• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"HBO Max has handed out three production commitments to one-hour dramas from Bad Robot Productions, including one set in the "Justice League Dark" universe.

In addition, HBO Max and Bad Robot have teamed on the series "Overlook," inspired by Stephen King's "The Shining," and "Duster," an original drama co-written by LaToya Morgan and Bad Robot's J.J. Abrams. All three shows will be executive produced by J.J. Abrams and Bad Robot's head of television, Ben Stephenson. Rachel Rusch Rich, Bad Robot's executive vice president of television, will serve as a co-executive producer. Warner Bros. Television will produce all three shows, while Warner Bros. International Television Distribution will be the global distributor for all three shows.

The three shows are the first television projects set up at HBO Max under Abrams' and Bad Robot's mega-deal with WarnerMedia that was unveiled in September 2019.

"What an amazing start to our association with the wildly imaginative Bad Robot team under J.J. and Katie [McGrath]," said Kevin Reilly, chief content officer of HBO Max and president of TNT, TBS, and truTV. "What could be better than an original J.J. idea and then Warner Bros. letting them loose on iconic I.P. from Stephen King and the DC Universe and to provide more must-have programming on HBO Max."

Source: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/ju...-shining-series-hbo-max-jj-abrams-1234582489/

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I'm in.

Got real confused for a second as I thought they were talking about the Katie McGrath from Supergirl and wondered when she started making shit with Abrams.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Hope Swamp Thing is going to be in this. Constantine should also be on the team, and Zatanna. Either way, this could be an awesome show. Just worried itll be too expensive to actually pull off.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
HBO MAX no HBO. And it's set in the Justice League Dark universe, but may not be THE JLD show.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I always read Justice League Dark like "Honey Comb BIG"

That said, I fucking loved Watchmen. People seem to like the other DC shows. So gimmie gimmie gimmie them miniseries production values!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Wasnt there another show that Bad Robot and JJ Abrams were already producing for HBO proper before they signed that deal?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if these will start shallow but promising before completely shitting the bed.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I gotta be honest - I've always been confused at the continued presence of Justice League Dark. The original Peter Milligan series was fine and I wasn't too impressed with the subsequent run with Wonder Woman. And yet, there's an animated movie (with an upcoming sequel), they were planning on doing TV adaptations in both the Constantine show AND the Swamp Thing show before they got the axe, there was that del Toro movie in development hell for years, and a handful of video game appearances. I get that the concept is fun, but it seems like they never really nail the execution.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shitting dick nipples

I loved the Justice League Dark movie, this is music to my ears

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
now that would be something

And it's happening ;)

source.gif

May 24, 2019
I gotta be honest - I've always been confused at the continued presence of Justice League Dark. The original Peter Milligan series was fine and I wasn't too impressed with the subsequent run with Wonder Woman. And yet, there's an animated movie (with an upcoming sequel), they were planning on doing TV adaptations in both the Constantine show AND the Swamp Thing show before they got the axe, there was that del Toro movie in development hell for years, and a handful of video game appearances. I get that the concept is fun, but it seems like they never really nail the execution.

DC has amazing fringe weird magic/dark characters but you can't really sell them to the broader world alone, so making a team "Justice League ___" or "____ Avengers" is just easier.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I hope it will be. It'll be separate and not related to the CW in any way.

This is dumb. If it's separate, they can coexist.

Matt Ryan's talent was wasted on Legends of Tomorrow. If he does play John in this show, then he's out for sure.

They definitely wouldn't use the CW version of John for this if it's not in the same universe, which it likely isn't.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is dumb. If it's separate, they can coexist.

They definitely wouldn't use the CW version of John for this if it's not in the same universe, which it likely isn't.

Popular opinion:
NBC John Constantine > CW John Constantine. There, I said it. And no, they're not in the same universe. Not even close, no matter how much the CW wants to pretend that it is, it just isn't. They did John dirty in Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow like I knew they would. HBO will do him justice, pardon the pun.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Popular opinion:
NBC John Constantine > CW John Constantine. There, I said it. And no, they're not in the same universe. Not even close, no matter how much the CW wants to pretend that it is, it just isn't. They did John dirty in Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow like I knew they would. HBO will do him justice, pardon the pun.

They're factually in the same universe.

And he's great in Legends.

So, no on both counts.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Popular opinion:
It's going to be hard doing Constantine justice when he's in a superhero team imo. He works the best when he's in his own isolated world with his set of supporting characters

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They're factually in the same universe.

And he's great in Legends.

So, no on both counts.

