• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can cherry pick what I said all you want but if you read the rest of the sentence, I said those ideas were compromised due to the crazy schedule they were put under. The video I linked outlines the original Episode IX JJ wanted but goes on to show how slowly over time, due to said time constraints, they couldn't execute those ideas.

Also it seems the Palpatine decision predates JJ, as Chris Terrio says that decision predates before he came onboard...And JJ hired him the same week JJ himself was. Sooooooo....

I suspect the original idea was to have a First Order character obsessed with the old Empire to get "possessed" by the spirit of Palpatine or something, like it wasn't supposed to literally be Ian McDiarmid returning as the Emperor (clone). I think that only happened once JJ was back.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You can cherry pick what I said all you want but if you read the rest of the sentence, I said those ideas were compromised due to the crazy schedule they were put under. The video I linked outlines the original Episode IX JJ wanted but goes on to show how slowly over time, due to said time constraints, they couldn't execute those ideas.

Also it seems the Palpatine decision predates JJ, as Chris Terrio says that decision predates before he came onboard...And JJ hired him the same week JJ himself was. Sooooooo....
The Palpatine idea was JJ's going all the way back to TFA.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean Palpie coming back to ruin the legacy of the original cast by going after their children writes itself. And then throw in some kind of invitro-baby without a family who actually takes him down instead of continuing his own legacy, that's not a bad story.

They just sucked at executing a cohesive plot across the trilogy.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect the original idea was to have a First Order character obsessed with the old Empire to get "possessed" by the spirit of Palpatine or something, like it wasn't supposed to literally be Ian McDiarmid returning as the Emperor (clone). I think that only happened once JJ was back.
Maybe that was Matt Smith