Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
I wish we could get word from an actual Guerrilla developer or someone at Sony as to why we Cant get a remaster. People dont even ask for other remasters but they happen. I think there is actual interest in kZ2's multiplayer. I would just throw money in their face and I feel like there is an intire community that would do that.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Another Sony IP that ends up with Ape Escape, Jak and Daxter, and the many other beloved games they've just thrown away for no reason

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Another Sony IP that ends up with Ape Escape, Jak and Daxter, and the many other beloved games they've just thrown away for no reason
That Jak 4 concept art was some wack shit. My only explanation is they really didn't want to make the game. Its was so out of touch it physically hurt me and I like Jak 2 a lot.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Shame.

KZ IP did suffer an identity crisis as well besides all the other baggage. There was no real connection with the main cast to the players.

KZ2 to KZ3 was a decent try but the characters weren't that great. So I guess for the new entry it was some guy that gets killed anyways. It would have been more exciting if the sniper woman took over and then the next game was all about Hellghast perspective.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care what others think or why the IP is put to rest (it had 6 games, it was a success and the franchise is pretty popular). I can't convince you to like the game, but I had a blast with it. Like I said in a post above, there just isn't anything like Killzone gunplay. Everything feels heavy, the guns are super satisfying to use, the graphics, sound and art-design are all top-notch. It had a solid class system and well-designed maps and game mods. It's one of my favorite multiplayer franchises. I vastly prefer it over all the popular FPS like Battlefield, CoD and Overwatch. But like I also said, it's just a pretty different game from these. There just isn't anything else like it left. I fell out of the loop with modern multiplayer FPS. The only other franchise games I enjoyed as much last gen was Battlefront 1+2.

As for the single-player, I think the campaign was still pretty great, minus some of the slower levels. But it sure wasn't as good as Killzone 2+3. It also lacked the dirty and gritty look and went a bit too colourful in some places IMHO. It also lacked the "World War 2 in space" atmosphere because it played so far in the future. I'd like to have a new Killzone that goes back to the early times of conflict between ISA and Helghast.

KZSF remembering that color is a thing is one of the only genuine positive aspects of that game.

Nah, I was just giving you shit. Tbh, I dont recall having as much of a problem with Shadowfall's story as most people did but I have to go by the general consensus because, tbf, I BARELY remember what happened in it...
It starts with the tragic backstory owning nazis attempting to kill you as a child before going "both sides are bad" for four hours before ending on an incredibly dumb cliffhanger that will never be resolved. An exercise, attempt to name one of the main characters of KZ Shadowfall, bonus, attempt to remember the name of the main character.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
49665.jpg

Yep. It can go to the PS2/3 franchise graveyard in the sky along with Jak, Sly, Resistance, and InFamous.

Considering Sony has put so much money into Call of Duty, they don't need a major FPS anymore. Not they basically don't exclusively release cinematic AAA award-bait action adventures anymore. Or at least that's all anyone cares about.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. It can go to the PS2/3 franchise graveyard in the sky along with Jak, Sly, Resistance, and InFamous.

Considering Sony has put so much money into Call of Duty, they don't need a major FPS anymore. Not they basically don't exclusively release cinematic AAA award-bait action adventures anymore. Or at least that's all anyone cares about.
Well besides Ratchet, Sackboy, Astrobot, Dreams, GT, Nioh, Conrete Genie, Returnal, Destruction Allstars, etc.

OP
OP
Tiago Rodrigues

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

What?

Well besides Ratchet, Sackboy, Astrobot, Dreams, GT, Nioh, Conrete Genie, Returnal, Destruction Allstars, etc.

