isn't the save system strange as well?

Bathing is super easy when you realize most towns have tubs out that you can wash in, and food you can easily get from any tavern for free as well as your house (bit pot of stew that you can eat from).

Then there's bathhouses which provide you with the best cleaning of both your clothes, etc. (more then the tubs do).

It's not hard at all to keep up with either really.

The save system has three ways to save, one relies on having a certain drink that when you use it it lets you save, then you can save if you sleep which is easier to do as well and lastly, when you exit the game it saves too.

ON pc you can always mod it to let you save without having a drink on you for that, so if you'd like to be able to save anywhere without having to horde those drinks or buy them that's one way to get around it.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The survival mechanics is what puts me off the most. Might give it a go one day but having to sleep/eat/bathe etc just sounds boring. Especially as there are timed quests.

Isn't the save system strange as well?
If you don't play on hard core or whatever the ultra simulationist option is called those elements do not come up much. You need to eat and sleep occasionally but there are plenty of easy/cheap opportunities to do so in the game world. It helps if you bathe when trying diplomancy. But generally it's not really a deal breaker.

The saving system is a bigger issue, true. Basically it is a "save points only" (the game only saves when you go to sleep and possibly autosaves at certain points if you have that option turned on), but you can brew/buy a special drink that allows you to save anywhere (and gets you drunk, possibly alcoholic even eventually). There are mods who allow you to save anywhere though, if you want to. I surprisingly ended up not having many issues with it in the end, even though I expected to hate it.

EDIT: right, they eventually implemented save&quit too, after I was already done with the game

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now THAT'S a cop-out.

I might be pushing it too far, but to me that sounds like 'It's a bad world, what does it matter what I do?'.

I mean if you live in a first world country you are undoubtedly giving money to terrible corporations who are much worse for the world than some racist guy on Twitter who owns a game studio. If someone wants a nice RPG and this scratches that itch I won't berate them for it. Just like I don't berate people who eat at Chikfila or shop at Amazon. Everyone has a right to not support these things for moral reasons if they choose, and I don't berate them either.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I mean if you live in a first world country you are undoubtedly giving money to terrible corporations who are much worse for the world than some racist guy on Twitter who owns a game studio. If someone wants a nice RPG and this scratches that itch I won't berate them for it. Just like I don't berate people who eat at Chikfila or shop at Amazon. Everyone has a right to not support these things for moral reasons if they choose, and I don't berate them either.

Sure, you do you and I largely agree - but the blank slate that is 'eh, everything's shit anyway so whatever I do doesn't matter' isn't a great philosophical position imo.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
However some consumption is still more ethical than others. For instance I can choose an RPG not made under the purview of somebody who loudly supported a harassment campaign.

And that's fine, just like someone choosing not to support Chikfila is fine. I don't berate those that do though. Amazon is up there for companies I despise the most, and I try not to use it best I can. I don't berate my roommates whenever they get an Amazon package though. Inform people so they can choose what they consume, but I think the post I quoted was a bit loaded and wanted to comment.

Sep 12, 2018
And that's fine, just like someone choosing not to support Chikfila is fine. I don't berate those that do though. Amazon is up there for companies I despise the most, and I try not to use it best I can. I don't berate my roommates whenever they get an Amazon package though. Inform people so they can choose what they consume, but I think the post I quoted was a bit loaded and wanted to comment.
I can't see anybody being berated for playing the game though. All I'm seeing is signal boosting of the dev's beliefs, which I think is a grain of salt that should accompany every discussion of this game.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game ran like arse on my PC. So much jank and so many bugs, so I decided to uninstall after like 5 hours

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
We're not shitting up anything, nor are we going anywhere. Problematic views of people directly related to a games development and publication is always on topic for any discussion related to said games, and thankfully the mod team agrees.

Except that this thread was to talk about how good or bad the game is, not the controversy sourrounding its director. I wish derailment policies were applied in every scenario and not just arbitrarily.

