• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Bandai Namco IP General Manager Katsuhiro Harada said:
This actually progressed to the remaster's plan, but failed in a profitable market analysis. Sorry guys, This plan will be difficult to resurface...

Edit: Harada's sad about it too. Additionally, this was a global market analysis.

Last edited:

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Make sense tho, only fans might be interested in this.

Sesha

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to believe that a simple remaster, esp. in the days of Steam and Switch, wouldn't be able to make money. If Bamco was doing other remasters instead, I could understand. But they're not doing anything of the sort.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Disappointing, but I guess I understand. But even a bare-minimum HD conversion would be better than nothing. I just want to experience the games again without having to worry about emulation.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's right. This is why the "spiritual successors" like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 have the character designs that they have

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Not sad. As a huge fan of Xenogears I was extremely disappointed with Saga. The genius of that game has never been replicated since. The only people I want to hear from on this subject is Square-Enix, with a remaster of the actual Xenogears.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
Sad, I guess the dream is dead forever, if only Nintendo could buy the IP but I guess they will reach the same conclusion as Namco, no profitable. And Namco is not going to sell it anyway.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
He's right. This is why the "spiritual successors" like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 have the character designs that they have
KOSMOSd.gif

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if Xenoblade Chronicles DE takes off next year like XC2 did, the market might be more hungry for the older Xeno games.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to believe that a simple remaster, esp. in the days of Steam and Switch, wouldn't be able to make money. If Bamco was doing other remasters instead, I could understand. But they're not doing anything of the sort.
Everything is not just making money but about cost opportunity, you'll be still taking time from people you can put to other more profitable project, same with assets in general.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Well that fucking sucks.I really wanna play these games again. I wish they would at least give me someway to play them without having to get a PS2.

Merc_

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 28, 2017
Not surprising as it didn't sell well the first time around. I doubt that all that many people are really chomping at the bit to play a mediocre JRPG series.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
I hold out replaying the games ever since Harada tweeted about potential Xenosaga remasters. Thanks for nothing I guess.

Since he wanted Monolithsofts involvement, therefore Nintendos. It's not a surprise that the market evaluation was negative. Namco and especially Harada seems to be very cautious when it comes to supporting Nintendo systems, with their own big IPs, especially for Switch and IPs where Harada is more hands on for some odd reason. Soul Calibur and Tekken should have been on Switch by now.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Xenogears has always been even less likely than a saga remaster and it's not even close.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
makes sense. i don't think it would do too hot either. and it's not just one game, they'd have to remaster three games of varying quality and people would expect more than a simple res bump.
xenogears tho, i hope one day SE would greenlight a complete remake.