Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

The Senate has voted 53 to 47 to confirm Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson as the 116th Supreme Court justice. When sworn in this summer, Jackson will be the first Black woman to serve on the nation's high court.

All 50 Senate Democrats, including the two independents who caucus with them, voted for Jackson's confirmation. They were joined by three Republicans: Sens. Mitt Romney of Utah, Susan Collins of Maine, and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska.

President Biden called the vote a "historic moment" for the nation.

"We've taken another step toward making our highest court reflect the diversity of America," Biden posted on Twitter with an image of him taking a selfie with Jackson.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
I was at the barber when this happened; we both stopped and watched the confirmation happen with my half haircut lol!

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
Great to hear. Good news from dc is so far and few between. But this is just great. Kudos to her.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
As I said in the other thread: Good shit.

Hell yeah.

Perfect.

And all that good fuckin food.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell, we need it.

7AbVLyr.gif

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
While I wasn't nervous about this one at all, I am so glad Biden managed to put in a hire for the supreme court.

Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic welcome aboard!

How does this work with Breyer stepping down? Is it all done on the same day (he steps down, she swears in) so there is no instance/cases of only 8 judges?

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Now the GOP will suddenly stop talking about her and put their energy on the "invasion" at the southern border.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Wooo! Amazing!

And then the pessimist side in the back of my brain comes back to remind me it won't change anything in terms of SCOTUS rulings :(

But it's still great news nonetheless.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see some purely good news in politics. Congratulations to Justice Brown!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Glad that Murkowski, Collins, and Romney came over. My O/U of 2.5 was prescient, shoulda taken bets.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic welcome aboard!

How does this work with Breyer stepping down? Is it all done on the same day (he steps down, she swears in) so there is no instance/cases of only 8 judges?

I believe he's finishing out this term which ends... in Oct I think, and then when the new term begins a couple weeks later, Judge Brown Jackson takes her seat.

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
Man it's been 12 years since a Democrat-nominated Supreme Court justice.

Also back then Elena Kagan got 63 votes and Sonia Sotomayor got 68 votes.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Have you heard of the Republicans Party?
Yep.

And their vindictive pettiness/fear of a government that actually represents the people of the country never fails to fucking amaze me, sadly.

I knew they were going to be against her but for it to be that close? Absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Great news!🎉🎉🎉

Now will Thomas please retire?? (from life if need be)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It is absolutely important to take a moment and acknowledge how great this is. Truly.