• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem is, it's not really a new development. Pretty much everything from the beginning was telling us something is off here, and all fingers pointed to Amber. But apparently a man being the victim of abuse is too incoveivable of an idea for some progressives to fathom.

I agree. This was a case where I was skeptical from the start. Not a single other former partner of Depp joined in to dogpile, which is rare in these cases, at least from what I've seen.

There was a sketchy vibe surrounding Heard from the beginning

I think there's something particularly diabolical about manipulating the downfall of a person's career strictly out of some sort of spite, if that is in fact what happened here.

I fully admit I don't know the full story. I'll withhold final judgment until more concrete information is revealed, but this looks terrible right now.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because you have to walk on eggshells around here. Supporting those men may be interpreted as male rights activism and your post will get reported and then you will get banned. It's mob rule.

The assaults that occur against men are almost never punished.

If I had done half of the things to women that have been done to me by women I would be serving hard time.
Not true, I've made male rape/abuse support threads here before with plenty of research to show the prevalence of Male victimization, and was not banned nor was anyone sharing their stories banned. The only people who were banned were people downplaying male victimization.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
On-topic, I can't remember if I even posted in the thread to begin with back on GAF, but I do remember feeling some type of way when I was watching Fantastic Beasts after hearing about the allegations. Even for something that minor, I do feel like I should apologize for it.
That's where I'm at. Just feel bad for thinking negative things about him that were informed by what I'd heard from others and one video on YouTube of him being upset and maybe smashing a glass? Feel like I should watch some classic Depp as penance, finally see Ed Wood.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a shame that no big media seem to be covering this.

Someone should tweet this Jason Mamoa

Gin & Phonics

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
what do you expect Jason Momoa to do?

Vocally support Johnny, refuse to make Aquaman 2 until Amber is recast, and demand that she henceforth be known as "the bed shitter".

Saw a petition going around to get her away from aquaman 2, had over 70k signs last time I saw it on Sunday.

Edit: it's at 133k now

Honestly asking, when has a public petition like this ever done something?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The other sad thing about this is that Heard abused her previous partner too, and everyone just forgot about that. It's not just that people ignore when women abuse men, they also ignore when women abuse other women. If it doesn't fit the most common abuse paradigm then people ignore it because it doesn't fit their worldview, and that silences victims.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Not true, I've made male rape/abuse support threads here before with plenty of research to show the prevalence of Male victimization, and was not banned nor was anyone sharing their stories banned. The only people who were banned were people downplaying male victimization.
That's not what he said at all.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
That's not what he said at all.

I mean I can relate to the argument that people need to bring this up carefully but ironically one reason I at least am hesitant to discuss these issues here is not that it is dismissed or considered mod-actionable, but that the threads about it can't stay on topic because they're constantly derailed by mod-whining.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The other sad thing about this is that Heard abused her previous partner too, and everyone just forgot about that. It's not just that people ignore when women abuse men, they also ignore when women abuse other women. If it doesn't fit the most common abuse paradigm then people ignore it because it doesn't fit their worldview, and that silences victims.

They didnt ignore it.

Heard lied about the police report then asked her ex partner to say it wasnt a big deal and exaggerated.

The police officers had to come out publically to say they visually witnessed the abuse and the victim, at the time, was distressed and in shock.

They also revealed she asked the police to wipe the content of her case so that it wouldnt become public.... they refused.

As to why the ex defended Amber later, there can be half a dozen reasons. Blackmail, payment, genuine sympathy thinking Amber was a victim now, simple forgiveness etc...

I'm gonna believe the police woman that Heard called homophobic. And turned out to be a lesbian activist.......

But people never cared for the correction of the facts and just rolled with the first version of that story.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's saying if you supported Johnny you got a ban. Is he wrong?
Not since the photo of what Heard did to his finger came out. Prior to that? It's possible, I honestly don't remember. FWIW I believed his claims that Heard abused him from the beginning, but I was aware of her prior history of domestic abuse. Many others weren't. For a while I thought it was a mutually destructive relationship, but as more and more info came out it became clear he was primarily the victim of her behavior.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Wooow

Something many people ignored :

During the divorce, because of all the elements presented by Depp, Heard's charges were dropped and her restraining order against him was dismissed.