There are some people like me that agree with the issues that people have with its creator and STILL would like to be able to have a thread somewhere sometime to be able to discuss the quality of the game. But seems impossible here.

Im considering picking this up for PC once im done with DMC5.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
It's a fantastic and underrated game for sure, I watch a YouTube channel called sexybiscuit who covers Kingdom Come, I would also recommend her channel.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
It's decent, I still find hard to get through all the jank despite finishing the game, can't see me replaying it. The suffering!

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looked very intriguing and I was digging the whole "classic RPG in an authentic historical setting" concept but then I read up on how the game treats female and gay characters (the former are apparently mainly presented as passive objects without much agency and the only two gay characters are apparently vile bad guys) and was like "thanks, but no thanks". The story is also supposedly told through a somewhat nationalist filter where some information is withheld or altered to make one group of people look morally superior to others, etc. Would love to play a version of this game that wasn't written by a right-winger.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
To me, the problem with this is claiming someone is a nazi who isn't one. Or racist. Vávra can be accused of some things - yes he was an asshole to some people on twitter, yes he likes music by Burzum (and black metal in general), yes he supported gamergate (in as much as he stupidly considered it fight against censorship), yes he is a conservative.

Are you really attempting to downplay Daniel Vavra's bullshit? Dude was signal boosting far right propaganda and it is clear as day what Gamer Gate was about since its very inception, he fucking knew what movement he was aligning himself with. Fuck off with your attempt to frame his racism as him being just an ass hole, fuck off with your attempt to frame him as merely a conservative, when he was signal boosting Nazi propaganda. You're full of shit dude.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
We're not shitting up anything, nor are we going anywhere. Problematic views of people directly related to a games development and publication is always on topic for any discussion related to said games, and thankfully the mod team agrees.

Mod team sanctioned derailment is always good time and lets not pretend that discussions about e.g. questionable or abhorrent political views of game dev team member don't absolutely derail and hijack general discussion threads about their game(s).

Sep 12, 2018
I am actually fine with the stink of the developer's views following this game wherever it goes. To me it'd almost be irresponsible for it not to be brought up.

Same goes for The Last Night too.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, you do you and I largely agree - but the blank slate that is 'eh, everything's shit anyway so whatever I do doesn't matter' isn't a great philosophical position imo.

If you think about it, it's not even technically possible to post a comment like your's, on the internet, without supporting something as bad or worse than what's being discussed here.

Not saying you shouldn't point these things out, but there's just no way of not being hypocritical about it, but still reaching an audience and having the desired effect.

As for the game, I quit it the second I realized the starting tutorials were mandatory and it wouldn't let me jump the fence and run into the world straight away, even if just to die to the first enemy/obstacle.
For some reason that made me really frustrated and I never went back to it.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Mod team sanctioned derailment is always good time and lets not pretend that discussions about e.g. questionable or abhorrent political views of game dev team member don't absolutely derail and hijack general discussion threads about their game(s).

Deal with it, Vavra is the face of Warhorse and Kingdom Come. I followed the Kickstarter very closely before Vavra chose to publicly shit the bed, I watched the development diaries and read the updates, Vavra was plastered all over it.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
This game is amazing. I need to finish it. I have left so many games unfinished this gen..

Mar 29, 2018
The person in question has oversight and input on crucial high-level decisions. The person in question still did, likely, a minority of work on the game. Not the grunt work or implementation work or marketing or art or bug fixing, which will have been handled by tens of other people. (I'm being a tiny bit disingenuous - he'll have done a lot of that stuff, but I mean the entire team have done the majority of work - it's a huge collaboration, so pinning the label "most important" on anyone is daft.

Think about your workplace. Assuming you have a boss, would you be OK if people started slandering and boycotting YOUR work because your boss got outed as an intolerant/prejudiced person?

Or think about a film set, where it's easier to visualise all the roles and how one person does not represent the whole effort.

