Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I love the tool chest rolling down the stairs. The scene somehow has a slow, ominous buildup, like the stalking velociraptors in Jurassic Park. Gets me every time.

mrchad

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched this movie with my kids (their first time seeing it) and they found it hysterical.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone jokes about serial killer Kevin but I actually think a better idea is Kevin being the government or some hitman agency's, go to person for when they need to take out a particularly hard target. Kevin baits, then lures the target to a predesignated spot that he's already filled to the brim with deadly booby traps. Of course the premise of the movie is him meeting his match. Maybe its another super hitman or maybe its an alien like the Predator. Either way slapstick comedy, brutal gory violence, and Kevin loving every disturbing moment of it from his control room somewhere.

Oct 26, 2017
I love the tool chest rolling down the stairs. The scene somehow has a slow, ominous buildup, like the stalking velociraptors in Jurassic Park. Gets me every time.

It's one of the traps I never understood. Sure, there can be a lot of stuff in them, but how does it roll down a staircase without just tumbling over, and then crash through a door with enough force to push them into a wall?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the traps I never understood. Sure, there can be a lot of stuff in them, but how does it roll down a staircase without just tumbling over, and then crash through a door with enough force to push them into a wall?
By that point Marv turns briefly into a skeleton while being electrocuted. It's fair to just not worry yourself with such detail.

El Goom

Oct 27, 2017
So these guys get bricks in the face from about 10 stories high, electrocuted, burned, smashed, even fall off a building with not so much as a scratch...

The true question here isn't Kevin's decent into madness, but what failed Super Soldier program were these guys part of?!?

Kevin could've shot Marv point blank in the chest, and Harry would've kicked him in the head and said 'Cmon get up already!'

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
So these guys get bricks in the face from about 10 stories high, electrocuted, burned, smashed, even fall off a building with not so much as a scratch...

The true question here isn't Kevin's decent into madness, but what failed Super Soldier program were these guys part of?!?

Kevin could've shot Marv point blank in the chest, and Harry would've kicked him in the head and said 'Cmon get up already!'

They're obviously undead ghouls who long since shuffled off this mortal coil but still continue to "live" but are forever cursed to be brutalized by children.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017

Marv and Harry died, but are now in hell being brutalized by a demon that looks like Kevin McCalister.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I want to believe that Kevin became an even bigger sociopath after meeting Ttump for 5 seconds

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly you have little experience with the effects of a tool chest falling down the stairs.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna quote myself from the other thread we had...

Absolute christmas classic, tbh. No christmas without them. Love them, warts and all. Yes, they're absurd and they fall apart mostly if you apply a minimum of critical thought about them, but why would you even do that?

and let me bat for HA2 for a second here, by getting a bit personal (I apologize):

I live in the southern hemisphere, where christmas falls in summer. Up until I was 18, I lived in the northern part of Chile, which has the driest desert on Earth. It rained basically a couple of times a year and each rainfall usually lasted minutes, sometimes even an hour, and that'd be it. The only major difference between winter and summer (essentially the only two seasons over there) was how hot or cold it could get, and that's it.

So imagine a kid who has lived is entire brief life in the middle of the desert and has only known christmases with heat and his town is small and dusty, imagine that kid watching Kevin McAllister get lost in fucking New York City. New York! With skyscrapers that blot out the sun, with an insane amount of christmas decorations, with falling snow! With that amazing toystore (that I later learned didn't even exist ffs) that everyone wanted to visit!

I fell in love with the idea of the place without having visited it. I mean, it's... christmas, you know? It looked like what christmases were supposed to look like, something unattainable where I lived. We usually don't get snow, and clearly we don't get snow in december.

It felt magical. I still dream of spending a christmas in NYC, or, hell, anywhere that's north of the equator and gets snow in december. I don't know if it'll ever happen but, hey, at least I can dream.

So... yeah, HA2 might be a stupid retread, almost beat-by-beat, of the first. I don't care. It gave my childhood a dream, and made me yearn for something I never knew I wanted until I saw it, and that I know is difficult to achieve.
I love this post, because it reminds me that a movie or game or book doesn't have to stand up to critical scrutiny as a whole to have value, it can just mean something special *to you* - for whatever reason - and that's worth something. There's plenty of media that I loved because it captured my imagination or excited me in a special way, even if it's generally regarded as not great. I love reading recollections like yours that just throw away the cynicism and lets me sit in your shoes and experience a bit of the magic as you saw it.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I love this post, because it reminds me that a movie or game or book doesn't have to stand up to critical scrutiny as a whole to have value, it can just mean something special *to you* - for whatever reason - and that's worth something. There's plenty of media that I loved because it captured my imagination or excited me in a special way, even if it's generally regarded as not great. I love reading recollections like yours that just throw away the cynicism and lets me sit in your shoes and experience a bit of the magic as you saw it.

I'm glad my post made you feel that way :)

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
The best trap is the one Kevin diddnt even have to do, when marv just falls in that big ass hole in the ground

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Why do people always make these stupid faces for the thumbnails? This is why I don't click on them.
Analytics say that thumbnails the feature the face of the youtuber and have bright colors get more engagement so now most of them do that. Even AVGN went back and changed all the thumbnails on his videos from the past like 13 years to these types of abominations.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Analytics say that thumbnails the feature the face of the youtuber and have bright colors get more engagement so now most of them do that. Even AVGN went back and changed all the thumbnails on his videos from the past like 13 years to these types of abominations.
Many youtubers, like Linus Tech Tips, say they hate doing them but it works. And when you employ people and want to make sure everyone's happy, it's a small admission.

And as a viewer, I have more important things to be outraged at.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
TOILET.gif
Came to post this. This is GOLD!

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Many youtubers, like Linus Tech Tips, say they hate doing them but it works. And when you employ people and want to make sure everyone's happy, it's a small admission.

And as a viewer, I have more important things to be outraged at.
Yeah, not outraged at it or anything just kind of feels shilly to me, like psychologists spent time tracking people's eye movement and and we have the info and we need to exploit that part of the human condition for views or however the hell they figured it out, it's manipulation but it's hard to argue there's an exigent harm to it, it's basically marketing.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Home Alone 2 is an objectively inferior sequel, but the brick is in the running for the funniest thing ever put on film

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yeah, not outraged at it or anything just kind of feels shilly to me, like psychologists spent time tracking people's eye movement and and we have the info and we need to exploit that part of the human condition for views or however the hell they figured it out, it's manipulation but it's hard to argue there's an exigent harm to it, it's basically marketing.

I agree, but this kind of psychological "manipulation" exists everywhere in society.

The internal layouts of convenience stores is carefully considered to put products more likely to be impulse bought at the end of the store.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even though I love 1 a bit more, I adore both. Timeless Christmas films. God knows how many times I have watched both and it still is an enjoyable, even emotional at times movie.

My favorite moments are with the old neighbor when they're talking about family in the 1st one and his moment with the bird lady in the 2nd. Some real shit in a kids movie.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

Just assume Harry and Marv are functioning meth heads. Everything becomes crystal clear.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Despite all the violence, my favorite part might actually be when Catherine O'Hara slaps Tim Curry and he starts getting teary-eyed.