Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
As shared by video games industry analyst Daniel Ahmad on Twitter, a brief 10-second clip from the movie features an interaction between two soldier characters in a military vehicle.

One of the characters makes an offensive joke that pokes fun at the Chinese, using 'Chinese' as a racist slur for the punchline to his joke. The dialogue is as follows:

"Look at my knees.
What kind of knees are these?
Chinese."
It turns out that this joke is considered especially offensive in China and even Japan (if you replace Chinese with Japanese).

Mod edit- explained here:
Doing a quick search on google

This is the joke and it is a visual joke. It is also a requirement to sing it in a pseudo-Asian style of music and sing it in an annoying high-pitch voice.

Chi-i-nese - "eyes slanted up using your fingers"
Jap-a-nese - "eyes slanted down doing the same"
Dir-ty Knees - "slapping your knees with your hands"
Look-at-these - "pulling your shirt out with your fingers, making you appear that you have a big set of boobies."

And various example in picture and video form.

It's racist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It is literally a movie made to sell more on asia about the cooperation of an American with an Asian character.. like you had one job movie

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've heard that rhyme growing up in Scotland before. Weird thing to include

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's an OOF... like, wasn't this movie very much banking on success in China? How do you fuck that up?

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Sounds like someone wanted to make a dumb joke because aha the "-nese" at the end of Asian country nationalities sound like knees, but didn't realise the nationality that was the aspect of the joke would find it offensive.

I mean what else should I have expected from a Wes Anderson "wife must be in the film" and will also get a stunt actor maimed, to not fact check this.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This actually does seem like American callous military racism, but some one on the writing team should have had the common sense to not do this in a fictional move about killing big ass monsters with equally big ass weapons.

Even attempting to isekai army folks was a bigger mistake than Deviljho

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
It's a dumb rhyme based on phonetics; not sure how it is offensive though. Why would a joke based on English phonetics be offensive in China? Surely the pronunciation is completely different?

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like someone wanted to make a dumb joke because aha the "-nese" at the end of Asian country nationalities sound like knees, but didn't realise the nationality that was the aspect of the joke would find it offensive.

I mean what else should I have expected from a Wes Anderson "wife must be in the film" and will also get a stunt actor maimed, to not fact check this.

Do you mean Paul Anderson?

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
From this 10 second clip it seems like the guy was just making a dad joke. I don't see the connection to whatever this dirty knees saying is (never heard of it before)

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
Note: the director of this is "Paul W. S. Anderson". Wes Anderson was the writer/director of, eg, Fantastic Mr Fox, Grand Budapest Hotel, The Life Aquatic, and others. Also not to be confused with Paul Thomas Anderson of Boogie Nights and Punch Drunk Love.

(Though, I would love to see a Wes Anderson take on Monster Hunter)

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

I want a Wes anderson monster hunter movie more than this
This actually does seem like American callous military racism, but some one on the writing team should have had the common sense to not do this in a fictional move about killing big ass monsters with equally big ass weapons.

Even attempting to isekai army folks was a bigger mistake than Deviljho
Yeah I think they were trying for a jarhead thing

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Oof. Way to just dive face first into cement. So many people had to make this happen writers, editors, actors, directors. So many people saw the scene, heard the words...and it still made it into the movie?

Yowza.

Deleted member 4179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played like five hours of Monster Hunter games over the years, never got to the part with Army dudes

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a dumb joke based on phonetics; not sure how it is offensive though. Why would a joke based on English phonetics be offensive in China? Surely the pronunciation is completely different?

Its being linked to a rhyme in the culture that is considered offensive because of the similar connotations.

Like five min research could have picked this up
(The writing team I mean, not you)

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
In before: "but I don't find this offensive, so one can/should be offended."

Seems like a mistake that could have been easily prevented of they thought it through.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I'm guessing monster hunter will be the second movie to receive a post launch patch.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of the "Are you a Mexican or Mexican't?" joke from Once Upon A Time in Mexico.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom

Besides the point but I would genuinely LOVE to see what a Wes Anderson Monster Hunter film looked like.

Think of the pastels!

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Oof. Way to just dive face first into cement. So many people had to make this happen writers, editors, actors, directors. So many people saw the scene, heard the words...and it still made it into the movie?

Yowza.

Happens a bunch of movies and it's always baffling nobody reviewing the scene in question stops for a moment and thinks "hmmm maybe we shouldn't do this"

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Note: the director of this is "Paul W. S. Anderson". Wes Anderson was the writer/director of, eg, Fantastic Mr Fox, Grand Budapest Hotel, The Life Aquatic, and others. Also not to be confused with Paul Thomas Anderson of Boogie Nights and Punch Drunk Love.

(Though, I would love to see a Wes Anderson take on Monster Hunter)

2 1/2 hours of a depressed, giant Gwyneth Paltrow roaming the countryside being pursued by a depressed, tiny Luke Wilson in a headband. She's finally brought down by a giant cannon that fires explosive Gene Hackmans.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get the punchline. I know it's supposed to be "chiknees", but wtf does that even mean, is there even a context to this?

Either way, this """"joke"""" shouldn't have made the cut, if not becuase it's offensive, then because it's dumb.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Happens a bunch of movies and it's always baffling nobody reviewing the scene in question stops for a moment and thinks "hmmm maybe we shouldn't do this"

Yowza.
I'm not sure y'all have ever seen a Paul W.S. Anderson film (good on you if that's the case):

That is not a joke edit. It's aggressively awful like that on purpose.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Wait, what's the offensive bit? What's the joke? What are the proverbial 'these' in the actually offensive rhyme?

Why are there US soldiers in a... Monster Hunter movie?

I think I'm just gonna leave.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the character is named Chai and then the joke at least makes sense I have no fucking clue.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Screen_Shot_2019-09-05_at_4.08.58_PM.jpg

Fucking Paul W S Anderson

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure y'all have ever seen a Paul W.S. Anderson film (good on you if that's the case):

That is not a joke edit. It's aggressively awful like that on purpose.

I've seen a bunch of em, they were a guilty pleasure of mine for a while but never seen that one and geez, that sure was an assault on the eyes. Catwoman's Basketball scene isn't so bad now haha.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I knew this should have been just 1h30m of silent Rathalos grinding, ending with hunter getting a plate.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Honestly seems like something that would have gone over the head of the writers as being offensive, I certainly wouldn't have noted it as being anything more than an awful pun. Obviously there's some historical context here that they really should have picked up on. I'm surprised that no one on the Capcom side would have noticed it since its problematic with Japanese people too.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I remember when I was a child in the 90s in the UK.
Kids would have rhymes which starts with "Chinese, Japanese"

They would pull the edges of their eyes up and down when saying it.

Seems like in America they say they have dirty knees.

This is a racist joke. The person writing will 100% know it's a racist joke.

Why are people in this thread saying "oh no it's just a silly rhyme"

Well done! đź‘Ť You've identified that some racist jokes have plausible deniability.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I think the only people who will get this "joke" are people who remember that old-timey racist kids rhyme...

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I was a child in the 90s in the UK.
Kids would have rhymes which starts with "Chinese, Japanese"

They would pull the edges of their eyes up and down when saying it.

Seems like in America they say they have dirty knees.

This is a racist joke. The person writing will 100% know it's a racist joke.

Why are people in this thread saying "oh no it's just a silly rhyme"

Well done! đź‘Ť You've identified that some racist jokes have plausible deniability.

yup