They're really not lol. I honestly don't care what the CW says, they're absolutely not in the same universe. Not even close. No mention of "the Rising Darkness" or Manny or anything. I don't consider it canon.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
If Watchmen managed to get HBO onboard the superhero train, sign me the fuck up.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
CW likes to pretend that it's in the same universe, but it ain't mate. CW Constantine is dumbed down to the max.

Again, you're confusing your own personal opinions (which is fine, I understand where you're coming from) with whether or not something is canon.

It is the same universe. That isn't up for debate.

But I do wish they would eventually give us an episode with Manny and Zed eventually. That would be fun.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The sooner they announce the death of DC Universe as a service, the better. I'm still confused how they're planning on releasing Doom Patrol on both services simultaneously. Makes no damn sense.

They either need to spin off the comics into a cheaper service, or just combine the whole damn thing under Max. There's no other option going forward regarding the TV and movie properties that makes any sense. I'm not subbing to both for either redundant or incomplete content.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Again, you're confusing your own personal opinions (which is fine, I understand where you're coming from) with whether or not something is canon.

It is the same universe. That isn't up for debate.

But I do wish they would eventually give us an episode with Manny and Zed eventually. That would be fun.

If you say so. Yeah, sure John would leave Zed and Chaz behind on a magical spaceship with them to deal with the rising darkness and manny on their own with absolutely no mention of them at all "rolls eyes"
I'm not having this argument.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the part of Doctor Sleep when it became a superhero fil so Im in on that series and maybe in the justice league: dark one too

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
If you say so. Yeah, sure John would leave Zed and Chaz behind on a magical spaceship with them to deal with the rising darkness and manny on their own with absolutely no mention of them at all "rolls eyes"
I'm not having this argument.

There's no argument to be had. I'm sorry you disagree with the direction of the character on Legends. But it's a fact that it's the same universe. You don't get to change that because you dislike it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's no argument to be had. I'm sorry you disagree with the direction of the character on Legends. But it's a fact that it's the same universe. You don't get to change that because you dislike it.

The day they appear on Legends or get mentioned, then I'll consider it canon. But until then, it's not canon/not in the same universe.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Holy shit, yes.

Part of me is hoping this is set in the DCEU. A third different Batman would be odd.

I feel Bradley Cooper would be a dope Constantine.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't tell if you're trolling or if you honestly don't understand what "canon" means.

Why would I be trolling? O_o I know what canon means, obviously. You seriously expect to tell me that they're in the same universe? The tone is totally off. John isn't even the same character personality wise. Have you rewatched the 2014 series and then watched him on Arrow/Legends?

The CW turned the character into a joke. He shouldn't even be on legends in the first place. People only complained when they cancelled the show and wanted him to be a member of the legends for some unknown reason. It doesn't work. It never did work. John is a loner. He's better of on his own, doing what he does best. Don't get me started on the whole "Astra" plot in Legends. Eesh, what a mess.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
You seriously expect to tell me that they're in the same universe? The tone is totally off.

Welp, I guess Arrow and Legends aren't in the same universe. I mean the tone of Arrow is completely off from people magically turning into a giant stuffed animal so...

John isn't even the same character personality wise. Have you rewatched the 2014 series and then watched him on Arrow/Legends?

Yes. I marathoned the entire Arrowverse in two months last fall.

I don't understand why you're continuing to argue this (after saying you wouldn't). This isn't up for debate. Legends literally picked up a plot line from the NBC Constantine show. They made a point to have John specifically mention that he knew a different Jim Corrigan than the one we met in Crisis, which is a direct reference to the NBC show that wasn't even needed.

This isn't hard: you don't personally like the tone and direction of Constantine in Legends.

It being the same universe is a fact.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Welp, I guess Arrow and Legends aren't in the same universe. I mean the tone of Arrow is completely off from people magically turning into a giant stuffed animal so...

Yes. I marathoned the entire Arrowverse in two months last fall.

I don't understand why you're continuing to argue this (after saying you wouldn't). This isn't up for debate. Legends literally picked up a plot line from the NBC Constantine show. They made a point to have John specifically mention that he knew a different Jim Corrigan than the one we met in Crisis, which is a direct reference to the NBC show that wasn't even needed.

This isn't hard: you don't personally like the tone and direction of Constantine in Legends.

It being the same universe is a fact.

Forget it. It's pointless arguing. Like I said, the day they come out and mention past characters (by name, an actual name) or they get a cameo, is the day when I believe it's canon. Until then ... well ... you know the rest.