• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
These people who are not vaccinating are slowly going to cause issues for the rest of us sooner or later as these viruses and things the vaccines are meant to stop are not going to work. It's called herd immunity for a reason and these people are putting all future humans in danger.

I honestly think vaccines should be a legal requirement that parents can't ignore. Force people into them.
Thats the biggest problem. I wouldn't care otherwise about their kids. If they wanna get them killed, fucking do it. But it also makes problems for the rest.

It's what these idiots don't get. Nobody cares about your kid Kat, but what kind of potential problem your kid is to others.

Oct 28, 2017
I think studies have shown that kids need a balanced diet to get the nutrition they need for growth and immunization. Vegan is ok for kids from 12 up, but it's dangerous before.
This is untrue. Major dietary and health agencies around the world recognize that a balanced plant-based diet is suitable for all ages of life including pregnancy. It is important that parents planning such a diet have access to accurate information and act upon it, of course.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864

It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nothing wrong with raising a child vegan.

Children don't get to eat what they like. They can always decide to eat meat when they get older.
Nothing wrong with an inherent lack of vitamin B12 and it being very difficult to take in enough of all essential proteins in a phase of life where the body and brain are developing and nutritional defects are amplified in their harmfulness? I cannot agree. Especially if the mother appears to be unfavourable towards medical and scientific findings, i.e. making it additionally unlikely that the child is properly being tested on potential malnutrition. This is without even taking into consideration that children can be quite picky with their food and with such a severely limited diet from an outside force, you amplify the danger of running into nutritional issues.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Thats the biggest problem. I wouldn't care otherwise about their kids. If they wanna get them killed, fucking do it. But it also makes problems for the rest.

It's what these idiots don't get. Nobody cares about your kid Kat, but what kind of potential problem your kid is to others.
The kid is not the mother. I do care whether the mother harms the child, because the child is not responsible for the mother's stupidity.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is untrue. Major dietary and health agencies around the world recognize that a balanced plant-based diet is suitable for all ages of life including pregnancy. It is important that parents planning such a diet have access to accurate information and act upon it, of course.
.The biggest concern with vegan diets in early childhood is nutritional inadequacy. Parents therefore need to be very well informed otherwise there's a risk of vitamin D, calcium, iron and possibly vitamin B12 deficiency.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/vegan-diet-healthy-kids

So as long as the mother supplement the kid with the rest it should be ok. But looking at that post, she doesn't seem to be as informed as she claims.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, she is dangerously ignorant if she ignores the science when it comes to vaccinations. I hope she at least listens to the science about diet (skeptical though).
And being a public figure that kind of behavior risk others making the same choices and risking further children getting sick for no reason. In worse case, death.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
2018 and people are proud of being stupid and ignorant. Ugh.

If her kid get sick she should be charged with endangering a child, negligence, and abuse.

Oct 28, 2017
And being a public figure that kind of behavior risk others making the same choices and risking further children getting sick for no reason. In worse case, death.
Yeah I almost think it should be illegal to spread information that is scientifically proven to lead to children's deaths (anti-vaccine). If she is advocating a specifically limited version of a plant-based diet that is unbalanced then that would be equal in my mind (e.g. one that says 'b12 supplementation isn't natural!!!')

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
When you're so stupid that taking the fake moral highground is the only choice left to make yourself seem smart.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
She is posing as a victim but still will expose her child to potentially life threatening sicknesses and unnecessary suffering because of her selfishness. Fucking idiot.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Instagram can truly be the den of narcism. My concern is only for her followers for who she plays the victim- they might decide to go the route of anti vaccination down the line.

Tapeworm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the end of this vaccination thread, will the discussion have focused more on vegan children or non-vaccinated children? I understand that non-vaccinated are children bringing back fatal, decades old diseases. But B12!

Oct 27, 2017
Vaccinations should be a legal mandatory requirement. You're literally throwing away decades of factually provable medical progress and if enough idiots do it then you emperil herd immunity.

Worries me that people can be so desperately ignorant about this.

I don't care about vegans, do what you like, raise your kids vegan if you want, tell us all about how much of a struggle it is being openly vegan (thoughts and prayers) but even a modicum of common sense, even the most basic of researches somewhere that didn't already align with your bias and you'd see that not vaccinating your kids is just about one of the stupidest things you can do.

What's that Ben Elton book set in the future after sea levels rise where antivaccination has taken over, everyone relies on religion instead and all the worst excesses of social media have been taken to horrifying extremes (everything is shared at all times) and become the default way to live.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Anti vaxxers are on the same level as flat earthers on the idiocy scale except their idiocy can be incredibly harmful.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is more tedious to me than running into people that want natural solutions to everything. Vaccines exist because nature is trying real hard to kill us.