That's why Heard and Depp were in the same place at comic con for their panels.

There was no restraining order anymore.....

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This was the most bizarre part of people turning on Depp for me. One has a history with a conviction and evidence, the other had previous partners come out and stand up for them. At the very least you gotta be willing to not take sides at that point.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
This audio is definitely telling. Heard really comes off really bad, and this is only a glimpse of how things are when they are actually fighting.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He said you can't support abused men on this forum without getting banned or running the risk of being banned. As an abused man who has tried to support other abused men on this forum, I disagree with that.
Yeah, but the context matters. He means in regards to standing up for someone like Depp when things seem very off and they're being accused. And saying they seemed off from the beginning here is putting it mildly.

Your threads are different entirely as you're not analyzing a developing situation and coming out against majority opinion on an alleged abuse case because you believe the man was abused. You're creating a supporting area for people to tell their stories. I've read some of these threads and they're great BTW. As someone that's been in the situation myself, they're good to read.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but the context matters. He means in regards to standing up for someone like Depp when things seem very off and they're being accused. And saying they seemed off from the beginning here is putting it mildly.

Your threads are different entirely as you're not analyzing a developing situation and coming out against majority opinion on an alleged abuse case because you believe the man was abused. You're creating a supporting area for people to tell their stories. I've read some of these threads and they're great BTW. As someone that's been in the situation myself, they're good to read.
Thanks, I'm glad I could do anything to help you. I see what you are saying, there is some truth to that. I think the difference here is that Depp was accusing her of abuse as well, which should've been taken equally seriously as her accusations (perhaps even more so due to her history of abusing other partners) and that did not happen. But perhaps it is more likely to happen now that more people have this situation as an example.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
They invested in her, emotionally attached themselves to her lies. Must not admit wrong doing. Let alone offer an apology.

For Johnny Depp this feels like a slap in the face as well. Even the truth is not good enough.

European medias, including feminist ones doing a mea culpa on this story, have actually taken a little bit of time but they are now calling it like it is.

I think they were waiting to see the response from american medias then realized none was coming.

They're not being nice to Amber Heard.

American medias have been absolutely shameful.

The author of this piece has been tweeting all week, and not a single word about this story.

da39c2b5d80e7f86f2df19ab2d0040c8.png

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
When people say the media has an agenda, it's in cases like this that you see it laid bare. Not one of the big guys carried this news, because it doesn't fit in with whatever narrative they had crafted, what a shame.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
European medias, including feminist ones doing a mea culpa on this story, have actually taken a little bit of time but they are now calling it like it is.

I think they were waiting to see the response from american medias then realized none was coming.

The author of this piece has been tweeting all week, and not a single word about this story.

That's because American media can't pull it's head out of Trump's ass for a minute to acknowledge anything else. Yeah and that author is shit

INST

Nov 2, 2017

Read somewhere on Twitter were they to walk back on it now, they would be open to lawsuits or something like that. Dunno how true that is.

The radio silence from the verified Twitterverse is also all kinds of fucked up. Reminds me of that Bill Burr bit where he says people give less of a shit if you are a man. Always thought it was not true and just for standup...not so sure about it now. People really seem to give less of shit and even reacting to it in a joking manner (he sounds drunk haha!) or scared to call it what it is: abuse (or even both sides it).

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I know it will be useless, but does anyone have that petition to remove her from Warner movies? I'm curious about how many people has signed it because the last number I saw was close to 40k.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure era already cut off Depps head when he was initially confused.

this an an awful thing to hear

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
They invested in her, emotionally attached themselves to her lies. Must not admit wrong doing. Let alone offer an apology.

For Johnny Depp this feels like a slap in the face as well. Even the truth is not good enough.

It's a touchy subject, we are more inclined to be more sympathetic towards women due to the fact that they overwhelmingly get the bad end of the stick abuse wise. That, and well, men suck at emotionally supporting other men. Even now you only get men being supportive of Depp to "STICK IT" to #teamwoke and they couldn't give a shit about male abuse victims at large and have their own agenda.

