Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
This is rad! Love KI. The classics were a huge part of my life in the 90's and the 2013 game was great.

I always appreciate keit's candid thoughts on balance and interacting with players. Being the public face of a competitive game is absolutely brutal. It's draining and will take a toll on you probably no matter how thick your skin is.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
tenor.gif

I know what im watching when im done work, on that note #BringBackKI

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
I had so much enjoyment following along with development, the teases and hints, watching the Dev streams, the new character releases, watching the community react to it all. Wondering if Aganos was made of broccoli, seeing Arbiter vs Eyedol. Great stuff. Bring back Ki!

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
is this exclusively about the newer game? I was a massive fan of the snes one but never really got into the reboot. not against it, just never really used my xbone, and the art style didn't really grab me I guess. i'd say I'm still a fan but who knows. Gonna put this on later.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
OP you should probably mention that this documentary mainly focuses on the new Killer Instinct game for Xbox One/Xbox One X and it's seasons [2013-2016].

From the jump, I was excited to come in here and finally see a documentary about the entire history of Killer Instinct - especially the arcade games - when only a very, very small portion at the beginning is relegated to the first arcade game and Killer Instinct 2 isn't touched upon at all, other than seeing gameplay from it occasionally.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is cool that they got Microsoft people on it, so at least there are higher ups who know that there is so demand for the game, but Ken Lobb final speech made me realize that there will be no Killer Instinct in some time

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a brilliant documentary, just half way through but holy shit did MS get lucky with Double Helix. Some of the ideas, like dynamic audio (Rare speciality) is simply genius.

I pray we get a next gen sequel. I love Ken's stories with Rare and Nintendo also.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Seeing Ken Lobb again made me nostalgic for the old videos Nintendo used to send out.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
is this exclusively about the newer game? I was a massive fan of the snes one but never really got into the reboot. not against it, just never really used my xbone, and the art style didn't really grab me I guess. i'd say I'm still a fan but who knows. Gonna put this on later.
it goes over the origins of KI

kinda skims over KI 2 though lol

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How was the DLC compared to the main game? Didn't really keep up.
Not sure I'd call it 'dlc' and 'main game. Not to deride Double Helix - they laid a dope foundation, but IG really ran with the game. It absolutely got better once they took over. We'll never know what would've happened if DH had kept going instead, so there's not much to say beyond that.

Dec 31, 2017
Skullgirls is (unfortunately) the best Western made fighting game, but KI is not far behind it.
Could never get into Skullgirls, I find it quite boring, maybe it's just not my style, just like I can't get interested in stuff like Blazblue or Guilty Gear either. But the amount of detail and cool things that differentiate KI from the rest of fighting games imo makes it a lot better than Skullgirls.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
it goes over the origins of KI

kinda skims over KI 2 though lol
"Kinda skims over KI2"??

It completely omits any discussion of it.

Make no mistake, this documentary is solely about the new Killer Instinct game [2013-2016]. There is a brief segment at the very beginning regarding the origins of the original Killer Instinct arcade game reminisced by Ken Lobb - but for the next hour and a half; it's all 2013-2016 Killer Instinct.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize that Ken Lobb had so much to do with the birth of KI. It's a shame that Goldeneye's Klobb has basically characterized him as kinda shitty and useless, when he was a seminal part of one of Rare's biggest IPs.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I would have never guessed that Fatal Fury was the primary inspiration for KI's gameplay. That's like the most mind blowing thing of the whole doc for me.

I never really enjoyed playing Killer Instinct 2013, but it's more to do with the inherent mechanics of the series than anything. I respect and admire how they deconstructed fighting game archetypes, though. It kinda put the whole genre on notice.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
"Kinda skims over KI2"??

It completely omits any discussion of it.

Make no mistake, this documentary is solely about the new Killer Instinct game [2013-2016]. There is a brief segment at the very beginning regarding the origins of the original Killer Instinct arcade game reminisced by Ken Lobb - but for the next hour and a half; it's all 2013-2016 Killer Instinct.
Why do you seem angry about that?

Aug 25, 2019
This is amazing!!! Just wow, good work on the video.
and now I'm wanting to play Buffy and Green Lantern... lol

Last edited:

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
This is amazing!!! Just wow, good work on the video.
and now I'm wanting to play Buffy and Green Lantern... lol

Yo why was them games looking LEGIT

Looking at Wikipedia now, one of the last games The Collective developed before they became Double Helix was Marc Ecko's Getting Up (also the last Slayer Engine game as The Collective). One of my favorite PS2/Xbox games.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
A fantastic game well worth the extensive quality introspection. The development process and achievements are trully impressive. From being an XB1 Launch title made in under a year, the return of a 'dead' franchise, adopting a different purchase model for fighting games with the free offering, the first MS Fighting game, a new Dev parternship, changing Devs half-way through, being the first XB1/PC Cross-Play/Save/Buy title, being the first Win10 store game brought to Steam and having one of the best Fighting Game netcodes out there.