Exactly. I don't know why that narrative keeps popping up like this lmao

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The argument that Sony doesn't need to make ______ type of game because third party already covers that has to be the worst and most non-sensical argument I see regurgitated on this forum.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine all of the amazing games you can play from this gen and you come out from under a rock and say "my most played game was a Killzone". Lord have mercy, go back to where thee has come with the misplaced pride to admit to this deed.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Series had a lot of potential and I've played them all (just dawned on me), but it never lived up to its potential imo. Besides I'd rather they take a shot at another FPS then Killzone.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Yes i have, it was mediocre as hell. Hell I thought UC4 had mediocre MP too and even that was way better than KZSF's incredibly forgettable and literal IP killing quality. Why are you stanning for that game so hard my dude?

As Mr.Deadshot pointed out, the gameplay and mechanics are superb and there was/is nothing on the market that compares. BF4 sucked big time and CoD Ghost is the worst CoD released last gen. I would not have replied to your ridiculous comment if you have not used the word mess, as the game shipped more polished and full of content than both BF4 and CoD Ghost. So why are you trying so hard to slam the game?

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
I don't care what others think or why the IP is put to rest (it had 6 games, it was a success and the franchise is pretty popular). I can't convince you to like the game, but I had a blast with it. Like I said in a post above, there just isn't anything like Killzone gunplay. Everything feels heavy, the guns are super satisfying to use, the graphics, sound and art-design are all top-notch. It had a solid class system and well-designed maps and game mods. It's one of my favorite multiplayer franchises. I vastly prefer it over all the popular FPS like Battlefield, CoD and Overwatch. But like I also said, it's just a pretty different game from these. There just isn't anything else like it left. I fell out of the loop with modern multiplayer FPS. The only other franchise games I enjoyed as much last gen was Battlefront 1+2.

As for the single-player, I think the campaign was still pretty great, minus some of the slower levels. But it sure wasn't as good as Killzone 2+3. It also lacked the dirty and gritty look and went a bit too colourful in some places IMHO. It also lacked the "World War 2 in space" atmosphere because it played so far in the future. I'd like to have a new Killzone that goes back to the early times of conflict between ISA and Helghast.

My man, fully agree on all of the above. I even got the platinum and had tons of fun playing the MP mode.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
As Mr.Deadshot pointed out, the gameplay and mechanics are superb and there was/is nothing on the market that compares. BF4 sucked big time and CoD Ghost is the worst CoD released last gen. I would not have replied to your ridiculous comment if you have not used the word mess, as the game shipped more polished and full of content than both BF4 and CoD Ghost. So why are you trying so hard to slam the game?
COD Ghosts was mediocre yet it and it's dad twist was still more memorable than KZSF's SP which was so mediocre that I doubt even you remember the plot and characters. And full of content? What? The game died hella fast due to a lack of content.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

if these IP are as 'beloved' as you mentioned, then clearly they will be doing it.

The only way to see how 'beloved' an IP is through the sales.....

Like...the gravity rush IP is super 'beloved' on forums but it doesn't really mean if it doesn't translates to $$$$$.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
First the game was a mess, then the campaign became poorly designed and written and now the multiplayer was forgettable? For the campaign being poorly written, I do agree, the rest is just not true. I'm sorry but your use of words is what is "problematic" and also I do not think, you have played the MP mode at all, as it was the best at the time and the post support was good,for those who have played the MP.
Are you saying that Shadow Fall had better multiplayer than say Halo 4 or Back Ops 2?

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
if these IP are as 'beloved' as you mentioned, then clearly they will be doing it.

Like...the gravity rush IP is super 'beloved' on forums but it doesn't really mean if it doesn't translates to $$$$$.
The Jak and Daxter IP has sold equally as much as the Everybody's Golf series, but only one of those series still gets entries. Same with inFamous.
Sony just has unfortunately set their sights on a very particular style of game and doesn't like to deviate from that style often. It's great for the people who enjoy stuff like Ghost of Tsushima or The Last of Us, but I have found most of their games over the past two generations to be a far cry from their PS1/PS2 days.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
To be honest I feel like Sony was very patient with GG when it comes to Killzone. 2nd game was great, 3rd one was okay and Shadow Fall was mediocre at best. Their graphical/tech talent and Horizon probably kept that studio from joining Cambrige.