Scene: The director is one dude standing behind a camera to one side. There are three large camera rigs scattered around, each with up to three other staff members around them (grips, dolly guys, camera operators). There are two sound guys. There is a first assistant director, two second assistant directors, two third assistant directors. There are three runners. There are five make-up artists. There are five costumes and dress artists and one costumes director. There are several script supervisors. There are two producers. There are several actors.

After the film comes out, it turns out the director is an intolerant, sexist asshole.

Does this one person's beliefs/actions represent the beliefs of (and invalidate the joint collaborative work of) the other 35+ people who were on set, putting in absurd hours and graft to make a good creative work?

And this is before we even get to the tens of people in pre-production and post-production, at the publisher/studio, at all the outsourced agencies, etc, etc.

Yes, the director behind Kingdom Come: Deliverance was an asshole and for me (as well as you, I'm sure) that has "tainted" the product somewhat. It's a totally understandable feeling and it's human nature to simplify and reduce big events or products to the level of individuals. But the reality is that this guy is a mid-sized cog in a very large machine where tens of smaller and larger cogs did tons of honest work and we can't smear HIS belief across all of them and count their work as invalid because of this.

I suppose there's an argument that by slandering the game or boycotting it based on his beliefs we send the message that this sort of thing isn't acceptable. That's the only rebuttal I could see here. But it doesn't work out anyway because 99% of the audience who buy the game will never hear about his beliefs or have any knowledge of this situation.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The person in question has oversight and input on crucial high-level decisions. The person in question still did, likely, a minority of work on the game. Not do the grunt work or implementation work or (I'm being a tiny bit disingenuous - he'll have done a lot of that, but I mean in terms of the entire team he'll have done the minority - just like every other individual.)

What about your workplace? Assuming you have a boss, would you be OK if people on forums started boycotting YOUR work because your boss got outed as an intolerant/prejudiced person?

Or think about a film set, where it's easier to visualise all ther roles. The director is one dude standing behind a camera to one side. There are three cameras, each with two OTHER staff members around them (grips, dolly guys, camera operators). There are two sound guys. There is a first assistant director, two second assistant directors, two third assistant directors. There are three runners. There are five make-up artists. There are five costumes and dress artists and one costumes director. There are several script supervisors. There are two producers. There are several actors.

After the film comes out, it turns out the director is an intolerant, sexist asshole. Does this one person's beliefs/actions represent the beliefs of (and invalidate the joint collaborative work) of the other 35+ people who were on set?

And this is before we even get to the tens of people in pre-production and post-production, at the publisher/studio, at all the outsourced agencies, etc, etc.

Yes, the director behind Kingdom Come: Deliverance was an asshole and for me (as well as you, I'm sure) that has "tainted" the product somewhat. It's totally understandable. But the reality is that this guy is a mid-sized cog in a very large machine where tens of smaller and larger cogs did tons of honest work and we can't smear HIS belief across all of them and count their work as invalid because of this.

I suppose there's an argument that by slandering the game or boycotting it based on his beliefs we send the message that this sort of thing isn't acceptable. That's the only rebuttal I could see here. But it doesn't work out anyway because 99% of the audience who buy the game will never hear about his beliefs or have any knowledge of this situation.

They were happy to let Vávra be the face of the studio and the game, despite his bullshit.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The person in question has oversight and input on crucial high-level decisions. The person in question still did, likely, a minority of work on the game. Not do the grunt work or implementation work or (I'm being a tiny bit disingenuous - he'll have done a lot of that, but I mean in terms of the entire team he'll have done the minority - just like every other individual.)

What about your workplace? Assuming you have a boss, would you be OK if people on forums started boycotting YOUR work because your boss got outed as an intolerant/prejudiced person?

Or think about a film set, where it's easier to visualise all ther roles. The director is one dude standing behind a camera to one side. There are three cameras, each with two OTHER staff members around them (grips, dolly guys, camera operators). There are two sound guys. There is a first assistant director, two second assistant directors, two third assistant directors. There are three runners. There are five make-up artists. There are five costumes and dress artists and one costumes director. There are several script supervisors. There are two producers. There are several actors.