Not to mention the super varied roster, amazing game balance, unique game mechanics, great tutorials, deaf accessible design, most detailed Fighting Game patch notes, best fan website ever made and highlight worthy tournament moments. It's a shame so many sleep on the game because it's not Japan Made and is under the MS umbrella. I really hope the sequel gets the recognition it deserves.
Your links are blowing my mind! I learned so much from you. Also that best fan website, oh my gosh; the amount of work they put into it. Each character has a ton of gifs, guides and my gosh it is super in depth. I'm in total awe of that fan web site, it is so in-depth!

Yo why was them games looking LEGIT

Looking at Wikipedia now, one of the last games The Collective developed before they became Double Helix was Marc Ecko's Getting Up (also the last Slayer Engine game as The Collective). One of my favorite PS2/Xbox games.

I remember Buffy being my first xbox game that I played! It was so much better than it had to be and I am so happy amount of love they gave it. Also I remember hearing how Marc Ecko's Getting Up was a total underrated game.

Everybody this documentary really Is worth your time!!

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Do we know how the 2013 reboot game "sold"? Could determine if we see a sequel.

I'm all-in on the idea of another KI though. That game just oozed personality. I loved the music, the character designs, and especially the announcer who increasingly sounded like he was going to spontaneously combust if you got a good enough combo, haha.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
double helix finally hitting its stride and then immediately getting buried by Amazon is such a tragedy

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not interviewed but his name is dropped for doing the music early on. Basically taking inspirations with the original songs and doing what he does haha.

Yeah I'm very curious about the Killer Cuts CD that came with...the game (?)...or something. I think I listened to that disc more than I played the game.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
10+ Million players at least

Hard to gauge, because the basic game was free, and you paid for characters. So that 10 million could just be anyone who ever downloaded and booted it up out of curiosity.

double helix finally hitting its stride and then immediately getting buried by Amazon is such a tragedy

Do we even know what project they are working on at Amazon? Are they even? Or did they just get absorbed into some other studio?

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Do we even know what project they are working on at Amazon? Are they even? Or did they just get absorbed into some other studio?
Definitely absorbed into Amazon Game Studios, but occasionally the name still pops up.
Breakaway... Cancelled
www.pcgamer.com

Amazon’s fantasy sports game Breakaway shoots, but may not score

Breakaway runs well in alpha, but it has no idea what kind of game it wants to be.
And maybe New World?
www.nytimes.com

Amazon Pushes Into Making Video Games, Not Just Streaming Their Play (Published 2020)

The internet giant is investing hundreds of millions of dollars in the effort, with its first original game, Crucible, to be released next month.

Last edited:

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't really play much of the new one because I suck at fighting games, mainly just played it because of nostalgia, the original KI was one of the few fighting games I could get the hang of, this new one not so much. Anyway, even with that, the documentary kept me engaged. Didn't think I'd watch the entire thing but I couldn't stop. Great stuff.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Is it too late to jump into this one?
I loved the original but didn't own an Xbox when the new one came out. Somehow I missed the PC release and it got forgotten.

I'm an old dude and not that experienced in fighting games. I played Sm4sh competitive though. But I want to get into a fighting game with a good netcode. I'm so tired of Smash Ultimate online

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Is it too late to jump into this one?
I loved the original but didn't own an Xbox when the new one came out. Somehow I missed the PC release and it got forgotten.

I'm an old dude and not that experienced in fighting games. I played Sm4sh competitive though. But I want to get into a fighting game with a good netcode. I'm so tired of Smash Ultimate online
It's fantastic. Easy to get into and there are some neat unique characters to master.
The tutorial is also pretty great. I havent played online for a while but I suspect it to be a rough time, heh.

I fire it up from time to time to play some rounds just because its so damn fun and flashy.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Seems criminal they don't have any plans for a sequel in the works. The netcode in this game was incredible and Mick Gordon's music was the cherry.

c'mon Phil we need a follow up!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly it looks like that Green Lantern game is not bakcwards compatible. It will probably be trapped in the 360 generation along with X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
This was really cool to see. It's amazing how well KI turned out considering the disastrous launch of the Xbox One and the loss of their original developer. I hope Microsoft decides to make another.

#BringBackKI

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
It's fantastic. Easy to get into and there are some neat unique characters to master.
The tutorial is also pretty great. I havent played online for a while but I suspect it to be a rough time, heh.

I fire it up from time to time to play some rounds just because its so damn fun and flashy.
Nice. I don't mind getting my ass kicked online. As long as the experience is smooth