Speaking of Cambridge. I personally thought Mercenary was the best of bunch so I always assumed having them take over Killzone would have been a smart move. Crazy to think that RIGS probably killed that studio. If Sony really wanted them on VR, you'd a VR Killzone game would have been a better investment :/

The biggest crime of losing Killzone will be losing that amazing lore. Maybe PlayStation Production could salvage some of it for a future series.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
I really enjoyed the first game, but it is time for the series to end. They never really did anything new for the genre and the story was always better on paper than in execution.

Horizon showed that Guerilla has some chips. Keep up with that and new IP.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The Jak and Daxter IP has sold equally as much as the Everybody's Golf series, but only one of those series still gets entries. Same with inFamous.
Sony just has unfortunately set their sights on a very particular style of game and doesn't like to deviate from that style often. It's great for the people who enjoy stuff like Ghost of Tsushima or The Last of Us, but I have found most of their games over the past two generations to be a far cry from their PS1/PS2 days.
I mean, just last November, Sackboy and Astrobot came out. Ratchet and Clank is coming out in a few months.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Beloved isn't the same as being successful though.
You don't continue with games like killzone unless they are good and a lot of people buy them.
When Sony puts them up against heavy hitting first person shooters and does the comparison i think they see it's just not worth it to pump money into a series only a few people like.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
COD Ghosts was mediocre yet it and it's dad twist was still more memorable than KZSF's SP which was so mediocre that I doubt even you remember the plot and characters. And full of content? What? The game died hella fast due to a lack of content.
Now I'm sure you have not played the MP. As I mentioned above, I do have the platinum and it takes almost a year (while working) to max out all classes for the trophies, but you can not know that as you have not played the game. As for the SP campaign, as a matter of fact I do remember the story and the cast. And yes the game was full of content both SP and MP, calling it a "mess" will not change that. Do you remember Ghosts and BF4, now those games were a mess when they launched, but I guess having selective memories and missusing words is better than calling it as ita was, right?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Honestly Sony still including Gravity Rush in their IP montages reads a cruel and unusual punishment considering they have no interest.

Now I'm sure you have not played the MP. As I mentioned above, I do have the platinum and it takes almost a year (while working) to max out all classes for the trophies, but you can not know that as you have not played the game. As for the SP campaign, as a matter of fact I do remember the story and the cast. And yes the game was full of content both SP and MP, calling it a "mess" will not change that. Do you remember Ghosts and BF4, now those games were a mess when they launched, but I guess having selective memories and missusing words is better than calling it as ita was, right?
You spending almost a year on the game to max out all classes explains your irrational attachment to a mediocre launch title that made a studio abandon an IP entirely. 🤷‍♂️ And yes. I played BF4 for years. It was my main MP title until Fortnite.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Honestly Sony still including Gravity Rush in their IP montages reads a cruel and unusual punishment considering they have no interest.

You spending almost a year on the game to max out all classes explains your irrational attachment to a mediocre launch title that made a studio abandon an IP entirely. 🤷‍♂️ And yes. I played BF4 for years. It was my main MP title until Fortnite.

Or perhaps, I've and many others anjoyed the game more than you and have better taste, how about that? I don't think you read my comment or for the matter understood it, I was referring to your incorrect comment about the MP dying fast, which if you have played the game, you would have known that the MP was active and only with active MP, you can obtain the MP trophies. Now here I'm going to use a word that you like to use, Lmao, at your comment about abandoning an IP, they made 4 games and was time to move on although all KZ games sold pretty well. But hey if you say the game was a mess, it must be true.

PS.
Wonder how would you describe BF4 launch, flawless? 😂

www.eurogamer.net

EA addresses "unacceptable" Battlefield 4 launch

EA has addressed what the boss of the company has described as the "unacceptable" launch of Battlefield 4 - and detaile…

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think when Sony started investing money into COD and Destiny was when they decided killzone was dead.
It was when Horizon blew it out of the water saleswise, HZD sales are probably closer to Killzone's total franchise sales, than any individual Killzone is to it. Cambridge getting shut was when it died, as GG weren't going back.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
They had something interesting going on with KZ2 but every entry afterward showed they didnt care about pursuing that and Horizon alone was better than the whole franchise, into the trash it goes

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i will never let go of Killzone.