This whole thing has taught me a few things:

There are, exceptions to the rule. Society sympathizes more with female victims and people like Amber Heard are out there and abuse that fact to control a situation. Even now we have people defending her bullshit.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a touchy subject, we are more inclined to be more sympathetic towards women due to the fact that they overwhelmingly get the bad end of the stick abuse wise. That, and well, men suck at emotionally supporting other men. Even now you only get men being supportive of Depp to "STICK IT" to #teamwoke and they couldn't give a shit about male abuse victims at large and have their own agenda.

There are, exceptions to the rule. Society sympathizes more with female victims and people like Amber Heard are out there and abuse that fact to control a situation. Even now we have people defending her bullshit.

51% of white women voters chose Trump. Have to remind myself of that a lot. There's a lot of shitty women out there. More shitty men, but still a lot of shitty women.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

So because "some" guys will take advantage of it but you paint it as all men supporting Depp are only doing it to stick it to a movement?

I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that society tried to shut down anyone with a opinion that was not "fuck Johnny Depp"

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
So because "some" guys will take advantage of it but you paint it as all men supporting Depp are only doing it to stick it to a movement?

I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that society tried to shut down anyone with a opinion that was not "fuck Johnny Depp"

All I said was there are certainly people with an agenda of their own and it shows.

I'm not so sure about this "fuck Depp" being the only opinion allowed--even if that was the case I never let it shape my perspective on the matter.

Can't speak for everyone else, but the moment it got out that Heard might've had a hand in the abuse as well I defaulted to a neutral perspective (wait and see).

Unlike others, I didn't need a mountain of evidence to back my integrity, things issues should be viewed on a case by case basis.

Something the internet doesn't seem to understand.

51% of white women voters chose Trump. Have to remind myself of that a lot. There's a lot of shitty women out there. More shitty men, but still a lot of shitty women.

Yup, I think ERA and a lot of society has a massive blindspot when it comes to white women and the privilege that they carry as well.

For some reason it is ok to point out white male privilege and it stops there.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I have to be honest - it's really disturbing how no American press are talking about this. It's in the UK press from what I can see.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
There is a new audio leak ... It's pretty fucked up.

Source is daily mail again.

• Amber Heard ridicules Johnny Depp for claiming he is a victim of domestic violence in an explosive tape recording, exclusively obtained by DailyMail.com
  • She says: 'Tell the world Johnny, tell them... I Johnny Depp, a man, I'm a victim too of domestic violence... and see how many people believe or side with you'
  • Heard adds: 'You're bigger and you're stronger... I was a 115lb woman... You're going to get up on the stand, Johnny, and say, ''she started it''? Really?'
  • 'I have never been able to overpower you... there's a jury and there's a judge will see that there's a very big difference between me and you'
  • The divorcing couple spoke over the phone in June and July of 2016, with Heard ultimately yielding to Depp's plea to settle out of court for $7m
  • Their truce crumbled in December 2018 when Heard wrote an op-ed saying she was a domestic violence victim, although not naming anyone
  • Depp hit her with a $50m defamation suit, saying she implied he was the abuser, which caused him to lose his prized role of Captain Jack Sparrow
  • In their legal battle, both accused the other of domestic violence and DailyMail.com published a recording in which Heard confessed to 'hitting' Depp

A few points that I'm adding :

- It would imply Johnny did get violent with her on 3 occasions according to AH

- He asks her if she is willing to state these "under oath", implying she isn't being saying the truth

- She sees herself as the sole victim because "a woman can not abuse a man since she is weaker and the man can overpower her even if she starts the fight"

- She only filed because Depp's lawyers refused her monetary agreements

- She admits she has to fight for her honor because everybody online is now calling her a liar and a gold digger

Let's remember that Amber Heard's charges were dropped and her case dismissed with prejudice, because of some doctored evidence (including the texts, stripped of metadata and denied by the people included) and other unreliable testimonies...

Status
Not open for further replies.