I suspect that deep down, no one really believes in this though? Like, if her kid came down with measles, surely she'd be in the hospital and not at home rubbing cloves on it?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Really wish she would change her mind on not vaccinating her child. I have heard good things about her makeup line but I am not giving money to anti-vaxxer.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Does she plan on keeping her kid totally quarantined from other children? If not, that's awful.

And also if so, that's awful.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
In lieu of me saying something that will get me another warning, here's a pic I made for a mod months ago in another topic where I encouraged anti-vaxxers with a voice to off themselves:

PFgLH8s.jpg

Fuck off, Kat.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, that's backwards. There's plenty wrong with it unless their nutrition is being very carefully supplemented, and that's a lot of work that often doesn't get done properly. Much more responsible to feed the child a balanced diet until they're old enough to make the decision for themselves later. I know several vegans who do just that, and consider it the only responsible choice as a parent.

But then, they also vaccinate their kids, too, so I'm sure Kat wouldn't approve.

This is the typical line from people who know next to nothing about being vegan. Listen, it's not hard, most vegan parents (like most parents in general I would assume) get far more concerned about diets including everything necessary when they're gonna have a child. It's not rocket science, it's about giving your child healthy food, and you know, follow your doctor's advice.

And almost every time I see parents letting their kids choose what to eat freely, we end up with incredibly picky eaters who do not get the nutrients they should have, demand special meals all the time, and slowly start gaining weight. Letting your toddler pick and choose what to eat is

Not vaccinating is an entirely different matter and it pisses me off. Thanks so much for reinforcing stereotypes Kat. Thanks a lot.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
How is doing an at home birth with a midwife comparable with not vaccinating your child? We had a midwife, then proceeded to vaccinate our child.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anti-vaxxers will be the end of us. Politicians need to stop being cowards and make vaccinations mandatory.

Edit: If shes to dumb to vaccinate her baby shes probably not going to be able to make sure the baby gets everything it needs nuttition wise while keeping it vegan. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids.
Bingo. It is incredibly hard to raise a kid to be vegan from birth without accidentally starving them a bit.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh anti-vaxxers. How many needles has she had used on her for those tattoos?

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/vegan-diet-healthy-kids

So as long as the mother supplement the kid with the rest it should be ok. But looking at that post, she doesn't seem to be as informed as she claims.
So at the end of the day the viability of plant based being a healthy alternative for a human body is because of all the advancements of modern day science.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Raising the child to be vegan, well to be honest the child normally eats what the parents give them. So that part i don't have an issue with, the cihld can try meat down the line in life. Vaccinations however, that part i care about. It's over the media saying that diseases which were wiped out because of vaccinations (measles, mumps etc) are coming back because of the choice to not vaccinate.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Just FYI, but a midwife in the UK is quite different than a midwife in the US. UK midwives are something in between a nurse and nurse practitioner, in terms of education, experience, and privileges.

In the US, there are a vast amount of ways to be a "midwife" and some are extremely lax and permissive, yet the end result is you get to call yourself a midwife. When she says "midwife", I highly doubt Kat Von D is referring to a Certified Nurse Midwife, who is expected to follow evidence based practices.
Didn't know that, thanks.

Yeah I'm of course going by the NHS whose midwives are amazing from personal experience.

Yeah, calling yourself a midwife with limited experience or training is a recipe for disaster in my opinion!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, the irony of someone who has repeatedly been jabbed with needles full of ink being an anti-vaxxer.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
She did a lot of research. She read those thousands of studies about how bad vaccination is in reddit reddit posts.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking anti-vaxxing idiots. An American cousin of mine recently had a baby and briefly considered not vaccinating her child, until my aunt essentially slapped her upside the head, that is. My cousin is a very intelligent, highly educated person.Just what the fuck. No doubt she was influenced by so many of these morons showing up on TV and social media.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
*unfollows her on twitter*

Why would you do this? It's not only putting your kid in danger, but kids who can't be vaccinated too.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
All antivaxxers should be boycotted. These people are dangerous and they shouldn't be supported.

Oct 27, 2017
This makes me curious. Is human milk vegan?

Yes, as long the mother was not milked against her will ;)

However, sometimes there are issues with breastfeeding (low milk supply, baby unable to latch, etc..) that may necessitate a parent to use formula. While there are dairy free vegetarian formulas, I don't think there is a true 100% vegan formula. This is how you get crazies who end up killing their babies like the link I posted a few posts up. So in those cases I would say going true 100% vegan is detrimental to the child's health. Infants need breast milk or formula.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Horrible. Kids need a very balanced diet as they are growing. When they are adults let them decide how to live.

And no vaccinations will only end badly potentially

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It makes me angry that she Says it's her body despite growing a child in it. Me and my wife learned the hard way when she was pregnant that it wasn't just my wife's body anymore and there are responsibilities.

Kat Von D can make all the decisions she wants and deal with the consequences of them. She's just mad she can't post about it on Instagram freely.