KZ2 was the best multiplayer ever for me. KZ3 and Shadow Fall multiplayers were also very good.

Oct 30, 2017
I loved the way KZ2 looked in 2007.
Planet Helghan looked like a truly miserable place. They made some visual improvements up until its release in 2009, but they also added some more color.

Damn. KZ2 in 60 FPS, 4K, HDR would still look incredible. I'm sure I could fire this up on PS3 and it'd still look solid.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Killzone should stay dead. If GG were to make an FPS series, it makes infinitely more sense to create a new IP considering how successful Horizon was. Horizon (1 game) is better than the entire franchise, even though K2 was amazing when it came out.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Let's be honest. The only real reason KZ2 was exceptional was because GG had a herculean task to deliver on the 2005 CG teaser.

So they must have had to make sure this game was done right to avoid another cluster.

The follow up titles i feel like the team may have been burnt out on ideas or just didn't have the fire under their ass to deliver some epic SP and MP mode for the sequel. I'm sure it wasn't the same situation so they started to come up with other game ideas over the years to see where to go next. (HzD) Once they found their "ace" and sold millions, there isn't a chance they'd throw that away. It seems they now have a great IP on their hands and everyone has energy about the game that they haven't had in a long time.

I'm glad GG were able to get out of that KZ cycle though. If they hadn't, I think Sony would have axed them. (Say if they depended on KZ games only)

Oct 30, 2017
If Sony is going to revive any shooter, it should be a full blown SOCOM effort.

Do it right. Large scale team based battle royale as well as the classic small scale modes. If done right, I think it could be huge on PS5.

Let's be honest. The only real reason KZ2 was exceptional was because GG had a herculean task to deliver on the 2005 CG teaser.

So they must have had to make sure this game was done right to avoid another cluster.
Well.. If the key to success is to set the bar high, then I'm all for it! Because the 2007 trailer was mindblowing at the time. They exceeded expectations.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I loved the way KZ2 looked in 2007.
Planet Helghan looked like a truly miserable place. They made some visual improvements up until its release in 2009, but they also added some more color.

Damn. KZ2 in 60 FPS, 4K, HDR would still look incredible. I'm sure I could fire this up on PS3 and it'd still look solid.
Look but the gun play was not solid. Everything isnt about looks, the gun play has to be addicting enough to keep you playing and it wasn't. It was too weighted

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
Look but the gun play was not solid. Everything isnt about looks, the gun play has to be addicting enough to keep you playing and it wasn't. It was too weighted

I played a *lot* of KZ2 multiplayer and completed the campaign like 3 times - probably my most played shooter that generation after Halo 3 and Gears. Gunplay was dope, using crosshairs wasn't completely useless like most games with sights and could even be used at range if you fired straight after crouching. ADS looked great too, especially with the light and shadow.

I rate the gunplay in 2.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Should have gotten a KZ 1 remake and KZ2 and 3 remasters this gen but nope Sony only cares about 3rd Person Action games now.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I played a *lot* of KZ2 multiplayer and completed the campaign like 3 times - probably my most played shooter that generation after Halo 3 and Gears. Gunplay was dope, using crosshairs wasn't completely useless like most games with sights and could even be used at range if you fired straight after crouching. ADS looked great too, especially with the light and shadow.

I rate the gunplay in 2.
Yeah but it didn't -feel- good when compared to other FPS games out there, Resistance included.
If it did the game and series would have been bigger.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
This makes me sad.

But why would this mean that Killzone as a franchise is dead? Games like Horizon and the Last of Us only have pages on PlayStation.com (as far as I can tell), as opposed to dedicated websites, and those franchises are obviously not dead. Killzone was the odd one out.