After the film comes out, it turns out the director is an intolerant, sexist asshole. Does this one person's beliefs/actions represent the beliefs of (and invalidate the joint collaborative work) of the other 35+ people who were on set?

Yes, the director behind Kingdom Come: Deliverance was an asshole and for me (as well as you, I'm sure) that has "tainted" the product somewhat. It's totally understandable. But the reality is that this guy is a mid-sized cog in a very large machine where tens of smaller and larger cogs did tons of honest work and we can't smear HIS belief across all of them and count their work as invalid because of this.

While I agree with this idea in principle (separating the artist from their work), in practice, that doesn't change the fact that his problematic viewpoints have (according to others who have played the game) actually found their way into the product, even if only subversively. If you could separate his viewpoints from the game, I would gladly play it but from what I've read, you actually cannot (not unless you willfully ignore certain aspects of the game).

Mar 29, 2018
While I agree with this idea in principle (separating the artist from their work), in practice, that doesn't change the fact that his problematic viewpoints have (according to others who have played the game) actually found their way into the product, even if only subversively. If you could separate his viewpoints from the game, I would gladly play it but from what I've read, you actually cannot (not unless you willfully ignore certain aspects of the game).
To what extent are his viewpoints actually reflected in the game? I wasn't aware of this. :grimace:

Exactly and that reflects poorly on the company as a whole, which shouldn't really be that hard to grasp.
It's absolutely understandable that it reflects poorly on the company, as it should. On my end I'm only defending the game because I work closely with teams who make such products and feel the need to stand for the team as a whole (and their work) – seeing that the work and effort of these tens or hundreds of people get reduced to 0 because one senior member is an asshole just isn't right, even if in terms of optics/politics I'm totally with you.

Sloane Ranger

Oct 27, 2017
New Albany
Yep it's seriously great. I sunk about 40 hours into the PS4 version at release but several quests got bugged and couldn't be completed so I set it aside waiting for patches. Still haven't gotten back to it yet but I am really looking forward to doing so.

I got a bug on "The Charlatan" side quest last year - but have been doing the No Girlfirend / No killing run this year and have run across no bugs.

To add to the others, seriously great RPG, have not enjoyed one as much since my first Elder Scrolls experience.

The combat system is fantastic and deep once you get over the "I expect to press one button and perfectly hit / parry my foe every time syndrome."

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I need to go back and finish it. I enjoyed it at launch but quit because of the bugs. But it was one of the better RPG's released last year.

And can we go one fucking topic in this game without the topic getting completely derailed?

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To what extent are his viewpoints actually reflected in the game? I wasn't aware of this. :grimace:
Obviously, I'm relying on other people's reports here since I haven't played the game so I cannot personally vouch for their accuracy but I've read more than once that there are several issues with the game's story:
-Female characters are portrayed to be largely passive with little agency
-The only two gay characters shown in the game are bad guys and reportedly portrayed as being pretty bad people
-The political conflicts in the game are portrayed with a certain nationalist tinge that ignores/leaves out some groups' viewpoints or motivations in order to make another group look more heroic/righteous than they maybe actually were

cowbanana

Feb 2, 2018
a Socialist Utopia
I loved what I played of the game, 10-ish hours on PC. But I got sidetracked by other games. I will definitely return to the game at some point and finish it as it felt quite unique.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I'm really liking Warhorse as developers. KCD was a proper RPG and a nice surprise. I remember seeing it being crowd funded for years but I never imagined it would be such a success.

Hopefully now with more funding they can roll out the continuation of KCD. I'd like them to follow in the footsteps of CDPR and become a big player. They certainly have the talent.

Mar 29, 2018
Obviously, I'm relying on other people's reports here since I haven't played the game so I cannot personally vouch for their accuracy but I've read more than once that there are several issues with the game's story:
-Female characters are portrayed to be largely passive with little agency
-The only two gay characters shown in the game are bad guys and reportedly portrayed as being pretty bad people
-The political conflicts in the game are portrayed with a certain nationalist tinge that ignores/leaves out some groups' viewpoints or motivations in order to make another group look more heroic/righteous than they maybe actually were
I can picture all that being true. I own the game but haven't dug deep into it yet. Will be interested to see how this pans out.

Quick FYI - I wasn't touting Death of the Author or separating art/from artist above. My main argument here is that these creative projects are giant collaborations on multiple, intense levels. These projects are bigger and more complex, with more moving parts, than a film from a few decades ago or, say, a novel or painting or sculture (which is mainly one person's output). Basically I'm saying it's like knocking down a whole bridge because one of the supporting struts is problematic. This director guy is only a small part of the puzzle, really - as much as he's important. A load-bearing strut.

Of course what you're saying about the game's content sounds pretty shitty in many ways. But we can't know how much he decided on all these things. (Probably a decent amount, but lots of other people will have written and developed side quests and scripts and such.)

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I have heard great things about the game as well but I can't bring myself to justify purchasing it given how closely it is linked to GG supporter.

OK. I'm also greatly looking forward to Biomutant, published by the same motley crew, and The Last Night, whose main creator probably ruffles your feathers as well. Is there any other way I can upset you today?

As someone who appreciates your aid with Xbox related issues, this is disappointing.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My game of the year and probably top 3 of this gen so far. Highly recommend it.

Also, I want to add, if you guys don't want to derail a thread, maybe don't antagonize each other, its pretty easy to ignore people.

A lot of this has been discussed to death already.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever the complete edition releases I'll consider picking it up.

DLC doesn't seem that great but like TW3, I'll prefer a complete package for this.

Bethesda games are a disgrace, so I'm sort of relying on good EuroJank to fill in the gaps till the next CDPR monster.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
I really need to give this one another go. I played it but got distracted early on and never got back into it.

Punpun

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Always wanted to try this game, but I would only be able to play it on a base PS4 and I think the performance wouldn't be good enough.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
I love the game too, I really appreciate the historicity of it, specially reading at the codex and see how that research translates into the game.

The game is super janky but I can deal with it, I just think about that as in real life things may not work well always.

The survival mechanics literally raised the bar for open world games for me. After playing it, I just need open world games to require you to rest, eat and combat to leave injures that heal over time.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Agree OP, I don't think I've played a more immersive RPG in recent years. The progression system is amazing, you actually feel when you're improving at combat/archery naturally rather than after putting a point on a skill tree. I hope some other devs can borrow that idea into their games.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quick FYI - I wasn't touting Death of the Author or separating art/from artist above. My main argument here is that these creative projects are giant collaborations on multiple, intense levels. These projects are bigger and more complex, with more moving parts, than a film from a few decades ago or, say, a novel or painting or sculture (which is mainly one person's output). Basically I'm saying it's like knocking down a whole bridge because one of the supporting struts is problematic. This director guy is only a small part of the puzzle, really - as much as he's important. A load-bearing strut.
Ah, sorry for misinterpreting your post. I tend to be of the opinion that, if the work is something I would like and if it wasn't created under problematic/objectionable circumstances, then I'll usually try and ignore any grievances I might have with its creators, though there are certainly exceptions to that rule if said grievances are too big to ignore. And often times, those types of creators tend to make works I would not enjoy anyway (as is the case here where I probably would enjoy the gameplay but the story seems to be too tainted by Vavra's viewpoints for me to want to play the game).

gilko79

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
The combat is my main gripe, but otherwise an excellent game. I love the detail throughout.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Always wanted to try this game, but I would only be able to play it on a base PS4 and I think the performance wouldn't be good enough.
My brother played through the entire game on OG ps4 with out too many issues, it really is up to how much that stuff affects you (I probably wouldn't be able to do it).

Status
Not open for further replies.